Sky reporting Fonte in talks with Villa

Fitzhugh Fella

That is incredibly silly in the current situation. If he was to leave it would be for a far better side than them (or Palace for that matter).

I will say I expect him to go in the summer though, he's had at least a year more than usual of being good for us without a top 6 side signing him.

Ditto Mane and Wanyama, and maybe Rodriguez, Pelle and Cedric could leave too.

Just watched that myself, saying Van Dijk would maybe replace him rather than partner him. Hopefully that's not the case.

Caulker plays the same side as Fonte, but I still think it's pretty unlikely - he's not shown any of the usual signs of leaving, he's been at every training session and is playing matches for a start.

Perhaps this is is why we are after Virgil Van Dijk and Kalidou Koulibaly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was my first thought - he certainly didn't look himself last week though - not that any of our defence looked solid

would be genuinely amazed if this happened.

Was only a week or so ago he was getting all emotional about captaining us in Europe, why he swap that and Koeman for Villa and Sherwood.

Also, he was quoted on VVD and what a good player he is - if he knew that was his replacement as suggested above, i doubt he'd be giving it that chat.

Would put this down as media looking at who needs what, who is linked with who, plus agents getting in the mix.

Why would Fonte go to the likes of Villa? He has been working on achieving European football since League 1 with Saints and now we have it. If he went to Villa or Everton there is now guarantee that he will ever play in a European competition at his age in his career.

So one is on a wind up. Or it is his agent talking ****!

Fonte to swap five years of work, to get to the point of captaining Southampton in Europe as one of the club's top earners... for what?

Tim Sherwood, an owner who is looking to sell at the first opportunity without putting any more money into the club, and a club who don't sell out their ground after spending seasons scrapping around the relegation zone.

Don't see it.

VILLA IN FONTE TALKS

Aston Villa could be set to make another signing this summer as we understand they are talks to sign Southampton captain Jose Fonte.

The defender signed a new deal last summer until 2017 but it is understood that Villa and Everton are interested in signing him.

Saints, though, would not let him leave without signing a replacement centre-back and Celtic's Virgil van Dijk is their number one target.

Sounds crazy but then i remember thinking the same when there was talk of Lambert going. I honestly don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility, especially since we're looking at the center back from Napoli (according to rumours).

Personally i'd be extremely disappointed if it was true as he's been there since league one and seems like a real leader, but at the end of the day there's little to no sympathy in this game so it won't be a shock either.

VILLA IN FONTE TALKS

Aston Villa could be set to make another signing this summer as we understand they are talks to sign Southampton captain Jose Fonte.

The defender signed a new deal last summer until 2017 but it is understood that Villa and Everton are interested in signing him.

Saints, though, would not let him leave without signing a replacement centre-back and Celtic's Virgil van Dijk is their number one target.

Van Dijk and Caulker, replacements for Alderweireld and Gardos. So, as Saints "would not let him leave without signing a replacement centre-back", we're not letting him leave.

Seems ridiculous to me, what can Villa offer him that we can't? He's the first name on the teamsheet every week, and rightly so. As many have pointed out he's just got a new agent who's probably looking for a pay day, either from a transfer or a new contract. We can't afford to lose Jose, our defence has already looked shaky this season, it would fall apart without him. Should be our highest earner.

People need to get a grip ffs. This place is a nuthouse at times.

Only last week he was saying that leading saints out in Europe was the proudest moment of his career. He isn't leaving for villa. How is that remotely believable?

And look, this is me telling you this! According to some (bunch of numpties) I am one of the biggest bed wetters" on the forum for highlighting that our current first 11 isn't as strong as last season's first 11 yet! :mcinnes: :lol: