Maarten Stekelenburg, thoughts so far?

Mr X

I don't rate Forster that much for over 10 million but he's a huge step up on the likes of gazziniga who should be nowhere nr the first team , I think stekelenburg has done pretty good so far a couple of key important saves but positioning odd at times what's your thoughts?

Too early to say. He is obviously a decent keeper, his Dutch caps show that.

But, as I said, too early to fully assess.

It is clear though that our backup is ****e and its by miles our weakest squad position - until FF fit. Neither Gazza or KD would start for many/any Championship teams. It could bite us on the arse again this year and is still a suprise to me that the club seem comfortable with it, given how well they have shaped the rest of the squad.

Like him - though he hasn't had to make too many 'worldies' yet, did make an excellent save against vitesse when we were only 2 up and gets down well to shots. Exudes a calmness and confidence that I think translates to the back four. But as I say, still early days.

I don't rate Forster that much for over 10 million but he's a huge step up on the likes of gazziniga who should be nowhere nr the first team , I think stekelenburg has done pretty good so far a couple of key important saves but positioning odd at times what's your thoughts?

My thoughts are that he probably knows more about goalkeeper positioning than you do.

So far has filled me with confidence. Have to say, more so than FF I'm afraid. Stick The Stek behind Morgan and our back 4 of last season and you have a top keeper. Still the fact that remains that if Forster is out until next year we are an injury or suspension away from Gazza or KD again.

Can't really say much in respect of shot stopping, as Stek hasn't really been tested as of yet, however what he has had to do so far he's done well.

I like Forster and he did good things for us last last year, but I feel Stek has a better command of his area and gives off an aura of control IMO.

Everyone on here has a massive downer on gazza. I think he has come on leaps and bounds in the last year

Sent from my GT-S5301 using Tapatalk

you think hes shown enough that you think he can cut it in the premiership?

So far has filled me with confidence. Have to say, more so than FF I'm afraid. Stick The Stek behind Morgan and our back 4 of last season and you have a top keeper. Still the fact that remains that if Forster is out until next year we are an injury or suspension away from Gazza or KD again.

Morgan and last years back four were one of the meanest defences in the league when FF was in goal!

You're talking to a man who has already written off a 19 year old, based on the first game of the season. I wouldn't pay too much attention.

Depends on how seriously you took my comment. Plenty of people on here like to perceive it how they want to, then, at later stages, use it as some sort of weird bullying interweb stick to beat you with. :uhoh:

Miles better than Forster, as he'll prove this season.

Wouldn't go that far but I did notice he has a better starting position to save long shots.. I.e. The Cisse shot where he was already on the edge of the six yard box, whereas Forster would be about a yard off his line.

Still, two class goalies is better than one I'm told.

Hahaha.

But seriously, Forster doesn't have his command, presence and if you ever watch any Forster highlight, he's a more "in the way of the shot because I'm massive" goalkeeper, not because he's actually read the situation and reacted to it. Well, as long as it doesn't go in I suppose...

Hahaha.

But seriously, Forster doesn't have his command, presence and if you ever watch any Forster highlight, he's a more "in the way of the shot because I'm massive" goalkeeper, not because he's actually read the situation and reacted to it. Well, as long as it doesn't go in I suppose...

I think the last sentence is pertinent.

Stekelenberg has looked decent, but I expected that, he's a Dutch International who played for Roma for a while. I ignore Fulham because it was a joke of a club when he joined.

I think he's been absolutely superb. Hasn't put a foot or hand wrong, and the goals he's conceded no keeper could have done anything with - deflected looping cross with pace on it against Newcastle and a header from 6 yards against a stationary defender which he couldn't have got out to in time and wouldn't have been able to stop at that speed.

Improvement on Forster, dare I say it?

Everyone on here has a massive downer on gazza. I think he has come on leaps and bounds in the last year

Completely agree - still not up to Prem standard but has made massive improvements - I expect he'll go on loan to a Championship side when Forster is fit.

Completely agree - still not up to Prem standard but has made massive improvements - I expect he'll go on loan to a Championship side when Forster is fit.

Agree with that. He's definitely got potential, but unfortunately I think us f**king about with 3 different goalies first season back in the prem, with a shocking defence didn't help him. He should ideally have gone straight back on loan to Gillingham then.

I think he's a step up on Forster, but then he has more experience so that could be expected. I also think that Forster will be seriously good in a few years, but Stekelenburg edges it for me at the minute because he just seems more commanding and gets to low shots (well, i've seen him get to one..)

Always thought he'd be good for us, though, when we signed him - you don't play in a world cup final without being pretty good...

I think he's a step up on Forster, but then he has more experience so that could be expected. I also think that Forster will be seriously good in a few years, but Stekelenburg edges it for me at the minute because he just seems more commanding and gets to low shots (well, i've seen him get to one..)

Always thought he'd be good for us, though, when we signed him - you don't play in a world cup final without being pretty good...

Step up on Forster without doubt

Would've Pm'd you this instead if I could, so apologies for going 'off-topic' on the thread (as if that were even 'a thing' on SWF, lol).

Plenty of people on here like to perceive it how they want to, then, at later stages, use it as some sort of weird bullying interweb stick to beat you with. :uhoh:

Seriously mate - you shouldn't even allow it to register a blip on your radar.

There is a (relatively) small group of regulars here who are 6-12 year old school children. I do concede it is possible they may actually be fully grown-assed men who still think and behave like they are 6-12 year old children -- but I llike to offer the benefit of any potential doubt, and assume the former. ;)

Back in the S4E days, you were one of a small group of posters I enjoyed reading so much that I joined up myself. You have been a highly respected member by many for a long time, across the various incarnations, and I'm sure there are many still around today who also appreciate your contributions over the years as I do. :)

Let's be honest - you have kind of made a bit of an arse of yourself here in the not too distant past mate, and you know and accept why you got some stick off many at the time... ;)

but it doesn't help that some of the kids in the playground seem intent on never letting you forget it. Just try to remember what it was like when you had the mental age of a small child. Eventually either they'll get bored or grow out of it - or you'll simply grow a thick enough skin that such juvenile drivel just whooshes straight over your head, and doesn't bother you anymore in the slightest. For your sake, I hope its growth is a speedy one. :lol:

Ohh, and that Stekelenburg lad - class 'keeper by the way.

I still think it's interesting to note that nothing Lungs said in the thing he's still getting hammered for was actually not true, the only bit that was wrong he clearly noted was guesswork even at the time. Which obviously was because his contact at the club left with Cortese so everything after that time was speculation.

I can't do anything about his comment about Forster being a League One keeper at best, though, he's at worst a top half Championship one like Scott Carson.

Edited by The9

The club may surprise us on deadline day with a signing for the No2 position - I'm not ITK. But if a quality GK becomes available on the day ....

That definitely is not going to happen unless Stekelenburg also gets a season ending injury.

Like him - though he hasn't had to make too many 'worldies' yet, did make an excellent save against vitesse when we were only 2 up and gets down well to shots. Exudes a calmness and confidence that I think translates to the back four. But as I say, still early days.

Not sure I saw much evidence of calmness and confidence in the defence last weekend at Newcastle! They were all over the place in the first half, and Soares seemed especially on edge.

Depends on how seriously you took my comment. Plenty of people on here like to perceive it how they want to, then, at later stages, use it as some sort of weird bullying interweb stick to beat you with. :uhoh:

Like perceiving that someone would sulkily hint for months and months and months that they know exactly what is wrong with the club, how it is a shambles from top to bottom, the people running it are a bunch of tossers who don't know what they are doing and we have no hope of ever achieving anything ever again now the angry midget in built up shoes has left. Making *****y comment after spiteful remark for weeks and weeks about the club and its management. Then when they did finally manage to type and type and type exactly what they claimed they knew as to why the club was "in the mess we're in" and "on a downward curve" it turned out to be a complete load of laughable bo-llocks none of which ever came true it made you look a bigger helmet than you look for being identical to rylan from x-factor. Is that the sort of "perception" you are on about as the 'internet bully stick to beat you with"? Because to me that sort of perception is bang on the money pal.

I still think it's interesting to note that nothing Lungs said in the thing he's still getting hammered for was actually not true, the only bit that was wrong he clearly noted was guesswork even at the time. Which obviously was because his contact at the club left with Cortese so everything after that time was speculation.

I can't do anything about his comment about Forster being a League One keeper at best, though, he's at worst a top half Championship one like Scott Carson.

What do you mean "nothing was not true"? It was pretty much entirely his opinion about things, primarily spoon fed to him by some disgruntled mate of Adam Lallana. So nothing true or false about it - his opinions, which did, very quickly prove to be way, way off the mark.

It was how he presented them as grand revelations that was the funny bit for me, especially when they eventually dribbled out and the true source - a spoilt stroppy footballer angling for his payday - was painfully obvious. Crabby's utter inability to process the info he was privy to was from whence the comedy arose.

To save face he decided to cling on to his Forster opinion as a final stick to beat Les and Co with but unfortunately for him we ended up with the second best defensive record in the division and Forster recognised as an excellent Premier League keeper.

Edited by CB Fry

How can you say he is better than Forster? considering he has only played like 3 games for us? lol some people crack me up on here

Because I've already seen him in De Kuip getting the crap booed out of him for being a former Ajax player and catching whipped in crosses on the bounce without a moment's hesitation or any hint of a mistake.

Forster is a good keeper, but his kicking is occasionally erratic (though mostly very long and safe) and he's been known to drop and fumble the odd ball and doesn't command his box the way Stekelenburg (or even Gazzaniga for that matter) does. Stekelenburg has been absolutely flawless so far, it's difficult to see a time when he's hesitant or error-prone (though playing behind the current defence for too long might do it).