Interesting from Big Sam

Saint Charlie

from ronalds point of view he has to put his foot down

he cant keep having his best players sold from under him

you have to be careful, you cant keep expecting recruitment to buy adequate replacements in those numbers

everton, they will sell maybe 1 a year.

Edited by Batman

I am sure we have only sold two players this summer, both of which were predicated and replacements brought in straight away. BFS makes it sound as if we have sold five players as we did last summer. At least we buy players with a resale value, I can't think of many BFS signings that have been worth anything after he has had them. Our strategy is much more sustainable than his.

What's he chatting about exactly? We sold 2 players we fully expected to sell. Toby was never ours and will be replacement imminently.

The club have put their foot down and have categorically said that NO ONE ELSE will be sold. So what is he chatting about? Just waffle to try and make transfer deadline week/day/whatever exciting. Chat about nothing really.

What's he chatting about exactly? We sold 2 players we fully expected to sell. Toby was never ours and will be replacement imminently.

The club have put their foot down and have categorically said that NO ONE ELSE will be sold. So what is he chatting about? Just waffle to try and make transfer deadline week/day/whatever exciting. Chat about nothing really.

Clearly he is talking about the last two summers collectively and in the context of rumours about further departures.

from ronalds point of view he has to put his foot down

he cant keep having his best players sold from under him

you have to be careful, you cant keep expecting recruitment to buy adequate replacements in those numbers

everton, they will sell maybe 1 a year.

Did you know 76 of your last 81 posts have been negative towards saints and you've mentioned or made reference to Everton in 24 of them.

no. but thanks for counting

No problem, interesting numbers aren't they, certainly about what I expected. Would it be fair to say you've become a considerably less amusing alpine (at least he pretends its his son posting sometimes) with a weird obsession with Everton?

Ronald noticeably post match compared this Watford game to Swansea and Hull last year both of which were 1-0 wins and said we are a bit behind that sort of level.

He has already mentioned a couple of times post match the difficulty of integrating new players and changing the team.

He is probably feeling the frustrstion as much as anyone. Last summer was different for him as he hadn't worked with Lallana, Lovren, Shaw etc.

As Allardyce says, eventually you will not be able to replace the quality.

In addition maybe the intensity of the other players drops slightly as they get the feeling the team is less capable than the previous seasons, as well as seeing some of their pals earning double or triple what they do and playing in bigger matches for better clubs. It is bound to have an impact.

I'm sure we will improve, but it is unrealistic to expect us to be the same force as last year, with an inferior team, more expectation and possible increased workload with Europe.

Nothing wrong with saying that surely? Its the truth.

BFS is right. In 1 year we have recycled the entire first team bar Jayrod and Fonte. The result is Ronald has a team that he just can't get to gel at the moment.

The fans need to have patience with him and the team, which most of us do.

That said, a message needs to be sent to the board that can not carry on destroying the soul of the club on a yearly basis. We've scrapped long standing members of the team in the past year, and signed replacements which block the development pathway of the youngsters. Not only that, but we have not fully reinvested the funds from transfer sales or tv monies and we have a weaker first 11 at this moment in time.

I am dissatisfied with the board frankly. They ****ed up proper the last 2 summers and the only thing they got right is Koeman. The talent drain has been unprecedented, both playing squad and backroom staff. And it is starting to show this year imho. I don't think the damage is completely done, Koeman has made some good knowledge buys in tadic, pelle, claise and stek and soon VVD and we are very fortunate to have him. But the club will go backwards if the board do it again next summer and they have once again dropped clangers with the contract situations on both Wanyama and Koeman himself. At least with Shaw, Lallana etc, Cortese got them tied down to long term deals at least ffs....

Ronald noticeably post match compared this Watford game to Swansea and Hull last year both of which were 1-0 wins and said we are a bit behind that sort of level.

He has already mentioned a couple of times post match the difficulty of integrating new players and changing the team.

He is probably feeling the frustrstion as much as anyone. Last summer was different for him as he hadn't worked with Lallana, Lovren, Shaw etc.

As Allardyce says, eventually you will not be able to replace the quality.

In addition maybe the intensity of the other players drops slightly as they get the feeling the team is less capable than the previous seasons, as well as seeing some of their pals earning double or triple what they do and playing in bigger matches for better clubs. It is bound to have an impact.

I'm sure we will improve, but it is unrealistic to expect us to be the same force as last year, with an inferior team, more expectation and possible increased workload with Europe.

Nothing wrong with saying that surely? Its the truth.

I don't want to say we were lucky last season, but for a squad of our ability we were playing at optimum performance levels. I think Ron has to take a lot of credit for that. There were only 4 or 5 games last season where we deserved nothing. Liverpool and Spurs were playing way below their own levels on a regular basis yet still finished above us.

I just don't think it's realistic to expect a repeat of last season. I think we are a mid-table side. There's not a lot to choose between ourselves and Stoke, Swansea, Newcastle, Palace etc. We could finish 8th as easily as we could 14th. To be honest last season was as good as will get whilst we operate the way we do. That's not being critical of the club and the way it's run, it's the reality of the situation.

I would much prefer we go on a run in Europa this season, forget the league in terms of aiming for top 6/7/8.

We looked a bit rusty again today, but once VVD arives along with the return of Bertrand and Clasie, we will look a lot more solid. Still think we should make a move for Redmond.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BFS is right. In 1 year we have recycled the entire first team bar Jayrod and Fonte. The result is Ronald has a team that he just can't get to gel at the moment.

That said, a message needs to be sent to the board that can not carry on destroying the soul of the club on a yearly basis. We've scrapped long standing members of the team in the past year, and signed replacements which block the development pathway of the youngsters. Not only that, but we have not fully reinvested the funds from transfer sales or tv monies and we have a weaker first 11 at this moment in time.

I am dissatisfied with the board frankly. They ****ed up proper the last 2 summers and the only thing they got right is Koeman. The talent drain has been unprecedented, both playing squad and backroom staff. And it is starting to show this year imho. I don't think the damage is completely done, Koeman has made some good knowledge buys in tadic, pelle, claise and stek and soon VVD and we are very fortunate to have him. But the club will go backwards if the board do it again next summer and they have once again dropped clangers with the contract situations on both Wanyama and Koeman himself. At least with Shaw, Lallana etc, Cortese got them tied down to long term deals at least ffs....

The board haven't been "destroying the soul of the club on a yearly basis" you lunatic.

That's pretty special.

Why do people keep harping on about last summer? We had our best ever finish after flogging five players last summer. What ever is happening this season has clearly got f uck all to do with those players who left last summer. This summer we've sold two players, and yes Morgan would always be a big miss, and actually bought in more players than we've sold. The team is hardly ripping up trees at the beginning of this season but it's got nothing to do with Lalanna, Lovern and the others leaving 12 months ago.

Why do people keep harping on about last summer? We had our best ever finish after flogging five players last summer. What ever is happening this season has clearly got f uck all to do with those players who left last summer. This summer we've sold two players, and yes Morgan would always be a big miss, and actually bought in more players than we've sold. The team is hardly ripping up trees at the beginning of this season but it's got nothing to do with Lalanna, Lovern and the others leaving 12 months ago.

The fact is that certain people were made to look very, very, very, very silly last summer. They didn't have much chance to harp back on last season to proclaim they were right, but this is now the perfect opportunity for them to jump back on board the ''asset'-strip'' ******** that was spouted out.

And before my friend Dig Dig mentions that I wasn't happy last summer, no there were stages I wasn't and I made my feelings known, but I accepted that the club came through what was an unprecedented situation with a lot of success and plaudits. I put trust in Les Reed and that trust was rewarded. I can admit when I judged a situation wrong, or when I let the emotions get ahead of me, but seemingly some people just can't let it go just so they can get one over on their fellow fans. It's very odd and nothing to do with football what so ever.

What a pile of steaming sh*te.

Face it, many, many posters are, putting it politely, special.

I just mentioned that SA was referring to the two summers collectively. Weird to expect anyone, Saints fan or overwise to think about the turnover in players on the basis of this summer alone.

If I've upset latest acceptable linear way of thinking then I apologies.

The fact is that certain people were made to look very, very, very, very silly last summer. They didn't have much chance to harp back on last season to proclaim they were right, but this is now the perfect opportunity for them to jump back on board the ''asset'-strip'' ******** that was spouted out.

And before my friend Dig Dig mentions that I wasn't happy last summer, no there were stages I wasn't and I made my feelings known, but I accepted that the club came through what was an unprecedented situation with a lot of success and plaudits. I put trust in Les Reed and that trust was rewarded. I can admit when I judged a situation wrong, or when I let the emotions get ahead of me, but seemingly some people just can't let it go just so they can get one over on their fellow fans. It's very odd and nothing to do with football what so ever.

It's amazing how much last season's success story really stuck in the throat of some people.

Well, they've got a second bite of the cherry and they are going for it.

That's the only explanation that our recent poor couple of performances are being greeted on here with a barrage of grizzling about players we sold between twelve and fifteen months ago.

Bless them, they are having a great time with it. Would never happen at Everton you know.

Is the "you might get away with it once but won't ever year" argument completely unvalid though?

I don't see it in the huge extremes some do, but can see why people think it.

Hopefully once all the summer signings have bedded in though we won't be too far off. The injuries to Bertrand and Clasie really haven't helped, whilst Cedric and Juanmi are adjusting to the PL but clearly capable and Jay Rod still finding sharpness.

Tadic of the players is probably the biggest concern as he was so key to our early season form. His decline is bizarre.

Is the "you might get away with it once but won't ever year" argument completely unvalid though?

I don't see it in the huge extremes some do, but can see why people think it.

Hopefully once all the summer signings have bedded in though we won't be too far off. The injuries to Bertrand and Clasie really haven't helped, whilst Cedric and Juanmi are adjusting to the PL but clearly capable and Jay Rod still finding sharpness.

Tadic of the players is probably the biggest concern as he was so key to our early season form. His decline is bizarre.

My biggest concern is that long gets anywhere near the team. He's terrible.

I just mentioned that SA was referring to the two summers collectively. Weird to expect anyone, Saints fan or overwise to think about the turnover in players on the basis of this summer alone.

If I've upset latest acceptable linear way of thinking then I apologies.

Last summer we signed Bertrand, Forster, Mane, Toby. All brilliant. Pelle, Tadic. Great. A winning transfer window.

The summer before we signed Lovren and Wanyama, both brilliant. A winning transfer window.

The summer before that Clyne, Jay Rod, Davis. A winning transfer window.

The summer before that Cork and Fox, fairly quiet both both massive players in promoting us. Still winning.

We could look back and think, on balance we've been brilliant at recruiting players. Brilliant.

Maybe we've done it again.

Or we could just go on about transfers out from 14 months ago and make out it makes any fu cking difference at all to where we are now.

It's amazing how much last season's success story really stuck in the throat of some people.

Well, they've got a second bite of the cherry and they are going for it.

That's the only explanation that our recent poor couple of performances are being greeted on here with a barrage of grizzling about players we sold between twelve and fifteen months ago.

Bless them, they are having a great time with it. Would never happen at Everton you know.

This coming from the SWF king of the one-up manship opportunity.

I highly doubt that there are any real Saints fan, even the weird ones, who wouldn't have enjoyed last season. Maybe you take this place a bit too seriously but I'm sure 99.99% of people don't let some interactions with faceless goons on the internet alter their enjoyment of the team they support.

You've almost definitely won the award for most mentions of Everton today BTW. Maybe Turkish can count them for you.

The main difference being we paid bigger fees for each of Bertrand, Mane, Forster, Pelle, Tadic, Long, Wanyama and Lovren than anyone signed this summer.

Time will tell if the new lads are successful, but we haven't paid the big bucks (don't always need to) that we have previously and so far none have overly stood out as being quality.

This coming from the SWF king of the one-up manship opportunity.

I highly doubt that there are any real Saints fan, even the weird ones, who wouldn't have enjoyed last season. Maybe you take this place a bit too seriously but I'm sure 99.99% of people don't let some interactions with faceless goons on the internet alter their enjoyment of the team they support.

You've almost definitely won the award for most mentions of Everton today BTW. Maybe Turkish can count them for you.

It's got nothing to do with an internet forum, though, has it.

We've started poorly and people are moaning about stuff that happened at the club a year ago. Not on this forum. At Southampton Football Club.

The stuff that happened a year ago at Southampton Football Club really hasn't got any relevance to now, for most normal people look at the success we've had at our most successful season for nigh on thirty years, the fact that the two players we've sold were obviously going and look ahead to go again with a manager we trust at a club that is built on the finest of foundations.

You can blather on about web forums if you like, but don't really see why you would.

Last summer we signed Bertrand, Forster, Mane, Toby. All brilliant. Pelle, Tadic. Great. A winning transfer window.

The summer before we signed Lovren and Wanyama, both brilliant. A winning transfer window.

The summer before that Cork and Fox, fairly quiet both both massive players in promoting us. Still winning.

We could look back and think, on balance we've been brilliant at recruiting players. Brilliant.

Or we could just go on about transfers out from 14 months ago and make out it makes any fu cking difference at all to where we are now.

Just pointing out that SA was talking about amount of players sold over the last year and you end up writing out our last few years transfer windows :lol:

Just pointing out that SA was talking about amount of players sold over the last year and you end up writing out our last few years transfer windows :lol:

I knew you'd hate that. Looks pretty delicious to me. We're really good at recruiting players aren't we? We finished seventh last year. It was brilliant.

I find it amazing on here how many of our fans are not bothered by the quality of players that have left or 'may be' about to leave our club. The fact is we will not keep getting away with it like we did last summer. Some will argue that there are signs already that this summers recruitment may not have been as fruitful as last summers. If Wanyama and Mane leave so late in the window we really could have big problems as we may not be able to get replacements in before the window shuts. I agree with BFS that RK needs to put his foot down and say 'nobody is leaving until i am happy that the replacements are lined up and that they are of adequate quality'.

It's got nothing to do with an internet forum, though, has it.

We've started poorly and people are moaning about stuff that happened at the club a year ago. Not on this forum. At Southampton Football Club.

The stuff that happened a year ago at Southampton Football Club really hasn't got any relevance to now, for most normal people look at the success we've had at our most successful season for nigh on thirty years, the fact that the two players we've sold were obviously going and look ahead to go again with a manager we trust at a club that is built on the finest of foundations.

You can blather on about web forums if you like, but don't really see why you would.

Think you need to read your post again because you are clearly wittling on about what people on here have been grizzling on about.

Who at Southampton Football Club are moaning about what happened last year?

Funny how you missed the other excellent signings such as Ramirez, Osvaldo, etc etc. Selective memory.

I find it amazing on here how many of our fans are not bothered by the quality of players that have left or 'may be' about to leave our club. The fact is we will not keep getting away with it like we did last summer. Some will argue that there are signs already that this summers recruitment may not have been as fruitful as last summers. If Wanyama and Mane leave so late in the window we really could have big problems as we may not be able to get replacements in before the window shuts. I agree with BFS that RK needs to put his foot down and say 'nobody is leaving until i am happy that the replacements are lined up and that they are of adequate quality'.

It's not that I'm not bothered, I'm just pragmatic.

I think the majority of us get it. It's you lot that seemingly don't.

This summer we lost Morgan, who we'd all accepted would be gone this window anyway. So i'm not sure why people are using this transfer as a stick to hit the club with. It was obvious it would happen on September 1st last year. Clyne was a deal that made sense for the club. We offered him a contract, we were seemingly advanced with that, but Liverpool came knocking and turned his head. We could have kept him, but then we'd have run the risk of losing one of our best players for zilch. We had to protect our investment so made a decision that made sense for the club.

Other than that, we've not lost anyone else. And what are you agreeing with? The club have said, Ronald has said, No one will be leaving. End of discussion. Door shut.

Funny how you missed the other excellent signings such as Ramirez, Osvaldo, etc etc. Selective memory.

The majority of our recruitment over the past 5 years has been top draw, undeniable. There have been a few flakes, as all clubs will get, but we've got it right more often than not.

I knew you'd hate that. Looks pretty delicious to me. We're really good at recruiting players aren't we? We finished seventh last year. It was brilliant.

Haha, I didn't hate it, who doesn't like a bit of a whistful walk down memory lane?

The board need to put their foot down with Koeman as much as vice versa. We've been sh#t since January and he seems insistent on signing dross from Holland. The quality of our recruitment has plummeted in recent years, whilst we've signed a few decent players, the core of top performing players were by and large ones signed pre Pochettino which is ridiculous considering the money spent since.

You win the sweepstake. When I sent that post I thought the obvious reply would come within about three posts and it did. Well done.

The board need to put their foot down with Koeman as much as vice versa. We've been sh#t since January and he seems insistent on signing dross from Holland. The quality of our recruitment has plummeted in recent years, whilst we've signed a few decent players, the core of top performing players were by and large ones signed pre Pochettino which is ridiculous considering the money spent since.

I thought only three players were signed while Pochettino was with us?

The board haven't been "destroying the soul of the club on a yearly basis" you lunatic.

That's pretty special.

What a pile of steaming sh*te.
3 good responses. While I agree that it is alarming the amount of turnover we have had, it is not the board's fault, but the very nature of modern football. Every single player we lost these past 2 years (but would have loved to have retained) went to a traditional big club that will pay 2 to 3 times the wages - wages we cannot afford to pay.

We have been a victim of our own success. The board has fostered this success as is there is obvious quality in the club from top to bottom. The ManU's and Liverpool's of the world are not plucking players from Newcastle, West Brom and Sunderland. If we were poor, no one would even take notice of us.

We will always be in a constant state of recovery (if we maintain our general quality), but the only recovery that is going to occur is to maintain mid-table status. Last year we got to 7th, this year could be 12th, the next year we may inch up to 8th, the following year back down to 13th.

The best players will be plucked from the team whenever we threaten the Top 6. The best players understandably will willingly go, and we will fall back.

There is a ceiling in this league for clubs like ours (look at the final table for the last 2 decades) and it will be not be allowed to be broken. There is not much "the board" can do about it.

Yes. People are moaning about what happened at the club a year ago. Not moaning about what happened on this forum a year ago. They are moaning about what happened at Southampton football club a year ago.

I thought only three players were signed while Pochettino was with us?

Can't be bothered to check, but I'm on about Koeman signings too, the players signed pre-Pochettino were always the core of the team now the only one left is Fonte and we're struggling. Players like Wanyama and Mane and Pelle have all been reasonable but none have performed to the same degree, Bertrand would be the only exception off the top of my head.

3 good responses. While I agree that it is alarming the amount of turnover we have had, it is not the board's fault, but the very nature of modern football. Every single player we lost these past 2 years (but would have loved to have retained) went to a traditional big club that will pay 2 to 3 times the wages - wages we cannot afford to pay.

We have been a victim of our own success. The board has fostered this success as is there is obvious quality in the club from top to bottom. The ManU's and Liverpool's of the world are not plucking players from Newcastle, West Brom and Sunderland. If we were poor, no one would even take notice of us.

We will always be in a constant state of recovery (if we maintain our general quality), but the only recovery that is going to occur is to maintain mid-table status. Last year we got to 7th, this year could be 12th, the next year we may inch up to 8th, the following year back down to 13th.

The best players will be plucked from the team whenever we threaten the Top 6. The best players understandably will willingly go, and we will fall back.

There is a ceiling in this league for clubs like ours (look at the final table for the last 2 decades) and it will be not be allowed to be broken. There is not much "the board" can do about it.

Absolutely.