Fonte

Edmonton Saint

Another less than stellar performance from our captain tonight, and he was far too soft for their goal. Have we been wrong for the last couple of seasons and it's actually been Lovren and Alderwiereld making Fonte look good and not the other way around? Didn't see any leadership out there tonight and the insipid way we wen't down without a fight tonight, makes me wonder whether we should be looking to sign a defensive lynch-pin who can lead, and more importantly defend.. I am a worried man tonight, this side lacks fight and quality.

I'm really worried about him this season so far. He looks very uneasy, making rash decisions, his touch is off, his positioning has been all over the show, he keeps losing his man. I'm not sure what's wrong with him, he's clearly better than this...so somethings up with the guy. The entire team is seemingly mirroring his form right now.

Nothing to do with that poor sod... one moment he's got competent footballers beside him, the next moment he's got Martina, Yoshida, Caulker and Targett all brainfarting alongside him. Poor fecker is overworked thinking for them four, let alone covering them physically as well.

Why? it's a valid point

Is it though? Our back 4 has changed completely, there is no evidence his former partners are doing any better without him, our signings have been poor (our defenders, Bertrand aside, even more so) and even though he hasn't been amazing he had a good game at Watford.

There are so many more players in that starting 11 that are a concern, that I think Fonte is at the bottom of most people's list. In fact I worry much more about our manager than him.

For some reason however, he is just one of those players who doesn't become a complete myth in the eyes of this forum like Hooiveld, Tadic, Ramirez or Cork.

He is playing 4 positions at the moment mind covering everyone's arses

This. Countless times he was dragged left and right (from the middle CB position) because those around him couldn't deal with things. Fonte is probably under more pressure with this defence than he's ever been, hence why he's probably all over the place a bit himself.

Those around him are f()cking useless.

This. Countless times he was dragged left and right (from the middle CB position) because those around him couldn't deal with things. Fonte is probably under more pressure with this defence than he's ever been, hence why he's probably all over the place a bit himself.

Exactly I feel sorry for the poor guy, if things stay the same he'll be out the Portugal squad for the up coming euros!

He's doing the post-match.

"The fact is we didn't perform as well as we could have, we aren't happy about it. It's disappointing for everyone."

"We need to pick ourselves up. I hope the public in St Mary's sunday are patient with us, we need them more than ever."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

There is/was something going on behind the scenes judging by the change of agent and supposed Villa interest. Could be affecting him, afterall his previous two CB partners and both fullbacks have moved onto to bigger clubs and gained tidy pay rises in the last 18months, maybe he has a slight feeling of missing out? Would be understandable to a degree.

Not sure how anyone else was to blame for him completely selling himself for the goal last night, that was his mistake alone, pure and simple.

I think the fact that Lovren, Toby and Fonte have struggled without Morgan in front of them speaks volumes.

Nothing to do with that poor sod... one moment he's got competent footballers beside him, the next moment he's got Martina, Yoshida, Caulker and Targett all brainfarting alongside him. Poor fecker is overworked thinking for them four, let alone covering them physically as well.

dis

Not sure how anyone else was to blame for him completely selling himself for the goal last night, that was his mistake alone, pure and simple.

I think the fact that Lovren, Toby and Fonte have struggled without Morgan in front of them speaks volumes.

and the fact Smalling is starting to look good all of a sudden

Yes, Fonte was poor last night but to suggest he's suddenly turned into a terrible player is utter b*llocks.

He was clear MOM against Watford just five days ago. He hasn't turned into a bad player overnight. It was clear to see how disappointed he was after the game last night.

He is our Captain and has been a rock for us for years. Get behind him and the team on Sunday FFS.

Anyone notice how the press are praising Chris Smalling for a massive improvement in performances lately? The Schneiderlin effect. I've said it to people for ages, Morgan Schneiderlin can make a good centre half look great and an average one look good. Lovren struggled after he left, Toby hasn't looked as good so far (very early days) and now it's Jose's turn

Yes, Fonte was poor last night but to suggest he's suddenly turned into a terrible player is utter b*llocks.

He was clear MOM against Watford just five days ago. He hasn't turned into a bad player overnight. It was clear to see how disappointed he was after the game last night.

He is our Captain and has been a rock for us for years. Get behind him and the team on Sunday FFS.

Would he still be MOTM against Watford if they scored those two sitters?

Anyone notice how the press are praising Chris Smalling for a massive improvement in performances lately? The Schneiderlin effect. I've said it to people for ages, Morgan Schneiderlin can make a good centre half look great and an average one look good. Lovren struggled after he left, Toby hasn't looked as good so far (very early days) and now it's Jose's turn

If so, we gave him away. Should have asked for double

Fonte looks off form and out of touch.

Yeah I agree with this, he has looked the more error prone so far this season in my opinion, from loose passes to being caught out by the attackers he is on the backfoot.

Anyway hopefully training against Ronaldo for a week or so should sharpen him up and to quote Toby's comment the other week, hopefully having a proper defensive partnership in-front of him should help tighten up the midfield.

In the Daily Fail this morning in the article about Jorge Mendes:

"Mendes, who was unavailable for comment, has a quirky sense of fair play and it certainly came as a surprise to the Portuguese agent Artur Fernandes when he received an invitation to Mendes’s wedding last month. Just weeks before, Fernandes had lost Southampton captain Jose Fonte to Mendes.

Fonte remains at St Mary’s, angling for a new contract to put him in line with the club’s top earners or waiting for a move to a top club at the end of the season.

Now that he is working with Mendes, that day will come."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3222838/Jorge-Mendes-agent-Jose-Mourinho-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Angel-di-Maria-Pepe-Radamel-Falcao-David-Gea-does-muscle-big-deals.html

Jorge mendes is bad for football.

Why? because he's looking after the financial interests of a player that's underpaid (in context)?

Well that is a load of rubbish, jose is one of our top earners due to him signing a new contract when he was made captain at the start of last season

How do you know what he's on?

Why? because he's looking after the financial interests of a player that's underpaid (in context)?

How do you know what he's on?

LOL let me dry my eyes. All PL footballers (and probably most in the three other English leagues) are overpaid. A world were footballers get paid more in a week than a nurse gets in a year is ****ed up IMO. Still that's a soap box for another day.

LOL let me dry my eyes. All PL footballers (and probably most in the three other English leagues) are overpaid. A world were footballers get paid more in a week than a nurse gets in a year is ****ed up IMO. Still that's a soap box for another day.

How do you define whether or not someone is overpaid? Premier League footballers are underpaid if you look at the revenue they generate...

The bit in brackets was the relevant bit. And even so, if Fonte, like the majority of footballers, has told his agent he wants to get the best financial deal possible, why is it the agents that get grief for it? Never understood it to be honest, they're just doing their job