Wanyama and the St.Marys crowd ...boo or cheer ?

manina-pub

Booing helps no one:

- won't help him perform, possibly the opposite.

- if he plays badly we'll end up getting less money for him when he does go.

Players want to leave. That's life and it's a sign we're doing well. If we were **** then no one would want to buy him. We hardly had people queuing up for Paul Wotton....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now the window has shut and he remains at SFC it will be interesting to see the crowd reaction to Vic.

I think will help him a tad if he makes some kind of statement of intent soon about applying himself to the role of professional footballer at Saints.

First game puts in a few tasty challenges or set ups a goal = all forgiven ?

or

Screws up in first 5 minutes = crowd on his back ?

Lets hope he does a Morgan and have a great season.....

It would be quite disgraceful of Saints fans to boo Wanyama.

Being on 30-40 grand a week...making yourself unavailable to play for 2 important games (he may have been ill but I have my doubts) is quite disgraceful to Southampton and its fans...

Yes, but we are supposed to be grateful that he is still with us and hasn't bunked off to another club

Being on 30-40 grand a week...making yourself unavailable to play for 2 important games (he may have been ill but I have my doubts) is quite disgraceful to Southampton and its fans...

That is the politics of the ludicrous transfer system. Meanwhile he is a Saints player for at least a year. Why cut off your nose etc?

Mind, I do believe that players should be docked wages when they refuse to play. Does this happen, anyone?

Back him all the way, he's been brilliant for us, he owes us nothing, we owe him a lot, cheer him on add to our success and he might even stay

has to be a wind up post?

we pay extortionate prices to watch football, some tickets at St Mary's are £50+ now - Mr Wanyama picks up 100% of his very healthy pay packet so i think it is fair to say he owes us 100% effort - which he has not been giving. He needs to make a statement apologising to the club / fans before coming back.

Back him all the way, he's been brilliant for us, he owes us nothing, we owe him a lot, cheer him on add to our success and he might even stay

He owes us nothing?! I think a little bit of respect to the club who pays him very generously and helped him become a very good player, and to the fans who have given him a lot of love over the past couple of seasons isnt too much to ask.

has to be a wind up post?

we pay extortionate prices to watch football, some tickets at St Mary's are £50+ now - Mr Wanyama picks up 100% of his very healthy pay packet so i think it is fair to say he owes us 100% effort - which he has not been giving. He needs to make a statement apologising to the club / fans before coming back.

Did osvaldo apologise?

Did lovren apologise?

Did Lallana apologise?

We would look like a very poor set of supporters if he was given any boos, he is still a Southampton player and we should support our club and players through thick and thin

LOL he's an idiot that we should have flogged to any forign club that would pay the asking price, no place at this club for big time charlies!

what was the asking price?

Odd question! How would I know but I'm sure a club somewhere would have got close enough to be shot of him.

Now... I hadn't considered "flogging".. In public pre match or half-time entertainment?

I think he needs to show the sort of attitude that Schniederlin did last year, he said sorry knuckled down and most importantly played as well as ever. Victor needs to clear the air, I don't care if he says sorry but he needs to state publicly tha he is committed to the saints and will give his all, humility is required and then when he gets the chance he needs to play as well as he ever has done!

There was a time that no player could be approached but times have changed. Although the FA have rules in place not allowing clubs to even say that they have bid or received a bid agents run riot. Possibly with the connivance of the potential bidder the agent/source seeds the media to circulate the story whilst at the same time putting the improved terms in the hands of the player's agent. That in itself unsettles the player having the crock of gold dangled under his nose by an agent who will benefit considerably from any move or even a renegotiated contract.

Wanyama was obviously exposed to this so it is understandable in an industry where there is a lack of any ethics and money is the God that a young lad of limited intelligence is easily led. I personally see him tied to us as long as he is useful and contracted then he will be gone, either dispensed with, or for a big fee. With that in mind as long as he does his best for us while he is here that'll do me.

Wonder what sort of reaction he's going to get from the away end. Surely they won't chant his name?

There was one chorus of "he's a Kenyan" at West Brom. That was it. Not really the pre-rumours 20 minutes solid and singing it on the way out of the ground stuff, but then he was as mediocre in the West Brom game as he was against Watford, which some frothers were claiming was him being rubbish and not trying.

• 3 weeks later...
It would be quite disgraceful of Saints fans to boo Wanyama.

Why? THe greedy fat c*nt threw a paddy a few days before a big Europa league game, refusing to do his job letting down thousands of fans who pay his wages and potentially costing us a one in a blue moon chance of a decent run of games in Europa. Im not a fan of booing players that try hard but arent very good, or those going through a bad spell but ones that do that sort of thing deserve everything they get. Funnily enough no one seemed to have a problem when players like Guly were being booed, being shouted abuse at or ironically cheered, he wasn't a great player but no where near as bad as was made out, a player who always gave his best, played in numoerous postions and wasn't a minutes trouble (apart from his drink driving ban) out yet fans seemed to postively revel in giving him abuse. Same goes for those who scream abuse and ironically cheer the likes of Pelle, Targett, JWP etc

Why? THe greedy fat c*nt threw a paddy a few days before a big Europa league game, refusing to do his job letting down thousands of fans who pay his wages and potentially costing us a one in a blue moon chance of a decent run of games in Europa. Im not a fan of booing players that try hard but arent very good, or those going through a bad spell but ones that do that sort of thing deserve everything they get. Funnily enough no one seemed to have a problem when players like Guly were being booed, being shouted abuse at or ironically cheered, he wasn't a great player but no where near as bad as was made out, a player who always gave his best, played in numoerous postions and wasn't a minutes trouble (apart from his drink driving ban) out yet fans seemed to postively revel in giving him abuse. Same goes for those who scream abuse and ironically cheer the likes of Pelle, Targett, JWP etc

Yep sums it up for me

Wow. No wonder players want to leave with fans like this. You sound very uneducated using that sort of language.

Wow. No wonder players want to leave with fans like this. You sound very uneducated using that sort of language.

Roger knows irony. One swear doesn't make the whole thing uneducated, it's a well thought-out and argued point.

Saying the right things, but ultimately pretty meaningless unless he signs a new contract.

Not really. Even if he doesn't he is still a Saint until he leaves the club and needs to carry on putting in a shift until then. He knows his best chance of a decent move is to knuckle down and play well for us.

Not really. Even if he doesn't he is still a Saint until he leaves the club and needs to carry on putting in a shift until then. He knows his best chance of a decent move is to knuckle down and play well for us.

And how does that make what he says not meaningless?

'Southampton's Victor Wanyama Wants To Put The Whole Tottenham Situation Behind Him'

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/13804756.Wanyama_wants_to_put_Tottenham_behind_him/?ref=mac

Meh what ever. Not going to boo a player in red and white but Victor showed his character last summer and will be gone next summer any way. As along as he plays well to the end of the season Im not really to bothered what he has to say.

'Southampton's Victor Wanyama Wants To Put The Whole Tottenham Situation Behind Him'

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/13804756.Wanyama_wants_to_put_Tottenham_behind_him/?ref=mac

Pretty easy to have your agent trot out (or write out) these words for you. As Granty says, if he wants to impress me he'd sign a new contract, which at least gives us more leverage if he throws another hissy fit.

Otherwise Turkish is spot on and he acted like a spoilt brat right in the middle of some really important games, and portably did contribute to our emature exit from the Europa Cup.

Pretty easy to have your agent trot out (or write out) these words for you. As Granty says, if he wants to impress me he'd sign a new contract, which at least gives us more leverage if he throws another hissy fit.

Otherwise Turkish is spot on and he acted like a spoilt brat right in the middle of some really important games, and portably did contribute to our emature exit from the Europa Cup.

Isn't it an interview? :S

FWIW I was just linking the article. I'm indifferent about all of it. What do we think the chances of him signing a contract are? Pretty slim, I'd have thought.

Edited by Donatello

It's not unreasonable to want to achieve a substantial pay rise by changing employer. It's what most of us do all through our working life. Where VW did behave badly was in failing to accept that he had tied himself to a contract and that contracts can only be set aside with the agreement of both parties. I agree entirely that whether his statement is honest can be judged on whether he agrees a new contract, assuming the report of a 5-year deal being on offer, is correct. But as fans, we need to accept that footballers have a career of about 10 years and naturally want to maximise their earnings during that period. Unlike us fans, they are not committed to playing for one club for life, whether or not they acquire an emotional attachment for a particular team.

Well said that man. The boo boys of 2004 set of a chain reaction that nearly brought the club to bankruptcy. Utterly selfish behaviour on their part.