the definitive Romeu thread

eddie

Why won't he sign a new one in the summer? That's when the vast majority of our contract extensions are announced.

Lets hope he does. Although next summer he will be entering the slightly dicey 'Clyne/Wanyama' final year territory.

A 3 year contract seemed unusual when we signed him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great start to the season, but has definitely made a lot more errors in the last 10 games or so, at least 3 leading to goals. Palace from the corner, Spurs home, arguably the Beer Sheva fiasco, Norwich come to mind. Especially has an issue of not tracking runners in behind him, which is very key in his position (Watford at home and Palace away last year), or tracking runners from set plays.

Is lack of real competition an issue? If we play with one sitting midfielder they need a physical presence and he is the only player we have in midfield who is vaguely strong and has become indispenable because of that and the strong early performances this season.

He has generally done well but sometimes because he puts big crowd-pleasing tackles in fans probably don't pick up on the weaker parts of his game.

Would definitely hope we are looking to bring in another midfielder with a physical presence and ball winning capabilities in the summer to challenge him.

I think he's suffering from a dip in form that is across the team. I keep banging on about it, but at the start of the season we were playing fast, one touch passing football through the middle of the pitch and he was a big part of it, getting forward quite regularly. We haven't really seen that since Leicester away, even good performances away to Arsenal and Bournemouth saw us playing a different style. Not really sure what's changed or why.

As for the big crowd-pleasing tackles/weaker parts of game etc, I think that's nonsense. Diving in for those tackles WAS the weakest part of his game, and he rarely does it anymore. What he does fantastically is intercepts the ball and keeps the ball under pressure.

Cracking start to the season but has looked quite average last 8-10 games. Can't remember his last stand out game (Liverpool home maybe)

Possibly difficult playing with different CMs every game. The spider/Vic partnership was great once it haf matured and they knew each others games

Lack of competition is hopefully going to become less of a problem as Reed develops. He's been good when he's played.

Apart from Bournemouth. He was fantastic in that game against Everton when Koeman was in charge... That was ages ago though. I still say he should have gone out on loan for experience.

maybe he does not want to sign?

This is the fear, I really hope we see him put pen to paper and a decent length extension soon, he has been very important for us this season and would be expensive and difficult to replace sadly as we've found out in recent years we can't force people to sign new deals.

This is the fear, I really hope we see him put pen to paper and a decent length extension soon, he has been very important for us this season and would be expensive and difficult to replace sadly as we've found out in recent years we can't force people to sign new deals.

It is very much the fear.

His original 3 year deal deal was slightly unusual too. We normally do 4 year contracts.

• 3 months later...
Are we going to have anyone in our first XI next season?

I think we just go for it - sell 16 and buy 16. Proper revolution.

A bit like that episode of Emmerdale when they crashed a plane into the village and killed everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look on official Premier League website at some stats now the season is done.

TACKLES:

1. Gueye (135)

2. Kante (127)

3. Romeu (117)

INTERCEPTIONS:

1. Davies (92)

2. Koscielny (90)

3. Romeu (89)

Also: He is 10th for Total Number of passes.

What an absolute beast he's been.

:adore:

Edited by SuperSAINT

• 1 month later...