Sants 0 - Everton 3: Post match rage thread

Bewildered

Massive Morgan sized hole unfortunately...

I'm more worried about the Targett-sized hole on the left of our defence. He could have had better cover from midfield and for that we need to look to the management but he was clearly out of his depth and to pull out of challenges and just back off from players is unforgivable. When is Bertrand back?

Certainly no need to panic yet, it's going to take ten games or so to get a solid defence sorted.

Thought we were just beaten by the better side today - if their form continues like today - they will be top 6 - Team selection seemed OK at Kick Off but big gaps in midfield and defence not protected showed our weakness. I thought Romeu did a good job when he came on and looked more up to it then some of the others. Pelle was good but no decent support today. If the Mane chance had gone in then a different game altogether. Cant see that performance will be repeated again especially at home. 2-3 players required by end of month - CB & Defensive Midfield and would like to see a utility player but I guess that could be Martina's role. Attack will be fine once defence is sorted. I think even with Schneiderlin and Clyne we would have lost today.

What's with the complaints of our transfer activity all of a sudden? In the 2 prem games so far the only ones to have played a full game are Stekelenburg and now Cedric and he was only subbed in the first game because he was a red card risk. Martina and Romeu have only had a half each and Romeu has only been here a few days.

Clasie hasn't played, neither has Juanmi nor Caulker and we know we are trying to get another starting CB in. We are currently starting with several players who we were hoping would only be backups and the players who were with us last year are generally under performing as well. A full strength team should hopefully look much more solid especially if Koeman sets them out properly unlike he has done the past 2 games.

Trying to suggest that all these new players aren't up to it when the majority of them haven't even played a full league game with us is ridiculous.

That just emphasises mine and many other people's concern though. We were crying out for a goal, yet our new signing Juanmi is left on the bench. We always preach how we will only sign players who are better than what we have got, I fear this time around there has been too much emphasis on expanding the squad size rather than signing key first team players.

let's be honest it's very likely with the policy of selling players that we will be as good or better than last season.

Toby wasn't even ours and chose to go to Spurs. Clyne wasn't signing a new deal so we either had to take the 12.5 million this year or next year he walks for free. We'd clearly told Morgan after last summer that we'd let him go this one. 25 million for a holding midfielder, as good as Morgan is, is a very fair price. You won't find many that have been sold for more.

I don't think we could have done anything to prevent it this summer. Selling players for good money will not hurt us IF the recruitment is right. Stekelenburg has been very solid so far and the only other one playing right now is Cedric. We WILL sign another CB and we need to get last year's best left back in the league on the pitch. Once the window closes and we get everyone fit again we will have a team that starts to look like a top 8 side

That just emphasises mine and many other people's concern though. We were crying out for a goal, yet our new signing Juanmi is left on the bench. We always preach how we will only sign players who are better than what we have got, I fear this time around there has been too much emphasis on expanding the squad size rather than signing key first team players.

Maybe, I still believe Clasie was signed as one of those first team players and so will the new CB be as well as Cedric. The argument then comes down to whether they are as good as/better than Morgan/Toby/Clyne though they were always going to be hard to replace. Think we can agree we did need more depth though what with the added Europa games.

As for Juanmi, his natural position appears to be behind the striker in which case you are moving Mane - arguably our best player - from his best position so I can see why they may be hesitant to bring him on.

Sometimes I wonder what fan's want, some seem so detached from reality that it's frightening. I'm not just talking about ourselves either. What's up with Everton fans protesting? I mean, what do they have to protest about? They had a poor year last year, but more often than not they're in the EL. But what more do they expect? Do they really expect to be a CL team?

It just seems as if all sorts of fans expectations are all over the show right now. Everton, Stoke, Swansea and ourselves are in a battle of the best of the rest. Sometimes we'll win it, sometimes we'll miss out. Enjoy where we are as it won't always be this good, we're in a good place compared to many others.

I might be called happy clappy or whatever, but it's about perspective really and understanding and accepting your teams standing in the world of football.

Thing is since the take over we have seen pretty much constant success at the club to the point were some of our support have gained a rather over inflated idea of our place in the footballing hierarchy as well as rather over the top expectations. I think it's pretty unlikely we will do as well as last season not because I think our team in carp or all our new recruits are league 1 standard but purely because constantly bettering your position year in year out is a bloody hard thing to do. Sadly a far number have convinced themselves we are on the verge of being a CL side when in fact a top 10 finish is a good result for us.

Maybe, I still believe Clasie was signed as one of those first team players and so will the new CB be as well as Cedric. The argument then comes down to whether they are as good as/better than Morgan/Toby/Clyne though they were always going to be hard to replace. Think we can agree we did need more depth though what with the added Europa games.

As for Juanmi, his natural position appears to be behind the striker in which case you are moving Mane - arguably our best player - from his best position so I can see why they may be hesitant to bring him on.

Personally though I don't think today was a day for Clasie, Barkley had a great game and he's a bloody big unit, Clasie would just have been overun by a player of that power and pace. Wasn't a day for any small DM actually.

Tad over reaction here, we are a little under cooked, we still 1-2 more players and a few back from injury, last year we got spoiled in our start. i think this year we might have to build more slowly and get some momentum as the new players get up to speed and those injured or coming back from injury (j Rod) get form and fitness back.

Remember we played a team here with a Striker bought for £27 million who decided to turn up today but in reality we played a team who got a goal on a counter attack, came here to defend anyway and set up that way, we pushed on for an equaliser and got punished on the counter again.

Another day we take the lead we win comfortably IMO.

We are a threat and a worry to teams like Everton these days so much so that they won't come away to us and attack. The players need to get used to that.

I'm more worried about the Targett-sized hole on the left of our defence. He could have had better cover from midfield and for that we need to look to the management but he was clearly out of his depth and to pull out of challenges and just back off from players is unforgivable. When is Bertrand back?

Certainly no need to panic yet, it's going to take ten games or so to get a solid defence sorted.

Long kept drifting into the middle (were he kept getting Pelle's way) and no one was covering him as a result Targett was left isolated and up against it. With some decent covering by those in front he is decent back up for odd games and injuries but he clearly isn't as good as Bertrand.

Tad over reaction here, we are a little under cooked, we still 1-2 more players and a few back from injury, last year we got spoiled in our start. i think this year we might have to build more slowly and get some momentum as the new players get up to speed and those injured or coming back from injury (j Rod) get form and fitness back.

Remember we played a team here with a Striker bought for £27 million who decided to turn up today but in reality we played a team who got a goal on a counter attack, came here to defend anyway and set up that way, we pushed on for an equaliser and got punished on the counter again.

We are a threat and a worry to teams like Everton these days so much so that they won't come away to us and attack. The players need to get used to that.

TBF after 2 games we had exactly the same number of points as we do now. Difference was last season was no one was expecting much. Where as this year some dinlows think we should be pushing for CL like Leicester

Personally though I don't think today was a day for Clasie, Barkley had a great game and he's a bloody big unit, Clasie would just have been overun by a player of that power and pace. Wasn't a day for any small DM actually.

You'd think being a small guy he'd be used to coming up against bigger and stronger players though, it's not like he's new to the game. I do like the signing of Romeu though as if it is a concern he can easily slip in there. Judging by his performance in the second half he looks like he will be a good fit there - one of the few positives we can take from todays game.

Toby wasn't even ours and chose to go to Spurs. Clyne wasn't signing a new deal so we either had to take the 12.5 million this year or next year he walks for free. We'd clearly told Morgan after last summer that we'd let him go this one. 25 million for a holding midfielder, as good as Morgan is, is a very fair price. You won't find many that have been sold for more.

I don't think we could have done anything to prevent it this summer. Selling players for good money will not hurt us IF the recruitment is right. Stekelenburg has been very solid so far and the only other one playing right now is Cedric. We WILL sign another CB and we need to get last year's best left back in the league on the pitch. Once the window closes and we get everyone fit again we will have a team that starts to look like a top 8 side

Seconded.

You'd think being a small guy he'd be used to coming up against bigger and stronger players though, it's not like he's new to the game. I do like the signing of Romeu though as if it is a concern he can easily slip in there. Judging by his performance in the second half he looks like he will be a good fit there - one of the few positives we can take from todays game.

Until we see what he can do in the PL we've no idea whatsoever of his qualties. Dutch football is what we term here as a "mirroir d'alouettes" It has no relevance to the PL.

Right side with Cedric and Tadic was so lightweight; we didn't win many 50/50 at all today. Long doesn't seem to start well. I would give martina and Juanmi a go on the right on Thursday to see how that goes. Romeu looks class, tell by his touch. Now, the left side, we have to stick with MT, but he needs support; Jay Rod for me please.

How often does Mane get fouled though? Our most creative player doesn't get much protection

Long kept drifting into the middle (were he kept getting Pelle's way) and no one was covering him as a result Targett was left isolated and up against it. With some decent covering by those in front he is decent back up for odd games and injuries but he clearly isn't as good as Bertrand.

Left midfield was empty for the first half and whether Long was supposed to be there or somebody else nobody on the field nor on the touchline seemed to be doing anything about it. In situations like these you would normally expect the manager to make some rearrangements. Where was Ron today, I couldn't see him anywhere from my seat?

That was the worst we have played under RK.

He set us up wrong IMHO. Playing Long, Pelle, Mane & Tadic was a mistake.

Wd got overrun in midfield ax though 4 stood up front.

Tadic, Davis, Yoshida, Long & Soares all had poor games.

Davis passed straight to Everton on 4 occasions in the first 30 minutes. His first corner was shocking!

Tadic was just awful.

Soares never went past the full back & stopped as soon as he had the ball in their half.

Lots of mistakes from Yoshida.

Wanyama had a free header & headed over for the second week running.

Very very poor at least the 185 mile drive home was smooth!!

Can we please have Morgan back!!

Where is the 'Like' button?

Need it for this post: bang on

Yoshida not good enough

Target Not good enough

Davis not good enough

Cedric not good enough

None of the above are top 10 prem quality

And lazy ineffective Tadic is top ten ????

However, as we have sub standard individuals we should have even more reason to protect the back four and keep it tight..... Surely we should have learnt that lesson after the Newcastle game....we are far too open....

Delusional.

Today we played a team that'll do well to finish in the top 6 but who had absolutely no trouble completely controlling the game and winning the midfield against us.

Everton scored three and could have easily had more. To describe that as a match that 'on another day we could have won' is ridiculous.

I walked away from that game applauding Everton and honestly feeling like there was nothing I couldn't reasonably complain about, we were well beaten by a clearly vastly superior team.

Its been a long time since I've walked a game feeling like the reason for the loss couldn't be attributed to any sort of underachievement but just 'they're players are better than our players'. The games against City were the only ones last season.

Hugely disappointing game. But, in the end blaming individual players isn't the answer. Today the blame sits fair and square with the Koemans (not sure how much was Ron and how much Erwin today). Setting the team up with two defensive (holding midfielders) and no advance midfield and expecting Tadic to fulfil this role was a complete and utter disaster. It wasn't that any of the players played particularly badly, though several didn't exactly cover themselves in glory, but leaving a huge area of the middle of the pitch without any presence from Saints was a disaster waiting to happen. Why didn't the coaching staff trust putting Romeu in from the start, thus allowing Davis to play his best role in advance of the defensive midfield. Until we have Clasie available, and now we have a strong defensive midfielder this is what we have to do. Expecting Tadic to fill this hole is just dreamland. To be honest even putting JWP there in front of Davis and Vic, or even Davis in front of Wanyama and Reed would have been much better. The Everton MF could not believe their luck being given such a large area to work with uncontested. So at least at half-time we saw what should have been done, Romeu came on and Davis was moved forward and immediately we looked more solid and could then threaten more offensively, trouble was it was too late, we were 2 goals behind. Then with 10 to go when we should be trying to win we inexplicably take Davis off and replace him with JWP, that was just a sign to me that Ronald had thrown in the towel. Almost straightaway, we were torn apart again because we had lost our control of the MF, didn't really matter that we conceded we were already 2 down.

Very poor, and Ronald has to shoulder a large part of the responsibility. I would say that the players as a unit also looked lethargic, why is that? I've seen it before, sometimes we just don't look to be at the races, especially for early kick-offs.

So, I would just like to say well done to Romeu when he did get his chance. I know we were already 2 down, but immediately he gave us steel and his reading of the game was very good, one or two passes went astray (a huge cross-field Morganesque pass to Soares sticks in my mind) but that is to be expected from someone with only one or two sessions with the squad. He will never be Morgan, but he looks a very good acquisition if we can keep him fit (just wish he would do something with his hair).

For those who are criticising Targett again, lay off. He is being badly let down by others, especially the bad mistakes we are making at our corners (that's twice in 2 games). He saved us early on and took a yellow for the team thanks to the awful Oliver throwing yellows at Saints for inocuous issues, and had to take care from then on not to get another booking (clearly we had Martina ready to replace if needed, but after we were 2 down Targett wasn't really seriously threatened again). We could not afford to lose him to a sending off and he knew it, hence why some may have seen his actions as pulling out of a challenge. Its clear Bertrand won't be back for at least another 4 weeks, so we have to make do with a decent but inexperienced backup.

our sales of the last 2 summers have caught up with us (the bank balance looks nice though).

having put all our eggs in one basket with VVD, we are in deep trouble if we get gazumped...

The sole aim is to have a team that finishes above the relegation zone. Anyone who believes different has been fooled by the Club 'propaganda' machine.

Right side with Cedric and Tadic was so lightweight; we didn't win many 50/50 at all today. Long doesn't seem to start well. I would give martina and Juanmi a go on the right on Thursday to see how that goes. Romeu looks class, tell by his touch. Now, the left side, we have to stick with MT, but he needs support; Jay Rod for me please.

How often does Mane get fouled though? Our most creative player doesn't get much protection

Funny stat I saw the other day was that against Newcastle Tadic executed and won more Tackles than any other player (from both teams) on the pitch so he does have it in him.

Hugely disappointing game. But, in the end blaming individual players isn't the answer. Today the blame sits fair and square with the Koemans (not sure how much was Ron and how much Erwin today). Setting the team up with two defensive (holding midfielders) and no advance midfield and expecting Tadic to fulfil this role was a complete and utter disaster. It wasn't that any of the players played particularly badly, though several didn't exactly cover themselves in glory, but leaving a huge area of the middle of the pitch without any presence from Saints was a disaster waiting to happen. Why didn't the coaching staff trust putting Romeu in from the start, thus allowing Davis to play his best role in advance of the defensive midfield. Until we have Clasie available, and now we have a strong defensive midfielder this is what we have to do. Expecting Tadic to fill this hole is just dreamland. To be honest even putting JWP there in front of Davis and Vic, or even Davis in front of Wanyama and Reed would have been much better. The Everton MF could not believe their luck being given such a large area to work with uncontested. So at least at half-time we saw what should have been done, Romeu came on and Davis was moved forward and immediately we looked more solid and could then threaten more offensively, trouble was it was too late, we were 2 goals behind. Then with 10 to go when we should be trying to win we inexplicably take Davis off and replace him with JWP, that was just a sign to me that Ronald had thrown in the towel. Almost straightaway, we were torn apart again because we had lost our control of the MF, didn't really matter that we conceded we were already 2 down.

Very poor, and Ronald has to shoulder a large part of the responsibility. I would say that the players as a unit also looked lethargic, why is that? I've seen it before, sometimes we just don't look to be at the races, especially for early kick-offs.

So, I would just like to say well done to Romeu when he did get his chance. I know we were already 2 down, but immediately he gave us steel and his reading of the game was very good, one or two passes went astray (a huge cross-field Morganesque pass to Soares sticks in my mind) but that is to be expected from someone with only one or two sessions with the squad. He will never be Morgan, but he looks a very good acquisition if we can keep him fit (just wish he would do something with his hair).

For those who are criticising Targett again, lay off. He is being badly let down by others, especially the bad mistakes we are making at our corners (that's twice in 2 games). He saved us early on and took a yellow for the team thanks to the awful Oliver throwing yellows at Saints for inocuous issues, and had to take care from then on not to get another booking (clearly we had Martina ready to replace if needed, but after we were 2 down Targett wasn't really seriously threatened again). We could not afford to lose him to a sending off and he knew it, hence why some may have seen his actions as pulling out of a challenge. Its clear Bertrand won't be back for at least another 4 weeks, so we have to make do with a decent but inexperienced backup.

Still recovering from a heavy night of partying with the WAGs?

Feel the criticism levelled at Targett to be really unfair, the kid has hardly put a foot wrong since he came into the side. If we are going to criticise a player the one who should be hanging his head is Tadic who for my money is the biggest show pony since one Anders Svensson.

The fact that he does possess skill makes his performances even more frustrating. He simply is not cut out for the premiership, he lacks bottle, physical presence, work rate and has no idea how to defend. And yet on this forum tonight fans would rather throw bricks at a youngster who gives his all, is committed and at least keeps going until the final whistle. Give me Targett over Tadic any day.

I also think Soares has picked up unwarranted criticism, yes he is poor defensively and he has a lot to learn, but he showed plenty of spirit and enthusiasm which is more than you can say about the Serbian slacker.

Feel the criticism levelled at Targett to be really unfair, the kid has hardly put a foot wrong since he came into the side. If we are going to criticise a player the one who should be hanging his head is Tadic who for my money is the biggest show pony since one Anders Svensson.

The fact that he does possess skill makes his performances even more frustrating. He simply is not cut out for the premiership, he lacks bottle, physical presence, work rate and has no idea how to defend. And yet on this forum tonight fans would rather throw bricks at a youngster who gives his all, is committed and at least keeps going until the final whistle. Give me Targett over Tadic any day.

I also think Soares has picked up unwarranted criticism, yes he is poor defensively and he has a lot to learn, but he showed plenty of spirit and enthusiasm which is more than you can say about the Serbian slacker.

I thought tadic was a lot better than long. Long is supposed to work hard yet didn't cover targett at all. A 12 million buy who hardly scores goals and doesn't have much skill. Tadic at least created a great chance for pelle today. We always in this country seem to like the person who appears to run the most but doesn't achieve anything.

We should be signing players who can offer more than spirit and enthusiasm

Your vendetta against Tadic got boring a very long time ago

I'd like to reinforce after watching the first two games, we were very well mugged by Sporting with regards to Cedric, and I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another CB and Yoshida ends up playing at RB again instead of him at some point.

I can't believe how small the bloke is for a right back. Like a 10 year old out there. Any decent manager will just tell their big centre forward to pull into him.

I'd like to reinforce after watching the first two games, we were very well mugged by Sporting with regards to Cedric, and I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another CB and Yoshida ends up playing at RB again instead of him at some point.

Overreaction. He just needs time to settle. Yoshida is mediocre at full back and was just as poor as Cedric today anyway so should focus on mastering his own position.

I can't believe how small the bloke is for a right back. Like a 10 year old out there. Any decent manager will just tell their big centre forward to pull into him.

Like we did with Lambert versus Clyne when he played for them?

Then when he played for us, with decent coaching and an organised defence it was rarely an issue.

A few weeks ago everyone was saying how we had replaced Clyne with someone half the price who was a class player.

Reality is he could be class but Clyne already was which is why Liverpool bought him instead of Cedric. Thats the options money gives you.

Perhaps, as fans, we may have underestimated the impact of the team changes. If you take last season's first choice defence, (GK, Back 4 and 2x DMFs) we have had to change 5 of the 7 players.The replacement players are all good quality but having to settle so many in at once is bound to present problems. The staff and the players will know that well enough and they will learn from today.

Your vendetta against Tadic got boring a very long time ago

As is your infatuation with my every post. Remembering I have previously criticised Tadic must mean you have little else to remember I guess, fine you think the sun shines out his arse, I happen to think the guy is a phoney- you are welcome to your opinion, but forgive me for daring to challenge it. Do you stalk others on here remembering their every uttering? Just curious.