United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

In reality I don't really mind being a so-called 'stepping stone' club as it's pretty obvious that's what we are. Sign players from lower profile leagues, get a few decent seasons out of them and then get good money for them. I just wish the players would be more open about it as every time we sign someone we get the usual horsesh*t about Saints being a big club, the EPL is the best and most high-profile league, their looking forward to improving, etc. In reality they're here for the money, will play well for a couple of seasons tops and then expect to move to a bigger club and CL football. It's complete bullsh*t but it's now how we're seen.

Just don't bother getting a name printed on your shirt or giving a player their own song. We're just renting.

In reality I don't really mind being a so-called 'stepping stone' club as it's pretty obvious that's what we are. Sign players from lower profile leagues, get a few decent seasons out of them and then get good money for them. I just wish the players would be more open about it as every time we sign someone we get the usual horsesh*t about Saints being a big club, the EPL is the best and most high-profile league, their looking forward to improving, etc. In reality they're here for the money, will play well for a couple of seasons tops and then expect to move to a bigger club and CL football. It's complete bullsh*t but it's now how we're seen.
What a load of s***e, why would any fan want/need a player to say that. And they are telling the truth - regards looking forward to the opportunity at Saints, learning and growing as a player, the appeal of the EPL, so there's nothing wrong with that.

So let's see if i've got this straight...

- We've gone from not hearing anything while Man U were chasing Pedro, to having them gazumped by Chelsea only to have the media then announce that they are interested in Mane.

- Then we are told that a bid was made last week for around £15m but we want to push it up to £25m

- Then we are told that no bid has been made and that it is only 'interest still' but that Mane is apparently 'Keen'. This coming from a Man U source while one of our Journo's (Blackmore) says we have no interest in selling.

- Finally the club say he is not for sale but the media still expect a further bid. An actual official response possibly forthcoming.

- Somewhere in there one of the papers also says we are open to offers for Pelle

Anything i've missed? Sounds to me like while there's certainly interest, United are trying to play this out in the media to try and put pressure on us. Hopefully we tell them where to stick it.

We weren't "interested" in selling Lallana, Lovren, Clyne, Walcott, Oxlade, Lambert, Bale either. Not saying we'll definitely sell Mane, but the club saying we're not interested in selling means absolutely nothing.

Of course, I was just resonding to Alpines ridiculous comment amount the clubs not doing enough to stop the advances and the speculation. Words are empty. The real proof will be whether or not Mane is here after the close of the transfer window.

Yeah Man U made a bid last week, Saints ignored it, Man U ****ed up the Pedro deal and then leaked the Mane bid to the press to deflect away from the Pedro **** up.

If Man U wouldn't stump up the 22 million cash for Pedro would they really stump up the 25 million we would be looking for Mane?

Agreed. United probably then just through an enquiry our way which was rebuffed and now Pedro is off to Chelsea they are deflecting the loss of Pedro with Mane

Whatever is happening all this is bound to have an unsettling effect on Mane and right now that is a big concern.

To my mind he is our match winner and to lose him would be pretty disastrous.

I am sure the club will try and hold on to him but he has an excitable nature and I am not sure he would react well to being denied a move.

What a load of s***e, why would any fan want/need a player to say that. And they are telling the truth - regards looking forward to the opportunity at Saints, learning and growing as a player, the appeal of the EPL, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Plus, I'd be more than happy with a few decent seasons, just not one with the likes of Chambers, Shaw and Lovren.

Obviously, we should treat this caution until anything formal is said from both sides but I can totally understand people's frustrations and worries if we do sell Mane.

We lost five first-team regulars the previous season and in some ways, got very lucky that all of the players recruited to replace them bedded in so quickly and were of mostly a similar or higher standard. This year we've lost three and haven't replace them like-for-like, with the exception of Cedric who looks to have a few similar attributes to Clyne.

Other than that, Clasie isn't really a replacement for Schneiderlin, more a different option; probably better suited to replace Davis. Romeu isn't really a replacement of significant calibre for Schneiderlin, though they may play in a similar position. Once again, a different proposition slightly and a slightly underwhelming one (though obviously will reserve judgement until he's played a season or so).

As for Alderweireld, Yoshida "filling in" isn't good enough and whilst I do like Yoshida, he's not of the same quality. We haven't replaced him either and we really do need to step that up; Toby left us a long, long time ago now and we've gone into the season completely understaffed for that area.

I do feel sorry for the fans who've bought season tickets at the moment as they've been sold a bit of a dud on the back of an excellent season last year, likewise players like Fonte, who would definitely be feeling a sense of deja vu after last year's exodus.

Les talks of breaking the glass ceiling; that's all well and good but he must realise we will never get there with such massive disruption to our first team, season after season. At some point, they're going to have make either learn to say no and prove to the existing players and potential ones that we're not just a selling club, but a progressive club as well. People, players and fans alike aren't stupid; everyone knows there is a food chain in football and let's face it, we do sit just above the middle in that - but that doesn't mean we should accept the fact we will be raided every season for our best players.

Those same people also know that whilst we can't keep every player at the club long-term, this strategy is completely unsustainable and if we do want to have regular forays into Europe and achieve Les' dream of Champions League football, we need to act like one of the aspirants of that (Spurs, Liverpool etc), not one of the happy-go-lucky-just-glad-to-be-here competitors of the Premier League. After working so, so hard to get back to the Premier League and establish ourselves as a recognisable force and flagship role-model club, it doesn't make any sense to then undo it every season. Big money is all well and good but it's not a computer game; money is no guarantee of an excellent footballer or ideal replacement (Osvaldo, Veron, Rebrov, many of Liverpool's signings in the past twenty years etc).

The board say we've always had a plan and there is no reason to panic.... the question is, if Mane goes as well and with only 2 weeks left until the transfer window closes, what trust will YOU have left?

Obviously, we should treat this caution until anything formal is said from both sides but I can totally understand people's frustrations and worries if we do sell Mane.

We lost five first-team regulars the previous season and in some ways, got very lucky that all of the players recruited to replace them bedded in so quickly and were of mostly a similar or higher standard. This year we've lost three and haven't replace them like-for-like, with the exception of Cedric who looks to have a few similar attributes to Clyne.

Other than that, Clasie isn't really a replacement for Schneiderlin, more a different option; probably better suited to replace Davis. Romeu isn't really a replacement of significant calibre for Schneiderlin, though they may play in a similar position. Once again, a different proposition slightly and a slightly underwhelming one (though obviously will reserve judgement until he's played a season or so).

As for Alderweireld, Yoshida "filling in" isn't good enough and whilst I do like Yoshida, he's not of the same quality. We haven't replaced him either and we really do need to step that up; Toby left us a long, long time ago now and we've gone into the season completely understaffed for that area.

I do feel sorry for the fans who've bought season tickets at the moment as they've been sold a bit of a dud on the back of an excellent season last year, likewise players like Fonte, who would definitely be feeling a sense of deja vu after last year's exodus.

Les talks of breaking the glass ceiling; that's all well and good but he must realise we will never get there with such massive disruption to our first team, season after season. At some point, they're going to have make either learn to say no and prove to the existing players and potential ones that we're not just a selling club, but a progressive club as well. People, players and fans alike aren't stupid; everyone knows there is a food chain in football and let's face it, we do sit just above the middle in that - but that doesn't mean we should accept the fact we will be raided every season for our best players.

Those same people also know that whilst we can't keep every player at the club long-term, this strategy is completely unsustainable and if we do want to have regular forays into Europe and achieve Les' dream of Champions League football, we need to act like one of the aspirants of that (Spurs, Liverpool etc), not one of the happy-go-lucky-just-glad-to-be-here competitors of the Premier League. After working so, so hard to get back to the Premier League and establish ourselves as a recognisable force and flagship role-model club, it doesn't make any sense to then undo it every season. Big money is all well and good but it's not a computer game; money is no guarantee of an excellent footballer or ideal replacement (Osvaldo, Veron, Rebrov, many of Liverpool's signings in the past twenty years etc).

The board say we've always had a plan and there is no reason to panic.... the question is, if Mane goes as well and with only 2 weeks left until the transfer window closes, what trust will YOU have left?

Look, you made yourself look a bit silly last summer - don't do it again.

Very good post.

I apologise, but the phrase "complacency" keeps springing to mind.

Certain people at SMS have got too full of themselves. They need to come up with a strategy to make the club more attractive to new players AND to say f**k off to the big 6.

The big 6 will just keep chipping away at our squad now. They will not be happy until it's average at best and not ruffling their feathers any more. It would be refreshing for the player to come out and say he doesn't want to move but that's never going to happen.

Happy to confirm that we are in no way ruffling Manchester United's feathers.

I'd like to see a montage of Mane from last season , then Les come on screen (in a supermane costume) saying something like "Sadio will be the best player in the world in 2 years unless you're paying 50m don't bother us or him again"!

Look, you made yourself look a bit silly last summer - don't do it again.

It's a big if, and I don't think we should panic at all but can understand people's worries and frustrations. If we've got replacement players in mind, I do think it's time the club stumped up a bit of that cash and had a bit of a "balls out" incoming transfer sesh ourselves.

I doubt the Mane story was put out to deflect the Pedro story as very few Man U fans would be impressed by signing a fairly unknown Saints player, now if they used the Muller story I would agree

I don't think they have spent the money we took in last season that they said they would invest back as yet

We paid good money for him so my first thought is that we are going to want to see a substantial return on our investment and £15m is not it. Second thought is that he is one season into a four year deal so the club hold the aces on that score and while not having the reputation of Levy, Les is still pretty tough. No-one has really left on the cheap, even Clyne was ok given the contract tenure. The only weakness is the player himself; hence the media involvement. He can put pressure on Saints to move him on by being totally disruptive and let's be honest, Man Utd are the biggest club in the country so why wouldn't he want to go? Forget the stuff about loyalty, he signed the contract etc, this is a tough business. I would like us to say of course we are willing to sell, the price is £40m, paid upfront, and if you have the money Mr Woodward, you can get a flight from Manchester to Southampton on Flybe.

......or we have good players bigger teams want I can't recall us being forced to sell to anyone outside the top six. We quite easily told spurs to **** of when them came in for Morgan. Also to be fair the amount of money we rinse out of the big boys doesn't really equate with being a soft touch.

We do have good players yes. And agreed they will attract interest. But what makes us a soft touch is they know we will sell. All clubs have some decent players, they might lose 1, not 5!

Look at the way Everton are fending off Stones and Barkley. Berahino at West Brom, etc. Ok the transfer window isnt closed yet. But they at least try and keep them and the poachers know they are going to have to do some serious sweet talking and put some serious money on the table.

I doubt the Mane story was put out to deflect the Pedro story as very few Man U fans would be impressed by signing a fairly unknown Saints player, now if they used the Muller story I would agree

I don't think they have spent the money we took in last season that they said they would invest back as yet

Oh they've been running that one to mentioned it on Talk sport. I think it's pretty clear the Man U press boys have been trying to deflect the Pedro cock up.

It's a big if, and I don't think we should panic at all but can understand people's worries and frustrations. If we've got replacement players in mind, I do think it's time the club stumped up a bit of that cash and had a bit of a "balls out" incoming transfer sesh ourselves.

But you've just said that spending big money is no guarantee of a good player, so why do you think we need a "balls out sesh"?

We do have good players yes. And agreed they will attract interest. But what makes us a soft touch is they know we will sell. All clubs have some decent players, they might lose 1, not 5!

Look at the way Everton are fending off Stones and Barkley. Berahino at West Brom, etc. Ok the transfer window isnt closed yet. But they at least try and keep them and the poachers know they are going to have to do some serious sweet talking and put some serious money on the table.

I don't get peoples points about Everton.

If I read this without any prior knowledge I'd assume we'd sold him. But we've done exactly what Everton have done with Stones.

People getting their knickers in a right old twist on here.

Could be some good deflecting going on from Utd.

Lots of chat about Mane. Less about their dithering with Pedro.

Absolutely this. The Pedro situation would've created unbelievable amounts of fan pressure/talk (i.e. complaints). By all accounts, they are interested in Mane, but the timing of this leak is transparent. How often are United made to look like complete suckers where transfers are concerned? They've set a record this year by being 'done' twice (Pedro/Ramos).

I don't get peoples points about Everton.

If I read this without any prior knowledge I'd assume we'd sold him. But we've done exactly what Everton have done with Stones.

People getting their knickers in a right old twist on here.

i think it is the point over the last 12 months here and comparing to everton.....

Serious question has anyone ever actually bid for Barkley? Berahino will go if the money is right but spurs went in on the low side (as they always do). Stones might stay though the press are hinting Everton are about to fold for £40 million.

Sounds like you have a bit of a nervous disposition pal, wouldn't want you along side me in the trenches. Last year you cried and wailed , if he goes it will be bad but calm down and get some perspective.

The Mane leak has quickly supplanted the Pedro story as the headline story on many football news sites.