the definitive Romeu thread

eddie

I thought he did ok today. He did the job he was asked to do. Looked to move the ball forward and protected it well and he was always available to receive a pass. Some of his passing was poor but you could aim that criticism at most of the team today. He does dive in at times when he'd be better of just standing the player up but in general I rate him.

• 2 weeks later...
He is decent. A better lee catermole IMO.

Wanyama or Morgan he certainly ain't

He's a little bit like Jack Cork in the sense that I like him, and he would look good alongside Vic or Morgan... But as a lone defensive midfielder?

I'm not 100% sold on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought he looked a bit more aware on Sunday after being caught a few times on Thursday night. Always remember watching the build up to one of those Celebrity v old pros games when they were a novelty, Graham Taylor was the celebs manager and he was explaining that a good pro will take a mental photo as to who is where, especially behind him, just before he receives the ball, on Sunday you could visibly see that he had a new film in his camera.

I also think he is benefiting from getting more game time compared to last year when he was in out of the team pretty much covering Victors misdemeanors.

Have to say he's been very good so far this season imo, my biggest worry is who will play that role if he picks up a big injury or suspension. Not sure Clasie is up to it physically, think he's fine for one of the 2 either side but the holding mid needs to be strong like Oriol/Vic

Have to say he's been very good so far this season imo, my biggest worry is who will play that role if he picks up a big injury or suspension. Not sure Clasie is up to it physically, think he's fine for one of the 2 either side but the holding mid needs to be strong like Oriol/Vic

Harrison Reed ? or maybe Jack Stephens .... wasn't he playing more at DM than CB whilst on loan to Swindon ?

I think that Hojbjerg would do a decent job there covering in Romeu's absence, if necessary.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's been playing almost every game. Is he some kind of superhuman that doesn't need any rest?

People are talking about lack of depth in attack but I would say DM is a far bigger concern. Who would take Romeus place íf he needs a rest/injured?

Morgan back in January would be fantastic..

He's been playing almost every game. Is he some kind of superhuman that doesn't need any rest?

People are talking about lack of depth in attack but I would say DM is a far bigger concern. Who would take Romeus place íf he needs a rest/injured?

Morgan back in January would be fantastic..

Well for the moment at least Romeu gets a rest on the international breaks. In the league cup Reed has played in Romeu's position but he is now out injured so I think we certainly need another good option in the holding midfield role in Jan.

Romeu wasn't quite at his best last night I thought. Probably needs a bit of a rest now, I'd say. Might have to wriggle through a game with Clasie

Alot of that was down to the tactics Inter employed, they sat Banega on him and closed the channels - so his impact was nulified a lot. He still did a lot of good things though

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/nov/14/premier-league-players-most-improved-pickford-pedro-chelsea

"Oriol Romeu (Southampton)

Last season he was a fringe player at Southampton, now he is the linchpin of the team, the player who, according to Claude Puel, “gives us our structure”. Puel has rotated his players throughout the season as Southampton combine domestic and European duties but Romeu has started all but one of the team’s Premier League and Europa League matches. And he has been excellent in them all. His intelligence and dynamism have enabled him to make the highest number of interceptions in the top flight, his passing is crucial to Southampton’s fluency and his will to win is inspirational, his rousing triple-block against Leicester City being one of the highlights of the season so far. Victor Wanyama, sold in the summer to Tottenham, has not been missed at St Mary’s."

All logic says you are right so the fact that it hasn't happened probably has more to do with the takeover rumours rather than any lack of willingness on our part or his. Perhaps now there is a freeze on all forms of future recruitment until ownership is sorted out. The new owners may not appreciate having all present players tied in for 5 years especially if the have big plans and big ambitions for the club. Massively expensive to move them on to make way for their recruits.

The new owners may not appreciate having all present players tied in for 5 years especially if the have big plans and big ambitions for the club. Massively expensive to move them on to make way for their recruits.

Or a massive loss if we loose a great player for free..

All logic says you are right so the fact that it hasn't happened probably has more to do with the takeover rumours rather than any lack of willingness on our part or his. Perhaps now there is a freeze on all forms of future recruitment until ownership is sorted out. The new owners may not appreciate having all present players tied in for 5 years especially if the have big plans and big ambitions for the club. Massively expensive to move them on to make way for their recruits.

Even if we were looking to sign someone better, there will be plenty of people willing to pay a lot of money for a player of his quality. Whichever way you look at it, getting him on a new contract can only be beneficial.

How has he not signed a new contract yet. Give him a 5 year one I say.

He still has over a year and a half left. It's usually 18 months before when we start looking to tie players down, is it not? I'd hope the club look to tie him down by February.

He still has over a year and a half left. It's usually 18 months before when we start looking to tie players down, is it not? I'd hope the club look to tie him down by February.

I'd say 18 months is much to late to ask him to sign a new deal. Come February he will only have 15 months left before the end of next season, he will never sign a new deal in the summer. We've already cocked up again on this one.

I'd say 18 months is much to late to ask him to sign a new deal. Come February he will only have 15 months left before the end of next season, he will never sign a new deal in the summer. We've already cocked up again on this one.

You're assuming he wants to leave.

Having read a few interviews he has done he seems genuinely happy at saints. Romeu has done the big club thing and it didn't work out that well for him. I'd be mad to say that no player wouldn't leave saints for a big club....but if I was to bet on a player who might do that it would most likely be Romeu.

Why won't he sign a new one in the summer? That's when the vast majority of our contract extensions are announced.