Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

Adkins the big favourite to take over at Blackburn

Interesting to see how Gallagher does under him if Rovers do go for Nige.

That would pretty much kill any remaining career he has. Considering Rangers desire to bring in what is basically a saints style model I'm surprised they haven't looked at bringing in Adkins.

Another manager who hasn't done a huge amount to justify the fact that he keeps getting jobs. Kind of pleased for Nigel that he hasn't got the job as I think that would have been pretty damaging for his rep when it all went wrong - his rep is dwindling anyway since the high he left us on - but would be nice to see him back in the game soon

That would pretty much kill any remaining career he has. Considering Rangers desire to bring in what is basically a saints style model I'm surprised they haven't looked at bringing in Adkins.

Agreed. Don't understand how he keeps ending up at train wreck clubs. Reading, Blades and now Blackburn. The only thing you can say is that he stopped the rot and reading and sheffield and they are now looking to push onwards.

The manager of Blackburn is on a hiding to nothing. They received £10m in transfer fees close season and gave Coyle £250,000. They've obviously looked at the way Les does business and tried to cut a few corners. ;-)

It's called debt and we would be up to our eyes if our business was left to people like you....... Clueless

Mrs JBS has another point on the board, the few times she has seen him play she likened him to SRL, in one game they were on the pitch together and she said if you didn't know who they were you would think they were father and son, positioning stance, readiness.

As I have said before she has a good eye where football is concerned, she thinks he could be a bit good and hopes it can be with us........... jury is still out on Redders mind!

• 4 weeks later...
Hope he stays, but currently we have Gabby, Austin, JayRod and Shayno vying for one spot up front (when all fit, of course).

I wonder if 4 front players is enough as there may be times when the manager wants to play 2 strikers. The 4 named are supplemented by using wingers such as Redmond and Sims, but Gallagher is a true striker. I suppose the real question is whether the coaches believe he can make the grade for a regular place in a Premier League side. It would be a shame to see him go to Villa in case he helps them to promotion next season and ends up playing in the Prem against us.

I wonder if 4 front players is enough as there may be times when the manager wants to play 2 strikers. The 4 named are supplemented by using wingers such as Redmond and Sims, but Gallagher is a true striker. I suppose the real question is whether the coaches believe he can make the grade for a regular place in a Premier League side. It would be a shame to see him go to Villa in case he helps them to promotion next season and ends up playing in the Prem against us.

Yes I agree with you. That is the way Puel sets us up. One out and out striker ("the old number 9") supplemented by 2 assistants to create (Redmond, Boufal, Tadic, Sims). He hasn't yet gone 4-4-2 and I'm not sure he will. Agree with Simo that Jay will likely be one to move on, so maybe that will open the way for Gallagher. But will he accept being a deputy? I hope he stays, but he may see playing regularly as preferable.

• 3 weeks later...
Another goal for Blackburn. Really think we should be giving him another contract even if he is loaned out again next season as he clearly has potential.

That would be the same Sam G who was described by a Rovers supporter on Twitter as the one who has not won a header in 6 months. Sam did well in the early part of the season but has not done much this year until today.

That would be the same Sam G who was described by a Rovers supporter on Twitter as the one who has not won a header in 6 months. Sam did well in the early part of the season but has not done much this year until today.

Think he got injured and was out for a while before Coyle got sacked. You only have to look at the opinions on here to take the opinion of any fan with a pinch of salt. There are clearly clubs interested and he has scored goals in a struggling side. So worth a 2 year extension imo to see how he develops.

Getting someone in to be third or fourth choice striker seems to make a mockery of being a club that promotes academy players.

Long and Rodriguez have been utter crap this season and both are on big wages. We don't have Europe and we play 1 up front. Austin and Gabbiadini will pick up the odd injury but you'd hope we wouldn't need to start anyone else regularly. I'd be disappointed if at least one of Gallagher, Seager and Olomola wasn't used as back up.

I wouldn't be adverse to selling Long, Austin and J Rod. I don't think the first 2 suit Puel and J Rod just hasn't been the same player. With their combined wages off the books, I'd hope we could get someone in significantly better.

I wouldn't be adverse to selling Long, Austin and J Rod. I don't think the first 2 suit Puel and J Rod just hasn't been the same player. With their combined wages off the books, I'd hope we could get someone in significantly better.

Agree. Austin's movement is poor and he is injury prone. Long misses too many chances and Jay needs a move for his own sake.

Not sure Gallagher is PL quality but another loan at a better team would be good. Moyes was watching him again today and has done a lot, be interesting to see if we would sell or only loan.

Puel didn't exactly speak glowingly about SG earlier in the season and ultimately most Championship strikers struggle at PL level, albeit with a few exceptions.

His first goal in 12 games today apparently. Hard to fully judge though as he's playing in a poor side.

He's had 2 injuries since Jan, a gashed leg needed 12 stitches and then a hamstring so a lot of those 12 games have been off the bench. With Saints seemingly not bothered there are a lot of Championship clubs beating a path to Ewood and I see Moyes was there again yesterday. I am biased but I really think he has what it takes both in footballing terms and character wise. Certainly Coyle and Mowbray have both been very impressed.

Think we should keep him for now at least - we have kept other young players far longer when we knew deep down they would not make it. SG is only 21 and under Coyle, who guided and nurtured him did well. Keep him, loan him to Sunderland next year (suits their type of play) and see how he does - what's the downside? They pay his wages and give him more experience - only thing is not sure Moyes is the right manager to bring him on.

As for JRod - shame but the injury has cost him, and better all around if he can get some regular game time elsewhere where he can maybe try and get some of his old form back - he will not get it here. I know we stood by him and all that, but honestly I dread when he comes on, let alone starts. Such a shame as he was a true talent at his peak. Again maybe a season long loan with the loanee club picking up his wages and biggish sell on option?

Think we should keep him for now at least - we have kept other young players far longer when we knew deep down they would not make it. SG is only 21 and under Coyle, who guided and nurtured him did well. Keep him, loan him to Sunderland next year (suits their type of play) and see how he does - what's the downside? They pay his wages and give him more experience - only thing is not sure Moyes is the right manager to bring him on.

As for JRod - shame but the injury has cost him, and better all around if he can get some regular game time elsewhere where he can maybe try and get some of his old form back - he will not get it here. I know we stood by him and all that, but honestly I dread when he comes on, let alone starts. Such a shame as he was a true talent at his peak. Again maybe a season long loan with the loanee club picking up his wages and biggish sell on option?

To keep him the club would have to offer him a new contract as his existing one runs out in 12 months.

To keep him the club would have to offer him a new contract as his existing one runs out in 12 months.

If the club let him go its an absolute disgrace.

Really becoming dissatisfied again. Looks like we once again have the rumblings of player unrest, a board that are going to say players aren't leaving (but then VVD, Cedric, Bertrand, Tadic all being linked with moves)... Feels like the end of Poch's reign all over again.

If the club let him go its an absolute disgrace.

Really becoming dissatisfied again. Looks like we once again have the rumblings of player unrest, a board that are going to say players aren't leaving (but then VVD, Cedric, Bertrand, Tadic all being linked with moves)... Feels like the end of Poch's reign all over again.

Of they let him go it will be because they feel that whilst he is a good player, he isn't good enough to play regularly in a good team at PL level.

That wouldn't be a disgrace IMO.

What is the normal policy with players this age? Do we often review in the final year?

I would have said we would have them signed up by now.

From Sam's point of view, he's in a really strong position as he's got big teams after him.

Let's be honest, it's probably better to be playing every week in the championship than not playing a game in the Prem.

Then offer him a new 2 to 3 year contact - it's not going to be that much is it? I am sure we can match Blackburn's offer, and if we do get rid we should get at least enough of a fee to cover the contract - we all see how much ordinary non PL players (specially English ones) are going for. Can not see how it makes sense to let him go at this stage.

Then offer him a new 2 to 3 year contact - it's not going to be that much is it? I am sure we can match Blackburn's offer, and if we do get rid we should get at least enough of a fee to cover the contract - we all see how much ordinary non PL players (specially English ones) are going for. Can not see how it makes sense to let him go at this stage.

I agree entirely. Blackburn can't afford him but Saints seem to be reluctant to talk.

Seems strange when we've offered Isgrove contract extension's every year for the last few seasons.

What is the situation with Isgrove?

Is he injured as hasn't been featuring at U23 level recently

Not really up to Prem football.

Possibly OK at Championship/League 1 level

I think we are all agreed - and wording our comments in different ways - that we should offer him a new contract.

After that, let's see the in and outs over the close season, making a decision before the season starts on whether he stays on as part of our playing squad, or is loaned out for next season.

Either way, we need to retain him at this stage. Definitely not release him or sell him.