Injury Watch

Roger

Ice pack on his knee at HT in the tunnel apparently.

Tripped by Skrtel for the 2nd penalty. Skrtel seems to have it in for Saints players in the box recently. Injury doesn't sound too bad, played for 20-odd minutes from when he was injured until half-time. Maybe a doubt for the weekend, but could be OK beyond that. We have JRod and Charlie back in contention for the Leicester game, don't we?

• 2 weeks later...
What's Leicester's secret with injuries (or lack thereof)? Is it really just pure luck?

There was a Leicester fan on here the other day who reckoned it was all down to the sports science that was implemented while Pearson was still manager which somehow manages muscular injuries a lot better than how other clubs do it.

Obviously though, that doesn't account for impact injuries. So in that respect they have been very lucky.

What's Leicester's secret with injuries (or lack thereof)? Is it really just pure luck?

Less games? -went out of the cups quite early, and no Europe?

Players desperate to play? Hasn't Vardy play with numerous knocks?

Perhaps they bought players who aren't prone to injury? - what's their records like at previous clubs?

Here's the bit from the Leicester fan

Hi, Leicester fan in peace.

Just a point on the injuries, of course luck does play a part in some way as you can't do much about impact injuries. I think most injuries are muscle based though, whether it's a hammy, a calf, thigh, groin etc. Since Pearson arrived here and setup the sports science department our injury record has been fantastic with regards not losing players to muscle problems. We do things quite differently to most with regards extra rest days (something Ranieri was baffled by and wanted to change until being convinced otherwise), the cryotherapy chamber we had installed at the training ground, along with lots of other innovations that were embraced. So whilst I agree, luck does play a part. It can't just be attributed to that, you have to give credit to the clubs setup.

Yes other teams have lost more players, but I'm sorry. The likes of Man City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea and even Spurs to some extent, can replace one injured player with someone else who cost anything from £5m to £30m. Then having a few more injuries is no excuse when we're doing it with a starting 11 that cost less than one half a Raheem Sterling.

Of course top clubs aren't performing as well as they might usually but often you only get one or two per season who get it right anyway. What we're on course for is more than enough to get you 2nd or 3rd most seasons. I did a count up a while back and with our current ppg ratio we'd end up on enough to win the league about 30% of the time. So whilst the lack of that one exceptional team might help us get the title, where usually we might not have. We'd still be there or there abouts, 4 losses in 41 games is no fluke.

Plan B is a variation of Plan A, so you're right it's pretty close to what we did before. But more of a shift to the defensive side, people started giving us the ball and sitting back. We don't want the ball, it's not how we want to play really. So we've sat deeper, got more people back, aren't pressing as high up the pitch as much as we were. Basically forcing the other team to come onto us, even though their game plan wasn't to do that. It's of no surprise that we've scored pretty much in all our recent games when the other team has been having a "good spell".

The beauty of the team is that they are capable of doing both sides of it. Opening it up and bombing forwards with pace and some skill (see the game against you earlier in the season after we went 2 behind). Whilst also being more than happy to sit back, absorb pressure and grind it out like in this game.

There are 1000 little things that have got us to this point, enough to honestly write a book about. From training ground improvements, to scouting, past and present managers inputs, the owners mentality, bloody clappers!. All just culminating in what's happening. I'm sure some people will look at our style and think it's that they need to copy, but I don't think it can be. It's more than that, it's a once in a lifetime chain of events that brought us to this point.

Just want to say thanks to the saints fans I met the other day as well. Really nice bunch.

There was a Leicester fan on here the other day who reckoned it was all down to the sports science that was implemented while Pearson was still manager which somehow manages muscular injuries a lot better than how other clubs do it.

Obviously though, that doesn't account for impact injuries. So in that respect they have been very lucky.

I doubt Leicester are any more advances on sports science than most other Prem clubs, it's been widespread for a long time, even things like cryo chambers - they've just had the fortune not to get injuries or suspensions to key players at key times. The exception being the impact of losing Simpson for half an hour against Arsenal and Wasilewski coming on instead, which shows what would most likely happen if a "normal" level of injury/suspension affected them.

I'm not buying that they've got a sports science setup that makes enough of a difference until they get through another couple of seasons with far fewer injuries than most others.

Of course the recent "blood doping" allegations were vague enough to raise some eyebrows too, not that I'm suggesting for a second that's what's going on there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Why didn't Rodriguez play yesterday? Injured again?

In the post-match interview yesterday, Puel said something about JRod coming back from 2 years out and mentioned his ankle, saying it was "not a good problem". Which is all gobbledygook to me.

I think our club interviewer needs to adopt a different questioning technique with Puel as his answers are often difficult to follow.

The comment about JRod is from 02:10 onwards on this clip:

Edited by trousers

In the post-match interview yesterday, Puel said something about JRod coming back from 2 years out and mentioned his ankle, saying it was a "good problem". Which is all gobbledygook to me.

I think our club I get viewers need to adopt a different interviewing technique with Puel as his answers are difficult to follow.

A bit like your last sentence.

In the post-match interview yesterday, Puel said something about JRod coming back from 2 years out and mentioned his ankle, saying it was "not a good problem". Which is all gobbledygook to me.

I think our club interviewer needs to adopt a different questioning technique with Puel as his answers are often difficult to follow.

The comment about JRod is from 02:10 onwards on this clip:

Gobbledygook is the word. Saw the interview but it didn't tell me anything. Thanks anyway.

JayRod came home from Holland on Thursday.

We were told he had picked up a virus.

If that's the case, I wonder why Puel talked about an ankle injury when asked about JRod's absence from the squad yesterday.... (Unless I completely misheard what he said?)

• 4 weeks later...
Surely he'll start, this is almost a must-win game. We need to get up and running, just to give the fans a boost if nothing else! If Bertrand can play, then he must IMO.

Exactly, if he's fit enough for the bench he's fit enough to start.