CONFIRMED - Oriol Romeu joins on 3-Year Deal

Saint-Armstrong

@JackPittBrooke: Exclusive: Oriol Romeu close to joining Southampton from Chelsea on a permanent deal. More on @IndyFootball soon.

@JackPittBrooke: Oriol Romeu is having a medical at Southampton today after a fee was agreed between the clubs. Saints hope to confirm the move later today.

Former Barcelona, Chelsea and Valencia defensive midfielder. Still only 23.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

Never heard of him....which means he'll be brilliant.

This :)

edit: he fits the profile of the kind of player we target though.... young, bags of potential, champions league appearances, plenty of 'Under xx' appearances for Spain, hungry :) , etc.

Edited by trousers

Don't know much about Romeu, but I have to say I love the tactic of going after the "big clubs" young players. It actually uses our club's size as an advantage rather than a disadvantage. Gets so depressing hearing people say "of course we are going to lose our players we are a small club"... true, but where's the ambition? I dont want to see us just get pillaged and accept we are easy prey.

But, by going after players that bigger clubs might want to hold on to for 2-3 years time we can offer them a fantastic development at a growing club and put the likes of Chelsea in an awkward position of either gambling he won't be a first team player in the future or cough up for someone that might never break through.

This :)

edit: he fits the profile of the kind of player we target though.... young, bags of potential, champions league appearances, plenty of 'Under xx' appearances for Spain, hungry :) , etc.

How did he manage to play for both Spain and Hungary??

Signed for Barcelona, didn't play. Signed for Chelsea, didn't play. With a bit of luck he has realised what Bertrand did - theres more glamour and satisfaction in doing well for Saints than not appearing at a 'named' club.

To be fair, he did play when he first went to Chelsea and was good. He then got a nasty injury and when he recovered AVB who gave him a chance had long gone.

Just spoken to my mate, who has been a Chelsea STH for yonks.

- Very physically strong

- Very consistent

- Don't expect an attacking threat, but solid defensively

- He'd prefer Romeu to Mikel in their side

- Looked good under AVB and Benitez, got injured - no chance from Mourinho

- Can be a little bit slow on the ball at times, but that may change with more playing time

- Likes to anchor the midfield and content to let others charge upfield and 'hold the fort'

[h=2]icon1.png[/h]

Posted this a few days ago and maybe this guy I spoke too did have something from inside:

Latest snippet I've heard, Celtic are trying to get a Scandinavian CB in so that Van Dijk can leave. We are after a loan signing plus a top midfielder with premiership experience.

Pinch of salt job from me.

IMHO this guy from Chelsea could be the permanent signing so we are after a loan one still?