Sants 0 - Everton 3: Post match rage thread

Bewildered

We were rubbish, discuss.

Stek - Little he could do about any of the goals.

Cedric - Average

Fonte - Couldn't handle Lukaku

Yoshida - Also struggled with Lukaku, plus a few other shaky moments. Really need a new Starting CB.

Targett - Everton Targeted his side for a reason, no pun intended.

Wanyama - Can't do it all himself, despite his best efforts. Poor headers from corners

Davis - Poor, anonymous further forward, which was an improvement

Tadic - Did nothing of worth

Long - Lucky Tadic was just as bad or he would not have lasted as long as he did

Mané - Some flashes of his ability, but not enough

Pelle - Balls into him were generally poor all day, had one chance that he should have scored.

Subs: Romeu - Showed promise. Early yellow possibly stifled his defending at times.

Rodriguez - Did nothing, butby the time he was on, Everton were set up to counter attack.

JWP - Not enough time to do anything

Koeman - That initial team selection was poor. Too many attackers in the side when Davis is used at DM and Yoshida starts.

Next week, I expect Romeu in from the start and would like to see Juanmi come in.

Edited by Bewildered

There are positives in this game. JRod looks lively, Pelle was super (apart from finishing) and we are dynamic all over the pitch coming forwards. Romeu made a promising start. But midfield mix was all wrong in the first half and the defence has let everyone down. It's not their fault, we've simply not strengthened enough there.. yet.

Cavernous hole down our left side all match that Everton exploited a number of times. Targett, Yoshida and Davis all very poor and the rest not much better. Play like this and it's going to be a long season.

I see us finishing 10th ish

Fine lines. If Mane's shot goes in at 0-0 then Everton's heads could have dropped, our confidence sparked, and gone on to win the game.

Yes, our performance was poor overall but but its early days so not going to jump on the "we're doomed" bandwagon quote yet.

One positive, Romeu looks like he'll fit it well alongside Wanyama. Should have started in hindsight.

We march on.

Frustrating. Steven Davis can't play as a holding midfielder and is invisible as a number 10 when we're needing to create. Why is he an automatic pick every week? We were better in the second half but the nature of the game by that point meant we were going to be frustrated. Romeu and Wanyama must play and once Bertand is back and a CB signed we'll look a lot better. Targett was hopeless for the second game running and as usual Lukaku destroyed us.

Can't play as badly as we did in the first half against a decent side and come back from it

There are positives in this game. JRod looks lively, Pelle was super (apart from finishing) and we are dynamic all over the pitch coming forwards. Romeu made a promising start. But midfield mix was all wrong in the first half and the defence has let everyone down. It's not their fault, we've simply not strengthened enough there.. yet.

Sorry mate but I don't agree there. Pellè was wasteful and had one of those games where everything seemed to bounce off him. Everton coped with our attacking play comfortably and the same cannot be said for us with their strikers.

Alot of people should go and put their tampons back in :) still early days, we haven't finished our business yet plus players need time to adjust bed in however my main concerns from todays performance you cannot take credit away from Everton they played really well and took the opportunities.

However clearly Targett isn't up to this level maybe against lower premiership teams but the comparisons with Luke Shaw need to stop now! the amount of times he got beaten today was ridiculous. I understand that we need to get Bertrand back to fitness but reckon we should dabble in the market and get some further cover in this area! Put Targett out on loan or play him in the cups he needs to bulk up a bit to lightweight which is the same for most of our team get them on whatever diet Wanyama is on :)

Didn't think much of Soares ok he has a pretty decent cross but the man again is lightweight / easily beaten.

That look signing from chelsea ok first game needs time but didn't rate him

Lost in the starting line up IMO. It didn't work last week and we dodged a bullet, and it sure as hell didn't work this week and the bullet hit us right between the eyes.

Romeu fills a role we MUST have someone performing in our team, or else both defence and midfield go to hell. He should have started regardless of any unfamiliarity.

We've got the personnel (or will have, when/if VvD arrives) but we have to get them fit and play them in the right formation.

Huge Koeman clanger for me.

Very bad day at the office.

Ron got the starting lineup wrong I'm sorry to say. With only Davis and Wanyama, who had one of his 'can't-be-ar$ed' days, in the centre it was always going to be too easy for Everton to overpower us in midfield. Very poor. The shape was much better when Romeu came on for Tadic, but by then we were already 0-2 down and it was too late. Everton only had to keep it tight in their back 7-8 and then hope for something on the counter, which they duly got of course.

Things to learn from this game...

Targett is nowhere near ready for a prolonged run in the 1st team yet. When is Bertrand due back?

Yoshida is adequate cover but should not be 1st choice CB. Today's team performance will highlight further the need to strengthen this position.

Davis is not a DM holding player and never will be.

Wanyama needs to buck his f*cking ideas up and play like we know he can.

Long should never, ever be used for anything other than a super-sub to run at tired defenders.

Very, very appalling. Cedric, Targett, Maya, Davis and Long did nothing at all. Very ineffective when both in and out of possession.

Very concerned, defensively and obviously missing Bertrand is huge. Romeu and Wanyama played the same role. Pelle unlucky, snatched at a few chances when perhaps setting himself would have been the better option (not something that you can usually do in the opposition box in the PL).

Interestingly, I think Caulker would have dealt with Lukaku today (shame about the infection).

However, today Everton was absolutely superb. Defended brilliantly and Ross Barkley was effective and efficient today. Lukaku with an overdue performance.

Stekelenburg 6

Cedric 5

Fonte 6

Maya 5

Targett 5

Wanyama 6

Davis 6

Tadic 5

Mane 6

Pelle 7

Romeu 6

JWP 5

Jay Rod 6

No meltdown here but we just lost comprehensively at home to a team that drew at home with Watford last week. It's early days but thshy fact does not necessarily point to a comfortable season ahead. Bertrand back plus a new top drawer CB and hopefully we'll look more solid but any team would struggle to replace Morgan, and his absence is the root cause of our shambolic defending today.

Sorry mate but I don't agree there. Pellè was wasteful and had one of those games where everything seemed to bounce off him. Everton coped with our attacking play comfortably and the same cannot be said for us with their strikers.

I agree he can be wasteful. But I felt Pelle was a creative influence throughout and could easily have scored and assisted today. Lots of free chances in the box from us which suggests Everton got lucky more than anything in my opinion. Before the first goal we were all over them.

Very, very appalling. Cedric, Targett, Maya, Davis and Long did nothing at all. Very ineffective when both in and out of possession.

Very concerned, defensively and obviously missing Bertrand is huge. Romeu and Wanyama played the same role.

Actually I thought they worked together well when Romeu came on. Allowed Vic to get further forward a bit. Not that it helped mind you. I think he slotted in pretty decently. Not surprised to see him start next week. Or against the Midgets.

Bad game all round for us really with the exception of Pelle who I thought did well. Tactically got it completely wrong in the first half which left us chasing the game but we never really looked like breaking them down and seemed over reliant on getting aerial balls to Pelle.

Think Koeman really needs to rethink how he's setting up the team. Davis can't play that defensive midfield role so Romeu or Reed has to be put in there until Clasie is back. Wanyama looking disinterested at times is also worrying. Going forward we need a better plan as well. Last year a lot came down the flanks via Clyne and Bertrand which both Targett and Cedric haven't been able to properly replicate. I don't think they are getting much help from those in front of them though in this case Tadic and Long who barely seemed to be in the game at all. There needs to be a direct route from back to front and at the moment i'm just not seeing it.

I don't think we've suddenly turned into a bad team and the new players aren't the disasters others are trying to make them out to be either. Once we are over our injuries (Clasie, Bertrand) and get a new CB in we should hopefully look much more assured and solid, we have to set up the team properly though - for all the talk of a Morgan shaped hole in the midfield i'd say it's the fact we're not playing a CDM there that's the biggest issue and that falls firmly at the feet of Koeman.

It was the balance of the team more than anything today.

Davis deep, Mane, Long and Tadic is just too lightweight. Looked better when Romeu came on.

No meltdown yet, but work for Ronald to do.

Absolutely a balance issue. Obviously certain players deficiencies are evident, but the system simply served to highlight them further (as it did at Newcastle). Never again can Davis be played as part of a CM pairing - that decision beggars belief when the personnel in the back four is taken into consideration. If Romeu couldn't last 90 mins, then 3 CMs should've played. Never mind. The Romeu/Wanyama pairing looks promising enough though - I was actually fairly happy with the performance in the second half.

No good trying to improve set pieces going forwards if you forget to defend the counter. Carbon copy of last week for ****s sake.

If we want to defend the counter, the best place to start is by not giving it to them.

Davis keeps under-hitting corners. He did it twice last week and at least twice this week (Targett booking, goal) - with most of our defence in their box.

Someone obviously had a word in his ear because he then started over-hitting them. Perhaps he shouldn't be taking them.

Defence was poor, but we know that's going to be reinforced. Missed quite a few decent chances, but they all came from set pieces. The real problem for me is the absolute lack of connection between midfield and attack. When we pick up the ball in midfield, 9 times out of 10 the same thing will happen - whoever has it will look around for a few seconds, then inevitably dump it wide. Compared with the way Everton played today, there's absolutely no variety in our attack. Everton used their fullbacks when appropriate, but the likes of Barkley and Kone weren't afraid to turn and drive at our defence, committing players and creating overloads elsewhere. We've had this problem for more than two seasons, and haven't looked to address it at all this summer unless Juanmi converts from the on-the-shoulder striker he appears to be.

Very alarming. Alderwiereld signed for Spurs on July 8th, Yet over 6 weeks later we are still nowhere near to replacing him. Defensive uncertainty, strange team selections and some way below par performances mean we are currently a shambles.

Probably because the only target we have for the position won't be released by his actual club until after the CL qualifiers.

I'll not say anything just now, way too early but Dutch mania may not do us a lot of good this season..we shall see.

I don't think we were set up correctly from the start - our midfield was overrun 1st half and in hindsight we should have had an extra CM such as Romeu or JWP from the off, probably in place of Long. Unfortunately, their first goal was almost an exact copy of Newcastle's second against us last week. Their second right before HT gave us too big a mountain to climb. One of those days and performances, but RK would have learnt a lot from today I'm sure.

Wake up call for Ron. Still missing Bertrand, the new CB, integrating Romeu properly, getting JRod fully fit and on form, we'll be a lot stronger in games to come.

Still 3-0 at home always looks bad. Saw the Lukaku first goal. Great cross and good header but we were nowhere.

Stek: 6 (not really at fault for any of the goals)

Soares: 3 Truly awful defensively. Really hope first 2 games are an aberration and there is actually a defender underneath.

Fonte: 6 Best of defense today

Yoshida 4 Another bad game

Targett 4: Better than Soares is small complement

Wanyama 5: Shadow of him at his best.

Davis: 5 Played out of position first half, second half much better further forward, some decent deliveries too

Tadic: 6 Not sure why he came off. Looked dangerous first half

Long: 3 Anonymous, can't believe he lasted 70 minutes today

Mane: 6 Nice shot just before first goal,made some nice runs.

Pelle: 7 MOM, on another day would have got a goal

Romeu: 4 Could of been sent off. Don't see how he leapfrogged above Reed on the basis of this.

Jrod: 4 Didn't really get into game

JWP: JWP, didn't get into game

Very popr against a decent Everton.

Key Points:

1. Koeman got the shape wrong, Romeu or Reed should have started, they had far too much space in the midfield and Davis is poor in that deep position.

Koeman obviously wants our best player, Mane, to be as far forward as possible but it disrupts the shape. Long isnt a starter in a midfield position for me.

2. Yoshida and Targett were poor. Maya is a decent player but struggles at times against the more physical attackers and he was terrible at key moments today. Targett just isn't good enough right now for PL football. In an ideal world would be on loan in the Championship like Everton's no2 LB (Garbutt).

3. We should have learned from the first Lukaku break and not left Targett exposed following yet another dire Saints corner.

4. Romeu looked decent when he came on and importantly knows the role of that position. Not sure where Clasie fits in myself.

5. Why do we not own any midfielders who can be attacking if needed, all ours are either defensive or passers, nobody who looks to support the striker. This restricts our options in setting up the team.

6. Cedric struggled badly defensively, as at Newcastle. Nowhere near Clyne level.

7. Ultimately none of our signings have improved our starting XI (or even maintained it) and today we were missing 4 of our back 7 from last year.

8. Eventually, you will decline by continually losing the best players and replacing them with players with no PL experience and often at a much cheaper cost. Not a moan, just realism.

9. Lack of leadership on the pitch? Fonte and Pelle aside, I don't see a lot of talkers.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Won't matter who we put on the field in the long run...As soon as it sinks in with players that the only remaining ambition within the product is to fill big Kat's purse as much and as fast as possible, they drop their game and plan their exit strategy...just like all those before them.

0-3 to big Kats personal bean counters.

Won't matter who we put on the field in the long run...As soon as it sinks in with players that the only remaining ambition within the product is to fill big Kat's purse as much and as fast as possible, they drop their game and plan their exit strategy...just like all those before them.

I despair of our supporters sometimes

Embarrassing, but I honestly dont get the hatred against Targett. I think he did quite well today, along with Pelle, Big Vic and Romeu when he came on. The rest of te players were upper s*i*e, and even though I've never been a fan of Davis, it now should be pretty clear for RK that he has absolutely no control of the midfield. Yoshida isn't good enough, and Tadic and Long were shadows of themselves.

Looking forward to getting in a quality CB and hoping to see Romeu in the starting-eleven.

Furthermore I think it is difficult to find the attacking tactics, as it just seems to be balls in for Pelle and then hope for the best. If the crosses aren't good enough (like today), it depends on an individual raid from Mané. Ronald really needs to get this **** together.

Hope that this is a poor attempt at a joke?

Embarrassing, but I honestly dont get the hatred against Targett. I think he did quite well today.

If anyone is showing hatred then thats a shame and quite frankly ludicrous.

But today and last week has has been a weak link and out of his depth.

As we know with Fox, Hooiveld etc any weak links get ruthlessly exposed in the PL.