Sadio Mane

max_saints

Always been a Mane fan but I remember reading this article ( http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/09/southampton-sadio-mane-senegal-golden-generation?CMP=twt_gu ) and thinking 'steady on, big talk' but the more we see from him the more I genuinely believe he is destined for the very top!

"Today we talk about Messi and Neymar but honestly I don’t think these players are as good as Sadio Mané."

Next year's TV deal has the potential to change football.

Clubs like Saints will comfortably be able to offer big wages to keep their best players. Only those that actually want to play Champions League might leave.

It won't change anything in that regard. Mane is only going to leave us for the usual English suspects, who will still be richer than we are.

New TV deal or not, if Manchester City or United want Mane next summer then it's very likely he'll go.

Yes De Bruyne has played in the CL and Mane will in the future, De Bruyne played for Genk until 2012 so he is not homegrown and who's to say Mane won't be like this all season and be one of the standout performers (in England only those who play for the media favoured teams win POTY, Germans are a bit more open minded). Mane is tearing up defences, he is fast, he's creative, he plays for the team, he is scoring goals. That's a player who commands a very high fee yes?

Not 100% sure but I think Mane has already played Champions league with Red Bull after they won the Austrian Championship in 12/13? Alps would know as our resident Austrian!

Not 100% sure but I think Mane has already played Champions league with Red Bull after they won the Austrian Championship in 12/13? Alps would know as our resident Austrian!

They went out in the 3rd Qual Round (where they entered) to Fenerbahce, so if he did play he didnt get much of a run.

It won't change anything in that regard. Mane is only going to leave us for the usual English suspects, who will still be richer than we are.

New TV deal or not, if Manchester City or United want Mane next summer then it's very likely he'll go.

I have to agree with you. My concern is we don't lose him as early as January, unless we are safe by then.

What I would like to know what exactly is the 5 year strategy of the club. So far, it's fairly obvious, you invest in players with potential, buy them inexpensively, watch them grow, sell them for a profit, reinvest that into the team, build a stronger team. That's GREAT! Good strategy. However..

What do you do at the point where you hit the ceiling with this strategy and are merely treading water? This strategy gets you comfortably as a Top 10 club every year, but not really a Top 4 contender. What next?

So, a scenario....Is Mane worth more to the club if he fulfills his 4 year contract, but you lose £40m by not selling him, and he moves on? Do you achieve more by keeping him Saint for the full 4 years or do you achieve more by selling him when his value is at his highest?

What if having Mane on the team those 4 years enables the Club to win 2 trophies and earns a Top 4 spot? Is losing that £40m worth it? Are the 2 trophies worth more than £40m? Does going for it hurt the club in the long run? Do the trophies and CL provide more cache for the club and attract better players?

All interesting questions, but at some point you have to keep your best players on the team to reap the rewards. If not, it is just an endless cycle and you spend years spinning your wheels but not going anywhere.

This doesn't even factor in what other motivations the Board might have beyond football: ie: guarantee the organization is a profitable venture, the brand, etc.

I guess that is why they pay Ralph and Les the big bucks - to figure it all out.

What I would like to know what exactly is the 5 year strategy of the club. So far, it's fairly obvious, you invest in players with potential, buy them inexpensively, watch them grow, sell them for a profit, reinvest that into the team, build a stronger team. That's GREAT! Good strategy. However..

What do you do at the point where you hit the ceiling with this strategy and are merely treading water? This strategy gets you comfortably as a Top 10 club every year, but not really a Top 4 contender. What next?

So, a scenario....Is Mane worth more to the club if he fulfills his 4 year contract, but you lose £40m by not selling him, and he moves on? Do you achieve more by keeping him Saint for the full 4 years or do you achieve more by selling him when his value is at his highest?

What if having Mane on the team those 4 years enables the Club to win 2 trophies and earns a Top 4 spot? Is losing that £40m worth it? Are the 2 trophies worth more than £40m? Does going for it hurt the club in the long run? Do the trophies and CL provide more cache for the club and attract better players?

All interesting questions, but at some point you have to keep your best players on the team to reap the rewards. If not, it is just an endless cycle and you spend years spinning your wheels but not going anywhere.

This doesn't even factor in what other motivations the Board might have beyond football: ie: guarantee the organization is a profitable venture, the brand, etc.

I guess that is why they pay Ralph and Les the big bucks - to figure it all out.

I am not sure success on the field on the field is as important as financial success so I think they will cash in

For success a club needs a huge fanbase and that fanbase spending money to pay massive wages SFC just dont have it so will never able to perform at the really top levellevel

I have to agree with you. My concern is we don't lose him as early as January, unless we are safe by then.

He wont go in January but I think we would all be surprised if he doesn't go next summer. What are we supposed to do though? Buy crap players who no one else wants to buy? We are victims of our own success (as every club our size are when the "big" clubs want our players). Palace are this years Southampton and they will have the same problems if they keep this level of form up.

Lesser had it right - we are a showcase club hoping to make an occasional transition to winning trophies and qualifying for EL or CL football.

There isn't one of the "big six" that would have signed Mane when we did. His first games for us he looked almost comical at times but we had recognised his potential and over time he has delivered a massive improvement. The "big six" want players that are proven at a level not gambles where they have to invest time and resource.

It seems that our model has us selling when there is between 1 - 2 years left on the contract so if someone wants the player earlier there will be compelling reasons and a price tag to match

Okay- but what if with that £40million- we find 3/4 Sadio Mane's? Then it would be worth it- mind you- it'll require brilliant scouting!

Sadly, not a lot else. That's football in the Financial Fair Play era really.

I thought De Bruyne is classed as home grown due to his 'time' owned by chelsea???

He transferred from Gent to Chelsea in the January 2012 transfer window at age 20. He is home grown in Belgium and club trained at Gent.

Funnily enough, that was more or less what the BBC said about Liverpool's strategy..

They sought value, often in young and unproven players who could be considered versatile - although in many cases jacks of all trades who were masters of none. ..... By targeting potential rather than the finished product, Liverpool have tried to navigate a route around a transfer system that can simply not be circumnavigated.

In fairness the strategy is pretty clear.

We aren't going to spend big to crack the top 4. Not going to happen under this regime.

If finishing in the top ten of the Premier League for, say, ten straight seasons is "treading water" and "spinning your wheels not going anywhere" then yeah, I'll happily tread water and spin my wheels. Ask a Sheffield Wednesday fan, or a Forest fan, or Derby, or QPR, Sheffield United, Leeds etc whether they could possibly stomach "spinning their wheels not going anywhere" like we are. I think they'd take it.

Mane will go once we receive a sizable bid from a top 4 club, and Mane says he wants to go. We then try and bring in the next Mane.

That's pretty much the size of it. Get used to it because it isn't going to be any different any time soon.

Amazing player I love to watch him he just scares the **** out of defences, I don't think we've ever had a player like that in our history

Danny Wallace? Steve Moran was no mug either, both had pace, and that's the determining factor which makes Mane stand out in this era. Agree that he scares defenders absolutely ****less though.

Mady Toure's Generation Foot is where the next Mane will emerge from, and I trust Saints will already be monitoring this amazing Senegal academy. Why send them to France and Austria when we have the better facilities and proven record for progressing brilliant young footballers to the top.

Mady Toure's Generation Foot is where the next Mane will emerge from, and I trust Saints will already be monitoring this amazing Senegal academy. Why send them to France and Austria when we have the better facilities and proven record for progressing brilliant young footballers to the top.

We're probably not a big enough club to play the 'exceptional talent' card for kids in front of a work tribunal.

There is no way that Mane will allow himself to be saddled with four years at Saints (even if we win trophies). Salzburg couldn't keep him and that is how Saints came to sign him.

There is no way that Mane will allow himself to be saddled with four years at Saints (even if we win trophies). Salzburg couldn't keep him and that is how Saints came to sign him.

Well its a bit late for that. He signed a four year contract so the club could force him to be saddled with four years at saints.......the club won't do that of course because its not the way we roll. He will be sold for twice what ee paid for him next summer.

Well its a bit late for that. He signed a four year contract so the club could force him to be saddled with four years at saints.......the club won't do that of course because its not the way we roll. He will be sold for twice what ee paid for him next summer.

a lot more I bloody well hope

I think its exciting. We will never be a top four club because of fan base and income. just wont happen.

We will have bad seasons and great seasons depending on what young potential we can bring in.

Sadio is a perfect example. He will sell for £40m+. And while we have him we will do well at the club.

VVD is another one. Schneiderlin.

Any one of that quality will ultimately leave. Koeman is a young manager, he will go to a big club, but while we have him we will do well.

We are one of those teams that floats in the shallows between top 4 and 10th, developing the worlds best players and getting our moneys worth while we do it. Top class scouting, top class youh development, top class facilities. We attract the stars of the future. We just need to be better at this game than other teams who are forced to do the same.

Like CB says "Get used to it because it isn't going to be any different any time soon"

We should certainly look to offer him an improved contract if it's within our budget but we will never be able to offer him the same money as one of the big clubs.

Of course not, but we should tie him down long term now while he's happy and then we have security of a huge fee this/next summer.

If we sell Mane for only 22 mil I will be ****ed.

I always thought Steve Moran was deceptively slow ;)

He was one of those who didn't have raw 100m pace, Wallace more so but he was 4m quick running off the shoulder of the defender. John Sydenham was quick as was Mick Channon especially in the earlier part of his career.

Really? if I got double what I paid for something 2 years later I'd be pretty happy. I'm sure the club will rinse every penny but I really can't see Mane going for more than 25 million max.

He will be north of £30m. Has made a big impact, is young, with high potential and the PL is just about to be flooded with even more cash.

Guess we will see but Man U fans

went into melt down when they were linked with him last summer because he isn't a big name signing.

They've warmed to the idea. I had a look on redcafe.net over the weekend and they want Mane in January FFS.

He's a world-beater all of a sudden and they are drooling over a front three of Martial, Memphis and Mane.

Cockroaches the lot of them.