Lallana return?

benali-shorts

I don't like the guy, but he had opportunities to leave right back in league 1. Less revisionism from the fan base as a whole would seriously improve the emotional swings on here.

In my defence I wasn't aware of previous opportunities he had to leave. Would they have been considered as big a step up at the time as a move from Saints to Pool while in the prem (i.e. significantly more money etc...)? As said though it was more the way the move came about and the lack of respect shown to the club that was disappointing more than anything.

Personally I still think he's still a quality player and if he decided that Liverpool wasn't working out and wanted to come back that would be enough for me to be convinced that he had learned his lesson and could again be a useful asset to Saints. If anyone could help him get his head sorted and get him playing to his full potential then it's RoKo.

As for the thought of him going to Spuds, that for me would be worse than anything and is just an extra reason that should he become available we should (cautiously) welcome him back. The thought of him re-discovering his best at Spuds is not a good one!

I understand the anger of many on here, but a lot of that anger comes from a feeling of betrayal and I suspect that for many those feelings come from the fact that he used to be the player we most looked to be our star player. It's a bit like the anger between two lovers having a tiff! Yet, in time, reconciliation is possible and with that could come the possibility for an even better relationship with the club than before!

This is not to say I am not riled every time I see that awful LFC/Nivea advert! That winds me up something chronic!!! Grrrr!

What an odd thread. The first sentence from the OP has no basis. "It's not impossible that ...."

We could debate everything under the sun on that basis.

I apologise that discussions on theoretical situations which are a) feasible, b) saints-related and c) provoke discussion do not qualify as relevant in your forum ideology.

Seems fairly clear that on the hypothetical premise suggested by the OP, most posters wouldn't want this particular player back at Southampton. Personally, I can never see the attraction of re-employing a player who has left. The fact that someone has played for your club before doesn't in itself make them the best choice when a new player is needed. Brighton have done it with Zamora and have yet to discover that he now needs a wheelchair to get from one end of the pitch to the other. If SFC want to recruit an attacking midfield player next season and have a budget of £10m I'm sure there will be better options than yesterday's man.

I apologise that discussions on theoretical situations which are a) feasible, b) saints-related and c) provoke discussion do not qualify as relevant in your forum ideology.

I didn't say it wasn't relevant. Are you raising threads about "what if Pochettino head explodes.." and "It's not impossible that Ian Branfoot may be our next manager"?

Lallana is doing well at Liverpool, so why raise this?

I would assess him in the same way any transfer target should be assessed.

He wouldn't come back even if we did want him. My Mrs works with a member of his close family and there isn't much love for our supporters or the hierarchy at the club. I think this divorce is permanent.

Thats his own bloody fault he was worshiped by the Northam with their Messi song, yes he did take a page in the Echo for his add but that was only in hindsight after he stuck two fingers up to them. I have a family member who works for the club and certain members of the hierarchy have not got a lot of time for him because of his actions, so would I want him back, let me think, NO.

I didn't say it wasn't relevant. Are you raising threads about "what if Pochettino head explodes.." and "It's not impossible that Ian Branfoot may be our next manager"?

Now go and wash your mouth out!

A few colleagues were up at Melwood doing some filming 2 weeks ago and he was one of the players selected to read out a few lines. Apparently he was the most miserable git imaginable and didn't seem happy at all. This was almost certainly due to having to do the filming but I like to think it's because he's realised the mistake he's made and will soon be phased out of the team :)

Is he a good player? Yes. Would I welcome him back? Absolutely not.

Other information on involved LFC players are that Ibe has an IQ of 30, Robbie Fowler appears to be 'partying' quite hard these days, Brendan Rogers is terrifying, and Kolo Toure is an absolute legend and spent a large amount of the day singing and dancing to his own song (I've seen this first hand and it's absolutely brilliant).

a terrifyingly bad manager who believes his own hype????

Probably wouldn't be the best move purely for the mountain he would have to climb to win just even some of the fans back. There would be a hardcore who would never forgive him and be on his back every time he played.

From various comments it sounds like it will never happen anyway and I think that it should probably stay that way.

Very much he made his bed, he can lie in it from me

Wait, so are we desperately blunt and failing in the market for an attacker or are we too good for our best attacking midfielder of the past decade?

(I wouldn't take him back myself, but that's only for the psychological implications of reversing a controversial transfer like that)

I think that Lallana becoming available for transfer is somewhat more likely to occur than your two examples, and due to both its feasibility and the emotiveness the possibility of his return would elicit, I thought it reasonable to explore and discuss. However do feel free to stick to other threads if this one irritates you by not conforming to your online message board ideology. For what it's worth, like you I'd assess him as per any other transfer and if he'd improve the team, I'd get him in. But i appreciate that others feel differently and it's interesting to see the mix of views, and may of course be even more interesting in the future if Lallana ends up leaving Liverpool and the media link him with a return to Saints - hence raising the topic.

Taking the thread's emotion out of it for a moment, let's say hypothetically that Rodgers gets sacked after another trophy-less season and they finish 6th. Lallana is one of a number of players put up for sale and Liverpool would take about half of what they paid Saints for him.

The question to ask is would he then fit Saints seemingly standard criteria had he never played for us previously:

- Age: 28 (apart from Pelle, who may have been vital to securing Koeman, our PL signings have largely been U25 and Boruc a free)

- Resale Value (Low - very likely to decline)

- Wages (High and likely to want a similar level at his next club)

- Fit to team (this would be good, he'd be great in that 10 role with Romeu and a re-energised Victor protecting him)

- Fitness record (Not great so far at Liverpool and was mixed with us at times although played a lot of games pre-PL. Had trouble lasting 90 minutes on a regular basis)

- Attitude (Let's say he'd been at another medium-sized PL outfit before Liverpool bought him. Would Reed and Koeman be impressed by what they heard? Guan hinted that his attitude hadn't been great at end of season review meetings. The Clattenburg incident provided further anecdotal evidence that England recognition hadn't been an entirely positive blessing)

Overall, I couldn't see the club signing a 28 year old player with that profile for £12m with say £90k a week wages, even with the new TV deal. Certainly not based on the last few windows. More likely to sign a Mane, Tadic or Juanmi (if they ever pick the latter).

Regarding ex saints players, the saddest thing I ever saw was Peter Shilton get spat at by kids behind the goal at the Milton end on his return to the Dell with Derby. The second saddest thing I’ve seen was Adam Lallana hang his head whilst getting roundly booed during his substitution last season.

Really no need for it.

He’s one of the best English attacking midfielders. A graduate of our academy. I’d have him back no problem.

Anybody hanging onto to idea of player loyalty is likely to have a serious breakdown over the next few years.

Regarding ex saints players, the saddest thing I ever saw was Peter Shilton get spat at by kids behind the goal at the Milton end on his return to the Dell with Derby. The second saddest thing I’ve seen was Adam Lallana hang his head whilst getting roundly booed during his substitution last season.

Really no need for it.

He’s one of the best English attacking midfielders. A graduate of our academy. I’d have him back no problem.

Anybody hanging onto to idea of player loyalty is likely to have a serious breakdown over the next few years.

Nothing to do with player loyalty, it's been gone over so many times already...

It's not impossible that Lallana may be surplus to requirements and jettisoned by Liverpool at the end of the season. On 2014/15 form, it's unlikely that he'd be pursued by any of the top 6 and that he'd therefore be a target for the rest. Maybe there's too much water under the bridge, however putting emotional instinct aside, would he be a decent footballing target for a Saints return in 2016/17?

I think he'd be a decent buy at c£10m (he'll be 28 in summer 2016), assuming he's acquired some humility and a razor before then.

No thank you - not welcome.

When he signed for Liverpool, a Scouse mate asked me my opinion on how his Anfield career would progress - "Barmby rather than Barnes" was my reply, and I'm sticking by that! He will fade at Liverpool then fade from football, and amen to that! Wouldn't want him back at any cost!

When he signed for Liverpool, a Scouse mate asked me my opinion on how his Anfield career would progress - "Barmby rather than Barnes" was my reply, and I'm sticking by that! He will fade at Liverpool then fade from football, and amen to that! Wouldn't want him back at any cost!

thing is, whilst at liverpool. as long as he makes about 10 appearances a season, he will be a shoe-in for every england squad

Really no need for it.

Agreed. I am not trolling when I say that the vitriol directed at Hoddle when he was close to returning in 2004 was sad. Also, very narrow minded as the club then began its slide into the debacle of relegation. Still, there is a narrow minded vocal minority at most clubs.

Agreed. I am not trolling when I say that the vitriol directed at Hoddle when he was close to returning in 2004 was sad. Also, very narrow minded as the club then began its slide into the debacle of relegation. Still, there is a narrow minded vocal minority at most clubs.

Oh do Fock off with your trolling. There you got what you wanted.

Hoddle the great saviour not employed by anyone as manager for as long as you have been spamming Saints forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad? It was bloody magnificent. We took a stand and made sure that moron didn't get anywhere near our club.

Sad only if you're surname is Hoddle.

thing is, whilst at liverpool. as long as he makes about 10 appearances a season, he will be a shoe-in for every england squad

And they are welcome to one another, Batman! Underachieving Liverpool are pretty much the template for the underachieving FA. Good fit for Lollana!