Sky /BT Sport

Wade Garrett

BT Sport just got the rights for the Ashes in Australia.

I think rather than having BT and Sky, as they are carving everything up between them, I'll just chuck the lot in. I foolishly thought £90 per month would be enough to watch all the sport I wanted.

I'll be happy with the BBC's Match of the Day (still the best football programme out there) for my fix of football. I'll really miss a load of dickhead journos talking bullsh*t around a breakfast table on a Sunday morning.

Joe Public will only be pushed so far with digital TV fees.

Glad you've posted.

Having just brought a property (moved back home to top the deposit) I was due to start shopping around for TV packages, cannot believe the prices for both BT sport and Sky in the same package.

BT Sport just got the rights for the Ashes in Australia.

I think rather than having BT and Sky, as they are carving everything up between them, I'll just chuck the lot in. I foolishly thought £90 per month would be enough to watch all the sport I wanted.

I'll be happy with the BBC's Match of the Day (still the best football programme out there) for my fix of football. I'll really miss a load of dickhead journos talking bullsh*t around a breakfast table on a Sunday morning.

Joe Public will only be pushed so far with digital TV fees.

I am thinking exactly the same. Its not even like you can have both at a reasonable price as it seems you can only get any order of discount via a bundle of internet and tv. Sky are not perfect but at least everything was in one place to access if you wanted to subscribe. Now with European Football, a big chunk of Prem games and now the ashes I am beginning to struggle to justify it.

I just worry (well, it's not really a worry at all) that things might go the same way as ITV/Setanta and the Championship/League footie. I got rid of Sky about 5 years ago and haven't looked back since. I, urrr, sometimes have my father come round who does have Sky, and he bring his device with him to watch Sky Go. 2 free devices can be registered, or pay £5 a month extra, and you get 2 more devices that can be registered. Not the best, but good enough.

As for MotD, while I never watch when we lose, this season, I haven't watched it once. I am just not interested any more.

I do sometimes wonder whether those in charge of either PL, FA, SFC, Sky, BT Sport etc realise what is happening on the ground? The younger supporters can't afford to go to the games. The old ones don't really like being fleeced and find the amount of money, while many can afford this or that, just don't want to. Eventually, and hopefully it will be soon, the whole thing will implode - or maybe that is wishful thinking.

I get BT Sport just for an extra 5 quid p/m as I have their broadband, but will be cancelling sky imminently as there's nothing really premium about it that's worth what they charge.

The only bits I do watch are MNF and Super Sunday, but I'm sure Sportsmania will help me out with those!

Sky were on the brink of losing the La Liga rights to BT as well, but chucked a bit more money at it in the last min. BT have totally changed the landscape.

I'm going to ditch it, saves me 50 pounds a month to go to freeview... It just cannot be justified anymore, plus I can use Dad's log in details to watch anything I want on my iPad/computer anyway!

Edited by Colinjb

I get BT Sport just for an extra 5 quid p/m as I have their broadband, but will be cancelling sky imminently as there's nothing really premium about it that's worth what they charge.

The only bits I do watch are MNF and Super Sunday, but I'm sure Sportsmania will help me out with those!

Sky were on the brink of losing the La Liga rights to BT as well, but chucked a bit more money at it in the last min. BT have totally changed the landscape.

Sky need to up their game. They are hanging on the '23 years' we have given you football blah blah blah (and 25 years for US open tennis)

they are losing more sports coverage without dropping their prices

Sky need to up their game. They are hanging on the '23 years' we have given you football blah blah blah (and 25 years for US open tennis)

they are losing more sports coverage without dropping their prices

There's nothing which pulls me in now, i'm not even specifically referring to Sports - but everything Sky. When my Sky contract is totally up, I will cancel it fully and get a BT TV box. That will give me everything I'd ever need, whilst saving me a fortune in the process!

I remember when I cancelled (when I was moving house so it was easy, although I believe it can be hard to cancel) they asked me why I was cancelling. Told them nothing on Sky 1 was of interest. The films were **** and I kept on falling asleep so missed them. The sport was of no interest as Saints hardly ever featured (and we had just been relegated to boot). I conceded that I would miss cricket and the documentary channels.

But now, now we have this position where the regulators think that they have done a wonderful job with competition. Really who has benefited from Sky & BT both having the footie? Certainly not the subscriber who know has to take out another subscription.

There's nothing which pulls me in now, i'm not even specifically referring to Sports - but everything Sky. When my Sky contract is totally up, I will cancel it fully and get a BT TV box. That will give me everything I'd ever need, whilst saving me a fortune in the process!

Is BT Sport only accessible via an App?

No, BT sport comes with a You View box via broadband. It's half the size of the sky box and can be wirelessly connected around your house with plug in boosters If your router is too far away from the TV to cable it. It's basically then just like any other TV provider, you get a choice of channels, HD package, etc,etc I found the picture quality slightly better than sky as well for some reason. I have since moved my mobile contract to BT and now only pay a fiver a month to which I was paying £21 a month to Vodafone for the same contract beforehand. I don't work for BT either.! I have seen mixed reviews but so far I have no complaints .

I have BT infinity broadband hence I get BTsport included but for some reason the picture quality/signal is pretty cr@p especially on their Europe channel !

Still have the full Sky package but am paying over £70 a month and only ever watch sport so I guess that I'm overpaying big time as I don't even watch movies !

Is there a downgraded package for sports only ??

We have the Virgin big kahona package and we get all of the BT sports channels thrown in as part of the deal, which is great for watching Saints in Europe, just hope Im still watching them after this week.

Like most of you Sky treated us pooly so we switched. We now have the best broadband we have ever had and are happy with the virgin package.

How do people find Virgin compare with cost and quality with sky

I pay a few pennies under £100 for Landline with unlimited anytime phonecalls, 150MB Broadband XL Tv Package (which includes all the BT Sports Channels) and Sky Sports in SD. It would be an extra 7 quid for HD Sports channels.

I've been with Ntl / Virgin for 13 years and the only issues I've ever had are the odd occasion with the overseas call centre... (its best when you can get hold of the Scottish call centre during normal working hours).

another difference to Sky is that Virgin don't charge for repairs.

BT's customer service is beyond pathetic and their TV digi-boxes are utter turd; nowhere near as good as Sky or Tivo. So I would resent ever paying a subscription to BT.

I think for general broadband, landline and TV, Sky is still the best but Sports is overpriced for what would amount to watching the odd midweek game which I can watch in the pub or online if I want to see it badly enough.

Sky **** me off in many ways. I have Sky Go but they won't put an app on Apple TV or most smart TVs as they want you to pay for Now TV instead, usually at a bargain £9.99 a DAY! They've blocked sharing from laptop to Apple TV too. Can just about get round it but really annoying.

BT are just as bad though. I had BT broadband for ages and could never get access to BT sport. Friends have, but the 'free' channels don't seem to include BT Sport Europe, so they're slowly monetising it more. Plus, many people signed up to Sky on the condition that they had all the Premier League games that were going to be broadcast. Now they don't, yet prices remain high.

I recommend, if you haven't got one already, buy a cheap PS3 (or 4 of you want to splash out). That has a Sky Go app, with more or less HD quality picture (Im watching Arse v Pool on it as we speak). For some reason it's poorly advertised and is called something like 'Tv from Sky' rather than Sky Go so it's a bit harder to find.

I've been on the top package with Sky for at least a decade, but it's now getting to the stage where I'm genuinely questioning whether it's worth the hassle any more. I've got a 100MB fibre connection, so streaming isn't a problem, and a Sportsmania subscription costs less than a fiver a month for six months, while Sky charge £75.75 for the "Variety with Sport and Movies" package and BT have whacked their non-BT-TV rate for BT Sport with HD up to £23.99 since the start of this season. £100 a month, and I reckon I watch about 10-12 channels. **** that.

What happens to the PL if Sky go bust?

From 18 months ago: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/56167c4e-cf6e-11e3-9b2b-00144feabdc0.html

A small fall, but it seems that the product they are offering is becoming ever inferior without a drop in prices. I suspect that when a level is reached, that small drop in subscriptions will become a rush. Taking a snap shot of this thread, it seems that already many subscribers are questioning the product and are cancelling or thinking about it. If Sky keep on losing customers then their revenue falls, unless they make cuts to the service and still charge the same or increase their subscription rates. Either way, the subscriber isn't going to be overly pleased with what is going on and I am not sure that Sky can afford to drop prices.

So Sky pay £4.2bn and BT £0.96bn for 3 years running from 2016. They cannot renege on the deal, save for going bust. One might think that they are too big to go under, but they have taken on one hell of a liability which they may well not be able to meet. I imagine that the Middle East could step in, but if it all goes tits up, what happens to PL clubs? They have players on long term contracts, paying ridiculous amounts of money and could find their main income stream suddenly under threat.

I recommend, if you haven't got one already, buy a cheap PS3 (or 4 of you want to splash out). That has a Sky Go app, with more or less HD quality picture (Im watching Arse v Pool on it as we speak). For some reason it's poorly advertised and is called something like 'Tv from Sky' rather than Sky Go so it's a bit harder to find.

Doesn't that require £5 a month for multi-room to enable it?

Been with Virgin for years and have no complaints.

The broadband is fast (100 mb/s) and reliable and, on the few occasions that I've had a problem, it's been quickly resolved. The call centre can be a bit hit and miss depending who you talk to but the guys on the ground are very good.

When they installed my set-top box, he gave me loads of extra cable in case I wanted to move it.

What happens to the PL if Sky go bust?

From 18 months ago: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/56167c4e-cf6e-11e3-9b2b-00144feabdc0.html

A small fall, but it seems that the product they are offering is becoming ever inferior without a drop in prices. I suspect that when a level is reached, that small drop in subscriptions will become a rush. Taking a snap shot of this thread, it seems that already many subscribers are questioning the product and are cancelling or thinking about it. If Sky keep on losing customers then their revenue falls, unless they make cuts to the service and still charge the same or increase their subscription rates. Either way, the subscriber isn't going to be overly pleased with what is going on and I am not sure that Sky can afford to drop prices.

So Sky pay £4.2bn and BT £0.96bn for 3 years running from 2016. They cannot renege on the deal, save for going bust. One might think that they are too big to go under, but they have taken on one hell of a liability which they may well not be able to meet. I imagine that the Middle East could step in, but if it all goes tits up, what happens to PL clubs? They have players on long term contracts, paying ridiculous amounts of money and could find their main income stream suddenly under threat.

Thing is, for every ****ed-off subscriber, they're recruiting more to replace them. According to their latest figures (released last month for the year to the end of June), they added a net 973,000 subscribers, 45% more than the previous year. They still pulled in more than £11bn in revenue and £1.4bn operating profit.

The fact that they've got themselves heavily invested in the "triple play" market (i.e. phone, broadband and TV) before BT decided TV was a good thing to get into means they're still going to be making more than enough money to cover the cost of the new eye-watering Premier League deal.

Blimey - a net 973k subscribers. Where the hell have they been hanging out? Is that mainly residential or business.

£1.4 bn profit - well that's the same yearly amount they will have to pay PL, so doesn't look like they be going bust any time soon as I am sure that they can stand some losses.

Been with Virgin for years and have no complaints.

The broadband is fast (100 mb/s) and reliable and, on the few occasions that I've had a problem, it's been quickly resolved. The call centre can be a bit hit and miss depending who you talk to but the guys on the ground are very good.

When they installed my set-top box, he gave me loads of extra cable in case I wanted to move it.

cheers, reason I asked as we have BT/Sky at home

we are going to be renting this place out and moving and by the looks of it, the place we want to buy is ready for Virgin (unlike the new build we are in now)

was with Virgin when I had my flat years ago but their broadband was always on the very slow side at peak times. Not had much of an issue with BT infinity really

Blimey - a net 973k subscribers. Where the hell have they been hanging out? Is that mainly residential or business.

£1.4 bn profit - well that's the same yearly amount they will have to pay PL, so doesn't look like they be going bust any time soon as I am sure that they can stand some losses.

Sorry to be anal, but the profits will be stated after what they have had to pay to 3rd parties like the PL. So they are very comfortable. Note though that Operating Profit is not the same as Net Profit - there will be further overhead, interest, depreciation and tax costs to come off that £1.4bn figure

Worth noting they don't say how many of those subscribers are on any of the premium packages, and as far as I'm aware they've never released the number of Sky Sports subscribers publicly. Certainly their viewing figures aren't generally anything to write home about - I think their record rated audience for a Premier League game is about 1.1m.

I can't be doing with any of it any more, to the point that I don't bother with terrestrial TV either. Don't have time to watch much, plus it's still perfectly legal to use iPlayer and similar services (for catch-up programmes only, not live broadcasts).

Saves on Sky/Virgin/BT TV fees and the TV licence - we're only paying for broadband and line rental. I'm at 2/3 to 3/4 of all Saints matches anyway and am happy to watch the broadcast games (that I'm not attending) at the pub.

Anyone that pays £75 to a television provider needs their head looked at. Seriously, utterly ludicrous amount of money!

Feel free to come and have a look :)

I was on the full package with Sky up until about June this year - we had TV, Phone and broadband. TV had the full monty - except movies - and we were paying around £75 per month. Sky then screwed up and added a multiroom subscription that I had never asked for and their customer service was really poor so I told them to stick it - it actually isn't difficult to leave them providing you have completed your 'minimum term' contract which is usually 12 months...

I then switched to Plusnet for telephone and broadband, paying for the phone up front for 12 months which works out at about £12.75 per month. I also pay £2.50 per month for unlimited broadband. I bought a Now TV box and used that for about six weeks which is a reasonable alternative to Sky - granted, Sports is uber expensive on that but there are plenty of streaming sites on a laptop for 'must see' games - and you can get the entertainment part in 3 month bundles from amazon that work out way cheaper than buying direct. You can also get the movies a lot cheaper by shopping around, but you only really need that every other month as catching up on the decent new releases doesn't take long!

The biggest issue I have is with the lack of competition! Our house - in Weston Super Mare - was built about 12 years ago in a development of about 1500 houses. For some reason, Virgin decided it wasn't worthwhile laying their cables to the area and Openreach decided that copper wiring was good enough! Living about 2 miles from the exchange, that gives me - and about 700 houses nearby - a MAXIMUM broadband speed of 1.8mb/s, which is shocking! Considering the Now TV box is always on and uses up about 1.4mb of this at all times, it doesn't leave a lot left over for the phones, laptops and iPads in the house!!!

I switched back to Sky in time for the football season to kick off and now have Sky Sports and Movies and the standard entertainment package and pay them £26 per month. When my 12 months is up next summer and they want to increase this to £54 per month, I shall just cancel it all over again, wait a couple of weeks for the 'come back to Sky' begging email offering 50% off and sign up again for another 12 months. Frankly, they can stick the phone and broadband as PlusNet offer exactly the same deal as Sky were giving me and are about £12 per month cheaper!

If Openreach ever upgrade our lines to fibre - the cabinet is still 'under review' as it has been for the past 18 months - then I would chip over to that, which would cost me a few quid more per month, but would ditch Sky completely and move everything to an online option. Sadly, the speed we get is limiting my ability to do this at the moment!

I've had Sky for donkeys years now, always been a TV and Sports enthusiast so had the complete Sky package since about 1998 or so now, never had a problem with it, and you just can't beat live Football, I love MOTD but it does get boring at times, the format is the same year after year, and my enjoyment isn't the same when I know all the scores already. I understand that's just how the show is made but it does bore me to be honest, I only watch it now if Saints have won, and even then, having to sit through the myriad of other games first bores me to tears, nothing can beat live football for me.

Switched to BT Infinity about a month ago and after a rocky start (due to my own stupidity) I now get 25mbps fibre broadband, not as fast as Virgin etc. but compared to the 3.2mbps I was getting for about 15 years it feels lightning-quick, got the BT Sports Pack thrown in as well as I just can't do without Champions League football in the house.

Sorry to be anal, but the profits will be stated after what they have had to pay to 3rd parties like the PL. So they are very comfortable. Note though that Operating Profit is not the same as Net Profit - there will be further overhead, interest, depreciation and tax costs to come off that £1.4bn figure

Yes but the PL deal hasn't kicked in yet - that starts next season - £4.2bn over 3 years, so I would be surprised if they have started paying the increased amount. Certainly they are already paying, so they will still make a profit so long as subscriber numbers stay as they are.

I put a cancellation in to Sky, in the expectation they would offer me a deal and reduce my payment. However they called my bluff and just put me through the process! Of course I can reinstate before the end of the 30 days. Is anyone likely to phone me up and offer a reduced deal? Do I need to hold my nerve, or I will I have to go back with my tail between my legs?! FFS.

I put a cancellation in to Sky, in the expectation they would offer me a deal and reduce my payment. However they called my bluff and just put me through the process! Of course I can reinstate before the end of the 30 days. Is anyone likely to phone me up and offer a reduced deal? Do I need to hold my nerve, or I will I have to go back with my tail between my legs?! FFS.

my mate did what you are doing with the full intention of pushing for an offer. As he got closer to the end date, nothing happened so he was happy to end it and go with someone else

about 3 days before his end day, they called and offered him a load of discount to sign up for another 12 months....which he did

risky move though if you dont want to leave

I've had Sky for donkeys years now, always been a TV and Sports enthusiast so had the complete Sky package since about 1998 or so now, never had a problem with it, and you just can't beat live Football, I love MOTD but it does get boring at times, the format is the same year after year, and my enjoyment isn't the same when I know all the scores already. I understand that's just how the show is made but it does bore me to be honest, I only watch it now if Saints have won, and even then, having to sit through the myriad of other games first bores me to tears, nothing can beat live football for me.

Switched to BT Infinity about a month ago and after a rocky start (due to my own stupidity) I now get 25mbps fibre broadband, not as fast as Virgin etc. but compared to the 3.2mbps I was getting for about 15 years it feels lightning-quick, got the BT Sports Pack thrown in as well as I just can't do without Champions League football in the house.

Each to their own but the idea of sitting inside all day on Sunday watching 2 or three matches gives me chills - boring! I love going to matches, but it's only the biggest games that get me excited enough to watch them on the box.

my mate did what you are doing with the full intention of pushing for an offer. As he got closer to the end date, nothing happened so he was happy to end it and go with someone else

about 3 days before his end day, they called and offered him a load of discount to sign up for another 12 months....which he did

risky move though if you dont want to leave

Is it risky? Surely once you've quit you can stay away for a couple of months and come back as a 'new' customer and benefit from their new customer deals, which are always better than they are able to offer current customers

Thing is, for every ****ed-off subscriber, they're recruiting more to replace them. According to their latest figures (released last month for the year to the end of June), they added a net 973,000 subscribers, 45% more than the previous year. They still pulled in more than £11bn in revenue and £1.4bn operating profit.

The fact that they've got themselves heavily invested in the "triple play" market (i.e. phone, broadband and TV) before BT decided TV was a good thing to get into means they're still going to be making more than enough money to cover the cost of the new eye-watering Premier League deal.

The cost of paying over the odds for the PL contract is hurting them.

They are looking at any means of cutting costs, which includes scrapping a lot of their magazine-style programmes, such as Tight Lines (fishing), Boots n' All (rugby) and others, which.

I've got a few mates who are broadcast freelances and have been told their services are no longer required. Some of them have worked for Sky for 10 years or more and although they are freelance have, until now, been guaranteed work.

They effect of the eye-watering contract may even be creeping into other parts of the NewsCorp empire as The Sun and The Times have also slashed their freelance budgets.

Now it may be this is all coincidental and Newscorp is carrying out efficiency measures. But all these cuts coming in the wake of paying so much for the PL contract, does make you wonder.

Newscorp does still make healthy profits, but somewhere within the organisation, there is concern about their bottom line.

Is it risky? Surely once you've quit you can stay away for a couple of months and come back as a 'new' customer and benefit from their new customer deals, which are always better than they are able to offer current customers

true, but you will be 'without' for a short period...if that suits, its ok i guess

true, but you will be 'without' for a short period...if that suits, its ok i guess

Yeah i guess what period they deem acceptable to be away for, to be considered a new customer, is the key.

I've got sky broadband + sky sports, no way I'm paying the extra for BT sport. Have unfortunately been a BT customer several times, always seems decent at the start but they are guaranteed to f*ck you off within a few months. God forbid you actually need to speak to someone in customer services! They even gave my phone line to someone else once, cut me off without warning and left me without phone + broadband for 3 months, only got resolved when is started emailing the CEO's office. :mcinnes:

There's always sports mania and other sources for the period you're without :)

Stick with it!

You will have to go through the whole process and have your Sky disconnected but log on to your 'my sky' about 2 weeks after the cancellation and you will have plenty of 'come back to sky' options available - providing no-one calls you before hand.... If you call up and say you have changed your mind before the end of the 30 days you will not get any offers at all and will be subject to a new 12 month contract at your existing rate.

For the record, unless you have not had any sky products for a minimum of 12 months, then they will still class you as an 'existing' customer. Seems crazy, but apparently sky can and do, put whatever arbitrary time limit on it that they want!!

• 3 weeks later...

An update on this. I've just had an email offering me 50% off for a year, plus a £50 credit. In between I also filled out a questionnaire as to why I was leaving, intimating it was the price and I could be swayed back. Lesson here is hold your nerve!

An update on this. I've just had an email offering me 50% off for a year, plus a £50 credit. In between I also filled out a questionnaire as to why I was leaving, intimating it was the price and I could be swayed back. Lesson here is hold your nerve!

Similarly, had a call trying to keep me offering the package I had for £72 a month previously for £52. Still told them where to go though.

Bit biased here, we pay staff rates for the XL package so it's about £13 a month for TV, Broadband and a load of cable channels. That comes with all ESPN and BT Sport channels.

On top of that we're getting Sky Sports through VirginMedia which is something like £37 which is ridiculous but I can't be bothered faffing about to get live football online any more and there are various other programmes series linked which I don't fancy having to hunt down myself.

Edited by The9

another quick one

do sky and BT charge you if you move and want your services at your new place (where the current owners have sky tv and BT broadband)?

Dunno about them any more (have had all of them but never actually cancelled them). I do know VirginMedia charged for cancelling back in 2012. We moved into a place which already had VirginMedia, I even told them it would stop me re-subscribing later but they still charged for it.

And then due to the discount they were still by far the cheapest so ended up signing up with them again.