Injury Watch

Roger

Last update was "after the international break" but getting less and less likely, no sign of either in any training pictures, so they are not really close yet, with 2 weeks left before WBA.

The fact they aren't in training pictures doesn't mean they won't be back in two weeks time...

The fact they aren't in training pictures doesn't mean they won't be back in two weeks time...

Well **** me, thanks for stating the bleeding obvious. It is a possible indicator rhough that they have not started training with the squad yet. Players don't suddenly get well and fit Jeez.

Well **** me, thanks for stating the bleeding obvious. It is a possible indicator rhough that they have not started training with the squad yet. Players don't suddenly get well and fit Jeez.

Highly unlikely if you think that Bertrand and Clasie will be back playing for any real length of time in less than 2 weeks. Its not like they've had a pre-season or anything is it.

to be fair id play bertrand wearing two protective boots over targett. probably quicker. MT runs like je is towing a caravan.

Targett may lack (at present; only 19 remember) Bertrand's attacking flair, but defensively he's very sound. Had Redmond in his pocket the whole game against Norwich, for example.

Bertrand's injury is very frustrating.

May 24th - season ends

(5 weeks pass)

June 26th - he has surgery

(10 days pass)

July 6th - Surgery news revealed. Koeman publically says he is out 5 to 6 weeks

(6 weeks pass)

August 15th - play Everton

(4 weeks pass)

Sept 12th - W. Brom.

He has now missed 8 competitive games. No sign of him in training. What are we looking at here? I am not feeling confident he sees the pitch until mid October. I hope I am wrong.

Also, when did the club and Bertrand know surgery was needed? Could it have been done sooner after the end of last season instead of waiting 5 weeks?

Koeman publically says he is out 5 to 6 weeks

I think it was more a 5 - 6 weeks before he's back in training, being match fit obviously quiet a bit longer

Could it have been done sooner after the end of last season instead of waiting 5 weeks?

Normally it's a case of waiting to see how it reacts with rest, if it doesn't heal as expected then it's surgery. I'm sure surgery was the last resort.

i'd be surprised to see Bertrand back this side of Christmas. remember he has no pre season. It will take him quite a while to build the physical fitness and then he will need games under his belt.

That is a very pessimistic view. Back before the end of the month I'd say, presuming there haven't been any set backs with his operation and recovery.

Bertrand's injury is very frustrating.

May 24th - season ends

(5 weeks pass)

June 26th - he has surgery

(10 days pass)

July 6th - Surgery news revealed. Koeman publically says he is out 5 to 6 weeks

(6 weeks pass)

August 15th - play Everton

(4 weeks pass)

Sept 12th - W. Brom.

He has now missed 8 competitive games. No sign of him in training. What are we looking at here? I am not feeling confident he sees the pitch until mid October. I hope I am wrong.

Also, when did the club and Bertrand know surgery was needed? Could it have been done sooner after the end of last season instead of waiting 5 weeks?

do you not think the club has people who know exactly what needs to be done taking into consideration all the medical information currently available? !

anyone ITK have any updates on Bertrand and Clasie????

Neither involved in today's friendly vs Oxford...

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150908-report-southampton-2-1-oxford-united-2676578.aspx

Southampton beat Oxford United 2-1 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at the Staplewood Campus on Tuesday afternoon.

Ronald Koeman handed starts to a number of his players who have not been away on international duty over the past week, with Jay Rodriguez, Juanmi and Oriol Romeu all featuring.

New signing Virgil van Dijk made his first appearance in a Saints shirt at the heart of the defence alongside fellow summer recruit Steven Caulker.

Ryan Seager, who has missed the start of the season through injury, started in attack for Saints and almost opened the scoring early on as he hit the crossbar from the edge of the box with a lobbed effort.

Saints were awarded a penalty soon after following a foul on Sam McQueen, and although Rodriguez saw his spot-kick saved, the striker tapped home the rebound to open the scoring.

Despite Saints’ dominance, they were pegged back seven minutes later as Davis failed to keep out Josh Ruffels’s low drive from the edge of the box following a good team move from the visitors.

Just a minute later though, Saints regained their lead. Rodriguez played in Juanmi who, with the aid of a deflection, saw his strike loop over the goalkeeper and into the empty net.

The Spaniard almost grabbed a second just before half time after good work between Seager and Rodriguez, but his effort flew just over the top of the crossbar.

Juanmi had an effort well saved in the second half, while Davis made an excellent stop at the other end to preserve the lead for Saints as it finished 2-1.

Koeman said today Bertrand is back in normal training next Monday, Clasie will be a little longer.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150910-team-news-west-bromwich-albion-southampton-2679716.aspx

Would be interested to learn more on the Bertand issue. The operation was on both knees I think? And it was done in the middle of the summer. If I was going to wildly speculate I would suggest Bertrand could have been a naughty boy during the summer and did something he shouldn't have and got hurt or someone in the medical team messed up and this was caught late.

Or genuinely it could just be a problem that presented itself and was then dealt with accordingly. But both knees is strange and concerning...

Would be interested to learn more on the Bertand issue. The operation was on both knees I think? And it was done in the middle of the summer. If I was going to wildly speculate I would suggest Bertrand could have been a naughty boy during the summer and did something he shouldn't have and got hurt or someone in the medical team messed up and this was caught late.

Or genuinely it could just be a problem that presented itself and was then dealt with accordingly. But both knees is strange and concerning...

I'm assuming he had some minor damage to both knees that he'd been playing despite, and it wasn't causing any significant problem but could probably have done with being tidied up - but then something happened to require surgery in one, and the club decided he may as well get both done at the same time.

We'd have sent him in for surgery the day after the Man City game at the end of last season if there was a significant known issue at the time to give him the longest recovery possible without missing matches, so it's likely that it was a summer incident (he could have been weight or balance training, they still do stuff in the summer now) and they must have chosen to take advantage of him being out of action to fix a minor issue in the other one.

He would have been if he didn't get that infection tbf. Everything was right on course, but that infection he had added another 6 months.

Well aware of that, chickens however should not be counted prematurely...

Many injuries take longer than the manager hopes, Bertrand and Clasie two more shorter term examples. Not really too worried about Fraser, we have a more than adequate replacement as long as he doesn't get injured and we have to rely on Uncle Kelvin or Gazza again.

Well aware of that, chickens however should not be counted prematurely...

Many injuries take longer than the manager hopes, Bertrand and Clasie two more shorter term examples. Not really too worried about Fraser, we have a more than adequate replacement as long as he doesn't get injured and we have to rely on Uncle Kelvin or Gazza again.

This might be different tho and its best to think

Positively. And gazza had improved loads IMO.