Prauge

martin2191

One of my favourite cities, been a couple of times Spring time not Winter mind but it's a really nice place. Czech beer is great, and cheap out there. Some great little bars to be found, including one where the beer is about 80p a pint and gets delivered to your table by a train on a model railway.

Use public transport since it's cheap and easy to use. First time we went we got a taxi from the airport and it cost an arm and a leg relative to everything else. You can buy a 24hr transport ticket from a machine at the airport (or a tube station) for about the equivalent of £3 that can be used on the buses/trams/metro. Second trip we got a bus from the airport to the nearest metro then navigated from there. The metro system is quite small so easy to get around and it's all self-explanatory if you know what stop you need.

Plenty to see in and around the Old Town and elsewhere like the castle on top of the hill, plus Prague has Central Europe's biggest nightclub if you're into that. Great city just to mooch about and explore and stop for a beer or two every now and again.

Love the place, have a good trip.

thanks for the info.

particularly like the sound of cheap beer! was trying to find someplace similar to Amsterdam as in lots to see and do and plenty of places to drink

Yeah when I was out there it was about 33 koruna to the pound. A standard 0.5L beer in most places was about 35 koruna. Think at the moment it's about 37 koruna to a pound.

I've only been to Amsterdam city centre when I was six years old, so not old enough to 'appreciate' it as one might, so I can't really compare!

I prefer Krakow to Prague, for me its a slightely less tourist prague, still very much as pretty, cheaper, the people are friendly and enough to do and keep you entertained. Easily the same level of history aswell.

If it is prague though December will be cold, bring your thermals, worth it though as the snow brings out its appeal and you should have the crimbo market. Get off the beaten track for cheap beer and decent food, I managed to haggle some free drinks in a restaurant that wanted our custom. Must try a Goulash in one of their sourdough buns too.

Theres a tower you can go up and look over the city, perfect if you have a missus, give it a miss if not !

Also theres a beer museum somewhere which was ace.