They may have signed Toby....

Saint IQ

Why would the likes of Berahino or Wanyama ever want to sign for Spurs when Levy values them so cheaply? If I was them, I'd be thinking, "If you think I'm top-six quality, pay my club a top-six transfer fee. If you're not willing to, clearly you don't think I'm worth it, so f**k you."

But then, I have a brain and a sense of loyalty to my current employer. Your average modern-day footballer ... not so much.

Why would the likes of Berahino or Wanyama ever want to sign for Spurs when Levy values them so cheaply? If I was them, I'd be thinking, "If you think I'm top-six quality, pay my club a top-six transfer fee. If you're not willing to, clearly you don't think I'm worth it, so f**k you."

But then, I have a brain and a sense of loyalty to my current employer. Your average modern-day footballer ... not so much.

They dont care what the departing club gets, only what they will be paid.

This.

When money is involved (wages) reasoning and behaviour go out of the window to be replaced by self-interest of the worst kind. Blah blah blah, they only have a short playing career bull gets trotted out, as if they can't lower themselves from earning 100 times or more the average wage a year, to do something more menial. And when they get all this money, they still don't know how to behave.

Average UK salary = £26k a year

Average PL wage = £43,717 a week (£2.3m a year). This was a Nov 2014 figure, so no doubt things have gone up from there.

Obviously. Hence my dig about loyalty to your employer. If they had any, they'd want the club they play for to get a fair deal, having given them a chance to play professional football, improve themselves, put themselves in the shop window, etc. It's what I liked about J-Rod signing the new deal, saying he felt he owed it to the club for sticking with him while he was injured and providing quality care that's basically ensured he can continue with his career.

Unfortunately I know loads of Spurs fans. Virtually every single one of them goes on about how they are going to raid Saints as usual taking our best players (acting as if we are their feeder club).........Why do they think this?

Every time I respond and say 'name me two plays that Spurs have signed from us if we are such a supplier of players to them'. And virtually every time they say Bale and ermmmmm, hesitate, hesitate a bit longer oh year Dean Richards (god rest his soul)......for **** sake that was 14 years ago.

Spurs fans are in lots of ways almost as delusional as pompey fans.

You have forgotten Martin Chivers

The opinions from the Spurs' forums are enlightening because they are the ones who would normally be prepared to put the more optimistic gloss over their transfer activity. However, the overall impression given is one of gloom and despondency. It seemed apparent that they were short of strikers and also weak in midfield, but have signally failed to address those weaknesses before the transfer window closed.

Kane is already suffering a goal drought and should he suffer an injury like J-Rod did, their season is knackered, unless they unearth somebody similar from their academy. As pointed out by others, the lack of protection offered to their back line by their midfield could also mean that they ship many more goals. Their goal difference was bad enough last season.

Will Pochettino still be their manager by Christmas?

The opinions from the Spurs' forums are enlightening because they are the ones who would normally be prepared to put the more optimistic gloss over their transfer activity. However, the overall impression given is one of gloom and despondency. It seemed apparent that they were short of strikers and also weak in midfield, but have signally failed to address those weaknesses before the transfer window closed.

Kane is already suffering a goal drought and should he suffer an injury like J-Rod did, their season is knackered, unless they unearth somebody similar from their academy. As pointed out by others, the lack of protection offered to their back line by their midfield could also mean that they ship many more goals. Their goal difference was bad enough last season.

It wouldn't take just an injury to Kane, a loss of confidence would be enough and that seems to be his problem at the moment.

Of course he will - they haven't done that badly this window, just messed up a couple of transfers, they still have a team that when on form, will win. Pochettino is good at building cliques with a close knit bunch of players, so although it's fashionable to hate him, I can still see them finishing top 7 and I can see him keeping his job.

Of course he will - they haven't done that badly this window, just messed up a couple of transfers, they still have a team that when on form, will win. Pochettino is good at building cliques with a close knit bunch of players, so although it's fashionable to hate him, I can still see them finishing top 7 and I can see him keeping his job.

He wasn't recruited to get them in the top 7 though.

Top 7 isnt good enough for Spurs fans and Levy, what with them having mugged 5th on the last day of last season.

Of course Pochettino will be Levy's fall guy.

has William Hill / SkyBet published odds for the first Prem. manager out the door yet ?

Pardew 6/1 favourite for next England Manager :lol:

If they want an Englishman the field is very limited and Pardew would probably be high on any list given there aren't many others managing Premier League clubs. Gary Neville might be worth a go as he is already working with England, but a big risk given his lack of actual management experience.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I don't know for sure how Spurs fans view the Europa League (they probably expect that a such a massive club like theirs should be expecting to win it) but I imagine they certainly expect to have a decent run into the knockout stages - the lack of depth in midfield and up front is sure to hurt them before they have the chance to strengthen in January.

Shame.

They needed additional cover up top and in midfield. We needed additional cover at CB and midfield. We resolved our shortages really quite well with Romeu, Clasie and VVD, whereas they failed to resolve their main shortcomings in defence and midfield.

Had we not signed Romeu and VVD, could you imagine the furore there would be on here? I would argue that as a result of this transfer window, we now have a better team than them. As GarretIvo says, finishing as low as 7th would be curtains for Poch, but there is potential that they could actually be lower down than that by Christmas and I don't think that Levy would stand for that, even though it is largely his fault that those signings weren't made.

They needed additional cover up top and in midfield. We needed additional cover at CB and midfield. We resolved our shortages really quite well with Romeu, Clasie and VVD, whereas they failed to resolve their main shortcomings in defence and midfield.

Had we not signed Romeu and VVD, could you imagine the furore there would be on here? I would argue that as a result of this transfer window, we now have a better team than them. As GarretIvo says, finishing as low as 7th would be curtains for Poch, but there is potential that they could actually be lower down than that by Christmas and I don't think that Levy would stand for that, even though it is largely his fault that those signings weren't made.

didnt spurs sign two forwards...or did we imagine that?

Did they? N'Jie is a midfielder and Son is classified as a left-winger, although he does seem capable of scoring goals in the Bundesliga.

classed by who?

if he scores goals in germany, he might score goals in England?

unless, we are writing players off from before they kick a ball (which you would tell us to NEVER do)?

edit - son classed as a forward here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34069477

with a 1 in 3 goal return in a team that finished 4th and qualified for a shot at the champions league....very good really

Njie - another forward here http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/15/tottenham-sign-clinton-njie-spurs-lyon

god knows how he will turn out. Might be another Mane?

Edited by Batman

classed by who?

if he scores goals in germany, he might score goals in England?

unless, we are writing players off from before they kick a ball (which you would tell us to NEVER do)?

edit - son classed as a forward here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34069477

with a 1 in 3 goal return in a team that finished 4th and qualified for a shot at the champions league....very good really

Njie - another forward here http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/15/tottenham-sign-clinton-njie-spurs-lyon

god knows how he will turn out. Might be another Mane?

Sky had N'Jie as a midfielder on one page, then as a forward on the page about him. He is young, with not an outstanding record with 8 goals in 43. Poch reckons that it would be foolish to throw him in too soon, but he could well turn out to be another Mane.

Son looks the better prospect immediately, but as you say, the time to make a valid assessment will be after a handful of games to see whether they can cut it in the PL.

The point is though, that Berahino appeared to be their number 1 target and they were still after him despite signing the other two, so there is some validity in assessing them as being weaker up front than they expected themselves to be, not least in terms of lacking depth.

I love the phrase "top X" what that translates to is "X" here is a guide

Top 7 = 7th

Top 6 = 6th

Top 5 = 5th

Top 4 = 4th

Top 3 = 3rd

Ever hear someone say we are in the top 5 when they are currently 3rd? Thought not. It is like Pompey saying we are in the top 4 divisions.

Don't forget Saints are now in the top half of the prem.

I've seen Facebook posts by 4 different Spurs fans I know over the last couple of days, all criticising Levy and most saying they expect to do worse this season than last with Europa league group stage kicking in soon lots of games with a weaker squad, will be interesting to see how they get on and how quickly the fans turn.

Needless to say I hope they struggle, the way Levy goes about his business unsettling players trying to get them to force a move is terrible. Poch already complaining that Kane is tired will be ironic if he pics up a knock while away with England in San Marino

Guess who said this

“Thirdly, we never make anything public, particularly in the best interests of the players involved. Making aspects such as transfer requests public is wholly disrespectful to a player."

I wonder how this made it into the public domain... and to Dom Fifield of all people... :rolleyes:

I'm sure Fifield and Modric are close friends. Or something.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jul/14/luka-modric-transfer-request-chelsea

Adrian Durham said there is a rumour that Rodgers has three games to save his career!

Well that makes sense if they are going to sack him that early in the season they might as well of canned him in the summer and let the new bloke have a full pre-season. Personally hope Rodgers is there for some time to come I reckon he is good for a few more giggles yet.

I thought he was hanging over Rodgers?

very possibly

but it might also come down to who offers first and I get the feeling Liverpool have decided to back Rodgers come what may for at least one more season

will Poch have that luxury? We all know Levy has an itchy trigger finger and is always looking for whats 'new' and the current flavour of the month

I just wouldn't be surprised if he had one eye on him that's all

This is terrifically entertaining if you've got a few hours free. Go through the last 20 or so pages to re-live the transfer window through the eyes of the Spurs fans in real time.

"It's OK, Berahino will sign... er, it's been another hour, so I hope he does... OK, it's getting late now, maybe we should go for Austin... OK, there's an hour left, is Berbatov still available?... 10 minutes to go, I'd take Jelavic right now just for depth... OK the window has shut. What just happened?"

Their subsequent meltdown puts ours to shame.

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/summer-2015-transfer-window-discussion-thread.13285/

Enjoy the extra long, extra draining, Europa League season with no midfield and one striker lads :lol:

2 posts I found interesting on the spurs forum with their views on their current owners

1.My feeling is that ENIC have used Spurs to grab land around the Stadium for lower than market value, with an eye on future returns. The football part of the deal has always been secondary to the property.

ENIC do just enough to make it look like our Team was the priority....just enough...sort off, but coming up short happens too often for it to be a fluke of nature.

This summer for me feels like it's alls changed, As soon as the Stadium plans were passed & the regeneration really began & the football side of things could be milked the pretence could be ( and has been ) dropped.

I can hear our boardroom saying "let them eat cake" ...the them is us sadly.........

No one on our board of management could honestly give a **** as they let this transfer window ******** happen with such stunning ineptitude. I understand that they are all richer than 99% of us ever will be so why should they care what the plebs think.....but actually they should.

The disconnect between them & US is huge, after today it's wider than it's ever been. How sad

I assume the thinking at board level will be finishing 5th or 15th does not really matter, it's 78 million or 88 million ( can't be arsed to check the total prize money ) so best keep our money locked up & just pretend there was a try to buy someone.

The worst thing about all this is that we fans all care so much. We believe in Echos of Glory. Sadly, we celebrate coming up short too much now. It can no longer be a chance occurrence to be Spursy, it's from the Top down.

I realised something tonight.........Scholar bought Gazza ( Statement of Intent ) Sugar bought Klinsman ( Statement of Intent ) Levy just digs around in the bargain bins & offers less than market value ( statement of tightness and greedy behavior ) dragging us down in everyone's estimations. He's not a visionary or a misguided chairman. He's just inept.

A point not many make in regard to Levy's genius is that he never fails to get a SALE over the line does he ? ( Ade aside perhaps but that is God's business it appears ) tell you something about his focus & ability. Even a spaz could buy a player @ 26 million and try to Loan them out 2 seasons later ! So stupid.

We are THFC one of the top 15 clubs in the whole of Europe & yet we have 1 Striker and our 5th choice Centre Back @ DM....it's criminal how this is allowed to happen.

This Cheap behavior is not "aiming so high that even failure will have an Echo of Glory" How this feels tonight should not be just how it is at little old Spurs

LEVY **** YOU & **** OFF ENIC your time is up.

2. Totally agree mate. Without sounding like some 'I told you so ****' I have said this since we sold Carrick. In one of my few itk's moments I was made aware of how Kelmsley treat the negotiations with Carrick and his dad. Eunuch couldn't believe they were getting 18.5m for him. They had no understanding of football. There was never a doubt he would be sold despite Carrick wanting to renegotiate his contract. Then there was the Jol debacle. Only Redknapp, someone I wasn't a fan of, has ever managed to keep these fools away from the football team. He didn't suit their agenda. Shame he was only in it for himself too.

The property stuff has only really come to light recently. They saw the millions scum get from the flats they built. That is worth far, far more than winning the league and champions league twice on the spin. Especially in London.

Eunuch would have sold to Cain but the deal they offered was only for the club and stadium. Not the surrounding land. Cain thought they were buying everything. Hence why they walked.

They bought the club for 30m. Levy has earnt more than that in 10 years. We have been raped. Our club is worth between 500 to 800m now yet net spend in 8 years is standing at about 750k.

Still simpletons defend these ****s.

2 posts I found interesting on the spurs forum with their views on their current owners

1.My feeling is that ENIC have used Spurs to grab land around the Stadium for lower than market value, with an eye on future returns. The football part of the deal has always been secondary to the property.

ENIC do just enough to make it look like our Team was the priority....just enough...sort off, but coming up short happens too often for it to be a fluke of nature.

This summer for me feels like it's alls changed, As soon as the Stadium plans were passed & the regeneration really began & the football side of things could be milked the pretence could be ( and has been ) dropped.

I can hear our boardroom saying "let them eat cake" ...the them is us sadly.........

No one on our board of management could honestly give a **** as they let this transfer window ******** happen with such stunning ineptitude. I understand that they are all richer than 99% of us ever will be so why should they care what the plebs think.....but actually they should.

The disconnect between them & US is huge, after today it's wider than it's ever been. How sad

I assume the thinking at board level will be finishing 5th or 15th does not really matter, it's 78 million or 88 million ( can't be arsed to check the total prize money ) so best keep our money locked up & just pretend there was a try to buy someone.

The worst thing about all this is that we fans all care so much. We believe in Echos of Glory. Sadly, we celebrate coming up short too much now. It can no longer be a chance occurrence to be Spursy, it's from the Top down.

I realised something tonight.........Scholar bought Gazza ( Statement of Intent ) Sugar bought Klinsman ( Statement of Intent ) Levy just digs around in the bargain bins & offers less than market value ( statement of tightness and greedy behavior ) dragging us down in everyone's estimations. He's not a visionary or a misguided chairman. He's just inept.

A point not many make in regard to Levy's genius is that he never fails to get a SALE over the line does he ? ( Ade aside perhaps but that is God's business it appears ) tell you something about his focus & ability. Even a spaz could buy a player @ 26 million and try to Loan them out 2 seasons later ! So stupid.

We are THFC one of the top 15 clubs in the whole of Europe & yet we have 1 Striker and our 5th choice Centre Back @ DM....it's criminal how this is allowed to happen.

This Cheap behavior is not "aiming so high that even failure will have an Echo of Glory" How this feels tonight should not be just how it is at little old Spurs

LEVY **** YOU & **** OFF ENIC your time is up.

2. Totally agree mate. Without sounding like some 'I told you so ****' I have said this since we sold Carrick. In one of my few itk's moments I was made aware of how Kelmsley treat the negotiations with Carrick and his dad. Eunuch couldn't believe they were getting 18.5m for him. They had no understanding of football. There was never a doubt he would be sold despite Carrick wanting to renegotiate his contract. Then there was the Jol debacle. Only Redknapp, someone I wasn't a fan of, has ever managed to keep these fools away from the football team. He didn't suit their agenda. Shame he was only in it for himself too.

The property stuff has only really come to light recently. They saw the millions scum get from the flats they built. That is worth far, far more than winning the league and champions league twice on the spin. Especially in London.

Eunuch would have sold to Cain but the deal they offered was only for the club and stadium. Not the surrounding land. Cain thought they were buying everything. Hence why they walked.

They bought the club for 30m. Levy has earnt more than that in 10 years. We have been raped. Our club is worth between 500 to 800m now yet net spend in 8 years is standing at about 750k.

Still simpletons defend these ****s.

Spurs fans are never happy, some of the worst in the game for that. They've done well under ENIC and Levy.