Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

Seems strange when we've offered Isgrove contract extension's every year for the last few seasons.

Isgrove was kept on the basis of needing him for squad requirements for European football (A side effect people who demand home grown players quotas should be aware of) and will be let go this summer. As we don't have European football next season I'd be surprised to see these kind of contracts being offered so easily and would also point out we have a big squad right now built for European football which may need trimming.

• 2 weeks later...

He was interviewed on Solent yesterday and he said he is coming back to saints and hopes to get in around the first team but would see what the future holds. I'd like to see him get a chance here to see if he can have some impact on the first team like McQueen and Stephens have done this season.

He was interviewed on Solent yesterday and he said he is coming back to saints and hopes to get in around the first team but would see what the future holds. I'd like to see him get a chance here to see if he can have some impact on the first team like McQueen and Stephens have done this season.

Was at Brentford yesterday and thought Sam had an excellent game, a view endorsed by Sky commentators and the Guardian. A shame there appears to have been anyone from Saints there monitoring as they would have seen a performance of strong running, aerial domination and superb link up play. I may be biased but there is a danger the club may be about to let a real prospect slip from their grasp.

Was at Brentford yesterday and thought Sam had an excellent game, a view endorsed by Sky commentators and the Guardian. A shame there appears to have been anyone from Saints there monitoring as they would have seen a performance of strong running, aerial domination and superb link up play. I may be biased but there is a danger the club may be about to let a real prospect slip from their grasp.
I assume they dont need to watch him if he is coming back. They will assess again when they see him back at ours

I assume they dont need to watch him if he is coming back. They will assess again when they see him back at ours

They continually monitor everyone they loan out. Sometimes in person, but always by video if not. Sam, like all other players loaned to other clubs, would have also been receiving feedback from Saints as well.

They continually monitor everyone they loan out. Sometimes in person' date=' but always by video if not. Sam, like all other players loaned to other clubs, would have also been receiving feedback from Saints as well.[/quote']

He has not heard anything all season

we will almost certainly off load rodriguez and possibly one of long or austin so i can see Sam being 3rd/4th choice next season assuming we will sign another striker. he has the advantage of being more of a target man than the other strikers we have so he may get some game time next season. I think he has good potential, remember his goal v yeovil in cup. His career has somewhat stalled since then but obviously hes had some personal stuff go on since then.

Saints own Facebook page just posted a video of all Sams goals at Blackburn this season, bit like when they show us a new striker they have bought.

I doubt Saints would let him slip through their fingers that easily, having played a tough season of competitive football and found the back of the net a few times. Plus both Coyle and Mowbray having positive things to say about him.

I doubt he's planning to do that and i'm sure that the club are very pleased with how his loan went. It makes perfect sense to sit down now / the end of our season and talk about a new contract. Go to Blackburn and show that you're good enough etc. Sam's done a good job and i'm sure he will be rewarded.

Hope you are right and suspect you are. J Rod is clearly going - assuming we find a buyer who is willing to pay what we want - so there are at least one striker berth spare assuming Gabi, Austin and Long are with us next term. Sam has to go be worth trying and use any investment on the areas supplying the strikers, especially with Tadic probably leaving, Boufal misfiring and Redmond more good than bad, but still finding consistency. Certainly, he didn't work out as a striker but much more potential as a wide player.

Saints own Facebook page just posted a video of all Sams goals at Blackburn this season, bit like when they show us a new striker they have bought.

Good mix of goals: striker's tap ins, powerful runs and shots and some cracking headers, as you would hope. Worth a look at in a better team at a better level!

Maybe after the Luke Shaw being left all alone and getting lonely when he arrived at Man U, and his Mum & Dad having a moan, after pampered life he had enjoyed at Saints. The club might have removed the kid gloves for their own good, no point sending a lad out on loan to improve safe in the knowledge that "Mummy's apron strings" are safely within reach.

Met Sam outside the Saints Bar before the game last night. Very pleasant lad. Didn't ask anything instrusive but he did say he was unsure of plans for next season. He thoroughly enjoyed his time at Blackburn and found it a great experience. Was disappointed for his teammates and more so the fans from the relegation.

Came across very grounded and happy to engage in a conversation.

Just watched the highlights video of all his Blackburn goals, couple of things I noted. Firstly he seems to have gained a yard of pace, and some of those finishes were very clinical. Secondly 4 of the goals were very good headers, so it's crazy to think that whilst we're clearly missing the towering presence of Pelle in the box as we fruitlessly pump crosses into the box, we have a homegrown player away on loan and we don't seem to be that interested in him according to FF.

Given the way they've played this season I'd be more that happy to bin Long and J-Rod off and give Sam a real go.

He's had 2 injuries since Jan, a gashed leg needed 12 stitches and then a hamstring so a lot of those 12 games have been off the bench. With Saints seemingly not bothered there are a lot of Championship clubs beating a path to Ewood and I see Moyes was there again yesterday. I am biased but I really think he has what it takes both in footballing terms and character wise. Certainly Coyle and Mowbray have both been very impressed.

There was talk of Spurs letting Harry Kane go until Tim Sherwood gave him a proper run, the rest is history.

• 1 month later...

"Saints believe he has a huge future..."

Yet they've let his contract run down to its final year before considering offering him another one?

I think he at least deserves a chance to try and impress the new manager. Then again, the club decided against giving Jason McCarthy such an opportunity.

Going to have to find something else to

Moan about now, sure it won't take long although this has Been a hobby horse of yours for a few years now.

Tadic. Good news about Sam though, definite potential.

Edited by Katalinic

Going to have to find something else to

Moan about now, sure it won't take long although this has Been a hobby horse of yours for a few years now.

I am genuinely intrigued why you want to make everything so personal? We must have met?

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

This is brilliant news, but news that I was fully expecting. The club were delighted with Sam's loan at Blackburn. He's a great lad who's had a pretty tough ride. He reminds me of Harry Kane but with more success on loan. He'll display his true potential this season if he can stay injury free. I can see him being ahead of Austin and maybe just behind Gabbiadini in the pecking order. Exciting times and like a new signing.

Now you've done it - I got battered on here for comparing the 2 scenario's of loan moves aiding development of young strikers.

I am genuinely intrigued why you want to make everything so personal? We must have met?

I'm genuinely intrigued as to why someone who has spent much of their life researching the club, writing books about the club and they are very good books, whilst presumably making a reaonable income along the way appears to hate absolutely everything about it.

Haha - indeed. Players with the physique of Gallagher often come into fruition a little later. We shall see but v excited.

I thought before that he looked a bit uncoordinated, as if he hadn't finished growing, and I believe FF confirmed that here. One of his managers in the press during a loan spell mentioned a growth spurt as well. So I continue in my policy to not immediately write-off players if they don't start as the finished article!