Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

• 2 weeks later...
Can't see Harry lasting much longer.

5 defeats and barely a goal scored for ages.

Sam has come in at a bad time for Brum.

Can hardly blame 'Arry for that though - it was an impossible job from the start, just keeping them up last season was a miracle. No doubt his squad is down to the bare bones as well. The only thing I can say with certainty is that none of their current troubles can possibly be down to Redknapp...

They're 3rd bottom and the lowest scorers in the league. The amount of people on that forum not overreacting and slating Gallagher is impressive. Especially when you consider the amount of people on here who insult our entire team in a season where we finish top 10 in the prem.

TBH not sure many are slating our forwards for not scoring, as the service they get is woeful. Of the games I've seen, pretty much the only chance created was the one that Gab scored with.

TBH not sure many are slating our forwards for not scoring, as the service they get is woeful. Of the games I've seen, pretty much the only chance created was the one that Gab scored with.

Apparently we average the 7th most shots per game of any prem team, around 13. But we only get 3 of them on target per game which I think is the 3rd lowest in the league. But in principle I agree with you. I was more complaining about the idiotic moaners on forums rather than our players.

Sounds like he isn't playing badly but playing in another side that is struggling to supply the type of strikers they have and not getting midfielders to link up. Will be familiar to Sam from pre season training...

Sam has all the tools, get one or two and he'll score regularly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Great.

Wide of a three behind a single centre forward, though, is the position that Blues boss Cotterill insists is the best place for Gallagher.

“He’s better out there than he is centre-forward,” he said simply, during his press conference after the match.

“He will play his better football out there wide because he is a 6ft 4ins striker who doesn’t always play like a 6ft 4ins striker.

“Just because he’s big it doesn’t mean to say he always plays well with his back to goal, he’s not always the best in the air.

“But if you put him out wide all of a sudden he is good in the air because he’s up against a full back that isn’t so dominant.

“I thought he was good out there when he came on as well. That’s the best place to play him - by a country mile.

“He might have to go and play the others at any time but I think he’s good at that wide striker of a three.”

Source: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-played-sam-gallagher-13829242

I tend to agree, every time I've seen him, I've thought he was better out wide.

Similar to Jay when he was at his best, playing wide left, cutting in onto his right foot.

Given our weakness in these area's, if he was to come back, I'd give him a chance.

I don't get the wage structure these young players now get,he's 40k a week and I was told from someone close to the family that Jack Stephens is on nearly 50k PW up from 12k

I don't believe those figures. We're mad if we're offering that because it will mean we can't shift them to Championship clubs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Awful loan move for him, and they won't even play him up front.

Feel for the lad after success last season. Nothing to suggest he will make it at Saints though.

Going to Brum really was a backwards step for him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42239253

Shame as after last season I was hoping he'd make progress this season again in the Championship but perhaps that prospect was slim if relying on 'Arry, then Clotterill to mentor him.

Sam is not premier league ready (yet) he played 43 league games last season scoring 11 goals (same as Lukas Jutkiewicz and Sam Baldock) Danny Graham scored more for Blackburn last season and in the championship so did Tom Ince (14) Cameron Jerome (16) and Glenn Murray (23)

He was independently rated for each performance (whoscored.com) and averaged 6.85/10 - that made him Blackburn's 7th highest rated player last season. He started brightly last season but struggled after Christmas - scoring just twice in his last 23 games.

Why would he be super average in the Championship but decent in the premier league this season?

Happy for the academy boys to play, but they need to be ready and not played simply because they are from our academy.

Enjoy the loan. Hopefully he comes back much improved.

Had hoped hed prove me wrong but sadly not. Definitely wasnt and isnt premier league ready and glad we didnt try to force the issue.

Really didn't think it was time for another loan. He'd looked good in that league and needed more time with us now. Yet we prioritised Long? Why?

Now Gallagher seems to have gone backwards thanks to a poor loan move. There's a really good striker in there but they need to start managing his career far better.

Suspect the decision was a financial one? Maybe Long didn't have many suitors who were prepared to pay a reasonable fee, or even cover the cost of his entire wage. Yet we apparently received a very decent loan fee for gallagher and we presumed he would play every week etc, which he needs to do at this point. We're at 25 man squad limit as well, so if we kept both someone else would have had to go out [i accept losing Gardos would not be a massive blow!]

It's one of the problems with offering larger contracts etc, yes it is easier to keep players, but it is also harder to shift them when you want rid. Arsenal a case in point, their previous desire for offering broadly similar wages to the whole squad has left them with a load of players that no other club will match the wage of