Whats been our best result since being promoted?

CumbrianSaint

Completley forgot a result thats very personal to me, beating Newcastle 4-1 the day my grandma died, shed been a season ticket holder for over 40 years, and had to stop going when we moved out of the Dell to Saint Marys as it was just a bit too far for her to go(my grandad still lives in the house that would have overlooked the Dell), sounds a bit silly but it felt like Saints delivered the result just for her

Think yesterday was just about as good as it has got so far.

Given we should also have had 2 penalties and Tadic should have scored as well, it could easily have equalled our 6-2 victory at the Bridge from 1967 (Davies (4), Chivers (2), Osgood (2, but for Chelsea))

Edited by VectisSaint

Think yesterday was just about as good as it has got so far.

Given we should also have had 2 penalties and Tadic should have scored as well, it could easily have equalled our 6-2 victory at the Bridge from 1967 (Davies (4), Chivers (2), Osgood (2, but for Chelsea))

Ah !.those were the days, but we have to say that Chelsea weren't the multi-million pound club they are today.. and didn't have " The Special One " as their manager.:smug:

I think the City game where we went into it as cannon fodder and had all those mega bucks players looking at each other, and the manager, 1st half not knowing what to do as we hit them with a tornado, Gareth Barry getting sucked right up in the funnel with a lovely finish. That thought brought a smile to my face as standing on the concourse chatting with friends pre match someone asked A general question of what the result would be, when 2 of us said we would win everyone looked at us like we had just come out of the funny farm.

Sunderland was special as they were beaten but we kept our foot on their throat and ripped them apart, just like Villa, yesterday was very good in a similar way, they are in a dark place right now and we ruthlessly exploited that without mercy.

Ah !.those were the days, but we have to say that Chelsea weren't the multi-million pound club they are today.. and didn't have " The Special One " as their manager.:smug:

Yes Chelsea were certainly 3rd if not 4th best in London in those days behind the likes of Arsenal Spurs and even possibly Westham (Moore Hurst etc.) never mind Man U Leeds Liverpool Derby Notts Forest and Everton. They are the Manchester City of London following the Ambramovitch millions invested in them. that took them from a top 12 club to the top 3 or 4. So this win is certainly the more impressive !

I think the City game where we went into it as cannon fodder and had all those mega bucks players looking at each other, and the manager, 1st half not knowing what to do as we hit them with a tornado, Gareth Barry getting sucked right up in the funnel with a lovely finish. That thought brought a smile to my face as standing on the concourse chatting with friends pre match someone asked A general question of what the result would be, when 2 of us said we would win everyone looked at us like we had just come out of the funny farm.

Sunderland was special as they were beaten but we kept our foot on their throat and ripped them apart, just like Villa, yesterday was very good in a similar way, they are in a dark place right now and we ruthlessly exploited that without mercy.

-they may recover some of their glory, but not just yet, and it may do them some good to be seen as an Ordinary Prem.Club .even if they have a "Special manager" ...

Tommy Docherty was manager at the time, he was quite special (and at least is not a arrogant **** like the current incumbent). Dave Sexton took over soon after and was in charge when they won 5-3 at The Dell later in the season (Jan 1968 - my first Saints game).

I think the 8-0 was the one that really blew my mind. Sometimes smaller teams catch the big boys with their pants down, like we did yesterday and at Old Trafford but nobody else has pulled off an 8 goal win since that Spurs/Wigan game. It's once every 10 years stuff, so that gets it for me.

Yesterday a close second

OT third

Beating City at home 3-1

Beating Liverpool at Anfield

Beating them at St Mary's

6-1 against Villa

2-0 against Arsenal on NYD

Pulping Sunderland was great but honestly last night was probably the best.

OK the Chelsea players are having a wobble but they are still a class team and will pull it back - for us to go there, lock horns and end up outplaying them was outstanding.

Shame that there's another international break now - last night would have given us some real momentum.

I think possibly the 3-1 win over Man City at home. Our first season back in the Prem, it had been a frustrating start after losing 8 out of our first 10 games. After that we drew a lot, lost a few, beat QPR, Newcastle, Reading and Villa, but then came the English champions on a crisp February night... And we smashed them. That evening for me felt so special, probably because I'd had a few beers beforehand, but on the way home I kept saying that I couldn't believe we'd just torn the English champions a new one. League One was not a distant memory, to see us down there and then to see us back in the Prem beating a team like Man City was a great feeling.

So many games to pick from since we've been promoted back to the Premier League, I think my personal favourite was either the 4-1 against Villa soon after being promoted or beating City 3-1 when they were challenging for the title

Yesterday's was probably the best, Man U away 1-0 was good but they weren't Champions and were in a slump, Man City win at home and Arsenal win on NYD this year were also both at home and whilst impressive not AS impressive - this Chelsea side had only lost once at home in the Prem under Mourinho at the start of the season. Sticking 8 on Sunderland was remarkable but mainly because they were bad, and beating a crappy Villa side 4-1 isn't even in the same hemisphere.

Under Koeman we've won at Old Trafford, Stamford bridge and the Emirates and won 8-0 and 6-1 at home in less than a year. Despite all the moaning on here it puts into perspective what an amaZing job he's done to not know rebuild the team but produce results like that.

I'd go for the 0-1 against United at Old Trafford.

At the time, United were actually in good form (If I remember rightly they were top of the form table over the most recent 10 matches or so) and many were expecting them to kick on.

To win and overtake them really made people sit up and take notice. I remember seeing tonnes of posts on other football forums saying words to the effect of "Jesus...Southampton really aren't ****ing around are they...they really could finish top 4 :scared: ".

Yesterday was a beauty but the only thing is that I think there's a real chance Chelsea could end up finishing outside the top four. I'm sorry to say I think a lot of teams are going to beat that Chelsea side and when you've got so many eggs in one basket with Mourinho's all-or-nothing approach we could end up being one of many teams to beat them comfortably (I mean hell, Swansea and Palace have gotten results at Stamford Bridge as well as us already).

Under Koeman we've won at Old Trafford, Stamford bridge and the Emirates and won 8-0 and 6-1 at home in less than a year. Despite all the moaning on here it puts into perspective what an amaZing job he's done to not know rebuild the team but produce results like that.

Yeah stfu with your moaning you miserable *****.

8-0, you don't get more points for beating a good side and it was f#cking hilarious . I was literally almost crying with joy/laughter watching the game, it was amazing. The 6-1 against Villa would come second for me, similarly I was just laughing at how awesome it was scoring every time I sat back down. Can't comment on the Chelsea game because I missed it but nothing beats the fun factor of absolutely battering another team.

8-0, you don't get more points for beating a good side and it was f#cking hilarious . I was literally almost crying with joy/laughter watching the game, it was amazing. The 6-1 against Villa would come second for me, similarly I was just laughing at how awesome it was scoring every time I sat back down. Can't comment on the Chelsea game because I missed it but nothing beats the fun factor of absolutely battering another team.

Literally almost were ya

So many games to pick from since we've been promoted back to the Premier League, I think my personal favourite was either the 4-1 against Villa soon after being promoted or beating City 3-1 when they were challenging for the title

The 4-1 was my favourite - it was the day my daughter was born and watching MoTD that evening was the best finish to an outstanding day.

Tough call, probably not yesterday because I kinda predicted it and there was a feeling we could win that one. I said 3-1 was more than doable with Chelseas form and backroom dramas and if we replicated the swansea games determination and team work, I just wish i'd put my money where my mouth was.

Im gonna have to go with others on the Sunderland smashing, with Man Utd close second (Avoiding being biased because i was lucky enough to be there and it was cracking atmosphere.)

If we manage to beat Tottenham away by a margin of two goals, it will undoubtedly go straight to the top of mine and many other peoples list.

Favourite regular opponent of the season as a separate question? I love it every time newcastle come down to us, always got a feeling we are going to smash them and their fans reactions are priceless.

Saturday, last season's win at OT and the 8-0 against Sunderland. I really enjoyed the League Cup win at Arsenal too. Interesting how Koeman's been in charge for all of them. I'm not saying we didn't have great results under Poch and Adkins but those four topped them all.

I think if I had to pick one, I'd go with the 8-0. That was something very, very special. You only get a result like that for any team once every 3-4 years and it may never happen to us again. I can be pretty confident that unless the world ends in the next few years, we WILL go to the defending Champions and win again and we WILL win at Old Trafford again at some point.

Saturday, last season's win at OT and the 8-0 against Sunderland. I really enjoyed the League Cup win at Arsenal too. Interesting how Koeman's been in charge for all of them. I'm not saying we didn't have great results under Poch and Adkins but those four topped them all.

I think if I had to pick one, I'd go with the 8-0. That was something very, very special. You only get a result like that for any team once every 3-4 years and it may never happen to us again. I can be pretty confident that unless the world ends in the next few years, we WILL go to the defending Champions and win again and we WILL win at Old Trafford again at some point.

Isn't that the first time we've ever beaten the defending champions away?