EU referendum

Wade Garrett

That's a laughable way of looking at it. The pound was always going to drop. Stocks are reactionary. It will recover. FTSE has already started bouncing back. Leaving was never going to be easy. There will be a slump in the pound for a little while.

I agree nobody really knows but money has been lost the FTSE250 which contains more British companies than the FTSE100 as it contains many US companies who report profits in Dollars are happy with the 7% fall in the pound dropped 7% as did many European and Asian Stock Markets.

The UK has had its credit rating outlook downgraded to "negative" by the ratings agency Moody's after the country voted to leave the EU.

Moody's said the result would herald "a prolonged period of uncertainty".

But only time will tell

Yesterday was a bad day lets hope next week is not a bad week as each and everyone of us will become poorer if it is

This explains what happened yesterday on the Stock Markets

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/06/25/when-do-you-decide-its-time-to-worry/

‘In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.’ - Nigel Farage

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/remember-that-time-nigel-farage-said-52-48-votes-should-lead-to-second-referendum-5963900/#ixzz4CZe41oB2

Unfortunately for you losers , Drunker , Cameron and other people in power stated that this was it, no going back, no second vote . Shame really because I'd have loved to do it again and see you lot throwing your toys out of the pram once again , when the peasants vote the wrong way again

But the fact that they pointed this out repeatedly was clearly intended to plant the suggestion that it would be spent on the NHS.

So how do they do it ? They're not the Government . How do Gisela Stuart , Boris Johnson , Michael Gove , Douglas Carswell do it ? Which one controls the purse strings , which one is health sec?

It was a multi party campaign group not a political party putting forward a manifesto . Corbyn wanted an in vote to bring about more workers rights , had they won and the EU & Cameron didn't go for it , how can I blame Corbyn . He gave his vision of the eu , but until he's in a position to deliver that vision you can't hold him to account .

I said it was "akin" to a manifesto. Do what try reading what people say before replying to them.

I also say again that this campaign was far more a Tory leadership bid than anything else - and what a brilliantly successful one too given yesterdays events. Evidence to support that is that many eurosceptic Tory MPs are apparently reluctant to support Boris Johnson's coming leadership campaign because they know at heart that Coco The Clown doesn't believe a word of the tosh he has been so busy selling to the British people in the last months.

And they're right because methinks that he will sell you 'true believers' right down the river at the very first opportunity.

I said it was "akin" to a manifesto. Do what try reading what people say before replying to them.

I also say again that this campaign was far more a Tory leadership bid than anything else - and what a brilliantly successful one too given yesterdays events. Evidence to support that is that many eurosceptic Tory MPs are apparently reluctant to support Boris Johnson's coming leadership campaign because they know at heart that Coco The Clown doesn't believe a word of the tosh he has been so busy selling to the British people in the last months.

And they're right because methinks that he will sell you 'true believers' right down the river at the very first opportunity.

**** me that Tory leadership election was popular in working class northern areas , did you see the turn out

But the fact that they pointed this out repeatedly was clearly intended to plant the suggestion that it would be spent on the NHS.

I have the last received (of many) Vote Leave campaign leaflets before me as I write this - on the front is written:

We send the EU £350 million a week - let's fund our NHS instead

Ignoring the small matter that this "£350m" business is factualy untrue of coure, I'm thinking that many ordinary people might read that as a promise to massivly increase NHS funding. That may in turn have influenced the way they voted on Thursday. Or am I being utterly unreasonable here?

When does the establishment, big business, the bankers and vested interests stop running the country?

I've been looking forward to that bit since 5am yesterday.

Right after the immigrants are thrown out. One step at a time mate.

Unfortunately for you losers , Drunker , Cameron and other people in power stated that this was it, no going back, no second vote . Shame really because I'd have loved to do it again and see you lot throwing your toys out of the pram once again , when the peasants vote the wrong way again

But you see, I haven't thrown my toys out of the pram. I'm disappointed, but no more than having the Tories in government. The sun is shining, I'm still breathing, all my limbs are functioning,and England won the cricket yesterday. Maybe Brexit will prove to be a good thing, maybe it won't, but we'll probably never be sure because we won't be able to compare with the situation where the UK remained within the EU. Maybe you'll be able to crow "I told you so", in 10 years time, maybe you'll grow to regret the consequences of Thursday's result. But look on the bright side, the footie season will be here soon.

Chin up !!

I doubt that Out would win if there was another Referendum in 2017 as people will be poorer there will be more unemployment possibly a small recession and promises not acted upon.

But we are where we are so we will have to make the best of it but there will consequences with Law firms will be making a packet

So how do they do it ? They're not the Government . How do Gisela Stuart , Boris Johnson , Michael Gove , Douglas Carswell do it ? Which one controls the purse strings , which one is health sec?

I don't know, but it IS what they said, so maybe you should be asking them how THEY expected it to happen. After all, you fell for it.

Well I expect the EU have bunged them a brown envelope stuffed full of euros just to make us feel bad - it certainly can't have anything to do with our nation being of the verge of breaking up and facing a poorer future.

The big ratings agencies are like that ...

People are sick and tired of so called experts. What do they know?

the people have spoken

if labour and other politicians listened to them over the years instead of looking down on them (white van man tweet for example) then remain would have won by a landslide. People have been raising concerns about immigration up north and on the east coast for years. only to be called racist

They know that the UK is going to go through a period of uncertainty, but for the time being they don't see any need to change our AA+ rating.

That's why they get paid so much.

Moody's have downgraded us.

Weird, they can't have read all those Facebook lists explaining how nothing has changed and everything is actually fine.

Oh, so that means our cost of borrowing is likely to rise. I wonder whether the increased interest we now need to pay is more or less than the fictional £350m per week. Looks like we might have spent that already then. Oh well, no more money for the NHS after all - who knew.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

the people have spoken

if labour and other politicians listened to them over the years instead of looking down on them (white van man tweet for example) then remain would have won by a landslide. People have been raising concerns about immigration up north and on the east coast for years. only to be called racist

Unfortunately this is another area where people have been misled and voted on the fear peddled by Farage and his mates that all the ills of the country are caused by too much immigration. IMHO immigration won't reduce by any significant amount as a result of this decision and I look forward to Boris et al telling us what the limit will be although I expect to be waiting for a VERY long time for that to happen.

Unfortunately this is another area where people have been misled and voted on the fear peddled by Farage and his mates that all the ills of the country are caused by too much immigration. IMHO immigration won't reduce by any significant amount as a result of this decision and I look forward to Boris et al telling us what the limit will be although I expect to be waiting for a VERY long time for that to happen.

It is about control. People want a sense of control. Not hard to understand

but then, you just dismiss it, Juts put it down to Farage peddling a line.

people have been raising concerns for years and have been told to shut up, told they are racist and such like.

now look at what's happened.

in deep historical labour areas, their party could not represent them any less I don't think. UKiP will hoover up the votes up there. So dismiss their concerns all you want, look down on them, call them thick, stupid and racist. But it is that which has brought this result.

I fully look forward to this emergency budget where taxes will rise, spending will be slashed

should happen any day now I expect

amazing with the amount of people seemingly not accepting the result.

The result is accepted but there are consequences of it so lots of people are worried

You are not because perhaps you do not understand the economic situation we find ourselves in today it is not a criticism but if you dont follow these things like I do you will not know

Like you I follow the Saints avidly since 1962 but I also follow economics as I did it at school at the same time and politics as I really liked Harold Wilson a Huddersfield Town supporter by the way

I have just read this which interests me

The ratings agency Moody’s has lowered the outlook for the UK’s credit rating from stable to negative amid what it said would prove a prolonged period of uncertainty following Britain’s vote to leave the European Union.

Moody’s said the unpredictability of British decision-making had factored into its move, as had the likelihood of lower economic growth that it said would outweigh any savings the UK might hope to get from not having to contribute to the EU budget.

“Over the longer term, should the UK not be able to secure a favourable alternative trade arrangement with the EU and other countries, the UK’s growth prospects would be materially weaker than currently expected,” the agency’s note said.

Standard and Poor’s has also warned Britain’s top “AAA” credit rating was now at risk.

Britain’s vote on Friday to leave the EU has sparked widespread turmoil and uncertainty, forcing prime minister David Cameron to resign and wiping more than $2tn of value from markets around the world.

An austerity budget was never ever going to happen after BREXIT because as usual Osborne's econimics would have led us to sure recession however he was clumsily trying to highlight that after BREXIT GDP would reduce and there was going to be blackhole in the finances of the country.

But there are other ways apart from austerity to fill the black holes which the next right wing Tory Government will have to fill as well as funding the NHS.

There is also the Political Law supported by Gove Grayling Johnson IDS Patel etc which commits the governmentto balance day-to-day spending by eliminating the structural deficit sometme soon to navigate around I cannot remember the exact date because it is always changing as Osborne's policies continually raise the debt of the country

Some cause for thought

With hours of the result on Friday morning, the Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, had distanced himself from the claim that £350m of EU contributions could instead be spent on the NHS.

On another front, Liam Fox has cast doubt on the necessity of triggering the article 50 clause of the Lisbon treaty that sets out the legal process for a country’s EU withdrawal.

“A lot of things were said in advance of this referendum that we might want to think about again and that [invoking article 50] is one of them,” said the Conservative MP.

Tory MEP Daniel Hannan told the BBC: “Frankly, if people watching think that they have voted and there is now going to be zero immigration from the EU, they are going to be disappointed which probably means there is still going to be a lot.

PS I distrust most Tory Politician with a passion as well as ones from other parties but really like Caroline Lucas

people have been raising concerns for years and have been told to shut up, told they are racist and such like.

in deep historical labour areas, their party could not represent them any less I don't think. UKiP will hoover up the votes up there. So dismiss their concerns all you want, look down on them, call them thick, stupid and racist. But it is that which has brought this result.

Yep thick northern cu nts have voted to fck up my kids future. Not fair

At which point did I mention that people were thick stupid or racist?

I do have a problem with understanding the 'people want a sense of control' line to be fair. What I do understand is that people want to reduce immigration to save our public services, NHS waiting times, give jobs to British workers, increase their pay and not be undercut by immigrants'. People didn't vote for a 'sense of control' to have the number of immigrants remain roughly the same so I think they'll be sorely disappointed.

As it happens, I don't believe that Boris 'I'm the most pro immigration MP' Johnson was a true believer so it will be interesting to see how things progress if and when he becomes the boss.

As for Labour voters voting UKIP from now on. Why would they? They only point about UKIP was to take us out of the EU. That's been done so they're now meaningless so why vote for them?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Well and the Isle of Wight,Cornwall,Devon Basingstoke, Essex etc. In fact only around London were the results significantly in favour of remaining, Scotland and N.Ireland apart of course. Why Southampton even voted to Leave. I really don't think you can blame it on the Northerners.

Well and the Isle of Wight,Cornwall,Devon Basingstoke, Essex etc. In fact only around London were the results significantly in favour of remaining. Why Southampton even voted to Leave. I really don't think you can blame it on the Northerners.

Fair point although I've never liked the north so I want to blame them

Oh come, come. The referendum campaign was always a Tory leadership campaign is cunning disguise and many of the promises made by Bretix leaders to the British people very much akin to a manifesto.

Did you not notice this?

Which promises are you referring to? Please and thank yous.

Fair point although I've never liked the north so I want to blame them

And a perfectly reasonable attitude that is too. Me I blame the young (18-40) for not turning out in significant numbers.

Remain should have won (in theory) if you look at the information given across the polls and apply it to the demographic.

suck it up buttercup

Farage and conspiro weirdos. What could possibly go wrong?

We're going to end up staying in all but name, and on worse terms than we had, having suffered major damage to our reputation and economy in the meantime. What a cluster****.

Edited by buctootim

I'm sure you know this is untrue, but failing that, Scotland, NI, and London 'propped' up the Remain vote. Wales and England voted to leave.

Edit: Ooops, should have read the thread, WC has made the point.

I'm sure you know this is untrue, but failing that, Scotland, NI, and London 'propped' up the Remain vote. Wales and England voted to leave.

Edit: Ooops, should have read the thread, WC has made the point.

Was tongue in cheek but thanks.

Well for a start how about that one written on the side of Boris's bus - and then we can go from there. While you are about it, can you explain to me what all this talk about "national identity" and "taking back control" even means?

I don't really care for Boris Johnson, but a statement on the side of a bus is hardly a promise. We all know the net figure isn't remotely close to £350m of course, and so it was disingenuous/annoying/manipulative (though it falls short of lying). I can't accept that as a "promise" to spend £350m extra on the NHS though. What else? You can ask, sure, but I trust you won't then extrapolate that answer and apply it to 17.4 million people. At any rate, 'national identity', who knows and/or cares, it's not important to me (and you're asking *me*). "Taking back control", the ability for a nation to be exclusively responsible for its own policy - I'd have thought that was a fairly standard concept, even if you don't agree with it/think it necessary.

I don't really care for Boris Johnson, but a statement on the side of a bus is hardly a promise. We all know the net figure isn't remotely close to £350m of course, and so it was disingenuous/annoying/manipulative (though it falls short of lying). I can't accept that as a "promise" to spend £350m extra on the NHS though. What else? You can ask, sure, but I trust you won't then extrapolate that answer and apply it to 17.4 million people. At any rate, 'national identity', who knows and/or cares, it's not important to me (and you're asking *me*). "Taking back control", the ability for a nation to be exclusively responsible for its own policy - I'd have thought that was a fairly standard concept, even if you don't agree with it/think it necessary.

How does it fall short of lying? Lets call it what it is.

And a perfectly reasonable attitude that is too. Me I blame the young (18-40) for not turning out in significant numbers.

Remain should have won (in theory) if you look at the information given across the polls and apply it to the demographic.

This. Instead of claiming that the baby boomers have ruined their future, maybe the 18-40s should be asking why 1 in 4 people didn't take part in the most important vote in their lifetime.

So "falls short of a lie" and "not a promise" then?

Perhaps in a sematic sense, but the implied commitment to increase NHS spending is beyond obvious and in every way that really matters not only is that a lie, it is a huge one. I think all people of good faith - regardless of how they voted last Thursday - shouldn't be afraid to condemn those in public life who would stoop to such depths over a issue as momentous and important as this one. There is no excuse for this.

As I said before, if you were selling a can of beans to the British public with a pack if lies written all over the can then you'd soon find yourself up before the Trading Stardards Authority. On the other hand "industrial scale" lying to the British people in order to change their nation's destiny and further one Tory politican's ambitions and that seems to be OK with you.

As for taking back control, the truth is we ALWAYS had control over everything that really mattered - be it economic, defence, foreign and domestic policy. In those (mostly techinical) areas where we did comply with EU law that was agreed to by various (elected) UK governments over time and in our interest most of the time. But yes we are now free of the ominous threat of the more EU Digital Tachograph regulations being impossed upon us - so well done.

Well I'd expect you to be more progressive and tolerant then.

I meant I'd have to seriously consider leaving the UK to work in another country if Brexit won. Let's be real, the vote wasn't decided by University professor's and intellectuals, it was decided by xenophobes and racists scared of seeing a few brown people walking down the street and those who wanted to stick it to Cameron and his cronies.

I didn't vote in this referendum. Not because I couldn't be bothered I just didn't feel strongly enough to vote either way. I'll tell you what though; since the result became clear the remain campaign haven't half managed to put me off with their childish butt-hurt reactions.

Describing more than half the population as xenophobes, racists and lacking intelligence and writing off the leave campaign as nothing more than, "a fear of brown people walking down the street," is how we ended up like this. Sucessive governments wrote off UKIP support at general elections as closet racists making a 'protest vote'. Then Dave went and bet his career on a remain vote at a referendum and suddenly here we are. More people siding with UKIP than the three main parties put together.

I'll stick with being unprogressive and intolerant (apparently), the irony being I'm not the one dismissing either side as being immoral or lacking intelligence.

UK: We want to leave!

EU: no, please don't

(UK votes to leave)

UK: actually there's no rush

EU: no, please **** off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I'm a wally and I can't turn off text signatures.

There is a certain element of angry ex-girlfriend shouting, "Fine, leave!" And chucking all your stuff out of her bedroom window, about this.