Chelsea v Saints build up

vince

This is the game Chelsea bounce back to their top form. Anyone who has followed Saints for 30 years knows the drill.....

Damn you ..... I was trying to suppress that nagging little thought back, like trying to hold in a particulary noxious phart when stood in a queue or in a lift :scared:

Wouldn't surprise me to see a 5-0 win to Chelsea, because as you say ... that's basically just the way it is!!!

However Saints seem to be made of sterner stuff nowadays and I am holding out for a 2-2 draw, although it means Chelsea coming back from 2 down :rolleyes:

I don't agree. Saints are getting better with each game. I think we might sneak a result.

I agree that we are getting better....on our day there should be no sneaking a result, rather it be well deserved. "Worried" that Mourinho's talk about them not being too big to be dropped might actually work and have a reaction against us!

Won't happen but this is the game to drop Pelle. He's just not very good away from home for a start, but at Chelsea they will far prefer dealing with him. Rodriguez, Tadic and Mane up front will have far more movement and trouble a fairly slow defence. Bring Pelle on if we need to go more direct. Then bring on JWP for set pieces too.

Stek

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Wanyama Romeu

Mane Davis Tadic

Rodriguez

I don't think Rodriquez has shown much since his return that he'd be a particular threat to Chelsea, still looks a bit off the pace for me. I'd start Pelle.

I don't get the talk of dropping Pelle, he has 4 goals and 3 assists so far and has been excellent in the last two league games.

Seeing as Chelsea away is the only time we've actually dropped him before (and the MK Dons goals showed we could score without him, albeit against a weak Championship side), I can see why the idea's out there for this one. Mane is the key and Romeu is almost certainly getting a game against his former club as he's got a point to prove and it would be silly not to try and harness that drive, especially when it meets our usual 2 DMs away to top 6 model.

One thing I noticed last weekend, Gomis pulling off to the far post at Swansea's first attack more than vindicated leaving Cedric out in certain matches already. Lucky for us Swansea rarely threatened after that and Gomis didn't get the chance to do it again, but had Swansea managed to get a cross in, it was an absolute no contest. At least Clyne had more height and presence in that situation. I think Cedric needs to watch some video of Evra to work out how to manage this situation - just not Evra's first match for Man U where he got taken to pieces in the air at the back post. :D

I agree that we are getting better....on our day there should be no sneaking a result, rather it be well deserved. "Worried" that Mourinho's talk about them not being too big to be dropped might actually work and have a reaction against us!

I'm more worried about our second half relapses. But I agree that we are getting stronger each week. Chelski beware. This is the week that we start winning away!

Won't happen but this is the game to drop Pelle. He's just not very good away from home for a start, but at Chelsea they will far prefer dealing with him. Rodriguez, Tadic and Mane up front will have far more movement and trouble a fairly slow defence. Bring Pelle on if we need to go more direct. Then bring on JWP for set pieces too.

Stek

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Wanyama Romeu

Mane Davis Tadic

Rodriguez

his away goal return is dreadful

I thought that the talk of dropping Pelle prior to the Swansea game was ridiculous (and despite not scoring, I'd say he was excellent again), but for this one I actually agree with you both.

I think in terms of tactics it wouldn't be a bad idea to simply try and replicate the job we did on them last season. The teams that have caught them out this season are the ones who simply don't bother with the long ball and just try and break fast and with pace.

We played Long in this fixture last year and he and Mane ran them ragged in the first half. Don't think their defence is very mobile so maybe time for a change up front.

although a little more mobile what with a fit and on form Zouma. if terry doesn't play our 'pace' card (Long/Rodriguez/Mane) won't be quite as effective

Chelsea are quality team with quality players and one of the best managers in the world. They are having a bad patch at the moment but it wont last. If they click as a team and not just individually then even a our best we would not win,but if they don't play to their potential we have enough about us to get a result. A little bit of luck wouldn't go amiss either.

----------Stek----------

Cedric-Fonte-VvD-Bertrand

---Wanyama-Romeu----

JWP----Mane----Tadic

----------Pelle----------

If Begovic doesn't keep them in the game and the fullbacks keep Hazard/Pedro quiet then this should be a good result.

Hoping to see Mane terrorize Ivanovic :)

Well, in that line up it would be Tadic terrorizing Ivanović, which I could certainly see happening.

Yep, post #29 is good. :) Terry, Cahill, Zumba, Ivanevic - they're all 6'3"+, so let's not knock high balls in to Pelle. They couldn't handle Long and Mane running around them last time out and I do believe we have the chance to win big this year! I am seriously expecting us to win. Just hope Lawrenson doesn't. :)

I like this from tonight's game

And this had been coming. Brahimi dances into the Chelsea box from the left. He waltzes past a static Ivanovic and looks for the top right. Begovic sticks out a strong arm and saves brilliantly, but it’s all he can do to parry the ball towards Andre Andre on the penalty spot. The man so good they named him twice sweeps a first-time shot into the unguarded net. Poor Ivanovic. A Chelsea legend, but time marches on and this can’t continue.

Begovic keeping Chelsea in this game, all Porto according to Phil Thompson on GSS. Third in their group as it stands with a trip to Kiev up next.

Arsenal equalise, then go behind 50 seconds later. Barca losing at home to Leverkusen and Roma losing at BATE.

Not long until the PL starts losing it's 4th CL spot not good for Arsenal.....

I'll wait for The9, but are we (English teams) in danger of losing a place in Europe anytime soon by the constant underperforming of recent years? (I know this isn't the right thread, but I'm just curious)

To continue the interlude..........

While he is looking up, yes you are correct we will return to 3 places not 4, I think it will be the year after next if the 4 current stumble bums don't get out of the group stage........ The Macaronis have the closest points tally so if the Italian teams make further progress than the English that 4th place become very much under threat.

What will be interesting is what will happen to the usual suspects who inhabit the top 4, their turnover is very reliant on the CL riches.

I know that it's actually shooting ourselves in the foot as english football fans (one less european place and all that), but I am taking a great deal of enjoyment out of seeing chelsea and arsenal being just abysmal in europe. arsenal were comedy last night - Ospina plucking the ball out of the air and then falling back into his own net was gold

Finishing 4th in the PL isn't going to mean a great deal in a few years.

It shouldnt mean anything anyway. It you want to call it a Champions League then it should be for Champions only. Maybe throw in cup winners if you want to bump up the numbers. The rest can play in the Europa games. The European Cup of old meant something. If you won that you were the crème de la crème.

Chelsea are in a mess with big name players either past their best or not performing together as team. Also very susceptible to mistakes. Morale must be rock bottom, both as a team and in the confidence of individuals with the manager blaming everyone but himself. Saints continue to get stronger and after a draw against them at their place only 6 months ago, there is no reason why this one shouldn't be a win. Mane and Tadic should scare their rocky full-backs out of their skins and Pelle will cause plenty of panic.

I know that it's actually shooting ourselves in the foot as english football fans (one less european place and all that), but I am taking a great deal of enjoyment out of seeing chelsea and arsenal being just abysmal in europe. arsenal were comedy last night - Ospina plucking the ball out of the air and then falling back into his own net was gold

I've been starting to wonder if the opposite is true, and have now come round to wanting every English team to lose in Europe. Even though it is bad for us in terms of getting in and progressing, it might shake things up a bit if one of the traditional top clubs suddenly don't have that income and exposure anymore. The league is tightening up every year and fewer CL spots can only help that. I think a lot of the problems with football now stem from the Champions League, and the Premier League has shown in recent seasons that it's not exactly dependent on success in Europe to remain popular.

I know it's counterintuitive to want something that makes it harder for Saints, but in the long term we could (perhaps I'm misguided or quixotic for thinking this) find it easier to finish further up the table without the 'top 4'.

I've been starting to wonder if the opposite is true, and have now come round to wanting every English team to lose in Europe. Even though it is bad for us in terms of getting in and progressing, it might shake things up a bit if one of the traditional top clubs suddenly don't have that income and exposure anymore. The league is tightening up every year and fewer CL spots can only help that. I think a lot of the problems with football now stem from the Champions League, and the Premier League has shown in recent seasons that it's not exactly dependent on success in Europe to remain popular.

I know it's counterintuitive to want something that makes it harder for Saints, but in the long term we could (perhaps I'm misguided or quixotic for thinking this) find it easier to finish further up the table without the 'top 4'.

Their loss of revenue might eventually help to even things out a little, but it would take a few years. If we accept that we've as much chance of making third as fourth then I'm for it. How long before England would lose third place as well?

This.

Lets face it Saints aren't ever going to qualify for the Champions League in 4th spot. As that is the case I hope it does get reduced to three. It always amuses me watching SSN pundits in the studio jumping up and down with excitement over which ever "English" team they have been given the task of commentating on. I for one always like to see ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool or Tottenham lose whomsoever they are playing......

This.

Lets face it Saints aren't ever going to qualify for the Champions League in 4th spot. As that is the case I hope it does get reduced to three. It always amuses me watching SSN pundits in the studio jumping up and down with excitement over which ever "English" team they have been given the task of commentating on. I for one always like to see ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool or Tottenham lose whomsoever they are playing......

Very much approve of the inverted commas around "English" as there isn't very much that is English about most teams in the higher levels of the Premier League, including I'm sad to say, Southampton. At least we still aren't as bad as some, despite our Swiss ownership and Dutch management as we do still have a smattering of English players and the prospects of others through the Academy. But the Big Four have really become foreign football clubs playing in the colours of what used to be English football teams, so how they get on in European competition is of no interest to very many English football fans.

From Squawka

Branislav Ivanovic's game by numbers vs Porto:

10 misplaced passes

10 tackles attempted

1 tackle won

0 aerial duels won

0 crosses completed

We need to be totally in their faces with strong pressing from the kick off. Get a couple of early interceptions in their half/third and put them and the crowd in the back foot.

Would love to see Romeu start, but it might just be too much for him - he does like a tackle, and I doubt he'd last the match. So much as I dilike them in the same team, it has to be JWP and Davis.

To Pelle or not to Pelle? Tough call, but we should go with him - causes an extra headache for the defenders, but will get snuffed out if we don't get plenty of men pressing high.

Stek

Soares

Fonte

Virgil

Betrand

Vic

JWP

Long

Davis

Mane

Pelle

We can play a quick game with Pelle.

What some underestimate is the amount of attention he gets, which should free up time and space around him.

The reason why all too often he hasn't been influential (as opposed to poor) away from home is not down to him but down to the defensive lineup and tactics we have deployed.

Get the ball to him quick, on the deck, runners around him and behind the lines quickly and we can do a job on Chelsea.

Go defensive with an absent midfield and we will get destroyed.

Very much approve of the inverted commas around "English" as there isn't very much that is English about most teams in the higher levels of the Premier League, including I'm sad to say, Southampton. At least we still aren't as bad as some, despite our Swiss ownership and Dutch management as we do still have a smattering of English players and the prospects of others through the Academy. But the Big Four have really become foreign football clubs playing in the colours of what used to be English football teams, so how they get on in European competition is of no interest to very many English football fans.

I can't say I'm too bothered about our largely foreign team because we've done our bit for English youth. We've got Chambers, Shaw, Lallana, Surman, Walcott, Chamberlain and Bale all out there who came from our youth team. The fact that they aren't here now is beyond our control.

If every club put the effort in to youth we did, the Premier League would be flooded with talented English players.