Sunday's reception

Monk

Excuse the sentiment, excuse tradition and excuse your frustrations.

How should the squad, management and Reed be welcomed to the pitch on Sunday?

Controversial question, I'm well aware.

Discuss.

Same way they always are but if a performance like tonight happens then the reaction at the final whistle will be a nasty one imo.

Another 0-0 or inept performance, maybe then. But I'll turn up to support the team from the outset on Sunday.

Same. This is a huge game for the season ahead. I don't want a 2 week international period of depression on this site. A loss will be unbearable!

I'm struggling. I know it will be a far stronger team, and after the international break unrecognisable. I know many will overreact, bang on about how rubbish we are, but it's like when a top flight club loses a cup tie to a plucky league 1 side or something. Fans start with if we can't beat them we're doomed, but it's nonsense.

We will get Bertrand, Cedric, Wanyama, Clasie, Tadic and Mane back, add a new CB and have a 'good' season, meaning 8th-10th in the premier league. Problem is, I couldn't give a flying fck about that right now. It's not great achievement and no good for keeping players. We had a fantastic chance to have a good european run. Yes we had injuries but we were playing a dire, dire team. If you're playing Arsenal maybe go long. But why when playing a limited physical side play endless long balls to a target man? Utterly brainless.

So if we stuff Norwich, I think I'll be more ****ed off. Lose lose for me really in that regard. Despite what some will say in the coming weeks, this squad isn't going to go down, but it isn't going to be top 6. So why do we have pundits saying it's good to be out of europe? The english attitude to europe is absolutely pathetic and it'll serve them right if we lose a CL spot. So many fans talk about football and priorities these days as if they get a share of the profits!

I can't be that angry with the board. We've replaced reasonably, spent reasonably and too many were injured. But it is frustrating to see other clubs spending so much more. My main thoughts for Sunday are just struggling to give a toss anymore.

Agree with all of this, but I'll add in I'm concerned about Koeman big time, not just his tactics but what the players think of him.

A lot of clubs are spending big money this summer, so I'm starting to question where all of this money is going

Something is wrong. Looks a bit broken. Maybe down about injury, generally struggling but keep thinking i'm going to hear he's resigned or something.

Must be frustrating to lose Bertrand, Wanyama, Clasie, Mane, Tadic and take ages to get the new CB. Hell of a loss to the quality of the team but not sure why people are using our poor reserve side to judge how we'll do over the next 8 months.

Isn't this what many wanted? No European football so now we can get everyone fit and make sure we get that all important 8th position. Whoop de fcking do.

Because life was so much better in Division 1. We still have two cups to play for and we are still in the Premiership. Man up. There is a long season ahead.

I'm worried that as fans we have become very arrogant. Nothing I've seen suggests a comfortable mid table finish - we are relying on a lot of players who have never performed at this level before. We're in a relegation dogfight until we are out of it - and I predict well need another month at least before we gel - which means an Everton style season hopefully just north of the relegation zone. We have 4 players injured at the moment - imagine if that becomes 6.........

The season starts this weekend after tonight's rubbish. The team and everyone needs to be up for it, and to avoid complacency. Anyone can go down, a lot of teams could do well. On the evidence so far we are bottom half. Something needs to happen, and quickly if the upwards trend is to continue.

We will get Bertrand, Cedric, Wanyama, Clasie, Tadic and Mane back, add a new CB and have a 'good' season, meaning 8th-10th in the premier league. .

The squad we have right now will not finish in the top 10. Teams below us have strengthened (Stoke, Villa, Palace, Newcastle, WBA etc) where as we have been weakened. Tadic has been there just not being picked. Mane has not looked the same this season. Same as Wanyama. Cedric and Clasie hopefully will do better. We need to get in some quality first team players not squad players. We really need some creativity.

A

I'm struggling. I know it will be a far stronger team, and after the international break unrecognisable. I know many will overreact, bang on about how rubbish we are, but it's like when a top flight club loses a cup tie to a plucky league 1 side or something. Fans start with if we can't beat them we're doomed, but it's nonsense.

We will get Bertrand, Cedric, Wanyama, Clasie, Tadic and Mane back, add a new CB and have a 'good' season, meaning 8th-10th in the premier league. Problem is, I couldn't give a flying fck about that right now. It's not great achievement and no good for keeping players. We had a fantastic chance to have a good european run. Yes we had injuries but we were playing a dire, dire team. If you're playing Arsenal maybe go long. But why when playing a limited physical side play endless long balls to a target man? Utterly brainless.

So if we stuff Norwich, I think I'll be more ****ed off. Lose lose for me really in that regard. Despite what some will say in the coming weeks, this squad isn't going to go down, but it isn't going to be top 6. So why do we have pundits saying it's good to be out of europe? The english attitude to europe is absolutely pathetic and it'll serve them right if we lose a CL spot. So many fans talk about football and priorities these days as if they get a share of the profits!

I can't be that angry with the board. We've replaced reasonably, spent reasonably and too many were injured. But it is frustrating to see other clubs spending so much more. My main thoughts for Sunday are just struggling to give a toss anymore.

I'm feeling the same but we all know get a big win saturday and it will all change.

Excuse the sentiment, excuse tradition and excuse your frustrations.

How should the squad, management and Reed be welcomed to the pitch on Sunday?

Controversial question, I'm well aware.

Discuss.

You asked how they should be welcomed to the pitch. What's the point in booing? It's gone, it wasn't good enough, tomorrow is another day. We can talk all night on the why's and wherefores, it isn't going to change tonights result. I'll be there on Sunday, with one of my kids in the family stand. When they come out, I'll stand up and cheer and clap so that my kid does as well - they are too young to know what tonight means. Hopefully, I'll be doing the same at the end. My son is 9, when he was 3 I took him to see us play Charlton at home, around March 2009 because I thought I'd not have the chance to take him to a Saints game again as it looked like we were going out of business. We've gone to league one and back since then, lets not forget that.

pathetic attitude to Europe? And in same thread dismiss Danish Champions as a 'dire dire team' I know the point you are making but typical of so many English with the attitude of we are the best we have money so we must beat all the little foreigners despite numerous evidence to the contrary.

If we set up with 3/5 at the back, Martina starts, or the game plan is to lump it long to Pelle and see what happens, I can't see it being much fun on Sunday. There's getting beaten, and then there's getting beaten because we were set up wrong with no idea how to go about beating a really poor team.

Edited by Jack

I'm worried that as fans we have become arrogant.......

...and spoilt...and unrealistic...and....

Talk of booing (I realise some is tongue-in-cheek) or any negative reception is ridiculous, particularly 3 league games in. The players should boo the fans as the vocal support has been poor (and tedious, we've only got one songzzzzzzzzzz).

Save your energy from booing and do what football fans have traditionally done, back your side with passion...more so when things are going against you.

Anyone unsure about how they should act on Sunday would do well to watch Jose's interview with the club.

Absolutely. He was obviously so gutted and upset for the fans. He knows the performance was poor and criticism is justified, but the team desperately need confidence with the fans behind them, and that's our job.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Spot on. Even a win will feel like a loss in a way as it won't mean a lot. I don't think I've felt so gutted at losing a game in 10 years. Last night was massive and it felt like we didn't give a **** about it. It's hard to be enthusiastic about about the season ahead, it's ended before it's started. I'm just not sure how we will pick ourselves up from this.

I usually support Les Reed but our transfer business has been questionable so far this summer. And as for being a 'showcase' club, what exactly were we showcasing last night?????????

One thing is for sure, the aim of getting Champions League football won't be happening for this club anytime soon.

The only slight positive is in the next few weeks our starting 11 will look a lot stronger than last night's line up. In an ideal world I'd like to see us sign VVD, Redmond and Austin but it's not going to happen.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The reaction of the fans to the players at the end last night was far from warm. The players looked quite shocked and turned back before they got anywhere near the pen area. Lot of anger in the stands and it was hard to applaud the performance at all.

If the players can't understand the disappointment of fans who have travelled a long way at large cost, some of whom are lucky to get paid in a year what the players might get paid in a week, having witnessed an insipid uninspired performance from their team, then they are more stupid than I give them credit for.

Who? No one has been stand out awful. We've been a team of awful and abysmal tactics and selections. Anyone booing youngsters is a **** for a start. So what, Fonte? Davis? Steklenberg? Pelle? Rodriguez? I mean who hasn't been ****?!

I like a bit of booing in the crowd. These players don't hesitate to leave when they get the chance of more money so it's kind of niave to think it bothers them too much. They are not Saints under 10s they are professional players.

The booing is a message to the board that we all know and they should know that you can't keep selling players and expect the team will continue to perform at the way they did.

We always seem to have a lot of injuries but the re reason we are struggling is that when you are playing Steve Davis week after week who hasn't played well since Christmas and you are playing Yoshida who is an average player maybe just premiership standard you are going to be in trouble. Long average, Yoshida average, Pelle second tier striker, Rodriguez still recovering, Tadic failing to deliver not brilliant

We sure can't defend and we couldn't score at the end of last season or this season.

Never mind still time to sell a few and if we buy one he will have time to bed in.

So to all you get behind the lads donkeys there will be a bit of booing when we struggle to score against Norwich. Enjoy

I think this is the attitude I'm going to adopt.

Unfortunately this is the sort of thing that struggling teams fighting relegation spout when they make a bad start to the season and / or pick up a win and then all of a sudden think they can go on a run. Lets hope Saints themselves aren't thinking this way as a faux reset doesn't do anything to address the insane number of issues our team has at the moment.

I like a bit of booing in the crowd. These players don't hesitate to leave when they get the chance of more money so it's kind of niave to think it bothers them too much. They are not Saints under 10s they are professional players.

The booing is a message to the board that we all know and they should know that you can't keep selling players and expect the team will continue to perform at the way they did.

We always seem to have a lot of injuries but the re reason we are struggling is that when you are playing Steve Davis week after week who hasn't played well since Christmas and you are playing Yoshida who is an average player maybe just premiership standard you are going to be in trouble. Long average, Yoshida average, Pelle second tier striker, Rodriguez still recovering, Tadic failing to deliver not brilliant

We sure can't defend and we couldn't score at the end of last season or this season.

Never mind still time to sell a few and if we buy one he will have time to bed in.

So to all you get behind the lads donkeys there will be a bit of booing when we struggle to score against Norwich. Enjoy

Indeed. If booing your own players is good enough for Pompey fans then its damn well good enough for us. Who wants to come across more intellectually superior to them anyway I say....? ;)

Edited by trousers

Over 45 years of ST attendance I have never boo'd a team at the start.

Yes I have sometimes felt disgruntled at HT and had a quick boo at the end occasionally all fueled by my passion and disappointment. Also I have felt agrieved at various boards.

I can't count how many saints players I have watched in my time but when they come out I don't cheer them individually, I cheer the 11 playeres representing my team "The Saints" and I will cointinue to do so starting Sunday.

COYR

Alan

I was gutted standing in that away section after the game last night. I applauded the players anyway though because one thing I couldn't fault was their application. The gameplan they were asked to deploy was the major problem and that was not their fault. They should be cheered and applauded when they come out on Sunday, just like any other home game. The fans being behind the team is the best was to get what everyone wants.

I was gutted standing in that away section after the game last night. I applauded the players anyway though because one thing I couldn't fault was their application. The gameplan they were asked to deploy was the major problem and that was not their fault. They should be cheered and applauded when they come out on Sunday, just like any other home game. The fans being behind the team is the best was to get what everyone wants.

This. Fair play to you

Over 45 years of ST attendance I have never boo'd a team at the start.

Yes I have sometimes felt disgruntled at HT and had a quick boo at the end occasionally all fueled by my passion and disappointment. Also I have felt agrieved at various boards.

I can't count how many saints players I have watched in my time but when they come out I don't cheer them individually, I cheer the 11 playeres representing my team "The Saints" and I will cointinue to do so starting Sunday.

COYR

Alan

This. We support Saints, we do not support individual players, our tribe is Southampton FC, always has been, always will be.

BTW - It never ceases to amaze me how posters who rarely post, always seem to speak the most sense and bring order to this chaotic forum

Indeed. If booing your own players is good enough for Pompey fans then its damn well good enough for us. Who wants to come across more intellectually superior to them anyway I say....? ;)

Intellectually superior ?

If they put in another crap oerformance I can assure you parts of the crowd will boo them

The only thing that scares the board is th idea the fans won't turn up to future matches.

All this happy clappy nonsense is based on don't upset them or they will stop trying or they will be so upset they will lose the will to play is ludicrous. On the basis of your remark the crowd mustn't show its displeasure till after we get relegated on the final day

The customer, and we are customers is king.

Let's see Sir Les sell Wanyama when the crowd boos the team off the pitch