Premier League Clubs Spend Summer 2015

Dublin Saint

I think Bournemouth might be OK. Clubs moving up to PL need to spend to get better players. Norwich haven't and I suspect they will go down. As for our business, I think I am pretty OK with that, and next on the list - Stoke - I am sure their supporters are pretty happy as well.

We've made a surplus. Good. Well done Saints.

I think we've got the squad to finish mid table and go for it in the cups. Happy days all round.

Well done Les, Ronald and the whole club.

Good window all round I think. Really enjoyed the league last year so dont mind if we use the squad in the cups and try and improve from last year in the league.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

We have had a decent window IMO

I personally agree with this. Not sure who we could have bought that would significantly improved the team without spending a ludicrous amount of money. I hope that Van Dijk flourishes next to Fonte much as both Lovren and Alderweireld did in the past 2 years. Would like to have seen some creativity but again who? Plus we kept 2 players that in the past we could have lost.

Not that there are many strikers out there, and they are vastly over priced, but if Pelle gets injured who do we have? Shlong. I like him a lot, but not as the main stiker to be the main goal scorer. Mané and Jrod could probably do the job I suppose, so maybe it was viewed as unnecessary to get another front man.

We've had a good window IMHO. Two players went who we knew would, one of whom is, again IMHO, almost irreplaceable but we appear to have shopped cleverly and added real depth to the squad.

I fail to understand why some people think just spunking money is a great idea. It ain't and we appear to the p_iss poor at doing BIG transfers. Osvaldo and Gaston as examples.

Again, all IMHO.

Just for you kid.

Look at Norwich. They spent, like, ten million pounds more than we did. I wish we were them I do.

Its Sunderland that gets me frothing at the japs eye. Brought in Coates, lens, Borini and oh how I wish we'd have signed younes Kabul. That's a great transfer window and no mistake. Nett spend of £22m, boom, that's what I'm talking about,

On the assumption we have a decent scouting network, a good manager and cash to spend, we should be able to buy better players. The more you spend, the better players you get.

If we have a surplus I'd like to have brought in a better back up keeper and a creative attacking midfielder.

When you factor in the fact we paid off Osvaldo, have ploughed money into an an expensive training ground, have presumably a high ish wage bill and also poor commercial income relative to other PL clubs (have we improved since Ralph joined?) then its not as easy as just expecting what comes in to go out.

That said it will be interesting to see what we would spend if we ever had a summer window where we didnt raise big money through sales. Club always says we don't financially need to sell but would we still buy?

Just for you kid.

Look at Norwich. They spent, like, ten million pounds more than we did. I wish we were them I do.

So what?

Charitably, I thought you might take a more nuanced position and point out that there may be cases in which a club is selling players that are surplus to requirements -or outright dross- and reinvesting the money in 'good' players. In which case, a club may still be strengthening, even with low net spend through a more efficient allocation of resources. Think Spurs. You might also point out a 3 month snapshot is essentially meaningless.

But in the main, kiddo, there's no better measure to gauge a club's willingness to improve on its position than net spend.

One point you make albeit by association only - have we grown commercially on the non football side - don't want to knock Ralph but we need to start making substantial gains in that area to stop us from just being a club that improves but sells players at a profit to contenders - that will only happen with a substantial increase in non football revenue.

When you factor in the fact we paid off Osvaldo, have ploughed money into an an expensive training ground, have presumably a high ish wage bill and also poor commercial income relative to other PL clubs (have we improved since Ralph joined?) then its not as easy as just expecting what comes in to go out.

That said it will be interesting to see what we would spend if we ever had a summer window where we didnt raise big money through sales. Club always says we don't financially need to sell but would we still buy?

We have had seasons like that quite recently. The one when we signed Osvaldo for a start.

As long as we keep going as we are it's unlikely we will ever have a season where one or two won't go for £XXm. Mane and Wanyama next season and then the season after, maybe our boy Romeu will get a big bucks move. By then we may have all forgotten was derided as the cheap option/bargain basement replacement for Morgan and we can go full on grizzle about how we didn't tie him down to a longer contract.

If it pans out like that, good. It means we're successful. Mane going to Man United next season means hes scored at least ten, maybe fifteen goals. Good.

It feels like it is working great for us right now.

But Sunderland can rest easy in their beds knowing that no big four club is going to poach Jermaine Defoe or Borini. So strong. And what a net spend too. Brilliant. Jolly good for them.

Its Sunderland that gets me frothing at the japs eye. Brought in Coates, lens, Borini and oh how I wish we'd have signed younes Kabul. That's a great transfer window and no mistake. Nett spend of £22m, boom, that's what I'm talking about,

And Ola Toivonen. Ronald Koeman, after losing 3-0 with Feyenoord to PSV in 2012 remarked "One opponent [PSV player Ola Toivonen, since this window Sunderland player] made 8 fouls and nobody got angry. That is not good. In a team you need men like Ola Toivonen to stir up things, in whatever manner. We have, unfortunately, too few of them."

So what?

Charitably, I thought you might take a more nuanced position and point out that there may be cases in which a club is selling players that are surplus to requirements -or outright dross- and reinvesting the money in 'good' players. In which case, a club may still be strengthening, even with low net spend through a more efficient allocation of resources. Think Spurs. You might also point out a 3 month snapshot is essentially meaningless.

But in the main, kiddo, there's no better measure to gauge a club's willingness to improve on its position than net spend.

It's a metric. It's not the only metric, and massively misinterpreted and misused.

We have had seasons like that quite recently. The one when we signed Osvaldo for a start.

As long as we keep going as we are it's unlikely we will ever have a season where one or two won't go for £XXm. Mane and Wanyama next season and then the season after, maybe our boy Romeu will get a big bucks move. By then we may have all forgotten was derided as the cheap option/bargain basement replacement for Morgan and we can go full on grizzle about how we didn't tie him down to a longer contract.

If it pans out like that, good. It means we're successful. Mane going to Man United next season means hes scored at least ten, maybe fifteen goals. Good.

It feels like it is working great for us right now.

But Sunderland can rest easy in their beds knowing that no big four club is going to poach Jermaine Defoe or Borini. So strong. And what a net spend too. Brilliant. Jolly good for them.

Lots of ifs and maybes there. The fact is, your idealistic approach actually trends a fine line and we've had one seasons success to draw upon so far. Our pool of potential 20M-30M players could just as easily diminish in a shortish space of time with only a couple of poor decisions, something we're not immune to.

Using academy products as an example, we've raised a huge amount in the last few years, about £70M in fact. We're not likely to be in a position to get a jump start like that in a hurry as it's much more difficult for players to make it relative to our position now.

http://www.skysports.com/share/9976568

The net spend of all 20 clubs. Worth a read. Apologies if on here already.

It's disgusting. So much money and still you see many games in the PL which aren't worth looking at. Good to hear a Dutch Euro politician saying this has to change as it is killing football: "as the EU we can take measures as limiting the amount of foreign players or to decide that football has to be broadcast on public channels". I don't believe he will succeed but I wish him good luck...

And Ola Toivonen. Ronald Koeman, after losing 3-0 with Feyenoord to PSV in 2012 remarked "One opponent [PSV player Ola Toivonen, since this window Sunderland player] made 8 fouls and nobody got angry. That is not good. In a team you need men like Ola Toivonen to stir up things, in whatever manner. We have, unfortunately, too few of them."

You really don't want Toivonen at your club, he's a real pain in the ass. Good to see some Frenchman hitting him in the right place:

I don't get this ideologistic view that transfer spend has any relativity to success on the pitch! Comparing transfer spend is like comparing houses prices in Scotland to those in central London!

It's a false economy, The mentality that you can buy success is ruining football and contributing to the ridiculous fees and wages we're seeing!

Arsenal have it right in my eyes, but only if it'll improve your squad! The fact we haven't over spent should be seen as a positive!

I don't get this ideologistic view that transfer spend has any relativity to success on the pitch! Comparing transfer spend is like comparing houses prices in Scotland to those in central London!

It's a false economy, The mentality that you can buy success is ruining football and contributing to the ridiculous fees and wages we're seeing!

Arsenal have it right in my eyes, but only if it'll improve your squad! The fact we haven't over spent should be seen as a positive!

How are Man City and Chelsea getting on? The league tables are based 90% on what clubs spend.

Lots of ifs and maybes there. The fact is, your idealistic approach actually trends a fine line and we've had one seasons success to draw upon so far. Our pool of potential 20M-30M players could just as easily diminish in a shortish space of time with only a couple of poor decisions, something we're not immune to.

Using academy products as an example, we've raised a huge amount in the last few years, about £70M in fact. We're not likely to be in a position to get a jump start like that in a hurry as it's much more difficult for players to make it relative to our position now.

Just as many ifs and maybes for clubs with supposedly more "willingness to improve their position" by spunking millions on players fees and wages.

I just don't care if we're seen to have won the transfer window, and when assessing our business, as decent recruitment with a small surplus feels like a brilliant result to me.

And a season with no players wanted by the big four, if it happens as you say, would be a dream scenario right?

And lastly, I've considered the possibility that it might all go terribly wrong and we fall off that "fine line" and end up, gosh, 15th. Or worse. Last season that fate did not befall many clubs that thoroughly beat us in last year's net spend competition. For example Hull, QPR and Newcastle put us to absolute shame with their intent and ambition. No falling off any fine lines for them.

This season I expect to be looking on helpless as ambitious intent-ful Sunderland leave us for dust.

It could have been so different.

So what?

Actually total salary spent on players seems to be the best indicator.

Everyone wanted more depth and this was achieved this window.

You can't use net or gross spend as robust measure they have to be put into context. Afterall the whole time Osvaldo was here our league position improved.

And if it drops at all this year it will be because we let him go.

That is an infinitely more important metric than fu cking net spend, but hey what do I know. Let's sit back and marvel over Sunderland and Norwich's intent to improve their position.

In case you haven't gathered, the two charts are comparing vastly different time periods. Couldnt care less about Sunderland or Norwich's net spend over one window; its net spend over a longer period, though, is another matter.

Ultimately, let's keep things very simple for you, kiddo: on paper, which side would be stronger: one that spent €180 on players or one that spent €180m while keeping the likes of Schneiderlin, Shaw, Lallana, Chamberlain et al.

Not too difficult is, it?

Actually total salary spent on players seems to be the best indicator.

Could well be, though UK sports are very different from US sports with respect to the role of transfer fees and free agency. On one level, I guess they're pretty strongly correlated and clearly more correlated and revealing than gross transfer expenditure. After all, total salary spend automatically makes net adjustments: if a player is sold, he's no longer on the wage bill.

I personally agree with this. Not sure who we could have bought that would significantly improved the team without spending a ludicrous amount of money. I hope that Van Dijk flourishes next to Fonte much as both Lovren and Alderweireld did in the past 2 years. Would like to have seen some creativity but again who? Plus we kept 2 players that in the past we could have lost.

2 that immediately spring to mind are Wijnaldum & Shaqiri who would have been affordable but have instead strengthened our rivals. Particularly Wijnaldum as he is the goal scoring attacking midfielder our side is screaming out for. I was shocked that we didn't go in for him given our dutch connections.

2 that immediately spring to mind are Wijnaldum & Shaqiri who would have been affordable but have instead strengthened our rivals. Particularly Wijnaldum as he is the goal scoring attacking midfielder our side is screaming out for. I was shocked that we didn't go in for him given our dutch connections.

If only we had a goal scoring attacking mid who could pop up with 2 goals in a vital game...

He scored four league goals last season, a strike rate of around 1 in 8.

I'd suggest his brace against Norwich was not going to be a regular occurrence.

He was injured for a chunk of last season and probably not played in his best position. There is no reason why he cant score more goals this season.

thought it was a great window this one. Can see Wanyama, Mane, maybe also one other going next year. No idea why, Just think that a club like Sunderland or Norwich might give 7-8m for Long. I think the rest are either too new, or enjoy being at saints too much, to leave. Forster, Cedric, Bertrand, Clasie, JWP, Romeu, Pelle, Tadic, VVD, Rodriguez will most likely all stay, which would be almost an entire team. I know we'll say that every season and there's always unexpected outgoings, but it was blindingly obvious clyne and morgan would leave. I think the only surprising one was cork, didn't see it happening. I also think clubs like Liverpool and Spurs will be much more reluctant to buy 'club men' like Lambert. He knew saints and the system, and managers knew him, so well that by the time he moved elsewhere, into a fresh way of doing things, it just didn't work.

If we hang onto most of that core, it'll give us the space to make two or three solid, proven signings. We've gone and got ourselves a really good squad, with depth, next season will probably be the one for cashing in on talent like Mane and spending it.

He was injured for a chunk of last season and probably not played in his best position. There is no reason why he cant score more goals this season.

He was injured but he played in his best position for much of the time he was fit. I agree he can score more goals but I don't think it is something that should be assumed. He is not a natural finisher or a real goal threat in my opinion.

He was injured but he played in his best position for much of the time he was fit. I agree he can score more goals but I don't think it is something that should be assumed. He is not a natural finisher or a real goal threat in my opinion.

He is no Frank Lampard but then there aren't many who score as prolifically from midfield. In our purple patch last season goals were coming from all over the pitch. We need to get back to that. If you rely on one or two to score your goals unless one of them is Suarez you are stuffed.