Which other club (or clubs) do you follow?

Professor

I was born in Maidstone so have a soft spot for them and watch maybe 5 of their games a season, mostly away games about an hour drive from here.

Also go and watch Eastleigh a fair bit but I really couldn't give a toss if they win or not. I just like going to live matches.

I was born in Maidstone so have a soft spot for them and watch maybe 5 of their games a season, mostly away games about an hour drive from here.

It's a great time to be a 'Stones fan, their support is on the up and last season was stupidly high for the Ryman Prem! I know this as I go to watch my local club, Dulwich Hamlet, who hosted them in the last game of the season back in April. I went to that game and it was packed solid. Hamlet get really good attendances at that level (average 300 or so, Hamlet get over 1,000) but Maidstone get more than double that; deserved champions. It was nice to see a fair number of them supporting Hamlet at Margate back in May during the playoffs too. Good luck to 'em.

Anyone who slates others for having second teams need to take their heads out of their 'arris, how arrogant. Speaking for myself as an example, it now costs me £30 to get to Southampton & back from here and then there's the ticket price on top. Chuck in premium drink & food prices & you have a day out pushing 3 figures. At Hamlet I pay a tenner in, get the bus there & back, take in a 4 pack of Stella to drink whilst watching the game & on top of that maybe a few cheeky rounds in the Wetherspoons either side of it. That doesn't even breach £25.

On top of this, there's a solid argument for supporting local football wherever you live, making sure the game can still continue to support young players. You don't need me to reel off the countless Premier league stars who have risen through the ranks the hard way. However, Sky are against this. Take Fareham as a perfect example, for instance. A town of about 60,000 people or so and their local club scrape 100 people in if they're lucky, hence they've fallen down the leagues probably never to return. People there would rather sit in front of soccer saturday and whinge that nothing ever happens round there.

It's a great time to be a 'Stones fan, their support is on the up and last season was stupidly high for the Ryman Prem! I know this as I go to watch my local club, Dulwich Hamlet, who hosted them in the last game of the season back in April. I went to that game and it was packed solid. Hamlet get really good attendances at that level (average 300 or so, Hamlet get over 1,000) but Maidstone get more than double that; deserved champions. It was nice to see a fair number of them supporting Hamlet at Margate back in May during the playoffs too. Good luck to 'em.

Dulwich Hamlet were my local team for a few years - I used to go to the gym that overlooks the pitch!

I was literally scrolling down this page thinking to myself, 'Where's Turkish? Where's Turkish? Where's Turkish?!!...Oh, there's Turkish'.

*yawns*

Anyway, Dagenham & Redbridge. I think it has something to do with a save on the old Championship Manager series (yes, that tenuous).

I'm glad you scrolled the thread trying to find me before you decided to post. Especially as you aren't even on my radar. I've posted a lot less recently but its good to know that even those I've never engaged with before on here still keep tabs.

other than that, mostly through watching matches when on travels, I enjoy keeping up with wolfsburg, milan and bizzarely, uganda

I also look out for Uganda's results as I lived there for three years in the late 90s. Guttingly, they always find a way to lose out on qualifying for the African Cup of Nations in the last match. Leyton Orient played a pre-season match in Kampala one year - one supporter travelled!

Nothing says I'm a ***** who knows nothing about football like someone who says "and my second team is......."

I think it's alright if they are non-league , plenty of people must support Saints but go along to Sholing / Eastleigh / Winchester City etc every now and then, or have a foreign club they look out for a go along to every now and then. (even the whole Rangers / Celtic thing where people follow one of those as well)

I think it's alright if they are non-league , plenty of people must support Saints but go along to Sholing / Eastleigh / Winchester City etc every now and then, or have a foreign club they look out for a go along to every now and then. (even the whole Rangers / Celtic thing where people follow one of those as well)

Is I may have mentioned before, Newport County only got themselves back in the league after 25 years to make me look bad. :)

Aldershot. Back in the 1960's I used to work in Alton and used to go to Aldershot mid week (and some Saturday) games. Ex Saints Jimmy Melia, John Sydenham and Gerry Gurr played there for a while at that time.

It wasn't you who punched me in the stomach after Reading played at the Rec was it? Yes I used to support Reading in my youth but they're just another team to me now.Always followed Burnley too - that goes back to the FA Cup Final against Spurs in 1960 I think which Burnley lost - hated Spurs ever since. Would like Bournemouth to do well but not at our expense - and I'm looking for Sheff U results now that Nigel is there.

They are doing pretty well this season in Conference South. Pretty much sell out every week at home and have just extended the main stand to increase attendances. Their 3G pitch is a massive benefit to the club and community.

I was reading an article about Dulwich recently where it stated some supporters don't want them to be promoted and are comfortable with the level they are playing at. Would you say this is true for most fans there? It does all begin to get quite cutthroat one step below the Conference and the money that is needed to stay competitive puts many clubs in a difficult position.

I don't understand why more people don't get out and watch local non league. I'd much rather nip up the road to watch Sholing than sit on the sofa watching Champions League.

Dover

Brighton

Wolves

Ipswich

Charlton

West Brom

Family and friends innit.

I'm not sure that many people follow the results in a way that they once did (talking about my generation .. 'It's sports report...de dum de dum de dum de dum toody a doo te too!' ) That shared collective has gone, Sky rank 'champions league' group tables above Championship/Lge 1/Lge 2 on their app. I can honestly say I am not that aware of Champ/Div1/Div2 results unless I actively seek them out and I would consider myself a football fan of nearly 50 years standing....

One thing I'll never understand is following a foreign club. I don't see the attraction in getting excited about a team playing in a country you'll rarely, if at all, visit.

It's mostly a baseless affinity. I might decide to just support Bayern Munich because they are good and them winning a lot makes me feel good about myself.

I also look out for Uganda's results as I lived there for three years in the late 90s. Guttingly, they always find a way to lose out on qualifying for the African Cup of Nations in the last match. Leyton Orient played a pre-season match in Kampala one year - one supporter travelled!

ha excellent story - great to hear!

I was there for work last summer and left in december...managed to watch the ghana afcon qualifier where they won 1-0...was a cracking atmosphere. shame they didn't keep the form to the end of the qualifiers as you say

its a great, great place

I keep an eye on the sholing and eastleigh results as local non league teams. It's nice to see them do well, in the same way I like to see the cherries do well.

But I don't support anyone apart from saints (well maybe the team that are playing Pompey)

Personally I don't get having a second club on the whole, especially not the follow a big club thing some people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only Saints - no choice it just was. It became far more profound when I had to move away from Southampton - it wasn't just about the team any more but it felt more tribal, a way to hold onto my roots.

Genuinely don't care about any other team which makes watching other games pleasurable as I don't have the insane investment in it.

That said - possibly Dibden Metros

ha excellent story - great to hear!

I was there for work last summer and left in december...managed to watch the ghana afcon qualifier where they won 1-0...was a cracking atmosphere. shame they didn't keep the form to the end of the qualifiers as you say

its a great, great place

Never did get to see the national time play but I'll always be able to say 'I was there when Kampala City Council won their last match to clinch the National League title!'

Indeed a great place.

Think a couple of silly people are getting a bit precious. It didn't ask how many clubs you support or are a fan of. It asked who you follow. I follow my local team here, there's no conflict there. It gives me an interest in actually going to matches. They aren't the team I support, but it would be a bit odd to tell people I never looked at football here because I support saints. I suppose I only do it because I know nothing about football.

'ffs'

I'm another who follows Yeovil Town, and was also mascot for them when they played against Nuneaton Borough back in 2001/2002, If my memory serves me correctly!

Warren Patmore was a non-league legend in those parts at that time...

It's Margate for me, mentioned it on similar threads before. Born and raised in Kent, moved to Winchester in 1995 and my obsession with Saints began then. Quite enjoyed reading the affection for Maidstone and Dulwich Hamlet previously, it was one hell of a season in the Ryman prem last year, looking forward to Margate getting back to conference national level..... Albeit with some funding behind them now! Not that the season has begun very well.

Also follow Winchester City, so easy to get to from Kings Worthy, great walk along the river.

Torquay and Exeter, local teams since I moved here. Would like to see Plymouth go up but wasn't the most friendly away game in 2011 (although they were relegated as we went up and were in real danger of going bust). Torquay are having our equivalent of 08/09 with bells on at the moment, in Conference relegation zone at present and I was there to see them getting spanked 7-3 at home by part-time Bromley (owned and managed by a certain Mark Goldman - remember him?). Not sure the consortia there know exactly what they are doing yet - although well meaning - and fans of other Devon clubs coming to their midweek games to help keep them going.

Plainmoor is walkable from my house and I also go to Exeter, including their opening day 3-2 victory over Yeovil (who won't have pleased some on this thread). Tisdale's teams generally play decent stuff and nice to watch Ryan Harley again.

Lovely though to get to my first home Saints game of the season v Swansea and looking forward to Leicester, Saints are always my priority.

Nothing says I'm a ***** who knows nothing about football like someone who says "and my second team is......."

In that case you could simply have ignored the thread since it was clearly going to be populated with ***** who know nothing about football :rolleyes: