Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

Not surprised SG is coming good - very rare that you find strikers with his height and pace. Losing a parent at such a young age plus injury held him back but saw his full debut v Arsenal under MP and caused them loads of problems aged 18. If he carries this form on, would expect him to be offered a new deal and given taller strikers mature later, I would get him signed up anyway.

Just look at Harry Kane's development the last 2,5 seasons. His stats in the championship look similar to what Gallagher's. Let's hope he'll have the same impact for us that Kane has had for Spurs.

It seems to always be the case, we don't score.....let's bring back Pelle, put the kids in etc etc. Let Gallagher carry on what he's doing, we don't need him here right now and he doesn't need us - he is at the level right now which will allow him to grow and mature, let's let him do that. He wouldn't have made a slight difference to us yesterday.

It seems to always be the case, we don't score.....let's bring back Pelle, put the kids in etc etc. Let Gallagher carry on what he's doing, we don't need him here right now and he doesn't need us - he is at the level right now which will allow him to grow and mature, let's let him do that. He wouldn't have made a slight difference to us yesterday.

That's a bit presumptuous to state. We finished last night with three forwards all firing not on full cylinders and a young thrusting forward who has pace could have opened the door. All this goes to prove our squad is undercooked for the task that we face.

That's a bit presumptuous to state. We finished last night with three forwards all firing not on full cylinders and a young thrusting forward who has pace could have opened the door. All this goes to prove our squad is undercooked for the task that we face.

It was just one of those nights, on any other day we'd have had a couple. Just let Gallagher learn/mature at that level, see where he is in a year or so.

We could have done with Will Grigg or Cameron Jerome or Glenn Murray at the San Siro last night what with their ability to score some goals in the Championship.

If we hadn't have loaned Sam out, he'd likely have played a few minutes here and there in the League Cup, therefore wouldn't have been any use to us last night.

Let him get on with his season which as it stands might just result in him proving he is at least a second tier striker. We can then go from there.

Is he a decent championship level striker?

it's early days for him at Blackburn, so I'm not going to criticise him at all, but ..atm...the answer is probably not yet .

A quick look at the leading scorers in the Championship might be a good indication as to what can be considered.... " a decent level ".

Sam's sojourn at MK Dons didn't do much for his progress...Time-wise, it was five months " wasted " (almost like a long term injury).. but it seems that Owen Coyle is helping him a lot, and so maybe we can answer that question closer to the end of the season...especially if Blackburn can also haul themselves up the table.

Look at all the strikers who have learned their trade at Blackburn. I was certain Sam would make good given the right club and opportunity.i look forward to that day soon that those who never see anything positive in our lads, will eat their words.

Who is to say he wouldn't have done well if given the chance last night. Puel knows what he's doing and by the end of the season I am certain a lot of the Academy players will be fighting for selection in the first team.

A quick look at the leading scorers in the Championship might be a good indication as to what can be considered.... " a decent level ".

Have you looked at it then? Because... Sam Gallagher is the joint 6th top scorer in the 2016/17 Championship and has done so playing for a weak team that doesn't create many chances and not starting every game.

It does makes you wonder what he would be like with better service. Blackburn's final ball was awful tonight.

I agree, it was so frustrating watching Sam make runs and the ball never arriving. But life is good for him. He is thriving up there, he has a manager who believes in him (in contrast to one at SFC who never bothered to even speak to him) and he is developing nicely. I am biased but I think he is a real prospect, just hope Sam can be persuaded Saints are the right club for him should a new contact be offered.

I agree, it was so frustrating watching Sam make runs and the ball never arriving. But life is good for him. He is thriving up there, he has a manager who believes in him (in contrast to one at SFC who never bothered to even speak to him) and he is developing nicely. I am biased but I think he is a real prospect, just hope Sam can be persuaded Saints are the right club for him should a new contact be offered.

The worst thing we could do would be to recall him due to a mini injury crisis and then stick him in the U23's after a couple of games. You would hope that he can see that post-Koeman young players will be given a chance - although a different type of striker, I think you can see that his game is a couple of levels ahead of Olomola.

it's difficult ..and a bit unfair ..to judge any young player, (irrespective of the club he plays for) on the basis on a few good games.

In the final analysis, the only real criteria for a striker is that he scores goals / makes assists.

Longer memories recall the likes of the teenage Jermaine Defoe, who was loaned to Bournemouth (some 15 years ago) by the then WHam manager name of Redknapp. Defoe broke all Bournemouths goal-scoring records in less than a full season.

More recently, the "young" Harry Kane had around half-a-dozen loan-outs to several London clubs (and chalked up a good scoring record)... before moving back to Spurs, and the rest as they say ....is hysterical.

If Sam stays on at Blackburn, scores " fairly regularly " (stats. show one goal every three games is " about average ") then he may be right to come back to SMS, but we are still a long way from " maybe ".

As it is ..as others mentioned above, he'd get game / bench time if we had an injury crisis, or be back in our U23/PL2 squad.

As it is ..as others mentioned above, he'd get game / bench time if we had an injury crisis, or be back in our U23/PL2 squad.

Sam won't be coming back this season. He is on a season long loan. Players can only transfer during the designated transfer windows nowadays, so unless he was recalled in January its not even technically possible. We can't just recall him when we feel like it.

It was a great strike but he will not get that amount of time or room in the Premier league.

The Wolves defending was shocking.

Taking nothing away from the lad, he is doing very well at Blackburn, but he will need to offer that type of scoring week in week out to be a hit in the big league.

Lets hope he has it in him.

You also have to consider he's playing for a pretty average championship side in Blackburn. If the standard of players around him improved he'd probably be scoring even more. Really good to see him getting game time and making the most of it. Hopefully he can continue then get his chance next season in our first team.

it's difficult ..and a bit unfair ..to judge any young player, (irrespective of the club he plays for) on the basis on a few good games.

In the final analysis, the only real criteria for a striker is that he scores goals / makes assists.

Longer memories recall the likes of the teenage Jermaine Defoe, who was loaned to Bournemouth (some 15 years ago) by the then WHam manager name of Redknapp. Defoe broke all Bournemouths goal-scoring records in less than a full season.

More recently, the "young" Harry Kane had around half-a-dozen loan-outs to several London clubs (and chalked up a good scoring record)... before moving back to Spurs, and the rest as they say ....is hysterical.

If Sam stays on at Blackburn, scores " fairly regularly " (stats. show one goal every three games is " about average ") then he may be right to come back to SMS, but we are still a long way from " maybe ".

Kane wasn't as prolific during hs loans out as you might suspect.

2011 → Leyton Orient (loan) 18 (5 goals)

2012 → Millwall (loan) 22 (7)

2012–2013 → Norwich City (loan) 3 (0)

2013 → Leicester City (loan) 13 (2

Taken from Wikipedia.

Roughly one goal in three at Orient, and Millwall. Both at a lower level than Gallagher is currently playing in. To be fair though perhaps Gallagher's time at MK might also be factored in.

Of course comparisons are pretty useless, but there was nothing really in his time away, from the stats above to suggest Kane would turn out to be the player he has become for Spurs.

Just hope Gallagher maintains his form at Blackburn and returns as the player we hope him to be.

Kane wasn't as prolific during hs loans out as you might suspect.

2011 → Leyton Orient (loan) 18 (5 goals)

2012 → Millwall (loan) 22 (7)

2012–2013 → Norwich City (loan) 3 (0)

2013 → Leicester City (loan) 13 (2

Taken from Wikipedia.

Roughly one goal in three at Orient, and Millwall. Both at a lower level than Gallagher is currently playing in. To be fair though perhaps Gallagher's time at MK might also be factored in.

Of course comparisons are pretty useless, but there was nothing really in his time away, from the stats above to suggest Kane would turn out to be the player he has become for Spurs.

Just hope Gallagher maintains his form at Blackburn and returns as the player we hope him to be.

As you say it's very difficult to make comparisons....but I think HK's was around 18 when he went on his first "loan-out".

But 14 goals in 56 games isn't that bad, and he was back at Spurs just after he turned 21....about the time that Pochettino took over.

But now that Sam has got a chance to play regularly, and gets "real game time" we can hope that his good form continues.

With half-a-dozen goals in the bag already at the end of October it does look encouraging. If he s in double figures by Christmas, then Puel might fetch him back - especially if JayRod and Shane Long haven't hit some good scoring form by then.....

Good to see him doing well, physically you can see that he is much stronger and better equipped to play up front than when he broke into the first team back in 2014. You never quite know with young players, but I have a good feeling about his future with us.

Weird thing was his family lived on the same road as me when I was living in mid Devon. I was completely unaware of this for most of the time I lived there, it was enough of an outpost to assume there was nothing Saints-related nearby!:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The bitter comments on that site are appalling. Thank god we don't have delusional idiots like that infesting our forum.

Oh wait...

From that it appears the 'inbreds' at Burnley are on a par with the Skates.

One comment from a Blackburn fan, that was not entering into a slanging match, that caught my eye was this:

FFS calm down.

He's here for the season, he's playing and scoring, everybody is happy.

Southampton currently have no shortage of strikers but have a track record of developing youngsters into their first team. His time there will come, and he knows it.

He overlooks that apart from Austin none of them can hit a barn door regularly.

Personally I think a full season at Blackburn will be more beneficial for him than coming back.

From that it appears the 'inbreds' at Burnley are on a par with the Skates.

One comment from a Blackburn fan, that was not entering into a slanging match, that caught my eye was this:

He overlooks that apart from Austin none of them can hit a barn door regularly.

Personally I think a full season at Blackburn will be more beneficial for him than coming back.

If you were a Blackburn fan I imagine Southampton's strike force would probably look pretty impressive to you compared to what you've experienced the last few years.?

Most interesting piece in that Lancashire Telegraph article, is the fact that Saints not only watch Sam's matches (as you'd expect), but are also still coaching him remotely with what he can do differently! So the club aren't just relying on Blackburn's coaching team (thankfully) and are really controlling our loan players.

That I didn't know.

Most interesting piece in that Lancashire Telegraph article, is the fact that Saints not only watch Sam's matches (as you'd expect), but are also still coaching him remotely with what he can do differently! So the club aren't just relying on Blackburn's coaching team (thankfully) and are really controlling our loan players.

That I didn't know.

Probably a condition of all our loan agreements and explains the "hypocrisy" of loaning players out after Les Reed stated publicly that we didn't like to use that system - we get the best of both worlds, first team experience for our youngsters whilst being coached to our standards in our philosophy.

That I didn't know.

Believe it's a recently implemented thing after a couple of loans last season didn't work out how the club wanted.

• 2 weeks later...