Caulker thoughts so far?

Mr X

Probably on par with Gardos. Wouldn't be too happy with him playing every week but you wont find many better to be our 4th choice CB. Doubt we every planned to keep him permanently.

forgot about Gardos.

as for Caulker, you would think he will play in the Cup next week.

I hope Juanmi does ffs

Fourth choice so really can't complain. Been playing with sh*t for a few years now, he will improve immensely under Koeman and playing/training alongside the defenders at Saints and will probably go on to do well providing he signs for another team with a decent set up - Palace, Stoke, someone like that. If he goes to another relegation threatened team he'll just get sucked back into the cycle again.

Even though he's not as good as Yoshi, I would suggest he's no worse than Gardos and let's not forget that it will take Gardos quite some time to get back to match fitness after he recovers from his injury/surgery. The club probably expect him to move on at the end of the season I would imagine, but who knows, perhaps Gardos may not make it back at the same level and Caulker may be seen as an OK replacement if he's known to the changing room.

A good defender is definitely in there, he just has the look of a battle weary defender who has spent the last 2 seasons in defences that have been under the cosh, so clears the ball in the vain hope that one of his team mates will get hold of the ball and keep it long enough for him to catch his breath.

That said looks a menace in the oppos box when he goes up there.

Full expect us to release his loan once Gardos is fit to be honest.

Maybe so, but I still think it was a good, low risk move by the Saints. We desperately needed some PL experienced depth at CB and we got it. Remember... when we signed him, we had Fonte and Yoshi at CB.. That was it. So in a way it was a bit of relief when we got him, just for depth sake.

As far a Caulker, the player....As it stands now, I don't see much reason to sign him come summer, but he has a year to convince Koeman otherwise. It would be nice if he could step into Fonte's position once Fonte's age becomes a factor and he loses a step, but so far the outlook is mostly cloudy.

Caulker looked spooked by other teams attacking and showed panic clearance signs associated with a beleaguered defender at a relegated club.

What he didn't do was remove that hoof-tendency completely from his game prior to us signing Van Dijk, so unless he's suddenly become a cultured passer from defence he's going to be more of a Gardos replacement than Alderweireld one. He's clearly behind Van Dijk and Fonte, and if he remains a hoof merchant he's not even challenging Yoshida unless we're playing a strong aerial team - as he's clearly better in the air than Yoshida whilst worse on the ground.

His passing was showing some signs of improvement at Watford (at least in terms of choices, if not execution) but he didn't do enough with his opportunity to justify challenging the starting two - though as his preferred side is the same as Fonte's he's probably not competing with Van Dijk anyway.

I do think he's better than Gardos though.

Caulker looked spooked by other teams attacking and showed panic clearance signs associated with a beleaguered defender at a relegated club.

What he didn't do was remove that hoof-tendency completely from his game prior to us signing Van Dijk, so unless he's suddenly become a cultured passer from defence he's going to be more of a Gardos replacement than Alderweireld one. He's clearly behind Van Dijk and Fonte, and if he remains a hoof merchant he's not even challenging Yoshida unless we're playing a strong aerial team - as he's clearly better in the air than Yoshida whilst worse on the ground.

His passing was showing some signs of improvement at Watford (at least in terms of choices, if not execution) but he didn't do enough with his opportunity to justify challenging the starting two - though as his preferred side is the same as Fonte's he's probably not competing with Van Dijk anyway.

I do think he's better than Gardos though.

Yeah this seems a pretty decent assessment. I think he could develop but we'll just have to see. It would be nice to develop an English defender into our side and it would also be great if he could one day replace Fonte.

It would also be cool to have another success story like with Bertrand where there were reservations but then the player really blossomed under us. For sure there are bigger reservations with Caulker, and all of this is the root of being from relegation teams as opposed to Bertrand who was with Chelsea in the CL. However I reckon he could improve and he's under the perfect manager for his position as well.

Still early days but don't see him being anymore than a 3rd/4th CB. I would say that it was a good move in that it enables us to loan out Jack Stephens to get regular first team football but he doesn't appear to be getting that at Middlesborough at the moment!

I wonder what Caulker thinks of us? he must have come expecting a regular first team spot, and he's nowhere near it, nor likely to be unless we have multiple injuries/suspensions (has been known). And if there are multiple injuries and suspensions he is probably only fourth or fifth choice. Good for the club to be so well covered but I should think he is thankful it's only a loan, could be a dead season for him

I wonder what Caulker thinks of us? he must have come expecting a regular first team spot, and he's nowhere near it, nor likely to be unless we have multiple injuries/suspensions (has been known). And if there are multiple injuries and suspensions he is probably only fourth or fifth choice. Good for the club to be so well covered but I should think he is thankful it's only a loan, could be a dead season for him

He'd probably prefer that to the championship with QPR. Clearly we wanted him for the Europa but we crashed out early door so he will get less game time.

He'd probably prefer that to the championship with QPR. Clearly we wanted him for the Europa but we crashed out early door so he will get less game time.

This. We're a bit lumbered with a few Europa makeweight squad-meat signings. Might still help us in the old League Cup though.

Why do you think that?

23rd July - Gardos announced as injured for 6/7 months

29th July - Caulker signs for Saints

He would have signed as the replacement for Gardos as 4th choice centre back and I find it hard to believe the club wouldn't make him aware of that at the time. The club when Gardos signed were chasing van Dijk but had to wait for Celtic to finish their qualifying games.

• 4 weeks later...
Why do you think that?

23rd July - Gardos announced as injured for 6/7 months

29th July - Caulker signs for Saints

He would have signed as the replacement for Gardos as 4th choice centre back and I find it hard to believe the club wouldn't make him aware of that at the time. The club when Gardos signed were chasing van Dijk but had to wait for Celtic to finish their qualifying games.

I am sure Caulker was told (correctly) that he would have the chance to prove that he deserved to start. So far he hasn't done that but I am sure if he started to outshine Yoshida and Fonte in practice he would be given a look in.

Conspicuous by his absence recently.

Maybe this is why?

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/qpr-defender-steven-caulker-fined-10245529

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Doubt it, the offence took place in March. Some time in court today, possibly oneprevious very short hearing. There were rumours a couple of weeks back about something like this. Was it this or another issue more recently?