SAINTS vs Leicester Build Up Thread

nta786

Just under two weeks to go then- having beaten Chelsea 3-1 at Stamford Bridge! :D

Let's hope our players return unscathed over the international period.

Team for me:

Stekelenburg

Cedric-Fonte-Van Dijk-Bertrand

Davis-Wanyama

Tadic-Mane-JWP

Pelle

However might consider swapping JWP for Jay Rodriguez- or even starting Clasie in place of JWP if hes available.

No matter what people say about JWP/Davis goal return, I like the pair- though sometimes it really is one or the other.

Bench: Kelvin, Yoshida, (Martina/Caulker), Clasie, Jay Rodriguez, Juanmi, Long

I've had to leave Romeu out lol- what a problem to have with such a solid squad!

Prediction: 2-1, with Mane opening the scoring, followed by a Mahrez/Vardy goal and Pelle to score a late winner :D

Edited by nta786

Leicester have started the season well under Ranieri, Vardy has proved he's not just a non-League striker getting lucky, and a couple of their additions in the summer are proving decent acquisitions. Mahrez has been on fire, but was cleverly rested against Norwich so he'll be fit and ready to impress against us, and Schlupp will keep Soares busy. All in all, they're a decent team this season who should have no worries over relegation.

However...

We're finally bang in form, the front 3 are looking world class at present and we've finally got the defence fully fit and settled. I can see this being an entertaining goal laden game, but ultimately we'll be too strong for Leicester. 3 more points on the board for the Saints, and a poor start to the season but a distant memory. Going for 4-2 Saints, a Mané double, Pellè getting one and a Fonte header from a corner.

be a very good game, they are a good side and play nice football.

Vardy is proving to be a very good striker.

Stek

Cedric

Fonte

VvD

Bertrand

Vic

JWP

Davis

Mane

Pelle

Tadic

Davis, Yoshida, Rom, Clasie, Juanmi, Long, Rodriguez

Will be very difficult game against a side looking very dangerous & have only lost once all season. Lots of pace & power and will look to cause us big problems on the counter attack. Vardy / Mahrez / Schlupp will have to be dealt with.

Only Man City have scored more goals than them in the Prem this season - but they have let in 15 goals.

Fingers crossed all our players come back fit.

They're a very average side in very good form. Vardy looks decent, be interesting to see if he can keep it up. But there are some really average to poor players still in the side

I think this being quite naïve to be honest.

They ended last season well, have started this season well and have a good side with pace going forward that will trouble most teams.

Certainly a miles better team than a few we have failed to beat this season: Newcastle, WBA, Watford especially.

I can't make this one unfortunately as it looks to be an intriguing match against one of the surprise packages of the season. A pleasant surprise I would add.

I've only missed two home league games in the last two seasons but they were the 4-1 win against Hull and the famous 8-0 against Sunderland (I know!) - so purely based on that.. you are in for goals!

Saints 3 - 2 Leicester.

Stek

Cedric

Fonte

VvD

Bertrand

Vic

Romeu

Mane

Davis

Tadic

Basically, unchanged. Need a stone wall (Victor, Romeu) from the start when they do their Charge of the Light Brigade start to the game. As long as we are on top, then we can take Romeu off and experiment with JWP, or JayRod or even Juanmi.

If all on international duty return fit, I'd agree with an unchanged starting XI but maybe a little over-confident to play with only 10 so let's add Pelle.

That's not good as I doubt he'll start if he gets back that late. This game could see us move right up the table with three points and Mane starting is a must.

Quite ridiculous that there is such a long break and then some matches are played that close to the weekend.

If they do have a game Thursday then he will do well to make the squad, zero chance of starting XI.

Quite ridiculous that there is such a long break and then some matches are played that close to the weekend.

If they do have a game Thursday then he will do well to make the squad, zero chance of starting XI.

Fear not.

According to Soccerway they are playing a friendly on Tuesday 13th in Algeria and then the 15th and 22nd home and away against Guinea in the African Nations Championship. This competition is for players from their domestic leagues.

I think this being quite naïve to be honest.

They ended last season well, have started this season well and have a good side with pace going forward that will trouble most teams.

Certainly a miles better team than a few we have failed to beat this season: Newcastle, WBA, Watford especially.

Er, 3 away matches as opposed to a home match.

Three big wins on the bounce and you would settle for a draw?

not for me as I want a win only to make it an exciting charge up the table.

Especially as the two games following this are a very beatable Liverpool and Bournemouth! With the Villa League Cup game sandwiched in the middle, this could be a very good month for SFC. I'm hoping the Klippity Klopp revolution of Liverpool won't have taken effect fully by their game against us.

I fear for Pelle's health after facing my national squad :/

Our central defenders are in great shape(much better than Cahill/Terry anyway)

and Italy will for sure use Graziano to break us down. He is the only central striker they got who can beat us with confidence in the air.

Hopefully he will return to Soton unscathed..its gonna be a knuckle-match where Norway fights for a top-2 spot in the group

after pretty sensationally beating Croatia at home

Stek

Cedric

Fonte

VvD

Bertrand

Vic

Romeu

Mane

Davis

Tadic

Basically, unchanged. Need a stone wall (Victor, Romeu) from the start when they do their Charge of the Light Brigade start to the game. As long as we are on top, then we can take Romeu off and experiment with JWP, or JayRod or even Juanmi.

Mmm....I think I'd like Pelle in that line-up too, or are you anticipating that we will be playing the game with 10 men ? :blush:

Yes, back in 2012, and I wish we had signed him when it looked like we would:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?35473-saints-to-win-race-to-sign-Jamie-Vardy&highlight=vardy

Mmmm....January 2012, we were still Championship then, and Rickie Lambert and Guly had been scoring for fun up until New Year....we bought Billy Sharp instead.

In hindsight Vardy would have been a good buy, but Billy's relatively short Saints' career was fruitful enough to get us promoted that season when Rickie had a "dry spell".

After promotion we spent really big money on Jay Rodriguez ( :D) and Gaston Ramirez (:blush:)

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC · 21m21 minutes ago

Fewer than 1,000 tickets remain for #SaintsFC's next #BPL home game against #LCFC!

that is good going, especially as Leicester returned block 43 for sale if it hadn't been for that the home end would virtually be sold out now. This will easily sell out, should be a cracking game going on the form of both sides.

Leicester have sold out their allocation of 2,653

http://www.lcfc.com/tickets/away_tickets/

Senegal play Tuesday and Thursday next week, so Mane might only make the bench for Leicester.

Senegal then play midweek a few days later, just before Liverpool. And again the day after we play Sunderland in November. Hopefully the club make some sort of agreement about only releasing him for one of those games.

Senegal play Tuesday and Thursday next week, so Mane might only make the bench for Leicester.

Senegal then play midweek a few days later, just before Liverpool. And again the day after we play Sunderland in November. Hopefully the club make some sort of agreement about only releasing him for one of those games.

Those aren't proper international dates in the calendar, so if the friendlies with Guinea on 16th and 23rd October are going ahead then I very much doubt Mane will be playing in them so close to a Premier League game.

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=sen/index.html

I refer Sir to post no.19.

Fear not.

According to Soccerway they are playing a friendly on Tuesday 13th in Algeria and then the 15th and 22nd home and away against Guinea in the African Nations Championship. This competition is for players from their domestic leagues.

I wonder what our record is like after an international week?

Can't help thinking the preparation is not good when they have two days together compared to Leicester who have a couple of players away.

For couple read ten

Hey! We've got a game this week. :o

The ref is Paul Tierney. Never heard of him? Me neither.

A quick check shows that he has never reffed us before and this is only his 3rd Premier match. He did the Watford v West Brom game in August and Swansea v West Brom last season.

A new figure of hate, no doubt. However, having watched Eastleigh's last 2 home games and seen the reffing standards there, we can count our blessings.

A quick check shows that he has never reffed us before and this is only his 3rd Premier match. He did the Watford v West Brom game in August and Swansea v West Brom last season.

A new figure of hate, no doubt. However, having watched Eastleigh's last 2 home games and seen the reffing standards there, we can count our blessings.

According to Soccerbase he oversaw the Skates win over Derby in the CCup this season. Burn him. Burn him at the stake!

I thought we were playing Leicester, not the ref.