Injury Watch

Roger

Believe so. Really hope Jay is ok.

He's been slowly getting back to form.

Yeah...if he's out for another month or more now we're going to have to seriously consider whether keeping him next summer is viable. He's been fantastic recently, but can we afford to carry someone who can spend more than half the season out injured?

It's interesting to see that in general the top teams have the fewest injuries. I know there's bad luck (like VVD), but I wonder if they're doing something differently, and what.

Bigger, stronger squads, so don't have to rush players back as much?

9? That's nearly a whole team:

GK: McCarthy

LB: Targett

CD: Virgil

CD:

RB: Pied

MD: Hesketh

MD: Ward-Prowse

MD:

AM: Boufal

LF: Rodriguez

RF: Austin

The injuries have the makings of a decent side! Shame Gardos is back from injury as he's ruined the physio room back 4...

It's interesting to see that in general the top teams have the fewest injuries. I know there's bad luck (like VVD), but I wonder if they're doing something differently, and what.

We need to do what Leicester are doing (except stomping on opponents ankles - well, Vardy maybe). Nigel Pearson got something set up there that is working incredibly.

We need to do what Leicester are doing (except stomping on opponents ankles - well, Vardy maybe). Nigel Pearson got something set up there that is working incredibly.

Good strength coaches, kinesiologists, physical therapists, nutritionists etc. Have the players spend half of the week on the pitch and the other half in the gym and recovery rooms.

TBF our medical facilities are as good as anybodies and we have topped the injury free charts in the past so I would put our current crisis down to 2 things :

1. Bad luck !

2. 10 games in a month (maybe) !

Edited by eurosaint

That's at the moment, the big teams have had just as bad injury problems. In recent years Utd despite a vast squad had virtually no defenders for some games and Arsenal always have shed loads of injuries.

It's just bad luck generally.

TBF our medical facilities are as good as anybodies and we have topped the injury free charts in the past so I would put our current crisis down to 2 things :

1. Bad luck !

2. 10 games in a month (maybe) !

3. Buying injury-prone players

We buy injury-prone and unfit players because they are cheap. The big clubs don't need to do that. Austin's knee issues were well-publicised before we bought him, Boufal and Clasie were unfit to play when we bought them and now we are being linked with Gabbiadini who has an awful injury record, known issues with ankle problems and muscle fatigue, and who has only managed to play 2 full 90 minute Serie A games in the last 2 years.

Sometimes it pays off and you get a bargain. You could certainly argue that Austin's goals when he is available to play mean the risk was worth it.

If you want to reduce injuries, you buy players who have played 90 minute games regularly without injury or fitness issues. Of course, you still can't do much about bad luck like Vardy's stamp on van Dijk's foot.

Just heard Puel on Sky and to say he said three weeks would need digital interpretation it sounded more like few than three. I see the OS said three but he mumbles and it could have been anything.

Edited by derry

Just heard Puel on Sky and to say he said three weeks would need digital interpretation it sounded more like few than three. I see the OS said three but he mumbles and it could have been anything.

Doubt we'd put it on the website if it wasn't true.

It's 12 days to the Sunderland game and I'd think he was unlikekly to make that. The final is just under 4 weeks away so let's hope it is 3 weeks and not 5 :)

We buy injury-prone and unfit players because they are cheap. The big clubs don't need to do that. Austin's knee issues were well-publicised before we bought him, Boufal and Clasie were unfit to play when we bought them and now we are being linked with Gabbiadini who has an awful injury record, known issues with ankle problems and muscle fatigue, and who has only managed to play 2 full 90 minute Serie A games in the last 2 years.

Sometimes it pays off and you get a bargain. You could certainly argue that Austin's goals when he is available to play mean the risk was worth it.

If you want to reduce injuries, you buy players who have played 90 minute games regularly without injury or fitness issues. Of course, you still can't do much about bad luck like Vardy's stamp on van Dijk's foot.

Good point. Although largely down to bad luck, we have brought a little on ourselves. Austin was a very, very strange signing in my book. The fee might not have been big, but the wage certainly will be. I don't know who pushed that transfer through, but it must have caused a few ripples. I wonder if it was RK? If the decision wasn't universally supported, when he got injured soon after joining, there must have been some tension created there.

You have to question the Boufal move a little as well. Making an injured player your record signing is bold to say the least. Perhaps its easy to say why not wait and sign him in January as you may lose out, the selling club may only want to sell in the summer or the price may go up, but do you really break your transfer record on someone that won't play for a while. Its tough to move clubs and move abroad, but to then have to start your Saints career from the injury table must have been very difficult. I forgot about Classie being injured. I can't believe we signed him, never mind signed him injured. In his case was he really the only/best choice out there. RK or whoever must have thought he was worth the wait. They were wrong.

You could also point to offering JRod a five year deal before he had even started making his way back from his serious injury. Very brave decision that hasn't worked out yet, although could the club really risk him leaving on a free? They have paid him handsomely for very little return, hoping that he will come good and that investment would pay off. It hasn't yet, but if the WBA £15m move is even remotely true then it would have been the right decision. We will see.

Returning to your point, we say our transfer dealings involve extremely comprehensive research about character etc., yet we do seem to overlook the obvious - are they fit? There will be counter arguments I am sure, but availability is the best type of ability.

Edited by Chez

You could be right but I guess the counter argument is that players like JWP, Targett & Hesketh are all youth products.

Jrod, Yoshida, McCarthy & Pied had no real injury history before signing and VVD was the victim of a bad tackle !

I still reckon that bad luck is the overriding factor!

Going to miss the final according to the UI.

If that is the case his stop start season can be filed under disappointment along with many other of our bigger money signings , hopefully he can manage a prolonged spell in the side at some point.