Maarten Stekelenburg, thoughts so far?

Mr X

Forster is a good keeper, but his kicking is occasionally erratic (though mostly very long and safe) and he's been known to drop and fumble the odd ball and doesn't command his box the way Stekelenburg (or even Gazzaniga for that matter) does.

Jesus. Gazzaniga doesn't command his own feet let alone the box.

Lets see Stekelenburg in more games then say he is better than Forster, who did very well for us last year.

Not sure I saw much evidence of calmness and confidence in the defence last weekend at Newcastle! They were all over the place in the first half, and Soares seemed especially on edge.

They were being overrun because we had no wide midfielders stopping the attacks - Targett and Cedric were forced into fouls in positions where normally they might not even be the Saints players making the challenge, and Yoshida was out wide trying to close down AND trying to get back into the box leaving gaps.

I thought Cedric played pretty well considering the amount of stuff he was being asked to do, and he only came off due to the yellow card and us having another right back on the bench. Tactically we stopped most of the overlaps second half anyway, so Martina got an easier ride - the second goal was from Targett giving the ball away too easily with most of our team ahead of the ball, and even then it was an excellent cross and a poor attempt at challenging the striker by Martina (not Wanyama as claimed on some commentary).

Lets see Stekelenburg in more games then say he is better than Forster, who did very well for us last year.

Yeah, you haven't seen much of him recently. He's streets better than he was two seasons ago at organising and claiming crosses.

Unless Stekelenburg completely goes to pieces behind a poor defence, I've already seen enough to know he's comfortably better than Forster at the basics.

Yeah, you haven't seen much of him recently. He's streets better than he was two seasons ago at organising and claiming crosses.

Unless Stekelenburg completely goes to pieces behind a poor defence, I've already seen enough to know he's comfortably better than Forster at the basics.

When it counted in the U21s two nights ago he was feeble to say the least.

Fair enough, he's probably getting used to a new defence. Stekelenburg is experienced enough to take that kind of thing in his stride.

Of course. Stekelenburg and Forster are not even comparable to Gazza. He needs a loan spell and shouldn't be the no 2 keeper in a PL side.

He wouldn't be a no1 for the vast majority of Championship sides.

IF... this loan season works out well, we should certainly sign him properly, not just as cover but as competition for Forster (who hopefully will regain his proper form).

Any team with pretensions to a regular top six in the Prem. or even a CL place needs two reliable international keepers, not just for form, but injury cover, too.

Because I've already seen him in De Kuip getting the crap booed out of him for being a former Ajax player and catching whipped in crosses on the bounce without a moment's hesitation or any hint of a mistake.

Forster is a good keeper, but his kicking is occasionally erratic (though mostly very long and safe) and he's been known to drop and fumble the odd ball and doesn't command his box the way Stekelenburg (or even Gazzaniga for that matter) does. Stekelenburg has been absolutely flawless so far, it's difficult to see a time when he's hesitant or error-prone (though playing behind the current defence for too long might do it).

Well that's definately not true

Would've Pm'd you this instead if I could, so apologies for going 'off-topic' on the thread (as if that were even 'a thing' on SWF, lol).

Seriously mate - you shouldn't even allow it to register a blip on your radar.

There is a (relatively) small group of regulars here who are 6-12 year old school children. I do concede it is possible they may actually be fully grown-assed men who still think and behave like they are 6-12 year old children -- but I llike to offer the benefit of any potential doubt, and assume the former. ;)

Back in the S4E days, you were one of a small group of posters I enjoyed reading so much that I joined up myself. You have been a highly respected member by many for a long time, across the various incarnations, and I'm sure there are many still around today who also appreciate your contributions over the years as I do. :)

Let's be honest - you have kind of made a bit of an arse of yourself here in the not too distant past mate, and you know and accept why you got some stick off many at the time... ;)

but it doesn't help that some of the kids in the playground seem intent on never letting you forget it. Just try to remember what it was like when you had the mental age of a small child. Eventually either they'll get bored or grow out of it - or you'll simply grow a thick enough skin that such juvenile drivel just whooshes straight over your head, and doesn't bother you anymore in the slightest. For your sake, I hope its growth is a speedy one. :lol:

Ohh, and that Stekelenburg lad - class 'keeper by the way.

Hi Halo, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, just read this... appreciate what you've said, seriously.

What I don't get is... I've made a climb-down from what I said and I did pass on everything that I'd been told but yet, for some reason, more than a year later, I'm still being trolled. To be honest, it's a bit weird. I'd be quite happy to engage with these people, sensibly, but the same old tired lines are just repeated, over and over, for no real good reason even when I'm simply posting an opinion.

I made an arse out of myself, agreed and I've admitted that. Bit weird some people can't let it go though. Quite happy to bury the hatchet but it appears they aren't. Doesn't matter anyway, it's only the internet.

What do you mean "nothing was not true"? It was pretty much entirely his opinion about things, primarily spoon fed to him by some disgruntled mate of Adam Lallana. So nothing true or false about it - his opinions, which did, very quickly prove to be way, way off the mark.

Wrong.

It was how he presented them as grand revelations that was the funny bit for me, especially when they eventually dribbled out and the true source - a spoilt stroppy footballer angling for his payday - was painfully obvious. Crabby's utter inability to process the info he was privy to was from whence the comedy arose.

Is it still that funny, 12 months or so on? Really. I never told anyone my "source" and FWIW, there was two or three people and it was nothing to do with Lallana.

To save face he decided to cling on to his Forster opinion as a final stick to beat Les and Co with but unfortunately for him we ended up with the second best defensive record in the division and Forster recognised as an excellent Premier League keeper.

No, I don't cling to that opinion to beat Uncle Les or co... I just don't think he's very good. I'm normal enough a human being to differentiate between the purchase of a player and the actions of the footballing board. I'm also normal enough to admit things that I'm wrong about and laugh about it if so. You just seem a bit bitter and a bit weird.

Time to let it go? I'm ready.

• 1 month later...

Still hard to really judge.

Positives are he seems calm which transmits to the defence and his kicking off both feet is very secure.

He does seem to have a mistake in him though. Still feel he shouldnt get beaten for the Willian goal, and can't really recall any saves so far that have been much other than routine

Has a habit of dropping the ball also which has luckily gone unpunished.

Very tough to judge, as was Forster the first few games of last year.

Positives are he seems calm which transmits to the defence and his kicking off both feet is very secure.

He does seem to have a mistake in him though. Still feel he shouldnt get beaten for the Willian goal, and can't really recall any saves so far that have been much other than routine

But less calamitous than Boruc I think you would agree ! On the whole I think he is a good keeper and there is no need to rush back F. Forster.

Are you kidding??? no keeper on this planet would saved that goal from William's

Are you kidding??? no keeper on this planet would saved that goal from William's

Was a well struck shot and my uncertainty about Stekelenburg goes much beyond that one incident but it was on his side, close to him and was a long way out so he could see the trajectory of the ball.

If a Hart or De Gea hadnt saved it they would have been questioned I think.

When he lined it up there you aren't concerned about it being a direct free kick goal.

Anyway, as I said, its not based on that. The whole Falcao incident was avoidable. He was very slow to come for the ball. Then dropped a shot in the box just afterwards. Similar to at WBA.

Edited by Saint Charlie

He's ok, pretty competent I guess, but he does scare me at times. For example when he dropped a simple catch yesterday to the feet of Hazard. His positioning for the Willian goal was also dodgy, but I doubt anyone would have saved that shot. Still think a fit Forster is slightly better.

He's ok, pretty competent I guess, but he does scare me at times. For example when he dropped a simple catch yesterday to the feet of Hazard. His positioning for the Willian goal was also dodgy, but I doubt anyone would have saved that shot. Still think a fit Forster is slightly better.

Yeah we were quite lucky it fell to Hazard, and literally not anyone else.

I'm yet to see him make anything other than routine saves. He doesn't inspire much confidence in me and is slow off his line.

When we signed him I thought he'd be better, but having seen him play in a run of games I'm not convinced at all.

You are joking right.Willian's goal went in off the post almost in the top corner.was a cracking goal and neigh on impossible to stop.

You are joking right.Willian's goal went in off the post almost in the top corner.was a cracking goal and neigh on impossible to stop.

As said, was a cracking shot but was miles out and the keeper was stood next to the post and didnt have to make any ground up scrambling across.

Probably you are right, just what I thought at the time.

And also, not a factor in my uncertainty to label him a success.

Was at Stamford Bridge and thought Stek could have done better. Seem slow footed and, while the shot was well-placed, it wasn't particularly powerful.

it dipped and bent a lot though and was inch perfect. A tiny bit to the right or higher and it would have hit the woodwork. Tiny bit to the left Steklenburg would have saved it.. Its all about covering the most vulnerable areas, which he did. Fantastic free kick

Stek is and adequate second keeper but no more than that. I have noticed that he does not move his feet much as play is happening - this is critical and why he always looks slow to react. He's having to take an extra step to get positioned.....if his feet were moving more he would not have to take that extra step (e.g. he is always on his heels instead of his toes) and be quicker coming off the line and to the ball and reacting to the ball coming in.

Forster is a top class keeper and a major reason the defence was so solid last season. Can't believe some people still think Forster is poor.

At first I thought he should have kept it out however having seen it a few times since I'm not so sure. If Willian meant it then fair play. Overall I think we have two good goalkeepers at the club now.

Only one fit keeper who is anywhere near being good enough. Same as every PL season and in each of the others its cost us points at some stage.

Built a good, deep squad with 4 very capable CBs as an example, yet always leave ourselves open at GK.

Every other PL side has a better sub keeper than a 39 year old Kelvin Davis who was not PL class even in his prime years. Hence Koeman not even trusting them in Capital One Cup matches.

Only one fit keeper who is anywhere near being good enough. Same as every PL season and in each of the others its cost us points at some stage.

Built a good, deep squad with 4 very capable CBs as an example, yet always leave ourselves open at GK.

Every other PL side has a better sub keeper than a 39 year old Kelvin Davis who was not PL class even in his prime years. Hence Koeman not even trusting them in Capital One Cup matches.

We're not going to get another quality keeper in who is happy to be 2nd or 3rd choice when Forster is back though are we?

We're not going to get another quality keeper in who is happy to be 2nd or 3rd choice when Forster is back though are we?

No. But next season we also won't have Stekelenburg and we wouldnt have signed him if Forster was fit.

2nd keeper generally a big area to improve for us next season.

...we are all assuming that Forster will come back as good as he was, whereas a good Prem. side needs at least TWO keepers with good international experience.

We could do worse than sign him permanently next summer, and let them fight it out for the No. 1 keeper spot.

I still think he's fantastic, distracted by Falcao being in an offside position yesterday (and an all but unsavable free-kick) but he's still better than Forster and we should sign him permanently.

Thank you for saying that.

Forster won't get better now, I doubt that very much. He's 27, 28 and whilst just shifting into his prime, he doesn't really show any signs of improving or learning from his mistakes, of which there were a few last year; many of which that went unpunished.

Stekelenburg has had at most, 2-3 wobbles but is far more well-rounded goalkeeper, ability wise. Forster, on the other hand, is fantastic at a couple of things and bang average with the rest. There are better goalkeepers in League One.

you really are deluded crab lungs. Forster is so bad he's England's number 2, was part of the meanest defence in the Premiership last season and kept a ton of clean sheets before his injury.

Stick to your Nostradamus predictions of #meltdown.

Better keepers in League 1.....wow. What an utterly stupid, moronic statement

I saw Fraser today driving around Winchester in his Overfinch. He pulled up behind me and I'm hoping my VW hasn't damaged his lungs...

Anyway, I was thinking about him watching the game yesterday and I think the difference between Fraser and an average keeper is that he is capable of world class saves. I think Stek is a good keeper, and protects his near post, but if it's an amazing shot, it's going in, however Fraser has and does save those.

I saw Fraser today driving around Winchester in his Overfinch. He pulled up behind me and I'm hoping my VW hasn't damaged his lungs...

Anyway, I was thinking about him watching the game yesterday and I think the difference between Fraser and an average keeper is that he is capable of world class saves. I think Stek is a good keeper, and protects his near post, but if it's an amazing shot, it's going in, however Fraser has and does save those.

Completely disagree. You see goalkeepers at all levels able to make "one for the cameras" type saves. What seperates the very good from the competent are the things fans don't notice or appreciate. Positioning, communicating with the back four, command of the box, doing the supposedly simple things so well the they look simple. Sometimes when you see a keeper make a great save its because their positioning was wrong in the first place. A back four is a much better back four when it trusts its keeper. Obviously making world class saves is part of it but It's those things that make a good keeper a great keeper.

Completely disagree. You see goalkeepers at all levels able to make "one for the cameras" type saves. What seperates the very good from the competent are the things fans don't notice or appreciate. Positioning, communicating with the back four, command of the box, doing the supposedly simple things so well the they look simple. Sometimes when you see a keeper make a great save its because their positioning was wrong in the first place. A back four is a much better back four when it trusts its keeper. Obviously making world class saves is part of it but It's those things that make a good keeper a great keeper.

I'd go along with this, I really can't remember too many Hollywood saves from Forster, yet he had the best record in the League. Meanwhile Kelvin pulls off some great saves, whilst flapping at crosses and letting in suspect shots at his near post.

Stek has been very good so far, he might have done better for Willian's goal but not a howler by any stretch. Overall I'd still say FF is better though.

you really are deluded crab lungs. Forster is so bad he's England's number 2, was part of the meanest defence in the Premiership last season and kept a ton of clean sheets before his injury.

Stick to your Nostradamus predictions of #meltdown.

Better keepers in League 1.....wow. What an utterly stupid, moronic statement

No, what is deluded is to think their isn't better keepers out there when there quite clearly is.

We kept a lot of those clean sheets because of our tactical set up and players, not just because of Forster. It's moronic if you think otherwise.

FF is ok, not great. Funny thing is, he'd have probably have got to Willian's shot but overall, I feel much, much calmer with Stekelenburg in goal and you know what... if you look closely, it appears our defence does too.

I feel much, much calmer with Stekelenburg in goal and you know what... if you look closely, it appears our defence does too.

That's why Fonte has looked so dodgy this year up until the last couple of games? I literally don't know what you're looking at to come to that conclusion.