the definitive Romeu thread

eddie

Realised there wasn't one other than the original 'he's signed' thread.

Thoughts on him? Two games in, I just watched highlights from Mitjilland game, also watched the full watford game on TV, thought he looked very good.

Plus points:

- He does break up play a lot, which is often underestimated. Especially watford, I noticed that even if he didn't manage to control the ball cleanly and pass to a saints player, he still broke up their original plan / original pass.

- gets stuck into a tackle and isn't afraid to put in a two footed challenge

- he covered in watford game for targett in left corner quite a bit, I noticed. Random point, but at least I like how he is getting involved across the width of the pitch. I believe he played to the right of wanyama in that game also, which makes it all the more interesting he ran out to the left to help out

- in Mitjlland game, took a couple of long shots. obviously highlights may be bias, but from what I saw they weren't half bad chances either. Both on target or very close, lots of power. Nice to have an option in midfield for pelle/someone else to chest back to, or at least someone on edge of box, who isn't afraid to have a go

I feel he's hungry to play, young and can improve a lot. Only two games, granted, which is the same amount of games we've been slating other players. But, promising nonetheless.

What do you guys think? Did anyone remember seeing him at chelsea?

Decent, solid, not the quickest but not slow, doesn't intercept or press that much at the moment but that will come with time to be coached into our system.

Very solid and accurate passer when it is more than 3 yards, a bit leg wavy when team-mates are around which will resolve with improving understanding. A couple of over-exuberant reducers that probably will get him into trouble over time.

Responsible for much of our defensive improvement since half time in the Everton match (along with more defensive formations). Looks like a good signing.

I like what I have seen of him and am surprised that some think that he is rubbish. Was away for Everton, and didn't bother watching highlights, so cannot say for that game.

Was very good when he came on, appeared to make a huge difference to the 2nd half performance, even though he was unfamiliar with the team, not sure why he did not start, the Koeman brothers clearly knew what they needed to do during the first half and made the change at half time. Does all of the defensive stuff very well, breaks up play and is comfortable on the ball. Gets booked, but so far having seen all three, they were all harsh, even the Watford one where he clearly played the ball. Good signing on the evidence so far, will probably never be as good as Morgan, but plays a very similar style and will be a worthy replacement given how much he has cost in comparison. He should do something about his hair, he looks like a thug and gets treated as one as a result.

Not convinced by him as a regular. As a cheap and cheerful 5m squad buy he's ok.

Tendency for horrible challenges. Could easily have been sent off in every game he has played for us.

Hope when Clasie is fit he'll drop down to the bench as cover for Wanyama, which would give us a much better balance in centre mid.

I think he's improving and with his passing particularly. He's what we used to call an enforcer and as such, sails close to the wind when it comes to the odd crunching challenge...I like that - let's other players know he's in the game. I reckon he could be a great bargain buy and a bit of a hero in the future. But only if the Northam come up with a convincing song for him...only then will he get full recognition.

Looks a really good player and importantly similar to Schneiderlin in style. Slightly less mobile, and needs to curb some of the horror tackles, but good distribution and was organising players around him from the first minute. Also looks good for a goal or two if shots against Mitjilland anything to go by. Far better suited to that role than Clasie - who (hopefully) was signed to be more of a playmaker anyway.

Has looked good to me. Likes to get involved in tackles (although sometimes quite rash), is a decent passer, and also isnt afraid to push up and has played a few nice balls into the box and had a few shots which were better than the usual rubbish we've had to put up with from midfield.

5mil looks a great deal to me, although he'll be banned by the end of September!

We needed someone like him, our midfield as it stood was far too lightweight and likely to get bullied, he's big enough and brave with a clear nasty streak. Different player to Spiderman though - Morgan dictated the pace of play for us and helped us break quickly via interceptions - that is what we are truly missing at the moment - we have plenty of people who can slow it down and break up play (Romeu, Wanyama, Reed etc) but none who can play accurate forward passes (which I guess is what Claise has been brought in for - let's hope he works out). Overall though good signing who complements our weaknesses well. Incidentally do we think that Liverpool and Man Utd sudden defensive improvement is helped by Clyne/Spiderman or just coincidence - zero goals conceded for either.

We needed someone like him, our midfield as it stood was far too lightweight and likely to get bullied, he's big enough and brave with a clear nasty streak. Different player to Spiderman though - Morgan dictated the pace of play for us and helped us break quickly via interceptions - that is what we are truly missing at the moment - we have plenty of people who can slow it down and break up play (Romeu, Wanyama, Reed etc) but none who can play accurate forward passes (which I guess is what Claise has been brought in for - let's hope he works out). Overall though good signing who complements our weaknesses well. Incidentally do we think that Liverpool and Man Utd sudden defensive improvement is helped by Clyne/Spiderman or just coincidence - zero goals conceded for either.

Really good post

Man U's is down to Schneiderlin in part, Liverpool's is down to Steven Gerrard.

I like what I've seen so far. Maybe needs to chill out or he'll accumulate cards rapid-time, but he's useful - especially at £5m.

Strong, good positional discipline, good range of passing, bit of a unit who puts himself in for everything. Looks to help his teammates. Happy to 'hold the fort' but can get forward from time to time.

Looking forward to seeing him and Wanyama joined in midfield by Clasie.

I like him, he seems technically very assured - as you'd expect from a spanish player from Barca. His range of passing is very impressive too, he has a bit of class with the way he receives and then moves the ball around. He seems to provide good cover, knows when to hold or push forward. If there was one thing I'd say is that he can be a little reckless, as some have mentioned. (but this is seemingly coming later in games, when he may be a little more tired).

He's started very tidily for us and can only get better. Good stuff.

Not convinced by him as a regular. As a cheap and cheerful 5m squad buy he's ok.

Tendency for horrible challenges. Could easily have been sent off in every game he has played for us.

Hope when Clasie is fit he'll drop down to the bench as cover for Wanyama, which would give us a much better balance in centre mid.

:mcinnes:

I fear you'll never be satisfied with a midfield signing we make, unless we bring Jack Cork back

on the extremely limited evidence so far, he isn't very mobile and under hits too many passes which causes play to be slowed down. As a holding midfielder, those two facets of the game seem pretty important to me. I've been spoiled by Morgan though, so perhaps he's better than I think.

on the extremely limited evidence so far, he isn't very mobile and under hits too many passes which causes play to be slowed down. As a holding midfielder, those two facets of the game seem pretty important to me. I've been spoiled by Morgan though, so perhaps he's better than I think.

He is. I agree with much of what you post but not this.

A player that has been at Barca, Chelsea, Valencia and Stuttgart instead of one from our academy?

Then I look forward to seeing him showing it. But it's never really been our way to sign players instead of giving Academy kids a chance if that kid is worthy of a chance. Les Reed said Harry Reed was the best player we've produced for a long time (which I doubt personally) however regardless Romeu is tasked with the same role that Reed would fulfil if he played so as I said, I think Romeu is a decent player but I have yet to see whether or not he is better than Reed. Far too early to make judgements of course, so time will tell. The low fee and just a three year deal for Romeu doesn't seem worthy of player with his CV so perhaps the club have some doubts too. Who knows.

Then I look forward to seeing him showing it. But it's never really been our way to sign players instead of giving Academy kids a chance if that kid is worthy of a chance. Les Reed said Harry Reed was the best player we've produced for a long time (which I doubt personally) however regardless Romeu is tasked with the same role that Reed would fulfil if he played so as I said' date=' I think Romeu is a decent player but I have yet to see whether or not he is better than Reed. Far too early to make judgements of course, so time will tell. The low fee and just a three year deal for Romeu doesn't seem worthy of player with his CV so perhaps the club have some doubts too. Who knows.[/quote']

Presumably the club hedging their bets over his long term fitness and Romeu hedging his bets about the potential of an early move to a big European club if he puts in a stellar season or two. Whenever I've seen Reed play I've been impressed with his energy and tenacity, but he doesn't strike me as particularly technically adept. Romeu on the other hand moves the ball quickly and accurately, and has the confidence and awareness you'd expect of a player who has already played for a couple of the biggest clubs in the world. Not saying Reed wont get there one day, but right now he's a bit of a head-down terrier, so Romeu is a far better fit for the possession football we want to play.

Then I look forward to seeing him showing it. But it's never really been our way to sign players instead of giving Academy kids a chance if that kid is worthy of a chance. Les Reed said Harry Reed was the best player we've produced for a long time (which I doubt personally) however regardless Romeu is tasked with the same role that Reed would fulfil if he played so as I said' date=' I think Romeu is a decent player but I have yet to see whether or not he is better than Reed. Far too early to make judgements of course, so time will tell. The low fee and just a three year deal for Romeu doesn't seem worthy of player with his CV so perhaps the club have some doubts too. Who knows.[/quote']

Good post and I agree to some extent - not sure what Reed has done wrong - apart from being as small as Clasie who takes up the position of small man in midfield :-)

Reed is however also prone to rashness as some gamed in u21 show - at least Ron watches them unlike some of our past managers!

I like Reed and think he has a lot to offer but not sure Ron feels the same at the moment.

It sadly is that - he's too physically lightweight. The Premiership is the most physically robust league in the world, especially for Defmids - Wenger's teams were invincible when they had Petit and Viera bullying people in midfield - since he has gone for a purist football vision they have completely failed (by their standards) and lost points to inferior bully boys like Stoke. Chelsea have always had big nasty bullies, as did Man City when they won it and every year that role (defmid) becomes even more important in the premiership. Yes you get the likes of Cattermole knocking about - but then again they play for struggling sides, look at the confusion over Wiltshire and where to play him, and to a certain extent JWP - Ron is spot on in his limited use of Reed.

Our best signing. A lot of his carded tackles were perfectly good challenges where he won the ball.

yup i thought all his tackles were good especially against Watford but soon as a player over-reacts and rolls it seems to sway the ref in dishing out a card.

I like him' date=' I just need to see in time why he is worthy of being purchased ahead of giving Harry Reed a chance.[/quote']

There's a massive difference between Romeu and Reed. Verlaine's post covers it well but in a nutshell, Romeu can pass the ball.