United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

Selling Mane would put such a downer on the start of the season, he was pretty much the only good thing to come out of the last 2/3 months of last season.

With it being this late in the window and him being such a key player we just have to say no.

Even 30m or whatever is scant consolation. We don't tend to spend most of what comes in and the scouting setup that found Mane has changed anyway.

Edited by Saint Charlie

But thats one key player a year and we pay good money. Saints get robbed of 5,6,7 key players every ****ing window so its a big different. My oppinion offcourse.

I bet Celtic fans feel the same about Southampton...

2013 - Wanyama

2014 - Forster

2015 - van Dijk?

It happens at all levels of football, there are only a handful of clubs at the very top of European football that don't sell their best players.

A couple of things. Does he have:

- Sell on Clause

- Champions League team buy out clause.

Buy out clauses ain't worth the paper they're written Liverpool proved that already , saying that 25m and Wilson I'd take!

He wouldn't be cheaper than Pedro. We'd only sell at 25 million + I would think

Saints do the same to other clubs. They may soon have Forster, Wanyama and van Dijk from Celtic in their squad.

Completely different Celtic still win the league Celtic still get to play Champions League football, we have absolutely no chance of winning anything or getting Champions league when we keep losing our best players.

Celtic can make a profit and still win things so it's completely different.

I think after 40+ years of following Saints that i'm close to giving up on football altogether. No clubs can compete with the top 4/5 sides and when you do get close to having a side that will give the big boys a run for the money you get raided. The players themselves are nothing but greedy mercenaries who dont give a jot about the fans or the club that gave them their chance to sign. Yes i'm ****ed off, but whats the point if we cant say NO or the players we signed from oblivion sulk until they get their

LOL

At some point the club needs to draw a line in the sand.

It's not just about the latest targeted player but about the attitude of the rest of the squad - and even players we haven't signed yet. If you get the reputation of being a "stepping stone club", that's exactly what you become in the eyes of present and future players and their agents.

Having said that, I love the positives that Mané brings but I think his "fart in a thunderstorm" style screws us up tactically as often as it helps us. I want to see that line drawn - and soon, but silly money for Mané might not be as bad a thing as it seems at first blush.

As long as "The Black Box" knows exactly what we need to do next, if he goes. There I have my doubts.

What form do you see this line in the sand taking? If the players are refused moves to clubs offering big wage increases and Champions League football then they will refuse to sign new contracts and their values will drop as they approach the end of their contract.

Why is it a bad thing to be a "stepping stone" club? What would you propose as an alternative? Les Reed has openly labelled Saints as a "showcase club", in terms of the best up and coming talent across European football Saints would be in a good position to give them a chance to impress in the world's most high profile league.

LOL

I'm afraid it's not LOL for many of us. The attraction that we once held for football has dwindled. Maybe it would have happened anyway, but the money side of things isn't hugely attractive. I can't really see the point of being part of a competition that you have absolutely zero chance of winning, and are just there to make up the numbers. I guess though, that while we have no chance of winning the PL, we might finish high enough for the European competitions - one which we have absolutely no chance of winning, and one where we have more chance of winning than we do the PL.

But thats one key player a year and we pay good money. Saints get robbed of 5,6,7 key players every ****ing window so its a big different.

What do you propose as an alternative? Do you want Saints to only sign players that Champions League & richer clubs will never want?

My oppinion offcourse.

I'm glad you clarified that, I thought it may have been someone else's.

What form do you see this line in the sand taking? If the players are refused moves to clubs offering big wage increases and Champions League football then they will refuse to sign new contracts and their values will drop as they approach the end of their contract.

Why is it a bad thing to be a "stepping stone" club? What would you propose as an alternative? Les Reed has openly labelled Saints as a "showcase club", in terms of the best up and coming talent across European football Saints would be in a good position to give them a chance to impress in the world's most high profile league.

Nobody thinks Mane will sign a new deal, he has 3 years left and we would have lost him next summer anyway so thats irrelevant.

You can only be a showcase club if you have good enough players that form a good enough team to showcase something. Showcase club doesnt mean sell your best 3/4 players every summer as, spending what we do, we would have no good players left after 5 or 6 years.

why ? Because you cannot build a successful team, you will have two or three taken from you every single year, as has happened the past two years.

The main reason is that you cannot continually roll the dice and come up with decent replacements. Eventually your luck or magic touch will run out and you will slide down the league etc.

Selling Mane this window would be totally insane hence I don't believe it. He is by far our best attacker and probably best player. Koeman is usually pretty quick to rubbish any newspaper talk and based on the Fonte story would presume this is absolute horse sh!t.

None of that accounts for team cohesion and stability which is massively important. Koeman today was talkjng about how difficult it is when you lose 5 players who were key to how the team defends, even if the individual replacements are good players, it can take time. Can we realistically keep doing that? And to what end?

Put the pom poms away and just admit that it would be dissapointing to see another good player for us leave.

why ? Because you cannot build a successful team, you will have two or three taken from you every single year, as has happened the past two years.

The main reason is that you cannot continually roll the dice and come up with decent replacements. Eventually your luck or magic touch will run out and you will slide down the league etc.

Couldn't agree more!

Selling Mane this window would be totally insane hence I don't believe it. He is by far our best attacker and probably best player. Koeman is usually pretty quick to rubbish any newspaper talk and based on the Fonte story would presume this is absolute horse sh!t.

Guess we'll find out in the post match interview on Thursday then!

I agree but Fonte was linked with Villa. United are a different kettle of fish

Nobody thinks Mane will sign a new deal, he has 3 years left and we would have lost him next summer anyway so thats irrelevant.

You can only be a showcase club if you have good enough players that form a good enough team to showcase something. Showcase club doesnt mean sell your best 3/4 players every summer as, spending what we do, we would have no good players left after 5 or 6 years.

None of that accounts for team cohesion and stability which is massively important. Koeman today was talkjng about how difficult it is when you lose 5 players who were key to how the team defends, even if the individual replacements are good players, it can take time. Can we realistically keep doing that? And to what end?

Put the pom poms away and just admit that it would be dissapointing to see another good player for us leave.

Couldn't agree more!

None of you answered my question...

What would you propose as an alternative?

If the players are refused moves to clubs offering big wage increases and Champions League football then they will refuse to sign new contracts and their values will drop as they approach the end of their contract.

I can't see Mané signing a new contract with us. He has 3 years left so with another good season, he will either go for c£25m next Summer or he'll go the season after for significantly less...a la Clyne.

As much as we hate it, this is modern football - we will always be prey to the 'bigger' clubs. All but a handful of teams lose their very best players - infact you can probably count those that don't on one hand. Liverpool signed a load of our players but they've lost Suarez and Sterling... United will lose De Gea. Clubs in League 2 lose their best players to teams further up the ladder, teams in the Eredivisie lose their best players to the Premier League more often than not - it's how it is.

Our club has identified, bought, developed and nurtured extremely well and this means players get sold. I don't think Mané will go in this window. But, if he does.. We will reinvest, we will move on and we will be fine. We have come a long way in a short space of time and this is definitely more fun than the 2008/2009 season...

I'm not suggesting that drawing the line is easy, because it isn't - for the reason you outlined. But being seen to at least make the effort to do so - like Everton and Stones, Palace and Bolasie (even if they sell in the end) - is a starting point that I'm not sure we've reached yet.

Why is being a stepping stone club a bad thing? Because sooner or later you run out of luck with the replacements - we've made some great signings but we've also had some really bad big-money buys during the Reed era.

What would I propose as an alternative? What I said above. Reed didn't say "join Saints and get yourself a move to a really big club", so he should be much less accepting of that mindset.

If the players are refused moves to clubs offering big wage increases and Champions League football then they will refuse to sign new contracts and their values will drop as they approach the end of their contract.

There doesn't need to be an alternative. He is 1 year into a 4 year deal his value will go up if he has a good year. We won't ever get him to sign another contract so there is no problem.

the alternative is NOT to sell Mane this summer. Which is pretty sensible.

work mightily hard on extending contracts of as many top players as possible...quite like what everton and other clubs do.

The alternative is to sell players at the right time and at the right price and balance it with the overall stability and cohesion on of the team. Not just to sell straight away when the first offer comes in, especially when that happens to be 2 weeks away from the end of the window and player has 3 years on their contract left to run.

Ridiculous to think we cannot keep players here, or that we just bend over backwards when a player decides he wants to leave or a team wants one of our players. I cannot stand Levy, but he does a brilliant job at getting a lot of money for their players, much like we do tbf.

I don't think he is good enough for Man Utd, especially as I cannot see him displacing Depay.

He is replaceable, just not this window, we have to keep him.

If you keep on losing players, you eventually dont get so lucky with replacements and you end up not scoring enough goals (I am genuinely worried about that for this season), or leaking too many. I'm not saying we're particularly in danger of getting relegated this season, but many teams have improved and we have got considerably worse.

The alternative is to sell players at the right time and at the right price and balance it with the overall stability and cohesion on of the team. Not just to sell straight away when the first offer comes in, especially when that happens to be 2 weeks away from the end of the window and player has 3 years on their contract left to run.

When have we done that?

Yes, but then when you slide down the league, the big boys will turn their attention elsewhere and you can build yourself up again (so long as you haven't slid so far down that you have dropped off the edge).

the alternative is NOT to sell Mane this summer. Which is pretty sensible.

work mightily hard on extending contracts of as many top players as possible...quite like what everton and other clubs do.

Why the hell don't you clear off and support one of these "other" clubs as you clearly think they are better

you have next to nothing to say that is positive about us, you just whine and complain about everything saints do

Why do you hang around ?

To be honest I think its nonsense. Utd could get any player in the world (apart from maybe Real Madrid/Barca stars). Why would they go for a decent player when they can have MEGAstars.

If it is true then like many others have said what is the point in putting time, money and passion into saints.

Ok we did a "fantastic rebuilding job" (why dont we just trade mark that) last summer, we only did that because we had to. Its like saying "I built an amazing house".. well yeah great its only coz you burned the last one down so what?

But he hasn't gone yet and this might all be BS. Clubs are perfectly entitled to make approaches. Its just the fact we always sell that makes the fans so angry.

In 13/14 season we finished 8th with a great squad. Then got decimated, totally rebuilt, and finished 7th. SO the downside is we get it wrong and become relegation fodder. The upside is we climb ONE place. Thats a terrible terrible plan in the long run. Its like betting everything you have on RED at the roulette table and it coming up and therefore assume its a long term strategy