CONFIRMED - Oriol Romeu joins on 3-Year Deal

Saint-Armstrong

Really good signing. Pleased with this. Thoughts on the contract length though? Three years seems short for such a young player. Do you think this was to suit the club or the player?

Well, he's had 2 very bad knee injuries in his career so far. I imagine there are all sorts of clauses, like after so many games it gets extended, or there's an option to extend in the last year etc. It's just being careful I guess, as if the unlikely event occurs and he picks up another very bad knee injury, we haven't got him for 5 odd years.

@guan is this one you were referring to??

1 of 2. I can also confirm that we have enquired about a LCM (3rd player)on loan, but our initial offer was turned down. Whether we'll go back in for the same player, or move on, I have have no news just yet.

my Chelsea fan friend says he's very injury prone and spent last 3 seasons injured pretty much

Well, that's not true. He's turned out just under 50 times combined for Stuttgart and Valencia in the last two seasons.

He made 33 appearances for Chelsea (as per their OS) - but did spend 8 months out with an injury similar to Jay's.

Announced it on Five Live and presenter went straight to resident expert Kevin Kilbane for a view on it. He burbled something about Stoke signing Shakiri and then eventually said "yeah, good signing".

Never in the history of spoets broadcasting has an expert so blatantly never heard of a player. Brilliant.

I wonder why some players are given 3year deals and others longer

A kazillion permutations. Maybe the club is uncertain of potential, maybe the player is over/less confident.....The possibilities are endless in negotiations. Best to not worry about the undefinable.

A new name that hasn't been mentioned?

Yes. As I said on Monday, the club are trying to keep the signings under wraps until at least the medical. Such as was the case today. So far, i haven't seen the Loan target mentioned on here or elsewhere on the net (but i haven't trawled the HCDAJFU thread). But if the signing is close, i'll give a small update as i did on Monday : )

---------------------------

3rd post.

Yes. As I said on Monday, the club are trying to keep the signings under wraps until at least the medical. Such as was the case today. So far, i haven't seen the Loan target mentioned on here or elsewhere on the net (but i haven't trawled the HCDAJFU thread). But if the signing is close, i'll give a small update as i did on Monday : )

3rd post.

In the (new) Saints, I trust

1 of 2. I can also confirm that we have enquired about a LCM (3rd player)on loan, but our initial offer was turned down. Whether we'll go back in for the same player, or move on, I have have no news just yet.

Cheers. From an English or non-English club?

Yes. As I said on Monday, the club are trying to keep the signings under wraps until at least the medical. Such as was the case today.

So far, i haven't seen the Loan target mentioned on here or elsewhere on the net (but i haven't trawled the HCDAJFU thread).

But if the signing is close, i'll give a small update as i did on Monday : )

3rd post.

...now that has really put the cat amongst the pigeons. There will be 20 new guesses posted in the next 24 hours ....

3rd post.

Victor Moses? Linked last season, not this I believe. Attacking left sided midfielder. More physical than Davis. Who knows? Probably more of a winger really.

I have been thinking that an area we are lacking a bit is a wide midfielder. Obviously our core tactics don't want for one, but if we want to play Mane through the middle we probably need someone who can play on the left and give more cover to the full back. Tadic is quite attacking but can still do a job, but not when you have Rodriguez or Long on the other side. a LCM makes sense - someone who can play that role when needed, but is equally at home in the centre when we deploy our usual formation.

Pleased to have another new face on board what with the Europa league and that, just hope he's not been bought in to soften the blow of Big Vic moving on!!

really don't know much about him so look forward to seeing him play. Let's get a CB in, hopefully VVD, and I'll be more than satisfied with this window.

Pleased to have another new face on board what with the Europa league and that, just hope he's not been bought in to soften the blow of Big Vic moving on!!

really don't know much about him so look forward to seeing him play. Let's get a CB in, hopefully VVD, and I'll be more than satisfied with this window.

Why would you think that? No way in hell we would sell Vic at the moment ..........next summer, more than likely, but not at the moment.

Frankly playing as a DM Cork would have easily got in the team ahead of the last three. What kept him out was Morgan and Victor both playing blinders and Cork getting injured just when his chance to stake a claim came. Last season he played every game for Swansea after he moved there and could very well end up playing in a team that finishes higher than saints this season not bad for a player you constantly seem to want to belittle.

Well said!

We wanted him to stay and according to one of his former team mates who I spoke to recently, the offer that was on the table would have doubled his wages. Ultimately he went because we couldn't guarantee him first team football. A lot of players would have been happy to take the money and sit on the bench. You can't knock a player who wants to leave so that he can play regularly.

3rd post.

Let the wild guessing begin :D

Just for Turkish

1267120818-michail-antonio.jpg

Hmmmm left footed player more physical than Steven Davis...............................OMG he's coming home :D

1415187561624_wps_17_Southampton_s_Gareth_Bale.jpg

3 years is a decent length if he turns out to be something special then with a year left on his contract we would still make a profit on the reported £5 mil. And if he turns out to be like Mayuka then he's not on that long a contract.

Also Jack cork is massively overrated by saints fans if he was Dutch no one would care that he left he was average he is good enough for the premier league but he isn't anything special.