Our Best XI Since Return to Prem

St Chalet

With all the chat about how much worse we are I thought I'd work out what our best XI from the Prem Years would look like.

For me:

Forster

Clyne

Alderweirled

Fonte

Bertrand

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Davis

Jrod

Lambert

Mane

(if I was picking a team of individuals - Lallana for Davis @#10)

------------------- Lambert ----------------

Rodriguez ----------------------------- Mane

----..------------- S. Davis ......................

........ Wanyama ........ Schneiderlin ......

Bertrand .. Fonte .. Alderweireld.. Clyne

------------------- Forster -------------------

Seems we are of a similar mind St Chalet.

---------------------------------Boruc

---Clyne---------------Fonte-----------Alderweireld---------Bertrand

---------------------Wanyama------Schneiderlin

----Mane---------------------Lallana-----------------Rodriguez

------------------------------Lambert

Subs: Stekelenburg, Shaw, Lovren, Cork, Davis, Puncheon, Pelle.

----------Forster--------

Clyne-Fonte-Toby-Bertrand

----Wanyama-Morgan------

Lallana---Mane--Rodriguez

----------Lambert----------

For the last 3 years, that team pretty much picks itself. Maybe Davis in for Mané for the sake of balance. Maybe Shaw too. I think a Premier League 11 would be more interesting.

Niemi

Clyne - Svensson - Toby - Bertrand

Wanyama - Morgan

Lallana - Le Tiss - Pahars

Beattie

---------------------------------Boruc

---Clyne---------------Fonte-----------Alderweireld---------Bertrand

---------------------Wanyama------Schneiderlin

----Mane---------------------Lallana-----------------Rodriguez

------------------------------Lambert

Subs: Stekelenburg, Shaw, Lovren, Cork, Davis, Puncheon, Pelle.

Was in two minds about Boruc. Am a massive fan, I think he was our most talented and gifted stopper, unfortunately his concentration and professionalism let him down.

----Wanyama-Morgan------

Pace from midfield was the only thing lacking in the Lallana/Lambert/Jrod years, and Mane would add that. I'm sure some will argue that this team has just too many goals and assists in it, so needs a plodder put in in place of Mane, but they'd be wrong...

Anyway assuming that, has to be the front 3 of Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez as they had such a brilliant understanding. That team just needed more goals from midfield and a stronger defence and keeper.

----Wanyama-Morgan------

God that would be a good team, pace, tricky, creativity, width and attack from full back, ridiculously strong centre defensively. Basically everything we don't have.

A team I'd suggest our budget could afford.

Anyway assuming that, has to be the front 3 of Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez as they had such a brilliant understanding. That team just needed more goals from midfield and a stronger defence and keeper.

----Wanyama-Morgan------

God that would be a good team, pace, tricky, creativity, width and attack from full back, ridiculously strong centre defensively. Basically everything we don't have.

You are looking at a top four side there, and if over this summer Van Dijk and Austin were added per se, it would be frightening. Hindsight is always 20/20, but what could have been...

----Wanyama-Morgan------

That is a cracking team. I think I would stick Le Tissier in however ;)

Lambert in his first 2 prem seasons is better than Pelle for me. Would be deadly with Mane/Long running off him. I think Killer would get the nod at the back over Toby as well. Toby is a great player. But played what, 20odd games for us in the league. Not on the same level as Killer for me.

Seeing as until yesterday we'd pretty much only played 4-2-3-1 for the past 2 years I'm picking the side in the usual formation...

For me:

Stekelenburg

Clyne

Alderweireld

Fonte

Bertrand

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Mane

Rodriguez

Lallana

Pelle

Bench: Forster, Chambers, Lovren, Shaw, Cork, Davis, Lambert

Including 1993-2006:

Same first XI except Bridge for Bertrand and Marsden for Wanyama, Le Tiss for Rodriguez.

Bench: Niemi, Dodd, M Svensson, Wanyama, Beattie, Pahars. - More attackers to reflect the more attacking formations of the last Prem period and I'd drop Bertrand altogether to get Dodd in there and Rodriguez to put in Marians.

Edited by The9

Surprised to see no shouts for Stek, he seems very solid so far and generally excellent distribution, if he keeps this up Forster will have to battle to get his place back (which is as it should be).

Give us a chance! He's better than Forster, don't know why there's even a discussion.

Since 2012

Forster

Clyne

Fonte

Toby

Bertrand

Cork

Schneiderlin

Mane

Lallana

JRod

Lambert

Since 1992

Niemi

Clyne

Killer

Toby

Bridge

Schneiderlin

Oakley

Lallana

Le Tiss

Lambert

Pahars

From 1969 (as far back as I can remember, for comparison)

Shilton

Clyne

Killer

Toby

Bridge

Scheiderlin

Ball

Williams

Le Tiss

Big Ron

Channon

I always liked the Clyne/Puncheon partnership on the right and wish we'd stuck with it for a bit longer.

Lots of waling and gnashing of teeth over the loss of Cork but Puncheon was a loss too. I appreciate that he probably was a pain in the @rse to manage but has settled in well at Palace.

It's a best of the last 3 years, or best of the last 20 odd years. Why on earth would someone pick someone based on 3 matches? 1 clean sheet when no shots were registered on target. I was worried when we signed him, and while none of the 5 goals have been his fault, I think a better keeper might have done better with 2 of them. He doesn't fill me with much confidence anyway.

I've picked him based on him not making a single thing resembling a mistake in all of the competitive and pre-season matches I've seen, compared to keepers who had made mistakes by now.