Sants 0 - Everton 3: Post match rage thread

Bewildered

sorry to say i think Ronald has to take the big share of the blame, the initial starting lineup was just wrong.

Whilst Targett, Yoshida and Soares were poor they had very little support from Long and Tadic

I think second half was better but not sure if that was due to our changes or them just sitting back.

The losing of Toby starts to look really serious

Probably because the only target we have for the position won't be released by his actual club until after the CL qualifiers.

I'll not say anything just now, way too early but Dutch mania may not do us a lot of good this season..we shall see.

the way I see it, is it doesn't bode well when Koeman inevitably leaves (for whatever reason).

Targett should have been subbed in the first half when he bottled a straight 50-50.

Davis has played alongside Vic a few times now, it is obviously not his position.

We were poor today. Selling your best players will catch up with you sooner or later. We need to do some smart business between now and the end of the window.

An easy 3 points for Everton.

There are positives in this game. JRod looks lively, Pelle was super (apart from finishing) and we are dynamic all over the pitch coming forwards. Romeu made a promising start. But midfield mix was all wrong in the first half and the defence has let everyone down. It's not their fault, we've simply not strengthened enough there.. yet.

unfortunately, for Pelle, poor finishing is not good enough. 2 free headers and he didn't even work the keeper. Would have Charlie Austin in a heartbeat.

That was pretty rubbish to be honest, not a single positive I can think of.

I would agree that the starting 11 was wrong, the midfield was not able to take control of the game and it was cut through most of the first half. The introduction of Romeu in the 2nd half improved things, it gave us a bit of a shield and protected the full backs and CB's more, but the damage was already done.

There's not really much more to say, 2nd game of the season, long way to go and we all know that we have a new CB coming in shortly - although a midfield of Victor and Romeu for most games seems a must, we were so overrun in there.

Targett was out of his depth most of the game and Yoshida and Fonte could not handle the power of their attack, but I will say in the first half they got very little protection from those in front. Victor was also pretty pants.

We were awful, but people are being a bit unfair slating Everton - they were fantastic today. Where that defensive performance came from i have no idea.

First 20 mins I thought we looked good. Mane nearly scores, from the corner we overcomit and they break and score. First goal is always crucial. Then Everton can play the way they want to play, which is to just soak it up and counter.

I've never thought (and still don't) that Everton are a good side. We gave it to them.

I can't see how we can continue selling players for £20m plus and expecting to replace them with equal talent for £4-5m. Just doesn't stack up in the long term. Get the odd lucky find but in due course we either spend similar sums on replacements or go backwards. OR, do what we did to get us our reputation and actually start showing more belief in our famed accadomy.

The back four were a disorganised mess. The reason was simple, without Spiderman and responsibility/marshalling in the midfield there was no confident handshaking between fullbacks and wide midfielders ( hence first goal ) ... our full backs did not know where they were supposed to be half the time and Fonte and Yoshy did well I thought today considering.... Our attack is no surprise.... its exactly the same as the last 10 games of last season, bits-and-pieces and little end product against half decent defences ( and Newcastle certainly were not that ). Alarm Bells ? well both full backs looked off the pace and with no sharpness in attack we will have to change things... The new guy looked worryingly over confident... a stupid haircut never bodes well but I thought he was poor... And someone needs to remind Mane and Pelle that back flicks only work 100% of the time if the rest of your players are clairvoyants... Were there any positives to come out of today ? Well for me it was Yoshy's performance under that amount of pressure.... but little else.... worse than any game from last season..

Koeman's really got to pull his finger out, we've been terrible since February now. His job is to get the right players out on the pitch and get them playing to their best, neither of which he's doing atm. Tadic has been garbage since November time, Long has been garbage since we signed him, Pelle has been garbage since January (even if you think he's played well his goal scoring since then has been abysmal). We really have been cruising since new year and need to snap out of it if we want to get anywhere close to last season's finish. I still think it was poor that Koeman wasn't there for the Newcastle game regardless of his injury, all he had to do was sit there ffs.

7. Ultimately none of our signings have improved our starting XI (or even maintained it) and today we were missing 4 of our back 7 from last year.

Missing 5 of our back 7 from last year.

Forster

Clyne

Alderweireld

Bertrand

Schneiderlin

Pretty devastating.

I am not wetting the bed yet. Let's get Clasie, Betrand, and Van Djck (assumed) on the field and see how we perform. Yet anyone with a brain in their head could take a look at out defensive line up and players before the game and see at least two goals were going to be allowed today.

There's not much point in getting carried away and reaching silly OTT conclusions about individual players.

The loss of Schneiderlin is being felt all through the team, but at least we've acted to sign a reasonably like-for-like player, even if he may not be of Morgan's quality. If Romeu had started today, which IMO he should have, most of the players currently being slated would have played better IMO. Yoshida would have had more time to cover Targett, Wanyama and Davis could have played the roles they played last year, the central defensive two would have enjoyed more protection, we'd have bought the ball out from the back more efficiently, and things would have looked better up front.

As I said earlier, the game was lost with the starting line up, and - when I saw Lukaku and Kone in their starting line up, Romeu on our bench, and a rather disrespectful (to Everton) front four - I had a nasty feeling it might be a long afternoon.

Sure, some players performed poorly but I think that was down to the starting line up rather than their own ability level. It troubles me that Davis continues to underhit corners even though they have now led to at least four lethal counter attacks in the last two games. Everton also deserve some credit for their skill, speed, movement and mobility. Nice side.

When our injured players return, and VvD (hopefully) joins us, I think we'll be fine - at least as good as last year.

Right just back from a very humbling game. Firstly Everton were good, played a simple but very effective game and ruthlessly exploited our weaknesses. Positives Pele he did everything but score, Mane with a little more luck would have scored thats it. It is very early in the season, we have had a wake up call (aka Gooners and West Spam), I am most interested in how we respond to this.

Won't matter who we put on the field in the long run...As soon as it sinks in with players that the only remaining ambition within the product is to fill big Kat's purse as much and as fast as possible, they drop their game and plan their exit strategy...just like all those before them.

0-3 to big Kats personal bean counters.

Please save us Saint George like you did last year. Please save us.

We are not strong enough defensively at the moment to afford to play Mane in the No 10 position behind Pelle.

Compared to last season's usual line up, we were weaker defensively in 5 positions on the field from the start :-

Cedric weaker than Clyne defensively

Targett weaker than Bertrand defensively

Yoshida weaker than Toby

Davis weaker than Morgan in holding role

Mane weaker than Davis defensively (when played in advanced midfield position)

As dangerous as Mane looks when he gets hold of the ball in central areas, we can't risk playing him in that position again until we have a much stronger platform. Maybe once we have a new centre back, Bertrand back and Romeu and Clasie settled in, we will be solid enough again to try it, but for now we have to go back to a more solid 3 in the centre.

The only positive today was Romeu looked like he will be decent in midfield once he's settled in and gets to know the other players.

Tadic - Did nothing of worth

Long - Lucky Tadic was just as bad or he would not have lasted as long as he did

I'd agree with everything you wrote but on the above I have to say Tadic has offered nothing as you say, and Long, well he just frustrates the hell out of me. He looks for a foul every time he gets the ball, he doesn't take players on even with his pace and he can't pass, or takes too long to do so (does he not trust his own ability?). I just...arrrrrgggghhh. Ok, he scored that wonder goal vs Villa last season. So what? My opinion isn't even based on today's game, it's every game. I just don't get it. Sorry.

Shell shocked did not expect a performance like that the first two goals were breakaway goals down to poor corners, Everton were physically stronger than us. Let's hope that was a one off and Ronald can get it sorted out and get VVD in as we looked suspect at the back Romeu looked good when he came on.

Just got back from the game

The first half formation really exposed the full backs who both got roasted - too much to do after that

I though Romeu came on and played well, and the formation worked much better but by then, the damage was done.

Target was better second half, but Cedric was terrible and got worst :(

The two banks of four have not gelled together this season.

Last season you always had cover when someone was pushing up the pitch, this season it's something like gaps of 20/30 yards appearing all over the pitch.

Lacked the Morgan energy when sweeping and you saw Davis, Tadic, Mane & Long trotting back to cover.

it is very early yet, but you cant keep selling quality and throw in players from abroad who dont know our game. It worked last year but it seems others are now following our lead and chasing the same targets as us.I just turned on to see the result and couldn't believe it. our strong defence is gone and we are letting goals something that we have not been used to for a couple of seasons

2 games in and after reading posts for 5 mins we are doomed!!! Sheesh, so many ups and downs over a season, I am trusting RK to get this side to gel!! We know we are getting a new CB in hopefully VVD, we also know that Bertrand will be back soon! Yes, it was a poor day at office, but reading the posts here, you would have thought we were relegated already! I will support with balance both sides and save my £5 on here for a bag of chips I think!!!

First of all, Targett is shocking. He bottled challenges and simply doesn't have the physique for the Premier League. Need to get Bertrand back asap.

Yoshida also is not good enough to start in this team and we need to bring in a new centre half urgently if we want to stop conceding.

Cedric is still adapting to the prem but looks bright, and Fonte didn't do too much wrong today.

Today the amount of space Everton had was scary and it's the worst I've seen us play in years. I can easily see this side finishing 13/14th this season and we will be lucky to get through this Europa tie if we play like today and last week.

The defence is simply not good enough and going forward the final ball is astrocious with no penetration or danger.

Only positives today were Mane and Pelle and perhaps the new fella in centre mid.

37 quid to watch that ?!

First sign post match on Solent of Koeman using the loss of key players as an excuse for poor defensive display. It is a valid one, but interesting nonetheless.

Oh dear. Wasnt it primarily his job to cover those loses ? I though the club didnt worry about losing players and always had contingencies ?

Back to the Dark Ages at SMS.

The replacing of 20m talent with 4-5m wannabees has become Lowe-esque. Turned out OK last summer, but perhaps it was sheer beginners luck.

Personally think the club strategy as well as the team became well-exposed today.

But last season it was 10-12 million wannabees, guess there's a difference. Last season we kept the base of our system and spent some real money, this season doesn't seem to be quite the same.

Edited by Window Cleaner

A shocking performance against a bullying, unsportsmanlike Everton, I don't think Oliver was any help, in fact I thought he was dreadful, that was the judgement of an Everton supporter I spoke to as well, but then........!!!

Agree the ref was poor. It wasn't a ugly game still he hands out 7 yellows.

Tho can't blame the ref today. As many had said before putting Davis as DM is a mistake. Don't think Ronald will try to avoid doing this anymore. The new guy Romeu seemed decent and things changed a bit when he came on.

We will be fine - get behind the team!

Shocking, we got it completely wrong today.

After the defensive mess last week, why on earth did we start again without a third CM. Wanyama can't do it on his own.

Full backs getting very little protection, and so bad going forward as well today. Credit to Everton, they played the counter attack down to a tee, but we should have done better to defend against it.

A lot of work to be done if we don't want to be relegation fodder this season.

Quite a few below par performances and as many have said the starting lineup seemed too attacking. If Morgan were playing alongside VW it would have been a different game. I did like Romeu when he came on. Fine lines in my view. If Mane had scored at 0-0 we could have won. Seemed a lack of understanding up front today. I am sure it will come. Jrod still to start firing on all four. Hate losing but heh. It's only one football match. Definitely not a 3-0 though..

First day of my honeymoon in Mauritius, walking through the capital and my wife spots a new Saints shirt on the opposite side of the road. I run over and introduce myself to the guy who turns out is a Mauritian Saints fan. Fell in Love with Saints in the Le Tiss era when he was a kid. He recently started a job and always wanted a Saints shirt so he bought the new one with a 4 on the back as he loved Spiderman.

He`d never met another Saints fan before so was really pleased when we stopped him to chat. Persuaded my wife that the omens were good and we should watch the match live in the hotel bar. Oh dear! At least we got some amazing Magarita`s during the game. Still a long way to go, but Everton look like us last season when we were right up there. Absolutely amazed and chuffed to find a genuine Saints fan in Mauritius. My wife still loves the Saints though I`m not sure she is so happy that I`d persuaded her to watch the match on the first day on our honeymoon after that performance. Oh well, onwards and upwards. We march on!

I feel like Koeman is trying to build the team around Mané - but by playing him the number 10 position it means we lack the physical presence in CM. that's fine in games against weaker opposition but today he should have played wide and one of Romeu or Reed should have slotted in as an additional CM.

Anyway it's only early days and things could be a hell of a lot worse - we could all be Sunderland fans! And we have a Europa game to look forward to midweek which is great.

Also I think people are being harsh on Davis - he struggled today but was by no means the worst player on the pitch, and he was voted MOTM last week IIRC