Sky reporting Fonte in talks with Villa

Fitzhugh Fella

My gut feel is that this won't happen but, putting our 'emotional attachment' to Fonte to one side for a moment, it could well be a shrewd move by the club if they were to let him go as his monetary value is probably at a peak right now and if we get VvD we'd still have a decent clutch of CBs on our books. In other words, from a pure business point of view it could be argued that now is the right time to sell him.

That said, and as I say, I can't see it happening as Fonte is much more important to the club than his monetary value IMO, but there again, similar sentiments applied before we let Rickie go...

My gut feel is that this won't happen but, putting our 'emotional attachment' to Fonte to one side for a moment, it could well be a shrewd move by the club if they were to let him go as his monetary value is probably at a peak right now and if we get VvD we'd still have a decent clutch of CBs on our books. In other words, from a pure business point of view it could be argued that now is the right time to sell him.

That said, and as I say, I can't see it happening as Fonte is much more important to the club than his monetary value IMO, but there again, similar sentiments applied before we let Rickie go...

Rickie wanted to go thought, suspect Fonte doesn't or he said he would only leave for a top four club.

Has the OP had a mare here with his sensationalist reporting of a link?

For those who didn't see it, what exactly was said?

Get over yourself you pompous ****. Just reporting what Sky said and they said "in talks". People like you drag this forum down with unnecessary personal attacks.

This is what I hate about the modern game .... greedy footballers using the media to cream themselves another few million!

:lol: Why is this about greedy footballers and not about Villa putting a bid in for a player they'd like to sign? Nice claim you make with no facts to back it up.

I've now got rabid Aston Villa fans going for me on Twitter because I said they're not what they were, they're a relegation battler with a loudmouth manager who needs to prove his worth and an owner who is looking to sell and move on.

Oh boy.

Apparently we're a 'yo-yo club', nobody knows who we are and none of our players want to be here.

My thoughts, not the ideal time for this a week into the season for it to be happening if it really is.

Beyond that looking at player who will hit 32 later in the year, if Villa offer us crazy money & Fonte wants whatever payday they are offering too & we get a replacement in Van Dijk first, then i'd be accepting. If he's happy to stay, isn't looking for a big wage increase and long contract extension then i'd be perfectly happy to keep him, forgoing any future transfer fee recoup from him.

It would be interesting to see who would take the captaincy. Davis is N.Ireland captain but will he play every week, maybe Bertrand when he comes back.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

He would get probably an improved pay day ......he is reaching an age where both he and saints will think it prudent to move.

We then replace him with an 'upgrade' that will move the club forward with the future in mind.......VVD and Koulibaly to be our central pairing.

Makes financial sense and improve the squad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps Fonte has been told by Koeman that we are looking to sign both VVD and Kalidou Koulibaly as our long term central defensive partnership and Fonte at this stage of his career see's it as an opportunity for a lucrative final deal rather than see his playing chances diminish at Saints??

He would get probably an improved pay day ......he is reaching an age where both he and saints will think it prudent to move.

We then replace him with an 'upgrade' that will move the club forward with the future in mind.......VVD and Koulibaly to be our central pairing.

Taking the emotional attachment out of it, I'll reserve judgement until I see how we are doing if this does indeed happen

Who would you give the armband to?

Bringing in a totally new first choice CB pairing, neither with Prem experience, would be a total complete and utter ****-up. There is simply no way that this will happen. Forget about it.

I agree and I hope to god that you're right.

I was told yesterday by a senior figure within the club that there was some 'news' coming this week and to watch this space (no indication of whether it would be positive or negative).

I thought he was over-egging it when I heard the breaking Romeu signing news last night..... so 'maybe' there is/was some truth with this Fonte rumour?

The club need to put a stop to this rumour with a no nonsense statement saying we have no intention of selling our captain to a club like villa.

If Jose is angling for a move we need to take him to one side and tell him that it's not happening, then if he feels the same next season or at christmas let it be known via the press/agents that we're willing to listen to offers for him, so it looks like we want rid not the other way round.

We need to show that we're the ones calling the shots, this is all about perception, the club may be happy to let him go, but we need to show that it is us instigating the sale, not the player wanting a move, or a club coming in with a bid.

Wow I'd be surprised still life left in him yet and he is the main organiser of our, quite frankly excellent last season, defence. We don't want to many new faces in the team got to improve while keeping some continuity IMO. Can't believe the club are going to get that much of a pay out to make it worth selling our best defender and captain. Then again after last summer I won't take anything for granted.....

This is blatantly made up. They seem to think Caulker was he Alderweireld replacement, and as such VVD is the replacement for Fonte. Idiots.

Is it? Sky Sports are reputable with their sources.

You've gone from using "blatantly made up" to "they seem to think", which means you have absolutely no idea about anything to do with this story.

The wording is always interesting in these things "Aston Villa pursuing", "is a transfer target for", "Villa are in talks". The first 2 purely relate to what Villa may want and not necessarily anything that's going on while the "talks" could be as simple as Villa saying "Would you sell?" and us saying "no".

Now having links to Van Dijk and Koulibaly may indicate a slight bit of truth to this but I can't really think of any good reason for Fonte to leave for a lower club unless they could offer him a dramatic pay rise and even then you'd think that would affect his international career he's worked so hard for.

Can certainly see that at this point in time, Fonte will be at the peak of his monetary value.

Although i can not see how any central defender can leave before we get a minimum of 1 in.

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk

It would be a shame to lose a player of Fonte's character.

I wrote this on another thread surrounding Toby in May:

"Not bothered or worried. Was more bothered about Lovren leaving last year but that was before we realised Fonte is the real reason for Saints' solid defence."