Gas Fire

the saint in winchester

Anyone know much about gas fires. Old one was taken out as safety check revealed there was a slow leak.

Now looking to get a replacement.

My issue seems to be the height measurement. They all seem to be 585mm height (23"). Our 'hole' (clearly not the technical term) is only 510mm (20") and I can't find a fire to fit. Tried all the usual suspects - B&Q, Homebase, Wickes, ebay, gumtree....

Other than get a standard and saw 3 inches off the bottom/top ...anyone know how to source one?

As a gas engineer we come across this problem fairley regularly, the only solution is to alter the builders opening (Technical term for your hole).

That is assuming you want an inset fire, if its the old fasioned outset the the builders opening doesnt matter as the fire comes with a closure plate.

As a gas engineer we come across this problem fairley regularly, the only solution is to alter the builders opening (Technical term for your hole).

That is assuming you want an inset fire, if its the old fasioned outset the the builders opening doesnt matter as the fire comes with a closure plate.

It was called a "plumber's crack" in my day