Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

Fixed it. Thanks very much.

Even gave you full credit in the 'reason' tab as well.

Thank you. I assumed it's predictive text and whoever wrote the dictionary just throwing words in. Anyway, back on topic: why do people just want to get rid of Gallagher? Ok, so he hasn't started and only had a few minutes here and there as a right-mid but it's a long season and he definitely has something to offer even if he is (obviously) short of the finished product. The only reason I can see to loan him is because he will certainly not feature enough and that playing is better than not. With that in mind, and ignoring his age as he's moved around the country sucessfully, why not a move abroad?

Thank you. I assumed it's predictive text and whoever wrote the dictionary just throwing words in

Predictive text is a pain. Only this morning it spent what seemed like 2 hours convincing me that "Tadic" was "Radical2

Anyway, back on topic: why do people just want to get rid of Gallagher? Ok, so he hasn't started and only had a few minutes here and there as a right-mid but it's a long season and he definitely has something to offer even if he is (obviously) short of the finished product. The only reason I can see to loan him is because he will certainly not feature enough and that playing is better than not. With that in mind, and ignoring his age as he's moved around the country sucessfully, why not a move abroad?

I like Sam. He's big & mobile and offers something different, but if he's 4th choice for one position, then he's better off on the championship at the best club we can find for him. Some good teams seemingly interested too.

There are two C's in successfully ;)

Fcking stupid decision.

Guess it's another season of Long then.

What makes you think he's ready for a season in the prem? Personally I think he and us are much better off with him getting another year of championship football than an occasional 10 mins and a few cup games here. Long was decent the season before last, and properly motivated and used he'll be decent again.

What makes you think he's ready for a season in the prem? Personally I think he and us are much better off with him getting another year of championship football than an occasional 10 mins and a few cup games here. Long was decent the season before last, and properly motivated and used he'll be decent again.

Long can't put the ball in the net regularly and, but for a purple patch under Koeman, has consistently failed to score regularly during his career. An injury to Gabbi and the inevitable injury to Austin and we will be in trouble. If Gallagher is loaned we need another forward.

Long can't put the ball in the net regularly and, but for a purple patch under Koeman, has consistently failed to score regularly during his career. An injury to Gabbi and the inevitable injury to Austin and we will be in trouble. If Gallagher is loaned we need another forward.

Still doesn't address why it's felt Gallagher is ready for the prem. Long possibly not being good enough (in your opinion) doesn't mean Gallagher is.

Agree.

I also think Gallagher could offer us some power and pace up front which we lack, so would prefer him to remain.

Agree.

I also think Gallagher could offer us some power and pace up front which we lack, so would prefer him to remain.

What circumstances would he play ahead of Austin though? Austin is a "different sort" to Gabbiadini and Long, so can't see that Gallagher would get the nod unless Austin was injured. Of course that could happen, which is why I hope we have an option to recall him early if need be.

It's a funny one, because 4 strikers for 1 position seems overkill as 1 is never likely to even make the bench, but as soon as you lose one to injury, only having 3 strikers seems severely lacking!

What circumstances would he play ahead of Austin though? Austin is a "different sort" to Gabbiadini and Long, so can't see that Gallagher would get the nod unless Austin was injured. Of course that could happen, which is why I hope we have an option to recall him early if need be.

It's a funny one, because 4 strikers for 1 position seems overkill as 1 is never likely to even make the bench, but as soon as you lose one to injury, only having 3 strikers seems severely lacking!

Well I'm hoping at some stage MP sees merit in playing two strikers, which could change things. Austin is of course an excellent goalscorer, but lacks the mobility we might need. SG offers this.

If we are going to persist on a solitary striker, then fair enough 4 is a luxury, and SG would be better off - at the right club, with the right manager - gaining experience. But of course an injury to MG, or CA , both of whom had spells out last season (no idea if MG has an injury track record, but we know CA is prone to them) that leaves us with Long. In which case we might give up on goalscoring altogether.

Still doesn't address why it's felt Gallagher is ready for the prem. Long possibly not being good enough (in your opinion) doesn't mean Gallagher is.

Gallagher offers us an option that none of our other forward players do - height - he is a genuine target man. We've got plenty of Long style pacy players that can't finish (Redmond etc). If I had to retain one of Long or Gallagher I'd be retaining Gallagher but I'm not in charge.

I find it strange that we offered him a new deal with all the chat being that he was going to be staying to fight for his place and in less than two months he is being loaned again. Especially to a manager like Harry who has a horrible record for developing young players.

Watching him a lot. I think he could be a quality player but there's a chance that could be delayed or wasted. A lot of luck and timing is involved. A few sub appearances, up appearances for us in the next few months and I think we'd see we have a really good option on our hands.

People can judge on training, loan spells or whatever, but ultimately all that matters is composure and finishing in the premier league. We'll only find that out if he stays.

Long may or may not refind some form. Austin may or may not have a run of fitness, but Gallagher is the only one with the potential to improve and be something better than both of them.

Couldn't have put that better myself

He will be third choice at best, so will he be a better player in a year's time by staying here and training with us but only getting the odd few minutes here and there, or by being first choice on loan? The goal should probably be to get him to point where he is good enough to oust Austin from the first choice backup role at quickly as possible, and if that will be best achieved by sending out on loan for the season then that is what should be done.

Someone not being good enough and never scoring means there's a low bar to improvement. To be a successful third choice striker Gallagher would need to score 4 or 5 goals this season.

Austin is the only target man like player we have. Let's not pretend Austin and Gabbiadini are going to stay fit all season, I'd be surprised if either plays 30 games.

Is Gallagher good enough to score 4 or 5 goals at this level right now? If he is not better than Long (and Long was used a lot more than Gallagher in preseason and has been in the matchday squad, so Pellegrino probably doesn't think so) then he will be well down in the pecking order.

And why wouldn't Gabbiadini stay fit all season?

The only ones who will pay the money supposedly. It's a big fee for a loan - i just hope we have an agreement that he has to play every week.

It was mentioned that there is a penalty if he doesn't play.

Watching him a lot. I think he could be a quality player but there's a chance that could be delayed or wasted. A lot of luck and timing is involved. A few sub appearances, up appearances for us in the next few months and I think we'd see we have a really good option on our hands.

People can judge on training, loan spells or whatever, but ultimately all that matters is composure and finishing in the premier league. We'll only find that out if he stays.

Long may or may not refind some form. Austin may or may not have a run of fitness, but Gallagher is the only one with the potential to improve and be something better than both of them.

Simple scenario/analogy, and a simple question. Just suppose another midtable club, say West brom, have a promising striker. He has a good ish season on loan at a lower level championship club who ultimately get relegated. Say we then wanted to buy that kid and swap him for Long. Are you seriously saying you'd be happy with that? Your suggestion is akin to that.

Southampton forward Sam Gallagher has agreed to join Birmingham on a season-long loan, according to Sky sources.

Harry Redknapp's side have already made two signings today and we understand Gallagher will undergo a medical later before signing terms on the deal.

Southampton forward Sam Gallagher has agreed to join Birmingham on a season-long loan, according to Sky sources.

Harry Redknapp's side have already made two signings today and we understand Gallagher will undergo a medical later before signing terms on the deal.

Oh that's a shame.

Well there goes his career, we all know how great Arry is with young players !

I don't really have too much of an issue with him going there.

Reports up there seemed to think that Derby wanted him on a permanent deal only & we were worried about game-time for him at the other places.

Brum definitely need players & I'm expecting an influx later this window. Wherever he plays the most suits me. Decent sized club, with good ambitions.

Agent Gallagher to smash Redknapp with the ball during training.

So is Sam going to be replaced? The million dollar question. We have three forwards, one injury prone, one newish to the Premiership and Shane Long who I like but is not a goalscorer. Is that enough for a tough season in the Premier League? Playing one upfront the answer could be yes but everytime Gabbiadini gets crunched we will all be wincing

So is Sam going to be replaced? The million dollar question. We have three forwards, one injury prone, one newish to the Premiership and Shane Long who I like but is not a goalscorer. Is that enough for a tough season in the Premier League? Playing one upfront the answer could be yes but everytime Gabbiadini gets crunched we will all be wincing

I think we must have somebody lined up, otherwise there's no way we'd be letting him go.

He will be third choice at best, so will he be a better player in a year's time by staying here and training with us but only getting the odd few minutes here and there, or by being first choice on loan? The goal should probably be to get him to point where he is good enough to oust Austin from the first choice backup role at quickly as possible, and if that will be best achieved by sending out on loan for the season then that is what should be done.

Is Gallagher good enough to score 4 or 5 goals at this level right now? If he is not better than Long (and Long was used a lot more than Gallagher in preseason and has been in the matchday squad, so Pellegrino probably doesn't think so) then he will be well down in the pecking order.

And why wouldn't Gabbiadini stay fit all season?

Because he plays for us, not Leicester. Ditto Austin, etc. If Gallagher does go on loan I hope there is a recall clause (if it's allowed) to provide cover if/when Gabbi and Austin are both out injured.

@BCFC: OFFICIAL: Sam Gallagher has joined Blues on a season-long loan from @SouthamptonFC #BCFC

https://www.bcfc.com/news/articles/2017/sam-gallagher-signs-for-blues/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn&utm_source=Twitter

DHxnkGKXoAELEPw.jpg

BLUES HAVE BEATEN OFF STRONG COMPETITION TO SECURE STRIKER SAM GALLAGHER ON A SEASON-LONG LOAN.

The 6ft 4in Southampton player was wanted by seven clubs, according to Harry Redknapp, and there was late Premier League interest.

But the highly-rated 21-year-old has opted to join Blues and becomes the manager's eighth signing of the summer transfer window.

Redknapp said: "Delighted. I think he's a good centre-forward. He's got a great attitude and scores goals.

"Believe me, there were a lot of clubs who wanted him. I think he's going to be great for us."

Gallagher will wear squad number 18.

He has not been registered in time to figure in Tuesday's Carabao Cup tie, but he will be eligible for both domestic cup competitions thereafter.

Born in Crediton, Devon, Gallagher was in Plymouth Argyle's youth academy - a contemporary of Isaac Vassell - before the Saints snapped him up in April 2012.

He made his debut seven months later and went on to appear 18 times in the Premier League, scoring once.

He was recalled from a six-month loan spell at MK Dons in January 2016 and the next season went to Blackburn Rovers on loan for the season.

Gallagher impressed in a struggling Rover side that got relegated, scoring 11 times in 42 Championship appearances.

He signed a new four-year contract with the Saints this July.

Gallagher represented Scotland at Under-19 level before switching to England in 2014.

Southampton forward Sam Gallagher has joined Birmingham City on a season-long loan.

The 21-year-old links up with Championship club for the rest of the 2017/18 season, and will look to help the Midlands outfit to challenge at the top end of the table.

Gallagher signed a new four-year contract at St Mary’s this summer, after spending the 2016/17 campaign on loan with Blackburn Rovers, where he scored 12 goals, and the move to St Andrew’s will give him the opportunity to improve his game even further with regular game time.

Vice Chairman (Football) Les Reed said: “Sam is a player who gained invaluable experience at Championship level with Blackburn Rovers last season.

“He contributed an impressive 12 goals and we were also really pleased with the improvements to his all-round game during that time. He impressed Mauricio in pre-season and the manager has given Sam some targets to achieve on loan.

“He has many exciting years ahead of him here, after reinforcing his commitment to the club this summer with a new four-year contract

“Sam and the club feel that regular game at Birmingham City, who have strong ambitions to be towards the top end of the Championship, will help him improve even further and we look forward to monitoring his progression.”

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-08-21/sam-gallagher-makes-birmingham-city-loan-move

We must surely have a replacement lined up. Three strikers, with one injury prone, won't cut it. Get Sam back next summer when it will probably be time to move Long on

The club would never go into a season with 3 strikers..................................................... ;)