Injury Watch

Roger

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know if Ralph's comment about Bertrand was a translation slip but I thought I heard him say in an interview that Bertrand "denied" he was was fit to start, could simply mean that he felt he wasn't ready or Ralph thought he was and Berty didn't want to try.

Don't know if Ralph's comment about Bertrand was a translation slip but I thought I heard him say in an interview that Bertrand "denied" he was was fit to start, could simply mean that he felt he wasn't ready or Ralph thought he was and Berty didn't want to try.

Ralph just said he still had some pain, so I imagine that was it.

Any info on Sam McQueen

He ruptured his ACL early November. Fingers crossed he's recovering well.

McQueen stikes me as the kind of 'industrious' player that would flourish under Hassenhuttl. He can also play in a few different positions which is another attribute I'm sure RH would appreciate. Fingers crossed indeed that the injury doesn't affect him long term.

He was at the Everton game, sat in the itchen north in the row in front of me. He was moving around pretty normally from what I saw, which is surprising quickly after an ACL injury.

Let's just hope the doctors made a better job of his surgery than they did with J-Rod's.

From what I've seen of him, I think he is a better backup option than Targett, and I think he could fit well with Ralph's philosophy. Fingers crossed for a decent recovery for him, but I guess there is no need to rush him back so I doubt we will see him again this season.

Let's just hope the doctors made a better job of his surgery than they did with J-Rod's.

From what I've seen of him, I think he is a better backup option than Targett, and I think he could fit well with Ralph's philosophy. Fingers crossed for a decent recovery for him, but I guess there is no need to rush him back so I doubt we will see him again this season.

I saw somewhere the reason J Rod had such a long recovery was needing further treatment after getting it infected (superbug ???)

Targett recovery, Bertrand approaching return

Ralph Hasenhüttl has confirmed that he has much the same group to work with for Wednesday’s Premier League visit of Crystal Palace to St Mary’s.

Saints line up against the Eagles for the first league game in 11 days, a time in which the Austrian has been able to oversee the continued recovery of Ryan Bertrand and an upturn in condition for fellow full-back Matt Targett.

While this week’s key double-header may come too soon for the former, the latter is in line to reclaim his place after limping out of the win over Everton before half-time.

“Ryan is a part of training at the moment and he is getting closer,” he said. “For now, it is a pity that Mario Lemina is not as well since he has a few problems with his stomach.

“Matt Targett’s knee injury wasn’t as bad as we first feared in the beginning so he has been training since Saturday so has a good chance to play this week.”

The First Team Manager also provided an update on Charlie Austin and Kayne Ramsay, both of whom face an uphill battle to be ready for Wednesday night.

“Charlie Austin has a swollen ankle so he could be a problem for Wednesday and Kayne Ramsay was ill today; if he trains well tomorrow then we will see about him too.

“It has been a strange week for our schedule not having a fixture at the weekend but we trained very intensively in that time and had a good opportunity to look at the whole squad.”

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-01-28/team-news-southampton-crystal-palace-premier-league-1819

Ralph says he doesn't know extent of Ings injury.

Mentions he has a problem before the game. This happened before, I believe.

He tweaked something in the warmup against Watford -some say it was the back of the knee; others say it was a hamstring. Either way had to be subbed just before H/T and ended up missing 5 games.

Seems crazy to have risked him again if he felt something beforehand.
This.

I'm no medic, but wondering if the cold weather acts as a bit of a catalyst for someone who is susceptible to muscle injuries? (Likely to be bowlocks but I've a masters in thinking out loud...)

I've heard that the obligation to buy kicks in when he's made a certain amount of appearances.

If that's the case, assume we haven't passed the threshold yet? Wonder if we'll start to see less of Ings as the season goes on so that we get to keep our options open?

If that's the case, assume we haven't passed the threshold yet? Wonder if we'll start to see less of Ings as the season goes on so that we get to keep our options open?

I have no idea what the number is and I did ask. If true, then I can imagine he'll be bench more towards the end of the season if we are safe but that's pure speculation on my part.