Injury Watch

Roger

A player who broke his leg the day before could be in a squad photo, that on its own doesn't really mean anything.

Indeed.

This smacks of another J-Rod situation. It's now been over a year since he did his ACL while on loan at Boro. Since then there has been nothing but silence from the club about his recovery and/or expected return date. He's not even listed at all on the Physio Room website.

Indeed.

This smacks of another J-Rod situation. It's now been over a year since he did his ACL while on loan at Boro. Since then there has been nothing but silence from the club about his recovery and/or expected return date. He's not even listed at all on the Physio Room website.

We do this with a lot of injuries, I have no idea why. Keep it quiet in the hope everyone will forget.

It's not like he's an important player or a fan fav, so I'm confused by the radio silence.

Indeed.

Maybe it is career threatening and neither the player nor the club want to go public about it. Such circumstance would be very personal and hard to get your head around.

Maybe it is career threatening and neither the player nor the club want to go public about it. Such circumstance would be very personal and hard to get your head around.

So put out some non commital holding statement at least then people would know that the club care and have the player in their minds, at the moment it's like he doesn't exist. To a lesser extent how about some news about Josh Sims? The Club are frankly hopeless at supporter relations, but then they are hopeless at just about e erything else at the moment so we shouldn't be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
Didn’t Charlie George suffer a mishap between his toes and a lawnmower?

Lost top of one of his middle fingers - lawn mower got stuck, so he turned it over while still switched on and cleared the blockage :mcinnes:

Hence opposition fans chant of "Charlie, Charlie give us a wave"

• 3 weeks later...
Valery is still young, if it is a virus it could be something like glandular fever. That could keep him out with fatigue for a couple of months if it's a bad case.

Yep, had it and the after effects last a bit.. It can be slightly stress related. Worst thing was no alcohol for 6 months, which finished to coincide with a skiing holiday. Never was a lager drunk with such pleasure!

There s anti JWP clan, an anti Cedric clan, an anti PEH clan, an anti Jack Stephens clan, an anti Boufal clan, an anti Ralph clan.

Not sure if the same people are part of all these clans but i know that all have contributed this year and don t deserve the abuse they get on here or in the stadium.

Performances are not always perfect but if they were, we would be top 5.

There s anti JWP clan, an anti Cedric clan, an anti PEH clan, an anti Jack Stephens clan, an anti Boufal clan, an anti Ralph clan.

Not sure if the same people are part of all these clans but i know that all have contributed this year and don t deserve the abuse they get on here or in the stadium.

Not to mention the anti Redders clan, the anto Romeu clan. Thankfully the anti Steve Davis clan (if you can call 3 people a clan) don't seem to be so prevalent these days. Then of course there is the Cult of Cortese. Still good to see the Happy Clapper clan seems to be making a bit of a comeback.

Actually, Mané, Pellè and Tadič were, "not always perfect." The players you have listed were all consistently substandard for most of the season. If you can’t criticise the likes of Cédric and PEH for the performances they’ve put in until very recently, there’s little point in having a discussion forum. Also a ’clan’ just means large numbers of people are in agreement. Back in the day we had an ‘anti-Ollie Lancashire’ clan too.

Ive obviously misunderstood the point of a forum. I thought it was to exchange views on players, matches, the club, the opposition etc. Football is all about opinions. Self righteous buggers coming on here when the team are having a good run is laughable. If a player gets slated it doesn’t mean those slating them are anti that player. I’m not a huge fan of Stephens, but of late he’s played well, good for him, good for the club and good for the supporters. Not being a fan of his doesn’t mean I’m sat in the stands and hoping he’ll **** up to prove my opinions right because he is representing Southampton and therefore we all want him and any other player to do well.

But if players aren’t performing what’s the point of a forum if you can’t discuss it with other fans without being branded as “anti” this, “anti” that ?

Edited by beatlesaint

Ive obviously misunderstood the point of a forum. I thought it was to exchange views on players, matches, the club, the opposition etc. Football is all about opinions. Self righteous buggers coming on here when the team are having a good run is laughable. If a player gets slated it doesn’t mean those slating them are anti that player. I’m not a huge fan of Stephens, but of late he’s played well, good for him, good for the club and good for the supporters. Not being a fan of his doesn’t mean I’m sat in the stands and hoping he’ll **** up to prove my opinions right because he is representing Southampton and therefore we all want him and any other player to do well.

But if players aren’t performing what’s the point of a forum if you can’t discuss it with other fans without being branded as “anti” this, “anti” that ?

He’s the biggest plum on here I wouldn’t worry.

Back in the day a certain Franny Benali used to gets dogs abuse...then there was Ian Dowie jeez he used to get it big time !!

Remember Dowie's name being booed when announced on the tannoy. And yes Franny used to get absolutely savaged from some in the stands.

May I bring the thread back to injuries? Or the lack of them. Apparently we are one of only two Premier League clubs not to have suffered any additional injuries during the "ludicrous" Xmas/New Year pileup of fixtures. The other is Everton.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7857263/Premier-League-managers-count-cost-hectic-festive-fixture-list-injuries-mount.html

Edited by fez
typo

May I bring the thread back to injuries? Or the lack of them. Apparently we are one of only two Premier League clubs not to have suffered any additional injuries during the "ludicrous" Xmas/New Year pileup of fixtures. The other is Everton.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7857263/Premier-League-managers-count-cost-hectic-festive-fixture-list-injuries-mount.html

Not all of it is directly attributable to the number of games, some clubs need to take a look at themselves and understand that their methods for training and recovery need to be reviewed and improved. Maybe something that dinosaurs like Steve Bruce need to be more aware of.

Not all of it is directly attributable to the number of games, some clubs need to take a look at themselves and understand that their methods for training and recovery need to be reviewed and improved. Maybe something that dinosaurs like Steve Bruce need to be more aware of.

Agreed. Our sports science guys need to take a bow. The full backs, Hoj and especially JWP, have worked ridiculously hard over this period and have looked fresh throughout. Moreover, Ings has stayed injury free and looked strong when played. Newcastle have lost loads of players to hamstrings which is largely avoidable with the right training, recovery, stretching, pilates, etc.

That was us until a couple of seasons ago. We had a consistently awful injury record, in stark contrast to Leicester who never seemed to have more than one or two injuries (especially during their miracle season). I think Pearson had a lot to do with that, and they have continued it to this day.

Something seems to have changed at SMS, and credit to our current (new?) physios/sport science guys for turning it around.

It's massive keeping the majority of players fit. Bournemouth and Newcastle being prime examples of what happens if you don't.

That was us until a couple of seasons ago. We had a consistently awful injury record, in stark contrast to Leicester who never seemed to have more than one or two injuries (especially during their miracle season). I think Pearson had a lot to do with that, and they have continued it to this day.

Something seems to have changed at SMS, and credit to our current (new?) physios/sport science guys for turning it around.

It's massive keeping the majority of players fit. Bournemouth and Newcastle being prime examples of what happens if you don't.

Watch Villa start to slide further down the table too due to injuries.