Supporter experience at Southampton

sydneysaint17

I am currently preparing for my dissertation which will focus on supporter engagement in sports organisations and after looking at data across 50 English sports clubs, Southampton was one of three that stood out as a really interesting case study (being a lifelong fan had nothing to do with it…).

Despite all the media attention we receive, our strong performances over the last couple of seasons, our (relatively) small stadium, competitive ticket prices, great facilities etc. our attendance has been comparatively low to other Premier League clubs. Last season we were 15th in the league for attendance by % and I am hoping to explore the reasons why this might be. I am also going to consider how engaged fans are with the clubs customer communications, for example the “We March On” message. It would bring the project to life if I was able to include some insights from fans and so I would be really grateful if you had a spare 5 minutes to complete my survey. Link below – thanks so much in advance!

https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/q4CNpU

Not badly written, that. Far pithier than the club's own survey. Perhaps they'd be interested to see the results too?

One thing to bear in mind with using percentage of capacity is that we'll never be at 100% due to the way segregation is handled. It may be different at some other grounds.

Thanks for all the responses – I have had over 80 so far which is far more than I expected!! Once I have analysed the data, I will make sure I post the key themes and any conclusions that I have been able to make. Will also think about how I can frame the information in a way that might be useful for the club!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE. Thanks again to everyone who responded to the survey – there has been some really interesting patterns in the data. Some themes that run throughout include queues, quality of half time entertainment and the quality/price/selection of food at half time.

I’m hoping to develop this research and see how Southampton compares to other clubs both within football and also across other sports. To do this, I will quantify the key trends and to support my arguments with statistics, for example, “Southampton loses £X per season in food/drink sales due to long queues for the bar”.

I have developed a second version of the survey and I would be really grateful if people were as helpful as last time in filling this out (150 responses in 2 days?!). This one should be much quicker to complete as it’s just a few yes/no and multiple choice questions. Once I have collected and analysed the responses I will post a detailed output to get people’s thoughts.

SURVEY LINK; https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/b1CNCt

Cheers!

I haven't completed your survey as I don't believe surveys give an accurate assessment as to the true match day experience for the average fan. So here's my view.

Certainly the club has worked hard to improve the match day experience and the improvement in the PA system as well as the introduction of new screens behind each goal was a real step in the right direction. I feel that the half time entertainment at St Mary's is innovative with attention drawn to this from our dancing dog and the plaudits this recieved in the national media a couple of seasons ago testimony to the hard work that goes on behind the scenes by the chairman to provide an all encompassing fan friendly environment.

However I feel that there is a lack of variation in the selection of match day music, usually limited to well known rock bands and would emplore the club to include reggae, r&b, rap, bangra beat and techno to encourage the Eastern european and other ethic minorities which have made this fine city of ours their home to suppport their adopted home towns soccerball club.

A real issue though are the queues for the kiosks and toilets at half time are a real bug bear of many match goers and the club seems to show little willingness to resolve them. It's a shame that so many people miss so much of their game as they need to eat, drink and have a slash every 45 minutes. That said though with thee we improving quality and selection of food stuffs now available inside the ground the match day experience has never been better IMO.

I haven't completed your survey as I don't believe surveys give an accurate assessment as to the true match day experience for the average fan. So here's my view.

Certainly the club has worked hard to improve the match day experience and the improvement in the PA system as well as the introduction of new screens behind each goal was a real step in the right direction. I feel that the half time entertainment at St Mary's is innovative with attention drawn to this from our dancing dog and the plaudits this recieved in the national media a couple of seasons ago testimony to the hard work that goes on behind the scenes by the chairman to provide an all encompassing fan friendly environment.

However I feel that there is a lack of variation in the selection of match day music, usually limited to well known rock bands and would emplore the club to include reggae, r&b, rap, bangra beat and techno to encourage the Eastern european and other ethic minorities which have made this fine city of ours their home to suppport their adopted home towns soccerball club.

A real issue though are the queues for the kiosks and toilets at half time are a real bug bear of many match goers and the club seems to show little willingness to resolve them. It's a shame that so many people miss so much of their game as they need to eat, drink and have a slash every 45 minutes. That said though with thee we improving quality and selection of food stuffs now available inside the ground the match day experience has never been better IMO.

I know you are 'trying' to be funny, but it ain't working mate, just like your Chelsea post, #tiresome

UPDATE. Thanks again to everyone who responded to the survey – there has been some really interesting patterns in the data. Some themes that run throughout include queues, quality of half time entertainment and the quality/price/selection of food at half time.

I’m hoping to develop this research and see how Southampton compares to other clubs both within football and also across other sports. To do this, I will quantify the key trends and to support my arguments with statistics, for example, “Southampton loses £X per season in food/drink sales due to long queues for the bar”.

I have developed a second version of the survey and I would be really grateful if people were as helpful as last time in filling this out (150 responses in 2 days?!). This one should be much quicker to complete as it’s just a few yes/no and multiple choice questions. Once I have collected and analysed the responses I will post a detailed output to get people’s thoughts.

SURVEY LINK; https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/b1CNCt

Cheers!

Thanks to those that have completed the second survey so far - already seeing some interesting themes in the responses!

That's a random bunch o'questions, especially that volume monitor one! Done.

Thanks! Questions were off the back of the previous survey - tried to draw out themes that are unique to Saints rather than basing my research around "if the prices of football tickets were cheaper, more people would go to games.."

The volume monitor question was just a random idea that I had during the West Brom away game when the advertising board kept the putting up the message "Southampton are now without a win in 12 EPL away games". What do other people think about this? Would it be tacky or would it gamify stadium atmosphere and galvanise fans into getting behind the team?

Final plug I promise! For those who haven't seen, I have put together a 2nd survey to follow up on the key themes from last time. So far I've had slightly fewer responses than I was hoping for, so would really appreciate it if as many people could fill it out as possible - great way to spend 2 minutes if you're bored at work this morning!

Heres the link; https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/b1CNCt

Thanks! Questions were off the back of the previous survey - tried to draw out themes that are unique to Saints rather than basing my research around "if the prices of football tickets were cheaper, more people would go to games.."

The volume monitor question was just a random idea that I had during the West Brom away game when the advertising board kept the putting up the message "Southampton are now without a win in 12 EPL away games". What do other people think about this? Would it be tacky or would it gamify stadium atmosphere and galvanise fans into getting behind the team?

Yeah, I read the rest of the thread after completing the survey, when it became evident.

Weirdly despite the fact that I was in the front row of the away end and the ad board was therefore about half my view of the game, I didn't notice this - presumably because the ads in front of us were back to back with the ads aimed at the tv audience and contrained the kind of "Sandwell and Smethwick Sandwiches" local ads aimed at people actually in the ground.

Final plug I promise! For those who haven't seen, I have put together a 2nd survey to follow up on the key themes from last time. So far I've had slightly fewer responses than I was hoping for, so would really appreciate it if as many people could fill it out as possible - great way to spend 2 minutes if you're bored at work this morning!

Heres the link; https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/b1CNCt

Currently on 97 responses... 3 more to go!