Wanyama and the St.Marys crowd ...boo or cheer ?

manina-pub

I hope you have plenty of meds for your condition. Supporting a team is meant to be a leisure activity

My condition for wanting to do the right thing even if emotionally I might feel like doing the other? Not sure I've ever viewed supporting Saints as leisure - a mixture of obsession and duty more like!

I'm going to boo him every time he touches the ball , He cost us a place in Europe I'll never forgive him that!

I understand the sentiment but I think that may be overstating it somewhat. Yes he's a knob but we had enough out there in both legs to get a result. We were just ****house on the night.

I wouldn't boo him, but you've got to be having a laugh if you're going to cheer him.

One of the keys to Schneiderlin's performance last season, by his own admission, was the fans supporting him at Liverpool after his twitter outburst. I see no reason for Wanyama to be different.

Could be a few weeks until "he's a Kenyan..." gets another outing though, unless people just can't help themselves.

Of course not, he wasn't even playing FFS. Even if he had been we needed to score and we didn't. We were just awful. Abject. Dismal. Gutless...
A key player sitting out in such an important game will always be a factor and have a negative impact on the team as a whole though. See Adam Blackmore's comments after the game. Wanyama's actions had a negative impact prior to one of our biggest games in years, and there are people on here who will cheer him :lol:

Spitting the dummy just when the club/fans needed him the most (with our only European spot on a decade hanging by a thread). The guy is a total tosser and I hope we don't see his fat ass on the pitch in a saints shirt again. People comparing it to the Morgan situation are totally incorrect. Morgan got on with it and played brilliantly - Wanyama effectively went on strike. I hope he rots in the ressies until the end of his contract.

A key player sitting out in such an important game will always be a factor and have a negative impact on the team as a whole though. See Adam Blackmore's comments after the game. Wanyama's actions had a negative impact prior to one of our biggest games in years, and there are people on here who will cheer him :lol:

Sorry, but I'm going to cheer on my football team.

Spitting the dummy just when the club/fans needed him the most (with our only European spot on a decade hanging by a thread). The guy is a total tosser and I hope we don't see his fat ass on the pitch in a saints shirt again. People comparing it to the Morgan situation are totally incorrect. Morgan got on with it and played brilliantly - Wanyama effectively went on strike. I hope he rots in the ressies until the end of his contract.

You'll note that Wanyama hasn't had a chance to 'get on with it' since his transfer was (publicly) blocked. Morgan missed games when his head was turned - the only difference is that they were in pre-season. People were calling Schneiderlin all sorts of names on here at the time, but as always the real human beings who show their faces at games were a lot friendlier and cheered him on.

Edited by DuncanRG

If you were a West Brom fan, would you cheer Berahino if/when he plays again for them?

You misunderstand me, I am a West Brom fan. Wanyama has actually turned me against Southampton ;)

(Yes, I would, because he would have had some degree of rehabilitation to be picked again.)

You misunderstand me, I am a West Brom fan. Wanyama has actually turned me against Southampton ;)

(Yes, I would, because he would have had some degree of rehabilitation to be picked again.)

So a player can take the p**s out of your club as much as he wants, you'll cheer him regardless. Fair enough.

If he's trusted to represent us on the pitch by someone who knows him and the club better than me, then yeah. But we're not talking about someone who punched Matt Le Tissier and burnt a picture of Ted Bates, are we?

I wouldn't cheer on an unreprentant and serious criminal, but that's a can of worms I'd rather not open.

Edited by DuncanRG

Make him feel really valued and then he will stay sign a new contract

Yeah good plan.

Aug 6th - Saints fans sang his name non stop for 20 mins in Arnhem probably loudest song of the match.

Aug 30th Wanyama not in right frame of mind to play and wants to leave the club.

I doubt he gives a f$ck what the fans think he's only got his mind on one thing - more dosh for his bank balance.

I won't be cheering him, but felt the same about Schneiderlin after the sheer lack of respect he showed the club in his twitter tantrum.

All the transfer headlines aside, the fact remains that he has been complete dogsh1t so far this season. Ponderous, out of position, dreadful distribution and outrageously poor shooting. Personally I don’t give a sh1t about player loyalty anymore so aint fussed about his antics, but he is miles away from the first team in my opinion and hopefully ron will not just slot him in for the sake of it.

All the transfer headlines aside, the fact remains that he has been complete dogsh1t so far this season. Ponderous, out of position, dreadful distribution and outrageously poor shooting. Personally I don’t give a sh1t about player loyalty anymore so aint fussed about his antics, but he is miles away from the first team in my opinion and hopefully ron will not just slot him in for the sake of it.

Except he hasn't, and he's been excellent other than against Midtjylland at home, even excelling in some games to the point where fans started a new song about him being mighty. He was absolutely bloody superb against Arnhem at home for a start.

Why believe the media hype?

Not everything happens with the drama portrayed in the media you know. Chances are, Vic was incredibly respectful when he put in the transfer request, was polite in conversation about it and, when he was told it wasn't going to happen shrugged his shoulders and got on with it.

Life is not the never ending soap opera the media like to think it is.

He's given an interview where he has clearly stated his intention to get on with things at Southampton for the coming season.

I fail to see why people continue to have a problem with him. Vic is not the problem here, the media are with the way they use words to report a story.

Ffs it's like the way they reported the 'trouble' between us and the skates the last time that lot were allowed up this end of the m27. South Today screamed about a riot and then played a video showing two sets of fans, safely cordoned 50 yards apart by the police and the only thing thrown was a plastic chair which didn't get 10 yards. So they were reduced to shouting and singing at each other. Hardly a riot.

Quite a lot of fans need to get a grip, let it go and get on with supporting the team. If Vic is a part of it, great. If he isn't..... Great. players come and go, some are better than others. On form he is awesome, out of form he is a dead weight just like other players. It happens. Get over it.

Not everything happens with the drama portrayed in the media you know. Chances are, Vic was incredibly respectful when he put in the transfer request, was polite in conversation about it and, when he was told it wasn't going to happen shrugged his shoulders and got on with it.

He's given an interview where he has clearly stated his intention to get on with things at Southampton for the coming season.

I fail to see why people continue to have a problem with him. Vic is not the problem here, the media are with the way they use words to report a story.

Ffs it's like the way they reported the 'trouble' between us and the skates the last time that lot were allowed up this end of the m27. South Today screamed about a riot and then played a video showing two sets of fans, safely cordoned 50 yards apart by the police and the only thing thrown was a plastic chair which didn't get 10 yards. So they were reduced to shouting and singing at each other. Hardly a riot.

Quite a lot of fans need to get a grip, let it go and get on with supporting the team. If Vic is a part of it, great. If he isn't..... Great. players come and go, some are better than others. On form he is awesome, out of form he is a dead weight just like other players. It happens. Get over it.

So why did Wanyama miss games for us?

I'm going to boo him every time he touches the ball , He cost us a place in Europe I'll never forgive him that!

Wasn't he 'ill' besides you can't just say that. Doubt he would of made a difference unless he told the whole team to stop hoofing it and they listened

A well balanced post, remember players aren't fans they are employees just like us.

Before the fans can boo or cheer Victor, he has to get in the team. If Clasie is fit and with Davies and JWP back from international games, Koeman does have alternatives but clearly Vic will get on the pitch sooner or later. When that happens, the fans would hardly be serving the interests of the club by acting in a way that might impair Victor's performance. But this episode has left a bad taste over a player who we all had a lot of time for. Even his statement from Kenya about seeing out this campaign with Southampton left open his options to leave next summer.

Before the fans can boo or cheer Victor, he has to get in the team. If Clasie is fit and with Davies and JWP back from international games, Koeman does have alternatives but clearly Vic will get on the pitch sooner or later. When that happens, the fans would hardly be serving the interests of the club by acting in a way that might impair Victor's performance. But this episode has left a bad taste over a player who we all had a lot of time for. Even his statement from Kenya about seeing out this campaign with Southampton left open his options to leave next summer.

going to stop you right there....

He could have missed games for all sorts of reasons. Ever thought that Clubs drop players from games just in case?

Tbh it doesn't actually matter - Europa is gone this season because the team as a whole allowed a Danish side to sneak an away goal and then time waste ( which the ref didn't deal with properly in both games). Having Vic on the pitch would probably not have changed the result and we won't ever know now so why bother worrying about it?

Regardless of what competitions we are in each season, our first priority is getting safe from relegation (no matter how good the team looks) once we have that, everything else is gravy. One day we will reach a position where we won't even have to worry about that.

Look, this whole episode is done. Just forget about it until the next transfer window. Tbh if he wants to go there's sweet FA you can do about it so I would save your emotion for something important like getting behind the team as a whole.

Fans singling out a player just effects the team as a whole. Never ever boo them. It just makes them play poorly.

Same reason as Schneiderlin did, I'm guessing - just that the Schneiderlin issue arose a month earlier so didn't affect any league matches - we actually did very well to keep him considering there were 3-4 weeks to the transfer deadline when that happened last year. Wanyama's probably been given 2-3 weeks to sort his head out, and that'll be over by the time he's due to return. More importantly he didn't have a summer of building his expectation of leaving like Schneiderlin did, so shouldn't take as long to get over it.

I'm not having this "he's been rubbish" stuff though. He was superb in pre-season and has looked ok when partnered with someone defensive in midfield (as opposed to holding on his own or with S Davis). Tactically he was hung out to dry by the lack of a defensive midfield partner in a few games, and was still good in the second half v Everton when Romeu came on. Both of them were decent at Watford too. So except when he's been our only defensive midfielder (and sometimes even then - Arnhem home), he's been good.

He could have missed games for all sorts of reasons. Ever thought that Clubs drop players from games just in case?

Tbh it doesn't actually matter - Europa is gone this season because the team as a whole allowed a Danish side to sneak an away goal and then time waste ( which the ref didn't deal with properly in both games). Having Vic on the pitch would probably not have changed the result and we won't ever know now so why bother worrying about it?

Regardless of what competitions we are in each season, our first priority is getting safe from relegation (no matter how good the team looks) once we have that, everything else is gravy. One day we will reach a position where we won't even have to worry about that.

Look, this whole episode is done. Just forget about it until the next transfer window. Tbh if he wants to go there's sweet FA you can do about it so I would save your emotion for something important like getting behind the team as a whole.

Fans singling out a player just effects the team as a whole. Never ever boo them. It just makes them play poorly.

Right, but you don't answer my question. Hopefully we'll avoid relegation this year, which will make everything great. If not, we can just blame the media anyway.

He missed that game for one reason.

That reason was explained with direct, specific quotes from the manager of the football club. You can look them up if you like.

Its clear Big Vic is going to come back and try his best to regain his place and then on the pitch, he said the right things in his Kenyan interview.

Time to give him benefit of the doubt and cheer him the same as the other players.

Well said.

I must admit that i was mighty ****ed of by both Saints abject start to the season and Wanyamas **** poor antics. Do i blame Wanyama for our Euro exit? In part yes, his antics almost certainly hurt the preperation of the second leg......but the 11 on the pitch were more than capable of getting a result.

What i have to face is the fact that hardly any of our players if indeed any play for "the club". They play for us because we offered them employment at more than they were previously earning. This kissing the badge stuff makes me sick. Not one of them gives a **** when a bigger pay packet comes knocking. I would almost not have a problem with this if the players were honest.

How many of our current squad do people think really play for "our club" and not the pay packet???

Historically i will say Matt Le Tiss and Frannie bleed red and white, of the current crop Kelvin Davies.....and at a stretch Ward

No, that's the reason Ron gave. Not very clued up on how PR works are you.

Eh?

So this was the reason Koeman gave:

“It’s a difficult situation because Victor mentioned himself that he is not with his mind to the team. He did the training last Friday and, of course, it was so important to play against Norwich with players who are really committed to the team and really focused. The situation with Victor is that he has lost some focus to the team, to the club, and that was the reason why I decided to keep him out of the squad.”

But you're saying this was in fact a PR smokescreen to cover up...er...what? A minor knock? A groin strain? Seems pretty unlikely to me. But hey, you're so "clued up" on PR and stuff.

I kinda think PR works the other way round. Look into it.

Edited by CB Fry