Pompey Myths

spyinthesky

Not for the first time I had to explain to a fan of another club that the term 'Scummer' was made up by Pompey fans in the 70's and has no relevance at all to a mythical strike breaking Southampton Company of Union Men.

In fact it was Portsmouth Dockers who 'black legged' in the mid 1970's.

It made me think of other 'myths' that some Pompey fans have made up without any facts to back them up.

A few come to mind.

Feel free to add any others.

1. The Liebherr family were war criminals

2. The so called 'Fans Charity' game was cancelled due to lack of interest.

3. Alan Ball 'loved' Pompey more than us

4. Saints don't have 'proper' supporters like John PFC Westwood!!

5. Saints fans never tried to assist financially during the John Deacon era when Pompey was going through one of its regular

financial meltdowns

6. Pompey have won more competitive derby games against us.

7. Their average home crowds have consistently been greater than ours.

8. We used to average less than 10,000 at the Dell.

9. Historically Pompey have finished ahead of Saints in the League a greater number of times.

10. Pompey has more 'potential'!!!

5. Since both clubs entered Pompey have finished above Saints more times than

I have been supporting Saints since the mid 19 50's. We quite often used to go to FP to watch Pompey when Saints were away. It was quite normal. First I knew about the "Scummers" thing was in the late 70's when a Portsmouth folk singer called Shep Wooley brought a song out about it. I seem to remember it making news at the time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have been supporting Saints since the mid 19 50's. We quite often used to go to FP to watch Pompey when Saints were away. It was quite normal. First I knew about the "Scummers" thing was in the late 70's when a Portsmouth folk singer called Shep Wooley brought a song out about it. I seem to remember it making news at the time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

he is a Brummie but a Naval lad based in Pompey. Quite well known (back in the day)

Edited by Batman

Fratton Park is the best super mega stadium

Not quite a myth, but that reminded me of this which is still hilarious. From The Portsmouth News in 2007:

HARRY REDKNAPP believes Pompey's stunning new stadium plans can help turn the club into a European force.

Pompey's boss feels the 36,000-capacity ground can cement the club's place among the top 10 sides in the Premiership.

Part of a 600m project with waterfront apartments, Pompey hope to be playing in the new stadium by August 2011.

He said: 'It's an exciting time to be a Pompey fan. I've seen the plans and they're fantastic.

'It's a unique stadium. I've never seen anything like it. I can assure the fans that they will absolutely love it.

'The club is moving in the right direction on all fronts, with the plans for the new stadium and training ground.

'The future of this football club looks great.'

:lol: