Sky reporting Fonte in talks with Villa

Fitzhugh Fella

The wording is always interesting in these things "Aston Villa pursuing", "is a transfer target for", "Villa are in talks". The first 2 purely relate to what Villa may want and not necessarily anything that's going on while the "talks" could be as simple as Villa saying "Would you sell?" and us saying "no".

Now having links to Van Dijk and Koulibaly may indicate a slight bit of truth to this but I can't really think of any good reason for Fonte to leave for a lower club unless they could offer him a dramatic pay rise and even then you'd think that would affect his international career he's worked so hard for.

If he leaves then this is my hopeful scenario!

I would imagine he has seen all the defectors move on over the last couple of years for more money and still has contact with most of them, they tell him how wonderful their new Astons are ( although he drives one ).

His old agent was not doing the business for him so employ Mendes for a move but Villa is a strange one.

I know absolutely nothing, but this one just sounds like a goer for some reason. Fonte has a new agent and by all accounts thinks Fonte can be doing better financially. We are a club who want players under 30. Not too many of them last very long beyond that point. I thought Rickie Lambert would be here till he retired, but we gladly sold him without even putting up a fight. We would be making a profit on a player who, the chances are, is going to regress over the next 2 years.

If I was in charge I would tell any club that wanted him to stick it. But then again, I'm a fan. We are a selling club that is now, above all else, run as a business.

If anyone actually believes this they're thinking very illogically. Villa may well be interested but there's is no chance we are going to let him go or any chance of him wanting to leave for Villa of all teams.

Just shows up even more that the mainstream media don't have a clue.

He would have seen Lovren and Alderweireld move to bigger clubs remember and probably both now earn substantially more than him.

Also a late reacher of the top level so minimal earning time versus some other players.

Lets face it, if he stays at Saints now then thats him here for his career or at least the best bits.

Maybe he wants (as one of the best PL defenders last year) to earn the best wage he can, be that at Saints or elsewhere?

If anyone actually believes this they're thinking very illogically. Villa may well be interested but there's is no chance we are going to let him go or any chance of him wanting to leave for Villa of all teams.

Just shows up even more that the mainstream media don't have a clue.

We should all know to keep an open mind about these reports going by the last couple of summers.

For those citing his age and max value as reasons to consider selling him......utter nonsense. He's still at a good age to be with us for 2-3 seasons + and his transfer market value wouldn't be anything in comparison to his real value to us.

Is it? Sky Sports are reputable with their sources.

You've gone from using "blatantly made up" to "they seem to think", which means you have absolutely no idea about anything to do with this story.

Sky Sports are anything but reputable??? If you think that's true then you sir, are a simpleton.

By the way, I do have an idea about something to do with the story. It's not true.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

We should all know to keep an open mind about these reports going by the last couple of summers.

For those citing his age and max value as reasons to consider selling him......utter nonsense. He's still at a good age to be with us for 2-3 seasons + and his transfer market value wouldn't be anything in comparison to his real value to us.

Of course, he could stay here till he retires like Kelvin. People say 'last big pay day' well will that team give him as many years as us? Doubtful. He could stay and play for us for 5 more years if fit and play a role like KD near retirement even if not playing as much we should still look to keep him till he retires IMO.

I would be surprised if Jose was having a medical yesterday at Villa, whilst VvK was having his medical (Quote Steve Grant) yesterday at St Mary's before flying back to Glasgow for the evening kick Off

Ps has RK recovered from His Hamstring injury as report in the express and other newspapers last week

The stories about Jose and VvK are a load of tosh

Maybe makes sense if we sell him to a club abroad, but if we sell him to villa i would be very disappointed.

We shouldn't sell him full stop. People have very short memories, he was player of the year last year and players player of the year and our captain (a better one than Lallana I might add) and our longest serving player in the first team. GK+ 2 CB + RB+ DM ripped out of our defence from last season if he goes would be absolutely ridiculous to sell him.

He would have seen Lovren and Alderweireld move to bigger clubs remember and probably both now earn substantially more than him.

Also a late reacher of the top level so minimal earning time versus some other players.

Lets face it, if he stays at Saints now then thats him here for his career or at least the best bits.

Maybe he wants (as one of the best PL defenders last year) to earn the best wage he can, be that at Saints or elsewhere?

Yeah, bigger clubs. Not Villa.

Villa have been cutting back on wages substantially, so it wouldn't be much of a pay day. Perhaps it was to flag his availability to other teams that could pay more? Also , he'll leave his Portuguese mate behind that he was influential in turning into a Saint.

It doesn't sound right to me.

Villa have been cutting back on wages substantially, so it wouldn't be much of a pay day. Perhaps it was to flag his availability to other teams that could pay more? Also , he'll leave his Portuguese mate behind that he was influential in turning into a Saint.

It doesn't sound right to me.

They were happy enough to sign a fair few players, presumably on decent money and also to even entertain paying Adebayor massive cash so I wouldn't discount that they may be prepared to offer Fonte a rise from his current deal.

I'm sure he will stay, but we might have to offer him more money to keep him happy. Otherwise why change Agent?

The new TV deal must see sensible player reassess what they are worth, especially the skipper of a good PL team.

They were happy enough to sign a fair few players, presumably on decent money and also to even entertain paying Adebayor massive cash so I wouldn't discount that they may be prepared to offer Fonte a rise from his current deal.

I'm sure he will stay, but we might have to offer him more money to keep him happy. Otherwise why change Agent?

The new TV deal must see sensible player reassess what they are worth, especially the skipper of a good PL team.

If he has signed a new contract not so long ago why do we have to give him more money to keep him?

This is so unlikely and out of the blue I can't help but think it's true. Just like Adkins and Lambert.

I really hope we keep him. He's clearly still an important 1st team player but you can't underestimate his influence behind the scenes. Him and Kelvin are vital for that and I hoped they'd both stick around after retirement like Jaidi

We may end up with VVD and Koulibaly but they are not here yet,and DiMarzio said yesterday that Napoli are not that keen on selling,why would we flog our best player last season and captain when all that we have left are Yosh and Caulker.....and if Fonte wants to leave in what will be arguably the clubs biggest ever season then he needs his head checked,whoever is bought in will be to partner him not to replace,I would go as far as saying he is irreplaceable at this current time,not just for being a decent CB but the leader/character he is,sometimes no amount of money can replace those things

Change your nappies. Fonte is not going anywhere. New agent doing what fonte wants him to do by forcing the club to give him more cash and a longer contract.

Only time he will go is if saints call his bluff and tell him to do one. Saints being saints that would t surprise me as we are not known for being bullied

I said the exact same thing last summer when Lambert to Liverpool was first rumoured:?