Thank you Arnheim

ladysaint

Have to say I thought their fans at SMS were amazing, but to carry on singing throughout a game they had no chance of winning, and stay and clap their players off at the end of a 0-5 agg score was nothing short of incredible.

And as said above it was not just at the ground, but the effort with banners, fanzone, entertainment in town and providing buses to the ground was quite exceptional.

Wish I could have been there.

Totally agreed. Some of the nicest, friendliest fans you could hope to meet. We ended up sleeping on a Vitesse fan's sofa, as we missed the last train back to Amsterdam. They couldn't have been more helpful

Great effort from the town with the fanzone too

Just to add to this, in Arnhem again tonight before s flight home tomorrow. Couldn't have asked for anything better. Perfect weather, atmosphere everything. Was sat in the home end for the game and no drama at all. Easiest busses to and from the ground i have ever seen.

They gave us a fanzone, cracking weather, a barbecue a dj, video screens and cheap, decent hotels. We gave them Yates.

Their fans made a bit of a 'zone' out of Guildhall square, though there wasn't anything extra there to accomodate them.

Fantastic trip, lovely town and great weather for it too. Oddly enjoyed the pilgrimage to the ground on the flyover, though I wouldn't want to do it in the rain. Couldn't help thinking that might have been our fate if we'd built the ground at Stoneham.

Did anyone else pick up a home end ticket at the ground then not get through the turnstile? Think the ticket office might have intentionally printed a bogus ticket, but the security were nice enough to let me in. Least I'd expect when a whole family in Saints shirts strolled straight in!

Congratulations guys, good luck against FC Midtjylland. I'm sure Southampton will march on ;)

Cheers just back now, what wonderful people you lot were, so friendly and welcoming. Arnhem is one of the most civilised places I have been to. Stayed in Velp which is a lovely suburb full of great bars and a great music festival last night.

Can't praise the inhabitants of your lovely city enough.

Yes, lovely place with very friendly locals. Wish we had the same cafe bar culture back in England.

Cafe culture is brilliant over there - went on a stag do in Antwerp*, waiter service at table, open to 4am, cracking beer and stodge to soak it up with, friendly locals. We all drank pretty much all day but with no need to rush your pint it was just a massive chillout. Drinking that much over here would inevitably have led to aggro.

*yeah I know its in Belgium, but they're virtually Dutch there...

Wonderful couple of days. Fantastic people. Great fun in "Southampton Square" with the Vitesse fans. Absolutely nailed a perfect volley (you had to be there lol). If only I had known 30 years ago that all that was required was a gallon of beer first

Absolutely unforgettable experience. Thank you to everyone in Arnhem, not just football fans. Made the day very special.

Second that. I have been lucky enough to travel the world watching football and had great times watching the World Cup in fan zones in Cape Town and Rio, but the welcome from everyone from train and bus staff to the bar staff and the club shop staff at Arnhem was outstanding. The atmosphere in the square with fans mixing, footballs being kicked around, music, beer and food was a delight, probably the best I have experienced.

They gave us a fanzone, cracking weather, a barbecue a dj, video screens and cheap, decent hotels. We gave them Yates.

We gave them Yates's from first thing in the morning, Guildhall Square, a place to gather without awful high-tempo music remixes all day, cracking weather, a choice of loads of places to eat, a ground comfortably within walking distance, an airport within 5 miles and trains right to the city centre, much MUCH better free programmes, and, ok, probably-not-that-cheap decent hotels. AND we didn't try to run them over on a bike.

Edited by The9

We gave them Yates's from first thing in the morning, Guildhall Square, a place to gather without awful high-tempo music remixes all day, cracking weather, a choice of loads of places to eat, a ground comfortably within walking distance, an airport within 5 miles and trains right to the city centre, much MUCH better free programmes, and, ok, probably-not-that-cheap decent hotels. AND we didn't try to run them over on a bike.

So in summary, yes, what they offered us wins hands down.

Haha said the same thing last night to the lads. **** poor that we cannot sort something similar.

Good to meet you the other night mate. Top bloke

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Couldn't thank Arnhem and it's people enough, that is how to play host. Invited us into their taxi's to and from the GelreDome, setting up that square with our flags, DJ booth etc, exchanging pints in the square, the applause for us and our players from both their fans and their players... the whole thing was just superb. They were a credit to European Football and we will be lucky to see ourselves treated anything like that elsewhere.

aaaarnhem2.jpg

aaaarnhem.jpg

aaaarnhem1.jpg

Hats off to the city of Arnhem, its people, its football club and their fans.

They did not have to go to such effort for us but they did, giving us Jansplaats (or "Shouthampton Shquare" as the DJ kept calling it) was a touch. Dread to think how many pints of lager in total was consumed there...! A good effort all round, great fun. The Dutch were so friendly and accommodating too.

I said to a Vitesse fan that it's a shame we didn't put anything on for them, but he assured me that they all had a great time in Southampton and loved it there. I thought Guildhall Square would have been perfect for something like that though.

Arnhem - Thank you.

Hats off to the city of Arnhem, its people, its football club and their fans.

They did not have to go to such effort for us but they did, giving us Jansplaats (or "Shouthampton Shquare" as the DJ kept calling it) was a touch. Dread to think how many pints of lager in total was consumed there...! A good effort all round, great fun. The Dutch were so friendly and accommodating too.

I said to a Vitesse fan that it's a shame we didn't put anything on for them, but he assured me that they all had a great time in Southampton and loved it there. I thought Guildhall Square would have been perfect for something like that though.

Arnhem - Thank you.

I said exactly this. Would be so easy to do.

I posted the link to this thread on a Vitesse forum and everyone was very happy with the comments.

Apart from one guy who didn't appreciate the spelling of Arnhem by the OP. Apparently "Arnheim" is the german spelling and they got rid of that 71 years ago! I assured them it was a genuine honest mistake though! :)

Great trip - it was like a holiday!!!

The people were so friendly and welcoming - this made us feel so relaxed.

Apologies to any Saints fans on here who followed my advice to get the number 1 bus to the Airbourne Museum. We did that on Friday and it was not the best way to get there - as we found out after changing buses 3 times and then having to walk half a mile.

Still it was worth it as the museum was excellent!

sent my thank you e-mail to Arnhem.................... thanks to Whitey for finding the link