Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

I'm only going on the story posted above suggesting we are selling Gallagher to bring in Ings if that's the case I'd rather keep Gallagher.

We are not signing Ings. Alan Nixon is probably being paid by the agent to make sure clubs remember Ings is still alive.

Hmmmm forget Ings however if it means we can get Danny Wellbeck in so be it. Can't understand why we do give Sam G a few games though.

Because Gallagher has shown nothing to suggest that he deserves it. On the evidence of the last two seasons he is nothing more than an average championship level player.

Hmmmm forget Ings however if it means we can get Danny Wellbeck in so be it. Can't understand why we do give Sam G a few games though.

Can't see why Gallagher won't be given the chance. Looks like it's Long who is going and who we will replace. Gallagher gives us something a bit different with his height and pace, has proved himself capable of getting goals even in very poor teams and will get his chance this season given that Chas won't be fit for 38 games or 90 minutes. Have no idea if Wellbeck is serious, but would be a big upgrade on Long. Shame Long is going but you can't persist with one of your 4 strikers only scoring 1 per season. Little surprised if he goes to Rangers rather than Celtic.

What have random players from the 90s got to do with anything?

Aside from the fact that Beattie scored 5 goals in his first 2 years at Saints, a performance we can ill-afford given our current scoring form, his eventual good form is irrelevant to Gallagher. What about when we got rid of Rasiak and Stern John and gave a chance to Matt Patterson and Jamie White?

What about it ? I was just making the point that you never know with a 22 year old as there is still plenty of development opportunity left and we should not get rid because at 22 he is not yet Harry Kane!

I am not saying make him our main striker just give him a chance.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Pretty clear that Saints think Gallagher is decent, and possibly will be a late bloomer and therefore are scared of discarding him to soon should be then develop into a quality player.

But at some stage, as with the likes of Reed and McQueen you have to admit that they just aren't quite good enough and let them go.

Not like these lads are 18 or 19.

What about it ? I was just making the point that you never know with a 22 year old as there is still plenty of development opportunity left and we should not get rid because at 22 he is not yet Harry Kane!

I am not saying make him our main striker just give him a chance.

He’s a 22 year old, nearly 23, who hasn’t actually achieved anything at any level. Not made an impact at Saints, failed to score at the Dons, alright at Blackburn and most recently 6 goals at Brum. He’s had chances, maybe not here but he has had them. If he was ripping the Championship to pieces then great but the fact is he has been mediocre with a handful of excuses.

Because Gallagher has shown nothing to suggest that he deserves it. On the evidence of the last two seasons he is nothing more than an average championship level player.

Again, so quick to write off players. ....

He is very similar to Kane....

Harry Kane

10/11 - Leyton Orient (League 1) - 18 games, 5 goals. - aged 18

11/12 - Millwall (Championship) - 22 games, 7 goals - aged 19

12/13 - Norwich (Premier League) - 3 games, 0 goals - aged 20

12/13 - Leicester City (Championship) - 13 games, 2 goals - aged 21

Goals per game in = 14/56 = 0.25

14/15 - Tottenham (Premier League) - 10 games, 3 goals - aged 22

15/16 - Tottenham (Premier League) - 34 games, 21 goals

Samuel Gallagher.

13/14 - Southampton (Prem) - 18 games, 1 goal - aged 17/18.

15/16 - MK Dons (Championship) - 13 games, 0 goals (Relegated) - aged 19/20

16/17 - Blackburn (Championship) - 43games, 11 goals (Relegated) - aged 20/21 - very comparable to Kane's Millwall season in terms of goals per game.

17/18 - Birmingham (Championship) - 33 games, 6 goals (Relegation scrap) - aged 21/22 - this is very comparable to Kane's Leicester season, but SGC was playing for a far worse side and being played out of position.

Goals per game 18/107 = 0.17. - but distorted by SG's early saints games in the prem (at a young age) and his loan into a very poor MK dons side, also at a young age.

Gallagher has had a serious injury and personal issues, plus he has played for worse sides. Despite that, his record is not significantly worse than Kane's, especially considering that Kane is regarded as one of the worlds best CF's.

SG's goals per game at Blackburn and Birmingham is .224.

The kid is worth a shot in the team.

FYI -

Shane Long (for years 14/15 + 15/16 + 16/17 + 17/18 )

20goals in 122 league games. (0.164 per game).

And I like long!

Edited by Saint86

\

Just shows you haven't watched him. Simplistic assessment of a poor loan move. Said before he went, he didn't need another loan move. He should have been played or sold last summer. He did really well at Blackburn in a poor side. Birmingham were a mess.

Loan moves are not the way to judge a player like that. If he came straight from the youth team people would be happier giving him a go. How people say he doesn't deserve a chance then prefer Long or Carillio is beyond me. Our strikers have been awful.

Haven't I? Have you? He's not the next Harry Kane. He's nearly 23. He's (based on having seen play, and how he's done elsewhere) not a premier league player. If he gets a chance for us I'll wish him well and hope he proves me wrong.

Again, so quick to write off players. ....

He is very similar to Kane....

DECENT STAT WORK

And I like long!

Good work - thanks for the comparison, was going to look it up myself before you posted it. (not to post here, I just knew Kane didn't get many goals before he got games with Spurs in his 2nd season when he was a few years above 20)

Although you ruined it a bit with your final sentence re Long... ;)

Comparison with Kane’s stats is quite meaningless. Gallagher simply doesn’t have Kane’s first touch, ability to pass nor, as far as I can tell, his football intelligence. From what little I’ve seen of Gallagher he reminds a bit of James Beattie and that would be no bad thing. Beattie without balls, though I’m sure Hughes would put some aggression into him.

Not sure about Ings. Not seen enough of him, who has. Previously called him Nugent with nobs on but that may be unfair.

all you calling for giving Gallagher a chance, need to be mindfull that we are talking about our team that is obviously short of goals taking a chance on a forward who hasn't really cut in the Championship! This is similar to the same nonsense we had with JRod. The club loved it as they didn't have to go and and invest in a proper goalscorer, and the fans had their way in keeping a non entity.

We got out of jail last season, so we cant risk another season like last as we will go down. It is patently obvious we can't risk having Austin as our main man up front, as he is scared to sprint as he is fearful of his hamstring going again. We have let our major creator of chances leave, and so we are going to be up against it from the off.

Forget sentiment, we need someone to put the ball into the net, and quickly

all you calling for giving Gallagher a chance, need to be mindfull that we are talking about our team that is obviously short of goals taking a chance on a forward who hasn't really cut in the Championship! This is similar to the same nonsense we had with JRod. The club loved it as they didn't have to go and and invest in a proper goalscorer, and the fans had their way in keeping a non entity.

We got out of jail last season, so we cant risk another season like last as we will go down. It is patently obvious we can't risk having Austin as our main man up front, as he is scared to sprint as he is fearful of his hamstring going again. We have let our major creator of chances leave, and so we are going to be up against it from the off.

Forget sentiment, we need someone to put the ball into the net, and quickly

If people were calling for Gallagher to be our first choice striker then I would agree with everything you have posted, but as far as I can see nobody is making any such suggestion.

I would much rather have him available as a backup/sub than Carrillo.

If people were calling for Gallagher to be our first choice striker then I would agree with everything you have posted, but as far as I can see nobody is making any such suggestion.

I'd rather have him than long. Sell long and keep gabbi and Austin and add one other striker like wellbeck. More than enough games this season to gove Gallagher a good go out of that lot.

Personally I am for giving him a chance, it doesn't look like Long is going and apparently is important in the dressing room, but he's been poor on the pitch for a while, Carillo is gone and not likely to come back.

So why not give a guy who has scored goals in two crap championship teams, who offers physicality we don't have, a go as 3rd/4th choice rather than buying some other player, like a crocked Ings, that could be no better or worse.

Comparison with Kane’s stats is quite meaningless. Gallagher simply doesn’t have Kane’s first touch, ability to pass nor, as far as I can tell, his football intelligence.

You'd say comparing his stats for similar experience, teams, and age is meaningless.... but then put a kid down because he isn't comparable to Kane's current form, experience and age as a world class striker....

This place is getting more and more unbearable by the day. I don't know whether to laugh or cry tbh.

Edited by Saint86

He’s a 22 year old, nearly 23, who hasn’t actually achieved anything at any level. Not made an impact at Saints, failed to score at the Dons, alright at Blackburn and most recently 6 goals at Brum. He’s had chances, maybe not here but he has had them. If he was ripping the Championship to pieces then great but the fact is he has been mediocre with a handful of excuses.

There are many good young strikers who did not make an impression in the Championship it is a much more physical league that toughens you up however if you are more intelligent, skilful and quick thinking for example and make good runs as a striker you want good players around you to play you in! There are plenty of examples of strikers ripping the championship apart and failing at the top level and vice versa this alone is not how you judge potential to be a good prem player.

There are many key performance issues to look for in a potential premier striker not just ripping up the championship! The club like what they see so give him a chance

I think that would summarise my view too. There are plenty of players who arrived late at the top and as Saints fans we should be aware of that. His career has been a bit disrupted and I don't feel giving him a place in the 25 man squad would be wasted. Him, Vestergaard, Yoshi and Stephens might combine to get one of those late goals from a corner or free kick that we used to get a few years ago and have been sadly missing..

Rickie Lambert was 26 when he had his big season with Bristol Rovers that got his move to Saints. He then developed from there as we went through the leagues and was 29 when he made his Premier League debut.

Not I'm not saying Sam Gallagher is the next Rickie Lambert, but we as Saints fans should know about players that develop late.

Rickie Lambert was 26 when he had his big season with Bristol Rovers that got his move to Saints. He then developed from there as we went through the leagues and was 29 when he made his Premier League debut.

Not I'm not saying Sam Gallagher is the next Rickie Lambert, but we as Saints fans should know about players that develop late.

So Gallagher needs a few seasons in League One? Sounds good to me.

Funny you say that, Mrs JBS said the moment Sam and Rickie were on the pitch together for the first team, “Sam moves, positions, runs in the same way Rickie does, if you didn’t know any different you would think that they were related”.

Big difference Mr Fry, when Rickie came to us in League one, his physical conditioning was pretty shabby for a professional footballer. A fact he even admitted it himself later in his time with us, he added that Pardew had a word with him to get his “pie and chips” diet sorted out and start acting like a professional sportsman. He obviously heeded that advice and made full use of the back up the club infrastructure had put in place. Sam has grown up with those conditioning disciplines, and as said infinitum has had his loan spells playing with basket case lower league clubs. I think it’s time to give him a spin out in a Saints shirt, his stature alone gives us something that has been missing since Pelle left.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see one of those little and large partnership with Gabbi or Ings (if he has it still) playing off Sam. Ings was most effective at Burnley when teamed up with Vokes who is bigger than him.

Since Pelle (6’4”)left we have had no towering presence up top, even though there is only inches in it against Austin (6’2”) and Gabbi (6’1”) neither of them are renowned aerial players, Long (5’11”) is our aerial threat up front only because he has a good spring, but gets no protection from the officials due to his past reputation, not seen enough of Ings (5’10”) to know his ability in the air, and Redmond (5’8”) is a conundrum.

I just think we are missing a trick with Sam (6’4”). I am happy to be proved wrong but when Long and Redmond only scored 3 goals between them last season, I just can’t see where the risk is in giving Sam the same chance of a few games that inert pair up front have enjoyed.

Mark Hughes said in the press conference today he has 4 strikers. So Gallagher not on his mind?

or Long? It seemed like Long was going to Scotland a couple of weeks ago, and SPL can still sign players. It may be that the deal stalled because Saints could not get his replacement (Ings). Now they have the deal could be resolved. Ings and Long are very similar and it seems more likely that Ings replaces Long than Sam.

or Long? It seemed like Long was going to Scotland a couple of weeks ago, and SPL can still sign players. It may be that the deal stalled because Saints could not get his replacement (Ings). Now they have the deal could be resolved. Ings and Long are very similar and it seems more likely that Ings replaces Long than Sam.

I'd agree. Gallagher offers something different to Long or Ings & maybe it's time for him to be in the first team picture rather than Shane. I'm sure, over the course of a full season, he'd contirbute more than the 1 or 2 goals Long now does.

Mark Hughes said in the press conference today he has 4 strikers. So Gallagher not on his mind?

Yeah we should be getting Long out on loan & giving Gallagher opportunities.

I'd agree. Gallagher offers something different to Long or Ings & maybe it's time for him to be in the first team picture rather than Shane. I'm sure' date=' over the course of a full season, he'd contirbute more than the 1 or 2 goals Long now does.[/quote']

Agree with you all. If someone HAS to go, then I'd rather it was Long than Gallagher. But, as I say, I would go with 5 or call Long a "winger".

If Gallagher is loaned out now then IMO he has no future at Saints (in the PL anyway) and we should hope he does well and then sell next summer for as much as we can. Potentially if he had a great season, the sale of SG could cover the Ings fee.

However, if they like him then we should keep him and try and loan out Long, whose time is surely up at Saints now. He just isn't PL quality and someone else deserves a chance.