Saints announce fans' forum with Krueger, Reed and Koeman - October 19th

Saint-Armstrong

CQzogsYWEAAvePH.png:large

The club is pleased to confirm that a fans’ forum will take place at St Mary’s on Monday 19th October.

BBC Radio Solent’s Adam Blackmore will host the forum, with doors opening at 6pm BST and the event getting under way an hour later.

Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger, Executive Director of Football Les Reed and First Team Manager Ronald Koeman will all be in attendance to answer questions from up to 500 supporters.

Fans will get the opportunity to find out more about the club’s future plans both on and off the pitch, while reflecting on what has been a memorable past year for the football club.

The event will take place in the Mike Channon Suite at St Mary’s, with tickets exclusively for 2015/16 Season Ticket holders and Official Members and only available to buy online.

Tickets will cost just £1, with all proceeds from the event being donated to Saints Foundation – the official charity of Southampton Football Club.

Season Ticket holders and Official Members wishing to attend the forum can purchase tickets via tickets.saintsfc.co.uk from 9am on Monday 12th October.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

it will probably get hijacked by the usual rent-a-gobs

Maybe, but what's to complain about? In my opinion the club has never been better run than it is right now. I didn't hear much of an outcry when we didn't have fan's forums recently before the start of the season. There might have been some uncertainty then following the departures of Schneiderlin, Clyne and Toby, but the recent pick up of form and the performances of V V-D, Cedric and Romeu as their replacements and the sizzling form of Mane, Pelle and others goes quite a way towards the belief that this is probably the best squad we have ever had.

There is scope for improvement in the catering and the Beer though.

Great news well done the club.

Let's have an early guess at what will be discussed at too much length:

Stadium redevelopment, PA system, Safe standing (always a favourite, as if the club can influence the rest of football overnight, but hold off to annoy certain fans), stewards with double standards, munchers who can't go 90 minutes without stuffing a hole moaning about lack of lard delivery system, fan on the board, train to St Marys.

The worst is when people can ask any question they want to those at the helm of the Club and decide to talk about the food, beer, queues etc.

If those topics can be avoided it should be good.

It would also be nice to avoid the chaps that start their question with a 4 minute intro on when there first game was, where they sat at the Dell and what a super fan they are.

Stadium redevelopment, PA system, Safe standing (always a favourite, as if the club can influence the rest of football overnight, but hold off to annoy certain fans), stewards with double standards, munchers who can't go 90 minutes without stuffing a hole moaning about lack of lard delivery system, fan on the board, train to St Marys.

It's still a good pr exercise and a good idea to engage with the fans. It won't be as exciting as previous ones tbf but we are doing well at the moment.

Chorley was last spotted ragging off in a charity shop in town.

Also heard a wild, unsubstantiated rumour that he recently performed in some internet movies of an adult nature. Can anyone verify this?

Anyone remember the days of Chorley bullsh*t bingo? Anyone still have the bingo card?

The worst is when people can ask any question they want to those at the helm of the Club and decide to talk about the food, beer, queues etc.

If those topics can be avoided it should be good.

The essence of a forum, is that people can ask questions about whatever aspects of the club concern them and express their opinions about them, just as on here.

As a matter of interest, is there anything about the club, the players, the management that is bothering you at the moment?

People are free to ask about beer etc but when you are spokesman for a so called fan group and have the opportunity to stand up and ask our new owners the first question after they have recently saved the club and start banging on about beer it makes you sound completely small time and irrelevant.

People are free to ask about beer etc but when you are spokesman for a so called fan group and have the opportunity to stand up and ask our new owners the first question after they have recently saved the club and start banging on about beer it makes you sound completely small time and irrelevant.
A long rant about beer won't add much to the event, but equally a forum to get the every day complaints back to the club would be handy - stuff like getting out of the ground and over Northam Bridge is a joke for example. Reed, Krueger and Koeman wouldn't be the best people to answer that though!

Presumably to be broadcast on Saints Player or live on Radio Solent?

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport 16 hours ago

For those #saintsfc fans not able to get a ticket to the fans forum, it will be on 96.1fm & online & streamed live via club's YouTube feed

You got any of your own ideas?

I have no problem with the way the club is being run these days - hardly a foot out of place but I guess it would be nice to know things like "is there any chance of adding to the capacity one day or is that just pie in the sky"?

On a personal level I would like to see the club devote some space in SMS for some sort of museum but I have already floated that to RK so the ball is in his court.

If anyone here is attending the only topic of interest to me is ticket prices at SMS.

I don't care about the beer or a train or any of that as they are all peripheral to me. If I cannot afford to watch the match at SMS by myself or with family then the cost or taste of the beer or if there is car parking or safe standing is an irrelevancy.

SO, my two part question is, given the huge cost of a ticket to watch Saints play EPL games live at SMS would they ever consider "Fair Pricing" akin to the Governments "Living Wage" policy for matches at SMS, in order to ensure the average supporter can continue to support Saints live ~ and meaning it does not end up as luxury entertainment by rich people (players) for rich people (the few who can afford to attend)?

If I had my way I would ensure that prices are ring fenced/frozen with immediate effect. In the same way that the club has a wage policy for its players it ought to have a ticket pricing policy policy for its supporters. Unlike the wages policy though the pricing policy could be transparent and visible to all and it could be as simple as a commitment to keeping the costs of tickets at today's rate as a higher priority than paying another player £50,000 a week, which is c £3.50each ticket from the 30,000 supporters every other week at SMS. It needs strong financial management but it also needs a strong commitment to a fair pricing policy. Without it the prices are only going one way, and the demograph of who can afford to watch ditto, and ultimately that will have its own impact on the kind of club we are and are perceived to be worldwide. Maybe we have foregone the right to have such sentiments but id hope given the kind of owners we have that the concept resonates sympathetically with them and in fact also makes commercial sense. We have a history and a tradition which can be airbrushed out or it can be cherished and respected.

LOL. Some of those I would be interested in an answer to (highlighted). The others, not really.

You got any of your own ideas?

I think i could come up with a few that are better, yes.

As mentioned elsewhere, Ticket Pricing. First of all, praise the club for their sensible cup ticket policy. You're about to ask someone to change something for your benefit, so the least you can do is praise them when they have taken positive steps. Have information about ticket pricing campaigns to hand, and ask how the club could integrate with them. You could also weave egress from the stadium and surrounding areas into this point.

The second would be coverage for fans who cannot necessarily get to matches. I happen to know that the club are especially proud of their increasingly prominent social media profile and youtube content, so using the 'flashback' content as a basis, enquire into the content right issues surrounding saintsplayer and premier league content. Ask if there is a possibility of an à la carte selection of paid highlights via youtube , similar to episodal content from television networks.

Then go to club history. Many believe our current badge to be rather, well, Kinder Egg, some of those are within the club! Suggest a future or off season kit that would include the older badge, perhaps with the saints foundation logo included somewhere alongside. If this cannot be managed with sponsors, propose saints leisurewear to trial it. if lack of popular support is mentioned, ask the room for a show of hands for trialling the original crest.

And finally, Satellite Facilties. Ask about the challenges facing saints RE: Bristol city, and London satellite Academies. Ask if any plans are in the works for new off site facilities to enable saints to help develop the best young players and provide a path to the first team, and possibly national team.

But I mean, that's just off the top of my head. Feel free to ask for bigger Mars bars, or Enquire into stadium redevelopment and Train stations, news that the Hierarchy at the club would definitely sit on, unless a member of the public asked them on a whim.

Things I would be interested in asking:

1. How work is progressing to increase commercial revenue to the point that we can at least be average for a club our size in the Premier League (especially important in FFP rules).

2. The players who aren't signing new deals - in the clubs opinion how much more are the players earning at their new club compared to what the clubs best offer to them was? And can any work be done to bridge this gap?

3. A few years ago the club (Les Reed) publicly stated that they didn't believe that loans were the best way to develop their young players. This attitude has noticeably changed in the last 18 months - why?

4. As the club continues to establish itself in the top half of the Premier League it becomes harder to provide a platform for young players to develop in the first team but the club is still based on the ethos of giving kids the a chance - what (if any) steps have the club taken to ensure this can still be the case? Or is it a matter of the quality of kids coming through aren't good enough?

3 and 4 may be related but as a fan I'd be interested to know the current line of thinking, especially as a number of current U21's are about to be sent out on loan and our first team squad has a number of players who don't play much and were recently purchased.

I think i could come up with a few that are better, yes.

As mentioned elsewhere, Ticket Pricing. First of all, praise the club for their sensible cup ticket policy. You're about to ask someone to change something for your benefit, so the least you can do is praise them when they have taken positive steps. Have information about ticket pricing campaigns to hand, and ask how the club could integrate with them. You could also weave egress from the stadium and surrounding areas into this point.

The second would be coverage for fans who cannot necessarily get to matches. I happen to know that the club are especially proud of their increasingly prominent social media profile and youtube content, so using the 'flashback' content as a basis, enquire into the content right issues surrounding saintsplayer and premier league content. Ask if there is a possibility of an à la carte selection of paid highlights via youtube , similar to episodal content from television networks.

Then go to club history. Many believe our current badge to be rather, well, Kinder Egg, some of those are within the club! Suggest a future or off season kit that would include the older badge, perhaps with the saints foundation logo included somewhere alongside. If this cannot be managed with sponsors, propose saints leisurewear to trial it. if lack of popular support is mentioned, ask the room for a show of hands for trialling the original crest.

And finally, Satellite Facilties. Ask about the challenges facing saints RE: Bristol city, and London satellite Academies. Ask if any plans are in the works for new off site facilities to enable saints to help develop the best young players and provide a path to the first team, and possibly national team.

But I mean, that's just off the top of my head. Feel free to ask for bigger Mars bars, or Enquire into stadium redevelopment and Train stations, news that the Hierarchy at the club would definitely sit on, unless a member of the public asked them on a whim.

No I agree with you questions re the size of a Mars bar etc etc are futile and embarrassing - you come up with some good points. One rumour I would like confirmed or denied is that Lowe had foundations put in at SMS when it was built that would enable an extra tier if needed. I have never seen the club comment on this but it would be nice to know one way or another.

When will the kingsland stand extension start ? I understand the plan whilst Clotese was chairman was to move the family section to this new upper tier and also make a better experience for the disabled fans. Being realistic we dont need anything else done, but getting to around 35,000 would make us the biggest ground outside London in the south, cardiff being the biggest at present.

More control over players gobbing off to the media about their own positions, stopping the daily echo from asking questions that are based on total bull**** in the media.

I think we want Les Reed to state on record (the obvious) in that we cannot clearly sell any player to tottenham whilst Levy in chairman and pochettino is manager.

Can Koeman sign the extra year and then take the dutch job as rumoured.

About the only thing that gets me at the moment is the amount of away tickets we get.

We don't always ask for our full allocation when we know that for many / most / all we could sell out.

Is this simply the club getting burnt previously by not selling them after having to pay up front? Or is the club underestimating the intrest in certain games away where we

would sell out if offered a bigger allocation?

Also what is the club doing this season with the money for the away game? Free transport, cheaper tickets etc.

Obviously living 'Oop North' I get to more away games than I do home games along with hundreds of other Northern Saints. It just gets a bit annoying when I can't get tickets for

many of the away games and have to sit in various 'home' ends.

1. How work is progressing to increase commercial revenue to the point that we can at least be average for a club our size in the Premier League (especially important in FFP rules).

2. The players who aren't signing new deals - in the clubs opinion how much more are the players earning at their new club compared to what the clubs best offer to them was? And can any work be done to bridge this gap?

3. A few years ago the club (Les Reed) publicly stated that they didn't believe that loans were the best way to develop their young players. This attitude has noticeably changed in the last 18 months - why?

4. As the club continues to establish itself in the top half of the Premier League it becomes harder to provide a platform for young players to develop in the first team but the club is still based on the ethos of giving kids the a chance - what (if any) steps have the club taken to ensure this can still be the case? Or is it a matter of the quality of kids coming through aren't good enough?

3 and 4 may be related but as a fan I'd be interested to know the current line of thinking, especially as a number of current U21's are about to be sent out on loan and our first team squad has a number of players who don't play much and were recently purchased.

"Like"

Re 3/4

They will be good enough but need the game time and experience. We're playing at a much higher level now. Look a few youngsters we played in the first few games of the season, they left us open at times which lost points.

I think the reason players like Luke shaw and chambers came on so well Is the game time they managed to get in the championship.

As much as we think they look ready the staff working with them know what they need.

Ticket prices is a big one and relevant with the recent publicity of 20 is plenty. People are being priced out and I am convinced this has a negative impact on match day atmosphere.

Match day experience in general could be improved but this probably isn't the time for it.

I'd like to know more about the clubs plans to move forward. We hear Ralph talk about Champions League but how are they planning in achieving that? Consistently selling the best players surely isn't the plan?

Ticket prices is a big one and relevant with the recent publicity of 20 is plenty. People are being priced out and I am convinced this has a negative impact on match day atmosphere.

Match day experience in general could be improved but this probably isn't the time for it.

I'd like to know more about the clubs plans to move forward. We hear Ralph talk about Champions League but how are they planning in achieving that? Consistently selling the best players surely isn't the plan?

Good point. I have just bought 2 adult and 2 child tickets for Leicester for my daughter and her family and they cost me over £100.

For Leicester, FFS.

Hopefully there will only be one question for Ralph: we are still lagging behind other clubs of our size commercially, what are you doing to change this?

Otherwise there is nothing of value for him to add.

To which he will probably reply "There is still plenty to do but this year alone I've overseen a 21% increase in commercial revenue"

To which he will probably reply "There is still plenty to do but this year alone I've overseen a 21% increase in commercial revenue"

Would be more difficult to weedle out of if worded something like:

"Though the club's commercial revenue has increased in the past year, it still looks low when compared with that of clubs of a similar size and stature. Which specific actions are being taken to improve this?"

I'm both interested to hear what's said tonight and prepared for a session of half-answers/management speak.

Obviously it's unlikely that anybody will get to ask more than one thing, but I've prepared a few questions just in case my points of interest are asked by others. Better to go in prepared with some facts and figures than to rattle off meaningless waffle off-the-cuff. Hopefully that's the way to get some answers of substance.

Edited by ant

Would be more difficult to weedle out of if worded something like:

"Though the club's commercial revenue has increased in the past year, it still looks low when compared with that of clubs of a similar size and stature. Which specific actions are being taken to improve this?"

I'm both interested to hear what's said tonight and prepared for a session of half-answers/management speak.

Obviously it's unlikely that anybody will get to ask more than one thing, but I've prepared a few questions just in case my points of interest are asked by others. Better to go in prepared with some facts and figures than to rattle off meaningless waffle off-the-cuff. Hopefully that's the way to get some answers of substance.

Isn't it sad that we as fans have to be concerned with this.