Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

Thought he offered nothing I'm afraid. For those who says he needs minutes, he isn't going to get them, he needs to impress in the minutes that he is on, he didn't. Josh Simms showed a lot more in the Spurs game, a much better option.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I don't think he will make it at Saints but some OTT stuff here. He came on when we were defending deep and it was basically him and Redmond/Sims versus their whole defence with no support.

He didn't stand out but was certainly no worse than a lot of Austin's appearances. That said, the only time he had a sniff he was way too slow to play Sims in and was tackled leading to their last corner.

Should have decent resale value in the summer if RH doesn't want him.

Cream rises to the top, I don't think he'll make the grade with us. Given his wages I suspect we'll struggle to find a buyer in the Summer.

Are they that high? I wouldn't have put it past Les but it would have been ludicrous to offer him a contract that would price him out of most Championship clubs.

I can't see him being here next season, he'll be 24 and has never at any point looked close to being a Premier League player.

Was absolutely magnificent. Looks to be the complete forward, great in the air, pace, power, great touch. It was obvious why Birmingham fans loved him and so many championship clubs wanted him. The new Marco Van Basten. I can see why his cause has been championed by certain posters for so long.

A bitter/sweet satirical piece from Turkish which nails the uncomfortable truth - Gallagher is not up to standard and should have been able/forced to pursue another Club (Championship) some time ago. I thought Ralph erred in not replacing Ings with Sims who deserved a longer stint on the basis of that second half v Spurs. Sims pace, movement and direct running would have eased the pressure on our defence and given us a counter attacking outlet.

Doesn’t look like he’s improved in the air since he played 4/5 years ago. If we were going to use him as a target man, Austin would have been a better bet. Gallager’s much more mobile yet we rarely hit balls down the channels for him to chase and stretch Brighton.

He's just so short of minutes, though.

How will more minutes make him better in the air? Nonetheless, the simple point is that he's short of premier league minutes cos he's a short of the standard needed to be a premier league striker.

• 1 month later...
It seems he's not going to get the chance here, sadly IMHO, so only right to let him further his career elsewhere, if that is the case.

As Dusic said the other day, players like Sam G are the easier players to shift should we choose to do so...

I think Sam needs a run somewhere else. Unlucky with injuries & he’s of an age where he needs to play.

This. He needs to go and probably will but I think his leaving could come back to haunt us.

Great for him if it proves to haunt us.

You’d know better than me, FF, but for me, he was unlucky this year.

He seemed to be caught between U23’s & the first team so couldn’t get enough game time to get anywhere near match fit.

This. He needs to go and probably will but I think his leaving could come back to haunt us.

Can’t say he’s done anything particularly haunting so far; we need to be aiming much higher than Gallagher if we want to avoid a third straight season fighting the drop.

Who was the last academy player we really dropped the ball by releasing? Probably Phillips 30 odd years ago.

Nothing new, but...

GALLAGHER FREE TO LEAVE

Southampton are willing to let striker Sam Gallagher leave the club this summer, Sky Sports News understands.

Gallagher, who has two years remaining on his current contract, featured only six times for the Saints last season.

The 23-year-old is understood to have already attracted interested from clubs in the Premier League and Sky Bet Championship.

Gallagher has previously spent time on loan at Milton Keynes Dons, Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City.

His spell on loan at Blackburn saw him produce the best goal scoring return of his career so far, netting 12 in 47 appearances while being deployed mainly in a wide role.

Gallagher previously represented Scotland at U19 level before switching his allegiances to England and then featured for the Three Lions at U19 and U20 level.

It's time to leave. I rate him but if he stays here not getting games he'll waste his career. A decent championship side and he can become a really good striker.

Yeah I disappointed he didn’t get at least one start this season but it’s clearly time for him to go elsewhere now.

Same with hesketh who I also like as a player.

Seriously. How many players have left us in recent years, to lower placed sides, that have then come back to haunt us?

Seriously. How many players have left us in recent years, to lower placed sides, that have then come back to haunt us?

Zero? Edited by CB Fry

Won't haunt us at all. Numerous managers now have not rated him enough to get into our team. He needs to play like you said and he'll have to do that away from here. If one day he's some hot shot striker banging them in the PL (Not totally ridiculous tbf, he has potential) then it will be because he's had the opportunity to play somewhere regularly. It won't haunt us because he's not good enough for us now and keeping him is pointless for us and pointless for him. Same with Hesketh, Reed and dare I say it Sims.

Some ‘Happy Clappy’ rose tinted glasses on here with regards to Gallagher’s ability.

He is at best a championship player and by quite a distance not good enough for us.

This. If he had the ability to improve is last season, Ralph would have played him.

• 4 weeks later...

Alan Nixon saying he’s willing to take a wage drop to get a move.

@reluctantnicko: SOUTHAMPTON. Young Gallagher ready to take a drop to get a move. Helps BLACKBURN and BRENTFORD with their interest. Well done him.
Edited by SuperSAINT

SSN report Blackburn are in talks...

GALLAGHER TO BLACKBURN?

Blackburn are in talks with Southampton over a permanent deal for Sam Gallagher, Sky Sports News understands.

However, there are other Championship clubs showing strong interest in the 23-year-old forward.

Sky Sports News revealed in May that the academy graduate would be allowed to leave the Saints permanently following a number of loans, which included Blackburn during 2017-18.

Gallagher, who has two years remaining on his current contract, featured only six times for Southampton last season.

I'm sorry to see him go without getting an opportunity in the first team. Annoying when you consider the dross we've persevered with elsewhere, in defence, and the non-performing of Austin and Long towards the end of the season on the bench.

But bow to RH's judgement, and it's clear that SG needs to move on. Hope it works for him and that we retain a healthy sell on % in case it comes back to haunt us.

Makes sense and will be far easier to sell the likes of Gallagher, Targett, Reed, Hesketh, McQueen (none of whom are PL quality) than Carillo, Hoedt, Forster etc who we will have to loan out.

These guys will fund the moves we want to make.

Just put a decent sell on clause in (or even a buyback).

I’m not sure why this sale should “come back to haunt us.” The club have had long enough to access his potential and it looks like that is Championship level. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are a Championship club. He looks like he will do ok at that level but the fact that Premiership clubs aren’t queuing up for his services tells you all you need to know. He doesn’t look like the type of striker who is now going to massively improve, which he would need to if he was going to play at the highest level.

I'm sorry to see him go without getting an opportunity in the first team. Annoying when you consider the dross we've persevered with elsewhere, in defence, and the non-performing of Austin and Long towards the end of the season on the bench.

But bow to RH's judgement, and it's clear that SG needs to move on. Hope it works for him and that we retain a healthy sell on % in case it comes back to haunt us.

“without getting an opportunity”

He had enough of those to demonstrate that he wasn’t up to it.